more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (25/07/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, July 25, 2014, 07:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Next Up: D.C. United

The Whites take on American opposition for the first time since facing the MLS All-Stars in 2005 when they meet D.C. United on Saturday at EverBank Field, home of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The opposition

Following the introduction of the MLS Cup in 1996, D.C. United were one of the most dominant forces in the American game in the first seasons, winning the competition in its inaugural year, and again in 1997 and 1999, whilst they were runners-up in 1998.

Since the turn of the millennium, though, the trophies have dried up somewhat for the US capital outfit, with their most recent MLS Cup arriving a decade ago. That said, they did win the Supporters' Shield – the trophy given to the side with the best record over the course of the season – in 2006 and 2007.

The current campaign is one of the most exciting in recent years for United fans, with their team currently occupying second spot in the Eastern conference, a point behind Sporting Kansas City but with a game in hand. One man to watch is former Whites forward Eddie Johnson who is now finding some real form following his transfer from Seattle Sounders.

The manager

Something of a legend in D.C. having spent his entire MLS career at United, Ben Olsen made a swift transition from player to coach.

Olsen ran out 221 times for the Black-and-Red – a figure which puts him second in their all-time appearance standings, with the former midfielder scoring 29 goals and making 49 assists – the third highest in their history.

During his time on their books he won nine trophies – a combination of team achievements and personal accolades – while his only time away from the club was during a loan spell at Nottingham Forest in 2000/01, during which he faced Fulham at Craven Cottage. A Louis Saha goal proved the difference that day.

A regular with the US Men's National Team, Olsen won 37 caps and scored six goals, and appeared at the 2006 World Cup.

When appointed Head Coach in November 2010 following a successful interim period, Olsen was the youngest coach in Major League Soccer at the age of just 33.

In his second full season in charge of the club, he led D.C. to the Play-Offs for the first time in five years, before losing to Houston Dynamo in the Conference Finals. However, 2013 was a less prosperous season for the Washington side - but there is a renewed expectation that they can deliver in the current campaign.

Player to watch

Perry Kitchen: Touted as a certainty to make the breakthrough into the USMNT before too long, 22-year-old Perry Kitchen has been a regular in the D.C. team for four years now. A defensive midfielder by trade, he has also provided several goals in 2014 – most recently in the weekend's 3-1 victory over Play-Off rivals Chivas USA. Last season, Kitchen was the star of the D.C. side which came away with the US Open Cup, playing every game en route to winning the trophy. He was subsequently named the club's Most Valuable Player at the end of the year.

Inside the camp

United's domestic campaign has really gathered momentum but they take a break from competitive fixtures when they face the Whites on Saturday. It's a test Head Coach Olsen is looking forward to, telling his club's website: "I'm looking to get guys minutes.

"We still have a bunch of games coming up and we still have a few guys who aren't 90 minutes fit because they've been on the bench, so this is a game to utilise those guys, and get them up to speed because we're going to need them in the next month or two. I'll also use some starters and mix it up.

"It's good; I always enjoyed these friendlies as a player and I think the guys are excited about it. Our minds are on that but more on Toronto the following Wednesday."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/24/next-up-dc-united?

WhiteJC

New Chapter

Thomas Eisfeld joined Fulham on Wednesday and immediately outlined his ambitions of making an impact at Craven Cottage.

The highly-rated midfielder spent two-and-a-half years at Arsenal, and with an impressive goalscoring record at Under-21 level, the player is relishing the chance of stepping up and delivering for the Whites' First Team. 

"This is a new chapter for me," explained Thomas to fulhamfc.com. "I didn't play a lot of senior football at Arsenal, but now is my time. This is the right move for me, and I'm looking forward to developing my game at Fulham.

"Felix Magath is a fantastic manager and there are some really good players in the squad. I just can't wait to pull on the shirt for the first time. What I can promise the fans is that I will always give my best for the Club.

"I want to establish myself, and we have already seen a number of young players do that here. If you're looking at the Club from the outside as a player looking to push on, then that's great to see. I need to make sure I take my opportunity."

Eisfeld joined the Gunners in January 2012, following several years at Borussia Dortmund. On top of his eye for goal, the 21-year-old also has clever movement, technique and good vision – facets of the game he aligns to his time in West Germany and North London.

"I'm very lucky to have spent time at Borussia Dortmund – seven years in fact – and then Arsenal," he added. "Two fantastic clubs in regards to developing young players and playing the game how it should be played.

"It was a good education for me, one of the best in fact. But now I'm at an important stage of my career and now I need to show what I can do. I'm used to life in the UK, and of course, London – I feel very settled. I love English football, I like the style. It's quick and full of energy; I think it suits me well."

Talking at our Motspur Park Training Ground prior to flying to the States with his new teammates, Eisfeld was quick to point to the influence of Magath ahead of signing his contract for the Whites.

"The Manager was a factor, I wanted to work with him," said Thomas. "We've spoken a lot and I'm excited by the challenge that's in place at Fulham. He expects me to deliver, and I want to repay the faith that has been shown in me.

"He has a fantastic record in Germany, and I believe he'll be successful in England, too – I want to be part of that. Our aim is to get back to the top division - for me, Fulham is a Premier League club.

"I actually scored here [Motspur Park] last season, when Arsenal's Under-21s played Fulham's Under-21s. It was a good game, and although Fulham dominated the match, my goal was enough to win it.

"But I was really impressed by the Club's young players then, many of which are now working with the First Team this summer. It's a young team here at Fulham, but these players can make the step up. As a group we need to work as hard as we can, and push the team forward together."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/24/new-chapter?

WhiteJC

Thomas Eisfeld and Adil Chihi are useful additions but Fulham crave a new Danny Murphy

The quest to replace Danny Murphy continues. Two years since his departure, to Blackburn Rovers on a free transfer, Fulham still have a gaping hole in the centre of their midfield.

This is all in spite of our huge summer of transition, in which a whole first team has departed and, quite hastily, a new look squad assembled.

Adil Chihi and Thomas Eisfeld are the latest recruits in this gargantuan revolution, but neither are natural central midfielders.

Chihi is a winger who impressed enough on trial to earn a one-year deal. He's a pacy, tricky winger who, despite an unimpressive history, could hold down a first team place were Ashkan Dejagah to leave.

He's no world-beater but, with no transfer fee attached, the Moroccan is a sensible addition to a squad that seems to be getting ever-thinner.

Eisfeld comes with something more of a reputation. At only 21 years old, the German is seen as a player with huge potential, and someone that Arsenal were a little reluctant to let go.

He plays behind the striker as a goalscoring attacking midfielder, a position which Chris David is trying his best to make his own.

In many ways, David and Eisfeld are similar players – creative, good passers, technically proficient – but David, perhaps, holds the edge.

Still, Eisfeld is a good acquisition who will add depth to our first team yet, even though he can play in a deeper role, that is not his preference.

As such, the hunt for a partner for Scott Parker continues. Parker himself easily has the gusto to lead Fulham to a successful season this year, but he needs someone with more energy and pizazz alongside him; someone who can pick out a pass and attack fluidly.

But not only that, he will need a colleague with some defensive appreciation, given the top heavy side we have. Magath will have to try and incorporate the likes of Ross McCormack, Cauley Woodrow and David in one team.

It makes for a very attacking line-up – all very good for the casual observer but not so much for our defensive record. And so Fulham need a central midfielder who is both creative and sensible, powerful and hard working.

Henri Lansbury would have been nice, though that ship seems to have sailed, while a player like Alejandro Faurlin would fit the bill perfectly.

Still, Magath has plenty of time to bring someone in. Let's hope he chooses wisely.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/24/thomas-eisfield-and-adil-chihi-are-useful-additions-but-fulham-crave-a-new-danny-murphy-4808900/?

WhiteJC

Buatu's Call-Up

Mananga Jonathan Buatu has been called up to represent the Angolan national team in a friendly match against Ethiopia on Sunday 3rd August.

The powerful centre-back had previously represented Belgium from Under-17 to Under-19 level, but the 20-year-old will now turn out for the African nation.

Buatu made 15 appearances for Kit Symons' Under-21 side last season, scoring once.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/24/buatus-call-up?

WhiteJC

Ex-Arsenal midfielder Thomas Eisfeld reveals reasons for leaving club

Fulham new boy Thomas Eisfeld has revealed his reasons for leaving Arsenal to join the recently relegated side, as reported by Fulham's official website.

Eisfeld stated that he is looking at this as a good opportunity to establish himself as a first team player for the first time in his career, believing that he requires that under a 'fantastic' manager like Felix Magath for his development as a footballer to continue.

He said: "This is a new chapter for me. I didn't play a lot of senior football at Arsenal, but now is my time. This is the right move for me, and I'm looking forward to developing my game at Fulham.

"Felix Magath is a fantastic manager and there are some really good players in the squad. I just can't wait to pull on the shirt for the first time. What I can promise the fans is that I will always give my best for the Club."

"I want to establish myself, and we have already seen a number of young players do that here. If you're looking at the Club from the outside as a player looking to push on, then that's great to see. I need to make sure I take my opportunity."

He was keen to point out that the German manager Magath was a big reason behind him dropping down a division and choosing to join Fulham.

Eisfeld added: "The Manager was a factor, I wanted to work with him.

"We've spoken a lot and I'm excited by the challenge that's in place at Fulham. He expects me to deliver, and I want to repay the faith that has been shown in me.

"He has a fantastic record in Germany, and I believe he'll be successful in England, too – I want to be part of that. Our aim is to get back to the top division – for me, Fulham is a Premier League club.

"I actually scored here [Motspur Park] last season, when Arsenal's Under-21s played Fulham's Under-21s. It was a good game, and although Fulham dominated the match, my goal was enough to win it.

"But I was really impressed by the Club's young players then, many of which are now working with the First Team this summer. It's a young team here at Fulham, but these players can make the step up. As a group we need to work as hard as we can, and push the team forward together."

The highly-rated midfielder joined Arsenal in January 2012 after several years with Borussia Dortmund. He has developed a reputation as a goal scoring midfielder at youth level, but also possesses great technique.

Fulham have been active already in the transfer market this summer, smashing the record for a player transferred between two second tier sides with their £11 million capture of Leeds United's Ross McCormack.

DON'T GO ANYWHERE JUST YET! WE'VE GOT ONE MORE STAT FOR YOU

Fulham completed 79% of their passes in the Premier League last season.

http://www.squawka.com/news/ex-arsenal-midfielder-thomas-eisfeld-reveals-reasons-for-leaving-club/147024?

WhiteJC

Leicester to sign Tottenham playmaker Lewis Holtby on loan

LEICESTER CITY are lining up a loan move for Tottenham playmaker Lewis Holtby.

Holtby was loaned out to Fulham last season[GETTY]

The Germany international has failed to break into the first team at Tottenham since joining for £1.5m in 2013.

Spurs sent the 23-year-old out on loan to Fulham for the second-half of last season, but he failed to prevent the Cottagers from getting relegated to the Championship.

And now Premier League new boys Leicester are reportedly keen to secure Holtby's services on a temporary basis.

It is understood that the Foxes have approached the White Hart Lane club regarding the German's availability, with boss Mauricio Pochettino apparently prepared to let him leave.

King Power boss Nigel Pearson has wasted no time at all to prepare the club for their first Premier League campaign in 10 years, bringing in four new faces already.

Marc Albrighton, Ben Hamer and Matthew Upson have all signed on free transfers, while Leonardo Ulloa joined for an initial fee of £8m.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/491450/Leicester-to-sign-Tottenham-playmaker-Lewis-Holtby-on-loan

WhiteJC

Foot In Both Camps

D.C. United fan Don Thoren adopted Fulham as his English team five years ago. We caught up with him ahead of the meeting between the two sides at EverBank Field on Saturday.

How pleased have you been with D.C. United's season so far?

I've been very pleased with our season so far. Last year, we weren't just bad; it was our worst season ever. Thank God we don't have relegation, we might have been sent down two divisions. In the off-season we made a few tweaks in the squad, especially in our defence (we've given up just over one goal a match), the addition of a couple players with a lot of MLS experience, and Eddie Johnson coming on board. We now sit one point off first place in the Conference, with a game in hand.

How has Eddie Johnson been getting on?

Eddie is settling in now. D.C. United play a very different style to what he was used to in Seattle, more focused on tough defence first, and it took him a couple of months to get used to that. He's only scored three times for us this season, but is now doing a lot of hard work off the ball, drawing defenders to him, and helping open up space for our midfielders.  If we can get a couple of our midfielders/forwards back from injury, guys who will add a lot of speed to the attack, I think we will see Eddie put a few more in the net.

Do you think the team have got enough in the tank to keep the current momentum going?

August is a brutal month for us. We play seven matches, four on the road including two cross-country trips, away to Kansas City, the reigning league champions, and away to Houston – which in August is a lot like Manaus, Brazil. We also have our first game in the CONCACAF Champions League, which we qualified for by winning the US Open Cup, an FA Cup style tournament here. We finish the month at home against our biggest rivals, New York. If we steal some points on the road, get our leading scorer, Fabian Espindola, back from injury and continue to play defence like we have, we could be in great position for the Play-Offs.  I think we have enough for a run to the Conference finals, then, who knows?

It's a decade since DC last won the MLS Cup – is there a belief that this could be your year?

We're starting to play very good team football. We're getting goals from unexpected places, beginning to control possession better than we did early in the year and we're on a good run of form. However, I'd still favour Kansas City in the East. Out west, Seattle, where Clint Dempsey plays now, have been the standout club all season and have to be considered the favorites to win it all.

Which other D.C. players should Fulham be wary of?

The man in form right now is Luis Silva, who has five goals in his last five league matches, stepping up nicely in place of the injured Espindola. Perry Kitchen is our defensive midfielder who plays a solid game with few mistakes, and has managed to score twice for us in the last four matches. And our defence starts with our keeper, Bill Hamid, a 23-year-old graduate of our Academy, what we call a "homegrown". Bill's a tremendous physical talent and his knowledge of the game and his position continue to grow. With a couple of senior USMNT call ups already, we think he'll be another one of America's great goalkeeping exports soon.

Having adopted Fulham as your English club, do you manage to get to Craven Cottage much?

My wife and I are lucky enough to have jobs that will take us to Europe about four times a year.  While we don't usually have business in London, we can always extend the trip, but we're held to our work schedules. That means we get to the Cottage a few times a season, but we've also followed the club to Goodison, Old Trafford, Villa Park, even a Europa League match in Odense, Denmark.

How did you come to adopt Fulham as your English team?

My first Fulham match was away at Arsenal, in February 2009. The squad worked so hard to earn a 0-0 draw that day, and the supporters down in the Fulham section were on their feet most of the match. It was great to watch. When I got back home after that I followed the Club the rest of that season, and made sure I could get to a match at the Cottage early the next season. Once you see Fulham at the Cottage, how can you not be hooked? We sat in the Hammersmith End that day against Everton, a 2-1 win, and that's where we sit every time we can get over.                       

Are you looking forward to the Championship season?

I really am. I think we've made some smart moves over the summer, and I'm very excited to see some of the young guys come up from the Academy. The grind of the Championship is far different from the Premier League, but I think we're putting together a squad that can do very well there.  It will be tougher to see the Club live here in the States, but I'll hear a lot more of Gentlemen Jim this year. It's also a good excuse to squeeze in an extra trip, and I'll be at our match at Reading in September.

As a fan of both sides, how do you see Saturday's game going?

For D.C. United, the friendly comes in the middle of the season, and right before a tough stretch of games, but I don't see them holding back. Our manager, Ben Olsen, I think he's got a little Felix Magath in him. He works the guys hard every training session, and expects them to work hard on the pitch every match. Ben played his entire career for D.C. United and was always the hardest working player on the pitch, it's always been part of his character. Injuries forced him to retire at 32 and he went right into management with the club, and he's been in charge for four seasons now. For Fulham, I'm sure Magath is still looking at players, and I hope they open it up and use the match as an opportunity to let the players show what they can do. I hope we see a lot of the players take to the pitch, and not just because it will be about 33 degrees with high humidity at game time.

How much excitement is there amongst our American fanbase that Fulham are coming over for a game?

There is definitely a great deal of excitement. It's been a long time since Fulham were last in the States, in 2005. I know a lot of fans traveling to the match; from here in D.C., the South-East, and even a couple of fans who are driving down from Pittsburgh, a 12 hour trip.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/july/24/foot-in-both-camps?

WhiteJC

Teenager Hyndman in Fulham squad for Jax match

[INTERNATIONAL FRIENDLIES] Emerson Hyndman, the 18-year-old grandson of former FC Dallas coach Schellas Hyndman, is in the Fulham squad for its friendly against D.C. United Saturday to help christen the new-look EverBank Field, home of the Jacksonville Jaguars, Fulham's sister club.

Hyndman has spent the preseason with the Fulham first team, traveling to Scotland for training.

The trip is Fulham's first visit to Florida since Jaguars owner Shahid Khan acquired the club in July 2013. The game is one of 11 international friendlies that will take place Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Six involve MLS clubs.

-- Goals by Alejandro Dominguez, Dimitris Diamantakos and Andreas Bouchalakis gave Olympiakos a 3-0 win over AC Milan on Thursday in the opening game of the Guinness International Champions Cup played in Toronto. The game was originally scheduled to be held at Citi Field, home of the New York Mets.

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/59574/teenager-hyndman-in-fulham-squad-for-jax-match.html?

Tom_FFC

Fulham want €8 million for Besiktas target Bryan Ruiz according to Sporx.

The Black Eagles have been in talks with Fulham according to club president Fikret Orman.

"There isn't long left for our match against Feyenoord," Orman said.

"If a player joins tomorrow it's unlikely he will play anyway but we are definitely going to sign another player.

"We are in talks with Marin, we could transfer Marin or a name we haven't been linked with yet."

However, Ruiz is expected to remain at Fulham next season according to Felix Magath.

"They have three weeks holiday. Dejagah and Mitroglou are due back on Sunday and Ruiz is coming back next week," Magath said.

"I am sure they will still be with us in September."

Greek champions Olympiakos have also been closely linked with the 28-year-old.

The Costa Rican international still has a year left on his contract with Fulham but the club have been trying to reduce their wage bill following relegation to the Championship and will listen to offers for Ruiz.

http://www.turkish-football.com/news_read.php?id=6207