more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (20/07/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 20, 2014, 08:41:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Stockdale Brighton Bound?

As the pre-season friendly fixtures continue with Fulham playing Crawley Town today, it appears that we could have seen the last of David Stockdale in a Fulham shirt.

Stockdale, who ousted the Dutch keeper Maarten Stekelenbug last season to claim the keepers` jersey, is being linked with a move to our Championship rivals Brighton and Hove Albion.

A fee of £1 million is being quoted for the services of the 28 year-old keeper Fulham signed from Darlington but who has only made 39 appearances in the six years he`s been at Craven Cottage.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=363973#ixzz37zaFp08t

WhiteJC

Fulham sink Crawley with first half double strike

Crawley Town went down 2-0 to Fulham in their third pre-season friendly.

Goals from Kostas Stafylidis and Hugo Rodallega in the space of three first half minutes decided a fairly even contest against a strong Cottagers line-up.

Reds worked hard in stifling temperatures but were unable to break down the Fulham defence having plundered 19 goals in their opening two friendlies against Billingshurst and Oakwood.

The closest they came was when Izale McLeod brought a good save out of Jesse Joronen while trialist Bobson Bawling also went close.

Crawley began brightly in a 4-4-1-1 formation featuring Josh Simpson in an advanced midfield role but Fulham slowly gained the ascendancy.

Brian Jensen produced two good saves to deny Cauley Woodrow and Lass Vigen Christiansen while at the other end Izale McLeod put his header wide after being picked out by a lovely cross from Conor Henderson.

Fulham were enjoying plenty of room down their left flank and it was full-back Stafalydis that gave them the lead in the 32nd minute.

Christiansen rolled a ball into his path on the left edge of the box and the Greece international drove a low shot inside the far post.

Stafylidis was involved again three minutes later as Fulham doubled their advantage. The on-loan Bayer Leverkusen defender sent in a low cross which presented Rodallega with a simple tap in from eight yards.

Fulham made four changes at half-time while Crawley introduced goalkeeper Raphael Spiegel for his debut following his loan signing from West Ham yesterday.

Both teams made further regular substitutions throughout the second half – Crawley making ten in total with only Jimmy Smith playing the entire 90 minutes - as the game lost the rhythm it had in the opening 45 minutes.

McLeod tested Marcus Bettinelli with a low shot while trialist Bobson Bawling almost scored with his first touch as he stretched to turn a cross from Simpson narrowly wide.

Fulham went closer to adding to their lead as Moussa Dembele headed over from a corner and then crashed a shot onto the underside of the bar from close range.

Reds almost nicked a consolation near the end when trialist Emmett O'Connor sent a dipping shot from 25 yards just over the bar.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/11353028._/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss eyes more signings

Magath after a centre-back and midfielder to boost options

Felix Magath wants to add up to three more players to his squad as he continues his summer overhaul at Craven Cottage.

Kostas Stafylidis, Shaun Hutchinson, Tim Hoogland and Adam Taggart were the new signings on show as a youthful Fulham side cruised to a 2-0 pre-season friendly win at Crawley this afternoon.

And boss Magath is hoping to add a few more experienced heads to his camp as he bids to secure promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt.

He said: "We are building a new team for the future. We have a lot of young players and need some who are more experienced so we have a good mixture.

"We are thinking about two or three players more, so will see how it develops. We need a central defender and a midfield player."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-boss-eyes-more-signings-7459535?

WhiteJC

Magath hopes Fulham's World Cup stars will stay

Cottagers chief wants trio to remain at club for Championship challenge

Felix Magath is hopeful of keeping Fulham's World Cup stars at Craven Cottage.

Get West London revealed last month that the German boss was planning on life in the Championship with Bryan Ruiz and Kostas Mitroglou, despite relegation from the Premier League.

Olympiakos have shown an interest in Ruiz, Beskitas want Mitroglou on loan, while Iranian international Ashkan Dejagah is also attracting admiring glances.

However, Magath remains bullish of Fulham's chances of retaining the trio.

When asked if they would still be at the club beyond the end of the August transfer window, he said: "Yes, sure.

"The players need a rest. They have three weeks holiday [after the World Cup]. Dejagah and Mitroglou are due back on Sunday and Ruiz is coming back next week."

Meanwhile, the Cottagers will head to Austria for a pre-season training camp after next weekend's friendly in the US against DC United.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/magath-hopes-fulhams-world-cup-7459760?

WhiteJC

Fulham head to Austria for pre-season training camp

Cottagers to continue Championship preparations in Europe

Fulham will be heading to Austria for a pre-season training camp as they continue their preparations for the new campaign.

The Cottagers recently returned from a tour to Scotland and cruised past Crawley Town in another friendly on Saturday.

Felix Magath's men fly out to the US on Thursday to take on MLS outfit DC United at the home of Jacksonville Jaguars, who are owned by Fulham supremo Shahid Khan.

The west Londoners will then head to Europe for a camp in Austria ahead of the big Championship kick-off against Ipswich on August 9.

Boss Magath said: "There are some players at the World Cup on vacation and we need some time to work on the team and progress.

"We go to America on Thursday and then a training camp in Austria."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-head-austria-pre-season-training-7459718?

WhiteJC

Fulham ease past Crawley

Hugo Rodallega: Scored in friendly win
Goals from Kostas Staflydis and Hugo Rodallega secured a 2-0 win for Fulham in their pre-season friendly at Crawley.

Left-back Stafylidis broke forward and found space to fire an unstoppable shot past Brian Jensen to give the visitors the lead after half an hour.

And two minutes later Stafylidis turned provider, squaring the ball for an unmarked Rodallega to tap in the second.

Izale McLeod missed a good chance for John Gregory's Crawley when he fired wide from eight yards out, while Moussa Dembele hit the crossbar for Fulham late on.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/319919/report?

WhiteJC

Manager Reaction

Felix Magath was "satisfied" after watching his Fulham side secure a 2-0 victory over Sky Bet League One outfit Crawley Town on Saturday afternoon.

Two goals in quick succession from Kostas Stafylidis and Hugo Rodallega proved the difference, and the Whites Manager was pleased with what he saw.

"Especially in the first half I was very satisfied with the game," he stated. "It was quite good but at the moment we have done a lot of work in the last three weeks and now we have the time to settle down.

"We've done a lot of physical work and now we begin to work on our style of play. This game today was quite good and I'm satisfied."

Stafylidis' fine arrowed strike was his second goal in as many games from left-back, and when it was put to Magath that Fulham fans will enjoy watching the 20-year-old this season, he replied: "Not only the Fulham fans, me too!

"He is the type of player I want. He's a defensive player but he looks to go forward and you have seen that he is dangerous. He has dangerous crosses and he has a good shot so I'm very glad with him."

This summer has been one of transition at Fulham, with a significant overhaul of playing personnel. It's a circumstance Magath admits isn't ideal, but he insists he is building for the future of the Club.

"That is a very difficult situation but we'll make the best of it," he said. "We have a lot of new players and a lot of young players. I think I have 18 players under [the age of] 22 so we built up a new team, we built up a new team for the future of Fulham, so we have a lot of work at the moment.

"We have the situation where some players were at the World Cup and they are still on vacation. They come back the next days so we don't have a full staff together at the moment so we need a little time to work with the team to progress."

There has been speculation on the futures of those three individuals Magath referred to, but when asked if they would still be Fulham players come the end of the transfer window, the German was forthright in his response.

"Yeah sure, why not?" he stated. "Right now they had three weeks holidays, so that's it. The players need a rest and [Kostas] Mitroglou and [Ashkan] Dejagah will come back on Sunday, and Bryan Ruiz is coming back next week because he has played longer in the World Cup with Costa Rica."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/19/manager-reaction

WhiteJC

Crawley Town 0-2 Fulham: Kostas Stafyldis scores and provides assist as Felix Magath finally finds Greek he can rely on
Stafylidis scored a 20-yard opener and provided assist for Hugo Rodallega
The left-back is on loan from Bundesliga outfit Bayer Leverkusen
New £11million signing Ross McCormack did not feature due
Crawley's veteran Danish goalkeeper Brian Jensen made several good saves
Fulham playmaker Chris David limped off after challenge from Jimmy Smith

Kostas Stafylidis can help Fulham banish the memories of last season's Greek tragedy.

The marauding left-back, picked up by Felix Magath on loan from Bayer Leverkusen, was the star of the show for the Championship side at League One Crawley.

And the impressive display of Stafylidis, 20, was in stark contrast to record signing and £12.4million flop Konstantinos Mitroglou last season.

Greek success: Kostas Stafylidis (second right) scored and assisted during Fulham's 2-0 victory at Crawley

Fresh start: Fulham boss Felix Magath hopes to get promoted back to the Premier League at the first attempt

Plagued by injuries World Cup misfit Mitroglou made little contribution as Fulham slumped out of the Premier League - and now seems certain to leave.

But playing almost as a left winger compatriot Stafylidis cracked in a 20-yard angled drive for the opener and then teed up Colombian striker Hugo Rodallega for the second.

Scotland assistant boss Mark McGhee, once tipped to team up with Magath, arrived to check on Fulham's £11m man Ross McCormack – but was left disappointed.

The 27-year-old international, short of match fitness after missing out on a full pre-season following his move from Leeds, did not feature.

Veteran Danish keeper Brian Jensen, known as 'The Beast' and signed this summer by Crawley boss John Gregory, pulled off smart saves to deny Rodallega and Lasse Vigen Christiansen.

Goalscorers: Hugo Rodallega (second left) and Stafylidis (second right) scored Fulham's two goals

Action: Fulham and Crawley's pre-season match was a good run-out for both sides ahead of the new season

Watching on: Crawley Town manager John Gregory saw his side lose 2-0 to Championship team Fulham

One of Crawley's 13 summer arrivals Izale McLeod should have scored after 23 minutes, the striker putting a free header wide.

And shortly after just past the half-hour Stafylidis beat Jensen before two minutes later setting up Rodallega for a simple finish from five yards.

On the hour Crawley gave a run-out to triallist and former Fulham Premier League forward Collins John.

And the only scare for Fulham was a crunching challenge from Red Devils' midfielder Jimmy Smith on playmaker Chris David, who limped off shortly after.

Pre-season: Fulham midfielder Scott Parker prepares ahead of the warm-up before the match

Salute: Crawley Town's Collins John waves to the Fulham fans, a club he used to represent

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2698465/Crawley-Town-0-2-Fulham-Kostas-Stafyldis-scores-provides-assist.html#ixzz37zeyDbXn
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Woking 0-0 Fulham U21s

Fulham's Under-21s played out a 0-0 draw in a pre-season friendly at Woking on Saturday.

In scorching hot conditions at Kingfield Stadium, Woking, who defeated Falkirk 3-2 last week, were the better side in the first half.

On a sticky pitch, Fulham's normal fluid passing game let them down. The hosts had the lions' share of possession with Fulham Academy Coach Kevin Betsy going close against his employers when he forced an early save from Marek Rodàk.

Fulham's best chance fell to Stephen Arthurworrey in the opening stages of the second half. The towering centre-back rose to met Dean O'Halloran's free-kick from the left but saw his header brilliantly saved by Woking keeper Jake Cole.

Rodàk then saved from Woking trialist Hicham Abdellah as the game petered out in the summer sun.

Woking: Howe (Cole 46), Newton (Xabi 72), Cestor (Bonella 72), Ricketts, McNerney (Brice 72), Jones (Lewis 46), Payne (Nelson-Eddy 64), Murtagh, Goddard (Beccles 72), Betsy (Abdellah 64), Rendell (Sole 64).

Fulham: Rodàk, Passley (Baba 46), Richards (Saunders 56), Sambou, Arthurworrey, Na Bangna (Plumain 46), Brister (Smile 46), O'Halloran, Della Verde, Evans.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/19/woking-v-u21s?

WhiteJC

Goals could help former Fulham, Nice and AFC Wimbledon winger put

YOUSSOUF Bamba cracked home another wonder goal against Peterborough United and told the Observer he hopes he has done enough to earn a deal at Bishop's Stortford FC this season.

The winger, who has previously been at OGC Nice and Fulham at youth level, has been at the centre of controversy in recent years.

In February last year, Bamba was given a contract at AFC Wimbledon after a string of impressive displays for the club's under-18s.

Then in October of the same year he was dismissed from the Sky Bet League Two club, with a club statement saying: "Following a disciplinary hearing to investigate recently discovered irregularities in his registration documents, Youssouf Bamba has been dismissed for gross misconduct. The club will be making no further comment on the matter."

Despite playing for the AFC Wimbledon U-18s last year, Bamba told the Observer on Saturday that he is 23-years-old.

He then spent a brief spell at Walton Casuals in the Ryman League before leaving for Farnborough, with the Walton website claiming he had "signed for Farnborough FC following complications and misconduct at the Waterside Stadium".

All of which brings Bamba to the ProKit UK and what will hopefully be a fresh start for the winger.

He scored a rocket from outside the box in the first half in the 2-0 win against a young Peterborough United XI side, mirroring a similar strike against Burnham Ramblers in the Blues' first pre-season friendly.

"I was at AFC Wimbledon last year. They didn't give me a contract for this year so I thought I'd look to play competitive football somewhere else," he told the Observer.

"Colin [Blues' assistant manager Colin Reid] told me to come down here as it was a decent set-up and he wasn't lying. It's very good.

"I wanted to take my chance at the part-time level and give it a right old go and get the fun back into my football."

He added: "I haven't signed up yet. We're in discussions and hopefully we're going to sort something out soon. That's all in the pipeline and hopefully something will be sorted out this week.

"I think this is a team that plays to my sort of style and I'm very committed and I want to stay here and I hope everything works out. I feel I can benefit from the coaches here. I think they can take me to the next level."

He was happy with the team's efforts against Peterborough on a very hot Saturday afternoon.

"It was a very good game," he said. "I thought we did well. We passed the ball well. In this league we won't get many teams close to us if we pass the way the way we did today.

"I think it was a good run-out for everybody, especially myself. The game suited us as both sides wanted to play football. The tempo was really good. They play full-time so they were very fit and energetic. I thought we matched them and play much better than they did, in terms of controlling the game and the two goals proved that.

"As the game came on, lots of substitutions were always bound to happen and the tempo died down. I thought first half they couldn't get anywhere near us."

On his wonder goal, he explained how it came about.

"The game started off really quickly and we got the ball and tried to attack," he said.

"The gaffer has been talking to me about trying to get in the pocket, between the midfield and the defence, to try to get on the half-turn and drive on. That's what he's been getting me to work on in training.

"I just thought I'd get on the ball, drive forward and nobody came out to close me down, so I just thought I'd have a go and luckily it went in.

"I don't want to give it away, but it's a bit of a trademark of mine! I like to play on the right or the left and cut inside. I'm a very attacking player and I like to drive forward and commit defenders. If I can slide someone in I will, but if I can have a go I will.

"I did score a similar last week, so hopefully it can keep happening and I can get more and more goals."

Bamba is confident that the Blues can do well this year with a youthful approach.

"Most of the players in the squad are quite young and we're always going to work hard," he explained.

"Young players always have that enthusiasm to work hard and graft. We're not scared of anything.

"Myself, I'll do anything to help the team, whether it be going forward or getting back to defend, or putting balls into the box.

"I think we can have a right go in this league as I don't think many teams will be able to keep up with us and the way we play football. We're very hungry. We can go as far as we want."

Blues boss Rod Stringer admitted to the Observer that Bamba has talent, but he has not made up his mind yet as to whether he will fit into his squad this season.

"Youssouf has scored two of the best goals I've seen in non-league football - the one against Burnham Ramblers and the one again today," he said.

"He's got bundles of ability and an absolute hammer of a strike, but sometimes he plays completely off the cuff and for himself.

"That's going to be a little bit frustrating in our system. So he needs to understand that we play as a unit and everybody needs to have so many touches of the ball. I think Youssouf plays very much as an individual and when he's on fire, he's very good at that.

"But people like that, people double up on them. If he keeps doing the same trick he'll get caught out and then he'll become a bit redundant and that frustrates the rest of the players.

"We'll have another look at him over the next couple of games and then we'll go from there."

http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/Sport/Blues-News/Goals-could-help-former-Fulham-Nice-and-AFC-Wimbledon-winger-put-controversy-behind-him-at-Bishops-Stortford-20140719201226.htm?

WhiteJC

Brighton to offer £1m for David Stockdale

Fulham's vitalfootball.co.uk page reports that Brighton are set to offer Fulham £1m for goalkeeper David Stockdale

Keeper Stockdale kept out Dutch keeper Maarten Stekelenberg in the number one stop at Craven Cottage, but he is being heavily linked with SkyBet Championship rivals Brighton and Hove Albion.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/brighton-to-offer-1m-for-david-stockdale-101/?