watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Alan Mullery

Started by bog, July 24, 2014, 05:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

There was a posting about Alan Mullery talking on Sky earlier this week. One of my favourite Fulham photographs ever is when he came back to the Cottage as captain of Spurs and is seen shaking hands with Johnny Haynes prior to the kick off at the centre circle. Mutual respect or what? Two of our best ever captains in the same photograph. Brilliant.

092.gif

Holders

Yes, I was a great admirer of Mullery but the picture I hold in my mind tarnishes his image a bit for me. I shan't forget him and Moore laughing and joking with the West Ham players after the whistle went on the cup final. The Fulham fans and the other players weren't laughing or joking.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Sir Alec of good Stock

When Mullers rejoined us on loan towards the end of 71/72 he was the driving force that stopped us being relegated after only one season in the 2nd division.

For the next 5 or so years he was a huge influence and a real driving force in midfield and who can forget that goal against Leicester.

His replacement was Terry Bullivant who had big boots to fill and was never really up to it, although he did bring in £275,000 from Villa.

I think that Mullers always wanted to manage FFC and the so called "dream ticket" at the time was a Mullery and Moore management team, but with Clay in charge at the time that was never going to happen.

Some great memories from a proper number 4 when numbers meant something.

Oh yes, and there was also that magical moment when he nutmegged Pele in the friendly against Santos!

alfie

Quote from: Holders on July 24, 2014, 05:47:00 PM
Yes, I was a great admirer of Mullery but the picture I hold in my mind tarnishes his image a bit for me. I shan't forget him and Moore laughing and joking with the West Ham players after the whistle went on the cup final. The Fulham fans and the other players weren't laughing or joking.

I don't think you should let that bother you, Mullery and Moore like you and me are human, the game had ended nothing could change the result, of course they were as disapointed as you. I am sure after our many recent defeats when you have felt like hitting something someone behind you makes a comment that makes you laugh.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Holders

I got the impression that it was just a pre-retirement old boys' day out for them - they'd won so much between them. For the rest of us it was the high point in our history.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

Weren't they a lot to do with us getting there in the first place?

Presumably, as pro's, they gave their all in the game. I'm sure Alan would have loved to have lifted the Cup for Fulham.

ron

Boxers hug after beating the living daylight out of each other. The final whistle/bell should end the tension in all sports. (admittedly more difficult with an odd few opponents).

bog

Well said Ron and all those in support of Mullers. He was instrumental in bringing Bobby Moore to us and those two were responsible in getting us to Wembley. They should have been given the management duo roles.  Ernie Clay at his ignorant best.   

092.gif

OldBrownShoe

Anyone remember that game when Mullers stepped in as captain when Maestro Haynes was unavailable? It was at C.C against Sheff Wednesday. 
The ball was played back to him and he in turn gave it a wallop back to our unready and inattentive keeper, Tony Macedo.  O-1!
And no it wasn't one of those famous Fulham fight backs. We lost 1-6!

Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

Don Miguel

Quote from: OldBrownShoe on July 25, 2014, 01:38:01 PM
Anyone remember that game when Mullers stepped in as captain when Maestro Haynes was unavailable? It was at C.C against Sheff Wednesday. 
The ball was played back to him and he in turn gave it a wallop back to our unready and inattentive keeper, Tony Macedo.  O-1!
And no it wasn't one of those famous Fulham fight backs. We lost 1-6!

Yes I was there. It was a low hard shot from the edge of the box, would have been a great goal at the other end!

bog

Yes OBS I was there....I can still see Mullers holding his head.

092.gif