more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (05/08/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 04, 2014, 08:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham Game a Big Step Up for McGoldrick

Boss Mick McCarthy says he'll assess how striker David McGoldrick came through Town's final pre-season friendly at Leyton Orient before deciding on his level of involvement in the Blues' opening fixture of the Championship season at home to Fulham next Saturday (Sky Sports 1/HD1, KO 5.15pm). The 26-year-old seems unlikely to start against the Cottagers having made only two sub appearances in friendlies since returning from seven months out with knee problems.

McCarthy replaced McGoldrick, who had come on at half-time at Brisbane Road having played the final 20 minutes at Southend, two minutes from the end as a precaution.

"I think he was disappointed to be coming off, but he'd done enough," the Town manager said. "I didn't want him to get a kick in the last few minutes of the game."

While impressed with McGoldrick's contribution against the O's and Shrimpers, McCarthy warns that league games are a significant step up: "They were pre-season friendlies. As much as that was competitive, it's not Fulham at home, it's not Reading away.

"We'll see how he feels tomorrow and beyond. He certainly makes a difference when he's playing for us."

The Town manager is expecting a tough first month with relegated former Premier League sides Fulham and Norwich the first visitors to Portman Road.

"We've got two of them that have come down in the first month," he added. "I went to watch Norwich against Nice and I thought they were excellent.

"Birmingham and Reading are going to be scrapping around with us but I think the other two will be competing for promotion."

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/25503/?

WhiteJC

Buatu's International Debut

Mananga Jonathan Buatu made his international debut for Angola as they defeated Ethiopia 1-0 in a friendly on Sunday.

The Fulham youngster, who had previously represented Belgium from Under-17 to Under-19 level, featured as Angola secured victory thanks to a 16th-minute strike from Freddy.

The match was seen as good preparation for Angola ahead of their upcoming African Nations Cup qualifiers which start in September. Angola are in Group C with Burkina Faso, Gabon and Lesotho.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/04/buatu-international-debut?

WhiteJC

Aesch Action

A young Fulham side finished in fifth place at an eight-team Under-19 tournament in Aesch, Switzerland, at the weekend.

Led by Kevin Keen, the Fulham side, who were all under the age of 17, were drawn in Group B alongside Borussia Dortmund, FC Servette and Red Bull Salzburg.

Each match was an hour long with two halves of 30 minutes. The Whites lost their first game 2-0 to Salzburg, before going down to a 2-1 defeat to Dortmund. Tayo Edun scored Fulham's goal.

Aaron Redford and Stephen Humphreys were then on target in their final group game as the Whites defeated Servette 2-0.

In the Fifth/Sixth-Place Play-Off on Sunday, the Whites thumped hosts FC Aesch 5-0. Ravin Shamsi bagged a brace, with Josh Walker, Redford and Humphrys also finding the net.

Fulham took home the Fair Play Trophy, while the tournament was won by Salzburg.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/04/aesch?

WhiteJC

Former Fulham man can kick on like QPR, Spurs and Newcastle favourite, Holloway insists

Millwall manager Ian Holloway has likened new signing Matthew Briggs to Newcastle, Tottenham and QPR favourite Les Ferdinand.

The Lions boss worked with the striker when he was a player at QPR and Holloway recounted the difference in Ferdinand's demeanour after he was called up to the England squad.

And Holloway believes that confidence could inspire a similar change in the full back.

"I sat him down and showed him what I think he needs to do. I watched three games because of my new routine and starting levels, I got young Jay to clip all the bits. I could sit and watch them within 10 minutes.

"I watched three entire games. He chose a good game where he thought he played poorly and wasn't quite sure.

"It was the first time that's ever happened. He believes that potential to me is just a curse.

"People talk about you. You're either as good as they think they should be or not as they should be."

"I saw some bloke put potential out of the water by believing in himself which was Les Ferdinand.

"He went off with England one day and he came back and Ray Wilkins said if you don't look or feel the part who is going to believe – so start doing it. He changed everything about himself.

"This kid [Briggs] could do whatever."

Holloway does have a decision to make with full back Scott Malone impressing last season and he has to find the balance to keep them both happy.

"I just need to sit back and encourage the both of them," he added. "If they don't show me respect they can get out of my office and get out of the club.

"I'm excited about the boy wanting to play and wanting to be taught. If he gets worried and can't do it here, we're going to crucify him.

"I need him to step to the plate and take responsibility for everything he says.

"That's the same with Magaye [Gueye] and hopefully we'll get that right.

"If I can get the structure right and we all pull together; it's quite exciting. I've had it off the field.

"I've had some people find out I wanted things done on the house. They rang the club. I'm in the family so it's fantastic."

The former Fulham man appeared set to join Blackpool before a final twist saw him commit his future to the Lions.

"It was always going to turn around," Holloway said. "I switch off and tell [chief executive] Andy [Ambler] good luck with that. I felt the kid worked so hard for me."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/millwall/former_fulham_man_can_kick_on_like_qpr_spurs_and_newcastle_favourite_holloway_insists_1_3711463

WhiteJC

Woodrow Raring To Go

With a maiden pre-season campaign with the First Team now under his belt, Cauley Woodrow cannot wait for the Sky Bet Championship to commence.

After scoring in Fulham's first friendly – a 3-0 triumph at East Fife – the 19-year-old also had the last word when his 87th-minute strike earned his side a narrow victory over Caykur Rizespor on Saturday.

The fixture against the Turkish side was one of few chances, with Woodrow's effort proving the difference following excellent attacking play by George Williams.

"That was the first chance I'd had all game," Woodrow said of his composed late finish. "I just tried to keep my head over the ball and stick it in the net.

"It was good play by George to set it up – I said thanks to him for that as he did really well, it was a great pass from him. It was nice to get a goal near the end of the match so, on a personal note, that was good for me."

After Wednesday's scheduled fixture against Simurq had been called off due to a waterlogged pitch, the weather at the Jenbach Stadium couldn't have been more different three days later, with the players enduring humid conditions throughout the 90 minutes.

Woodrow stated: "We were quite disappointed when the first game was called off because obviously the season is fast approaching and the more match fitness we get the better, but it was nice and hot for Saturday's game which got our breathing going, so it was a good run out.

"It was a tough game – they liked to press us when we got the ball and got a bit dirty at times but it was a good workout for all the boys and it was nice to get another win.

"Before the game the Manager said he wanted to get another win and a clean sheet, and we did that so hopefully he's pleased – and it was also nice for the boys to get another run out."

The Rizespor victory brought the curtain down on the team's time in Austria, and Woodrow believes the week's preparations will serve the squad well when the new campaign gets under way at Portman Road on Saturday.

"It was a successful week," he explained. "We've had double sessions, we've been training hard and we're just raring to go now really.

"Our main focus is onto Saturday now against Ipswich so we'll be training hard all week and preparing for the game at the weekend."

The 2014/15 campaign will be Woodrow's first full season with the senior squad – as it will be for several others – and the striker is keen to reward Manager Felix Magath for the trust he has shown in the youth players so far.

"It's massive for us young lads," he admitted. "The Manager showed faith in a lot of us last season and I think he will this term as well if we continue to work hard and do well, so fingers crossed we get some game time."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/04/woodrow-raring-to-go?

WhiteJC

Championship Countdown: Fulham one of three best league winner punts
A talent-laden squad, goal-fiend frontman and top tactician at the helm should ensure a joyous campaign for the Cottagers.

The 2014/15 Championship has all the ingredients to be the most exhilarating yet as the scramble to reach the Premier League intensifies by the year.

Big clubs have invested big money in the hope that this term will be their last in the second tier and with the green flag being waved this week, bwinbetting.com are laying their cards on the table having marked them with our three best league-winner punts for the campaign ahead.

Fulham – 9/1 to win the Championship
The Cottagers have made something of a statement in forking out £11m for last season's second-rung leading scorer Ross McCormack and, with a Bundesliga-winning boss at the helm in Felix Magath they must be the team to beat before a ball is kicked.

He joins an attack that contains talents of Bryan Ruiz's calibre, while Scott Parker in midfield adds concrete to a team oozing goalscoring prowess.
Several potential-loaded academy players will also be afforded the opportunity to showcase their stuff too.

Wigan – 10/1 to win the Championship
Had it not been for an iffy pre-season managerial appointment and an ill-advised Europa League tilt, the Latics would've almost certainly be preparing to return to the top-flight this summer based on their end of season form.

A late surge under the guidance of Uwe Rosler saw them edged out of the play-off semi-final to eventual victors QPR, but they're well-equipped with the tools and ethos to challenge once more.

They've lost just twice at home in the whole of 2014 and a full pre-season with Rosler at the helm it's difficult to imagine them failing to contend.

Nottingham Forest – 16/1 to win the Championship
Given the unpredictable nature of the division, it's always worth picking a selection located in the left-field.

They threatened the upper echelons sporadically last season and have bolstered their ranks with some solid second-tier players such as David Vaughan, Lee Peltier and Matty Fryatt.

There's plenty to be said about Stuart Pearce's managerial abilities too, or so his exploits with England at the European Under-21 Championships in 2009 suggest.

His junior Three Lions side only lost the final 4-0 against a German contingent that contained approximately half of the team that would lift the World Cup five years later, defending himself against their blades, bullets and weapons of mass destruction with the likes of Scott Loach, Martin Cranie and Nedum Onuoha.

Fulham to win the Championship @ 9/1

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/championship/championship-countdown-fulham-winner,59347.html?#sthash.9h4s30mT.dpuf

WhiteJC

Forget pre-season – Fulham must hit the ground running in the Championship

Pre-season means nothing; we all know that. Yet, with each one that passes by, every fan has read a little bit into it, dissecting results and analysing players.

And, from whichever angle you approach Fulham's off-season, which just ended with a 1-0 win over Turkish side Rizespor, you end with the same conclusion of strangely-comforting mediocrity.

Naturally, pre-season is never going to get your heart racing, but there appeared to be so many flaws in our setup that winning five out of six games seemed unimportant and anticlimactic.

We played reasonably well at times throughout all six games but, and this was the most frustrating thing of all, Felix Magath never settled on a starting 11.

I'm well aware that pre-season is the very time to experiment and fiddle with your team but, by the time the last game comes around, you'd expect the eleven to be sorted and, most pertinently, to be playing.

Yet our star signing, Ross McCormack, didn't feature, while the defence and midfield received yet another makeover. It's all well and good, bedding the youngsters and exploring the depths of our squad, but now it could be anyone's guess as to who starts against Ipswich Town in under a week's time.

Hopefully, Magath at least has something in mind, but the merry-go-round has caused concern.

There are still positives to take from our tour of Scotland, trip to America and training camp in Austria. For the first time in a long while, our defence looks tighter.

Konstantinos Stafylidis and Tim Hoogland are perhaps the only two players who are certain to start on Saturday after a string of impressive performances at full back, in which both have shown their defensive resilience alongside a willingness to attack the flanks.

Stafylidis in particular has been superb, bagging two goals already. Cameron Burgess and Shaun Hutchinson have be strong at centre back, helping tighten a back four that, last season, was as porous as they come.

A smattering of youngsters have left their mark, too, not least Moussa Dembele, Chris David and goalkeeper Jesse Joronen who, at this rate, may well start at Portman Road given the departure of David Stockdale.

But if our performances have highlighted an area for improvement, it is still central midfield. Magath's penchant for a central 4-4-2 diamond means Scott Parker needs a partner more than ever.

Ryan Tunnicliffe can do a job, but you get the feeling that he isn't in Magath's good books.

Time is running out, though, and with a mixed pre-season behind us, we need to hit the ground running.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/08/04/forget-pre-season-fulham-must-hit-the-ground-running-in-the-championship-4820589/?

WhiteJC

Cardiff Make First Move for Fulham Target Lamine Sane

Cardiff City have fired the first shot in the race to sign Bordeaux defender Lamine Sane, who is also wanted by fellow Championship outfit Fulham.

The 27-year-old is being chased by both Cardiff and Fulham, while Bordeaux are still hoping to keep hold of the tough-tackling defender, who can also operate in midfield.

According to Sky Italia, Cardiff have acted first, lodging an offer to sign the Senegal international.

The ball is now in Fulham's court to respond, while it remains to be seen how Sane will view the prospect of dropping down to England's second tier with either club.

The 27-year-old was a regular fixture for Bordeaux last term, making 36 appearances for the club in Ligue 1.

Sane, who has been at Bordeaux since 2009, has made a total of 190 appearances for the side in all competitions, chipping in with ten goals.

Bordeaux finished seventh in Ligue 1 last season.

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2014/08/04/cardiff-make-first-move-for-fulham-target-lamine-sane/153412/#bpR0ZPjYtg94XG2s.99