watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The goalkeeping situation

Started by Pie and mash, August 02, 2014, 04:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pie and mash

So, with a week to go, we have a goalkeeper who hasn't been playing in friendlies and hasn't played a competitive game for 5 months & a goalkeeper whose highest level competitive game was for Accrington Stanley, (we also have a few kids)

While we've recently sold our best goalkeeper to a rival.

Bit worrying.

Hopefully we bring someone in by next week.  :008:

Jamie88

Not worried at all about the goalkeeper situation. Bettinelli and Joronen are both fantastic young goalkeepers and if we must use them so be it.

It's also worth mentioning that we've used them for the whole of pre-season and they've earned 5 clean sheets. I know the opposition haven't been out of this world but it's still impressive nonetheless.

Max Headroom

Bring on the youngsters. If Magath has let stockdale go it's because he thinks the youngsters are better

Nero

Quote from: Max Headroom on August 02, 2014, 05:03:09 PM
Bring on the youngsters. If Magath has let stockdale go it's because he thinks the youngsters are better

or as equally capable, wouldn't mind seeing if we could nick Marshall from Cardiff though, surprised a PL team hasn't grabbed him already 

terryr

Given our lack of clean sheets last year our best keeper just wasn't good enough, so I welcome change.
It will be fine.
Worry, worry, worry.
What would some of us ( me included here) do if we couldn't worry?
To be honest, if at the end of last season I thought that the keeper situation was my key concern at this point............ I'd have beeen over the moon.
We've made NINE signings this window......NINE.
One of them happens to be the Championship's top goal scorer.
Mitro may stay and may yet deliver something ( maybe).
The new additions all look solid.
The youngsters are gaining in form and confidence and will contribute this season.
We've had 5 clean sheets in our friendlies.
We have an owner who isn't afraid to reach into his pocket.
I don't feel worried anymore.
I feel happy.
Cheer up!
078.gif
T

MrProphet

Put faith in Joronen for me. The biggest difference in our clean sheets this year will be the fact our back four has been gutted

JBH

Quote from: Max Headroom on August 02, 2014, 05:03:09 PM
:plus one:
I don't get the stockdale  love in he has gone backwards in the last 3 years so no loss whatsoever 065.gif

FPT

They've got to start somewhere...

I don't think we can find anyone better within a reasonable price that will drop down to the Championship. He's looked comfortable in pre-season; okay, not against as good opposition, but he looks very comfortable at the senior level. Bare in mind, even though these teams may not be "as good as us," we're playing with teenagers and kids in their early 20s and still brushing past them (keeping clean sheets in the progress).

We've not touched (if so, barely) players like Ruiz, Mitroglou, Amorebieta, Stekelenburg and McCormack... If that's not a promising sign, then I don't know what is. The kids will provide energy, hunger and thanks to how we've set up our academy over the god knows how many years, they also provide quality.

We've gone from a technically quite poor, uninterested, awfully organised and old squad, to completely the opposite in barely 3 months! Be excited that the philosophy at the club has finally changed, be excited that once the kids out-grow us, we will be receiving Southampton like income, be excited that this squad has barely cost a penny and will provide us with energetic and attractive football, and I've not even started to talk about a run at promotion.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

From what I've seen of them, particularly Joronen. They both are
Excellent shot-stoppers
Command their area from set pieces.
Fearless
Tall (corners etc)
Vocal
and aware.

As someone said, it will be a better defence than the last couple of years, with a lot more help
defending corners etc.

Most importantly the quality of the opposition doesn't really matter, if the goalkeeper has all of the above skills.
Admittedly, the better the opposition the more chances they will create but the best/better players
Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Bale, James, Sturridge etc etc can all do things with the ball and the placements
of their shots that not even the top goalkeepers in the world are able to stop.
If that makes sense.

1/. Joronen
2/. Bettinelli

+ those 2 and lots of our other youngsters should help increase our gates, as every girl
within 50 miles of CC (and maybe beyond) will be queuing up to watch these 'kids'

I'm getting a Chelsea Kings Road flashback, except of course in this day and age that wouldn't be allowed, apart
from Wilshere smoking.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Nightwind15

They sold Stockdale for the money....not because we have better.  Stockdale has always been good enough but was never given a fair run.
I played in the first match I ever saw!

MrProphet

Quote from: Nightwind15 on August 02, 2014, 08:25:03 PM
They sold Stockdale for the money....not because we have better.  Stockdale has always been good enough but was never given a fair run.

Not sure we require the money and I can't imagine he's on that much of a wage. Magath knows he is out the door if we aren't there or there about after 15-20 games some clearly thinks a we have someone better or b someone is lined up to come in

Nightwind15

The proof is in the play.  I have never seen a coach or manager that really knew his team until they had several matches under their belts.  Stockdale was a quality player IMO. 
I played in the first match I ever saw!

MrProphet

Quote from: Nightwind15 on August 02, 2014, 08:45:16 PM
The proof is in the play.  I have never seen a coach or manager that really knew his team until they had several matches under their belts.  Stockdale was a quality player IMO. 

I agree but he knows alot about stockdale. I for one would put one of the youngsters in. If you don't try you ll never know

Nero

We shall see if Stockdale was quality or not as he will be Brighton No1. The transfer may be the making of him and given him the kick up the arse he needs to get going. But I think he stull be beaten by long shots and look like he going down in stages

cookieg

Brighton won't be a rival. Their new goalkeeper will see to that!!

Andy S

The youth have it all to prove. Football is a young mans game. Give them all your full support as they will make mistakes but once they get that feeling that we are behind them they will go from strength to strength

Ordar

I don't think we actually need a new keeper, Joronen and Bettinelli have both looked solid, and I think they should be given the chance to fight it out for the number 1 shirt. The difference in quality between the goalkeepers in the championship is going to be pretty minimal.

Give the guys a chance I say

Snibbo

Quote from: Pie and mash on August 02, 2014, 04:45:19 PM
So, with a week to go, we have a goalkeeper ... whose highest level competitive game was for Accrington Stanley

I think he might regard his Finnish international debut last year as a bit higher than that ;-)

Blanco

There is no need to be worried. Magath is a professional experienced manager and he knows whats best for the team. Whether he's got a new keeper coming in soon or if Stek is playing, it'll be fine. Of course it would be a strange decision to have Jeronen as our main keeper but I don't think that is going to happen. Lets just sit back and wait for that lineup against Ipswich.

HatterDon

I think we've made our quota of 26 Henny Penny threads for the week.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel