watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Brighton manage a draw at Crawley

Started by Scrumpy, July 23, 2014, 10:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

...only managed a 1-1 draw at Crawley tonight, having conceded a Collins John header early on.  It was a rather fortunate equalizer by all accounts too.

And they only took 1300 fans!

Clutching at straws? Me?
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Blanco

They weren't very impressive when I saw them against Betis.

Pre seasons though...

Fernhurst

We all are Scrumpy  :58:  :58:

The atmosphere on this magnificent board is one being part of the 3 foot Pygmy tribe living in 4 foot cornfields. " Wherethefeckarewe " is the cry. A 4-0 result either way in our first game should sort us out !!
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Rhys Lightning 63

They allowed Collins John to score??? PUT YOUR MORTGAGE ON THEM TO GO DOWN. No team is that bad as to allow Collins John to score
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Nero

Thing with Brighton is they keep having a new manager each season. They've had 2 good ones odds are they're going get a duff one and don't think hypia got a good record.

Holders

When I had the misfortune to work in Crawley most people at work were Brighton fans with Palace close behind. so it surprises me that there were only 1300 there. And Collins John scored! Must have been a deflection off his @rse.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Arthur

Quote from: Scrumpy on July 23, 2014, 10:41:14 PM
...only managed a 1-1 draw at Crawley tonight

Of course, it is only one game and nothing conclusive about ourselves and Brighton can be drawn from it etc.

It does, all the same, bring into focus the issue of how likely we are to do well next season. I've seen claims from some on here that our squad is not good enough to challenge for promotion. In all instances, however, the benchmark against which they have measured the strength of our squad seems to be the contributors' own perceptions of what a promotion-chasing club should look like. None of the contributors appear to have based their prediction on an actual comparison between our squad and those of clubs, such as Brighton, who might expect to be challenging for promotion.

Compared to other clubs' squads, I think ours does look strong enough. Certainly, if I were to pick a squad consisting of our players and any other club's, in almost every case, the majority would come from our pool of players. To do this is, I know, still highly subjective. Nevertheless, I would say that it does provide a somewhat better method of assessing our chances than seemingly 'plucking the strength of a promotion-chasing squad out of the air'.

When the likes of Brighton are signing the likes of Aaron Hughes (whom I admire greatly from his time here, but would not be a welcome addition now), it gives me some confidence that we are assembling a group of players with the credentials to be in the thick of the promotion battle.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on July 23, 2014, 10:51:33 PM
They allowed Collins John to score??? PUT YOUR MORTGAGE ON THEM TO GO DOWN. No team is that bad as to allow Collins John to score
He came very close against us when he came on and missed another good opportunity. By all accounts Brighton had a strong team out although being a local derby I'm sure it was a lot more intent in the game than against us.

epsomraver

Why are people having a  go at Collins John? at least he wasn't offside!

WhiteJC

Quote from: epsomraver on July 24, 2014, 09:09:22 AM
Why are people having a  go at Collins John? at least he wasn't offside!

I bet he was and the ref missed it  :dft011: