more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP Grandad - a proper fulham fan

Started by dannyboi-ffc, July 23, 2014, 08:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj____

BraveDaveFFC

A very touching post Danny!! I certainly do not think it was a waste of a post to sit down and write it.. quite the opposite I would add!! I hope (as i would many other Fulham supporters would as well) that they found your eulogy
to be very uplifting as well as very sad!! RIP Cyril.. People like you and Danny are the reason we are proud to support Fulham!!   Fulham FC..always playing on peoples emotions eh?? COYW

Peabody

Sorry for you and your family's loss. Remember when my uncle, who took me to my first Fulham game in 1946, died in 1965, it hit me hard, though I I don't think I could have written such a touching eulogy.

Cottage Industry

Your eulogy on your Grandad was lovely to read and it prompted me to reply as it reminded me so much of my father. He loved Fulham and trained under Frank Penn to become an International Referee for the F.A. He often refereed friendly matches but that made no difference to the way he would conduct a match. He was a strict man and allowed no quarter to any of the players. If it was a dangerous tackle he made no mistake it noting that player in his book, remarking at the time that if he made a tackle like that again when he was refereeing then he would be straight off. I was taken to my first football match at the age of four and my mother and I sat in the directors box where I was told that I could not call out to my father, but was to sit quietly and say nothing! The whole family was involved with Fulham, we lived in Queensmill Road, my uncle in Langthorne Street, my Grandfather in Greswell Street. On Bank holidays the whole familly turned out and we all stood on the riverside terraces. At the  end of the match we all trooped back to Grandfather's house and the inquest would ensue! I am now 82 years old and as we live in Carlisle there is little chance for me to see Fulham live except on the TV
On one of the few times that my father was able to see me play for my school, at the end of the match I thought that I had had a good game and I said to him " How did I play Dad?" he replied " You would play a great deal better if you learnt to kick with your left foot!" After that a practiced for hours on end using my left foot and when I came to play for the firm I worked for they said "What foot do you kick with" I replied "Both, I can play left half, right half inside right or inside left, it makes no difference"!! I also asked my father about smoking he said " If you want to be a good footballer DON'T SMOKE" I have never smoked but I was never a great footballer!!
May your Grandad RIP as my father does in Putney Hill Cemetary and thank you for such a lover tribute.

Thamesbank

So sorry to hear of your loss Danny - RIP Cyril

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

My Condolences to you and your family.

I can relate to your Grandad with my Dad, who was a lifetime Aldershot fan.
On his 80th birthday they dedicated a game to him, presented the
signed match ball and introduced him to all the players of both teams.
He was so moved by it all it was very emotional for all concerned.
He was still making his way to many matches a season, mainly by
public transport and 'lifts' when he died aged 83, 17 years ago.

I hope you can relate to my comparison and the fact that it's folks like
your Grandad and my dad, crammed into the grounds in their 'cheesecutters"
who are the backbone of clubs histories, and will always remain so, particularly
in our memories.

RIP your Grandad
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

jmh

Sorry for your loss, Danny.  May he rest in peace.

ToodlesMcToot

Truly sorry for your and your family's loss dannyboi. Having gone thru a similar situation earlier this year, I feel I have a fair understanding of what you must be going thru.

I'm certain your grandad would be truly happy to read what you've written about him, know how you feel about him, and especially see that you're rooting with him for our club.

I hope you and your family a doing well and improving day by day.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

The Bronsons

Cyril sounds Fulham through and through. Even his predictions and the fact we go down the one time he said we wouldn't - it's proper Fulhamish!

RIP and sincere condolences to you and your family.

HatterDon

my condolences to your entire family, and a sincere thanks for keeping his flame bright by bringing in the next generation.  9739.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RidgeRider

Thanks for posting this piece honoring your Grandad. True Fulham supporter. Keeps things in perspective.

jarv

My condolences. Excellent post.
I wish this forum had been around when my stepfather (Fulham through and through) died. It was the Keegan era. I did write a letter to Keegan, hoping to get a short piece about my stepdad printed in a programme. He responded negatively but to be fair the reasons were valid, his letter was personal and he did say he wanted to invite my son and I to a game to meet personally. Unfortunately, he took the England job soon after that.
Again, sorry for your loss.

bulgariawhite

Condolences. He was a true fan. I now know some of my relatives up there have another fan to reminisce with and enjoy his company

PeterFFC

Deepest thoughts go to you and your family and friends.
A lovely post, thank you so much. This to me is what Fulham is about.
Rest In Peace

jms

What a wonderful post, and equally wonderful responses from the Fulham faithful. There is no other club like it. RIP Cyril, you had impeccable taste ! 049:gif

callumc513

Condolences to you and your family, the man sounds like a true Fulham nut!
RIP, Cyril.

crazycottager

He sounds like a phenomenal supporter, and i can't be sincere enough in passing on my deepest condolences to you and your family

Forever Fulham

There sure is a sense of family about this club, of connection.  Your grandpa is a great  example. 

terryr

I'm sorry for your loss.
Wonderful post
Terry

Twig

Sincere condolences, and this was absolutely the opposite of a waste of a post.