watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

RIP - Short Corners

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, August 07, 2014, 04:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Their funeral could be worth several goals this year and give us an extra player instead of wasting two at the corner flag.

I'm sure we will get a lot of them this year, and my personal opinion is that David should take them from both sides, mixing it up, inswinger, outswinger etc.
Defences get more comfortable if they are continuously defending 'ins or outs'
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

fulhamben

CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

clanky

I agree and think they should always be aiming for the six yard box......

However against my, and most people's view, if you read ' the numbers game everything you thought about football is wrong ' statistically it is better to keep possession via a short corner.

Can't be right in my humble view. Has anyone else read it and feels the same ??

Can't wait for Saturday, I sense we're going to be better organised, fitter ,keen and goal hungry

COYW

Jamie88

Quote from: clanky on August 07, 2014, 05:54:30 PM
I agree and think they should always be aiming for the six yard box......

However against my, and most people's view, if you read ' the numbers game everything you thought about football is wrong ' statistically it is better to keep possession via a short corner.

Can't be right in my humble view. Has anyone else read it and feels the same ??

Can't wait for Saturday, I sense we're going to be better organised, fitter ,keen and goal hungry

COYW

It may be right that statistically its better to keep possession with short corners, but I'd be interested to see statistically how many goals resulted from short corners compared to a normal corner!

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: fulhamben on August 07, 2014, 04:53:23 PM
I'd rather Ruiz take them

I'm assuming he won't be playing on Saturday or possibly not at all.
Felix loves work horses, energy, commitment, pride, passion and creativity.
Ruiz only has one of those attributes.
Having said that he may be, just may be the player that can provide the service
for Ross, Mitro, Woody, Roddy or whoever plays.

Roger in the Dark

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

It may be right that statistically its better to keep possession with short corners, but I'd be interested to see statistically how many goals resulted from short corners compared to a normal corner!
[/quote]

It is if you're winning 1-0 with 2 minutes to go  :0)

I've no idea but even short corners 95% of the time end up with the ball being 'slung over'
unless it's a planned thing to attack from a slightly different angle.

The other 5% end up getting passed backwards and end up in the possession of the
attacking teams own goalkeeper.

mccscratch

I have always felt that corners should be scored on more in football...there is no reason with our height coming forward and guys like Ross also being good headers of the ball that we can't score quite a few... if we drive or whip the ball right between the 6 and the spot...goals will come from.

I hope Ruiz is playing... he can be that guy that can provide the one moment of magic.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

BedsFFC

The point of short corners as well as short passing is that, in theory, you are not moving the ball but moving the opposition.

A short corner, if used well can pull a central defender to a place he doesnt want to be.  A decent CD should not get beaten by a corner chucked in the box. It happens, but it shouldn't.

I have no problems with short corners. It is essentially a free kick in a pretty crap place.

love4ffc

I like to see things mixed up so as to keep the defense guessing.  Short only 10% of the time and only when you see the quick attack opportunity.  Otherwise inswinger, outswinger etc 90% of the time.  

IMHO
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

YankeeJim

If your up in the waning moments, OK, but normally, no shots results from a short corner and they are just boring.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: BedsFFC on August 07, 2014, 06:13:45 PM
The point of short corners as well as short passing is that, in theory, you are not moving the ball but moving the opposition.

A short corner, if used well can pull a central defender to a place he doesnt want to be.  A decent CD should not get beaten by a corner chucked in the box. It happens, but it shouldn't.

I have no problems with short corners. It is essentially a free kick in a pretty crap place.

I can see that point of view.
However that's where coaching comes in, a CD should be told not too do anything they wouldn't be doing on a 'long corner'  if their 'target' moves and he was going to move with him then do so etc

I agee with mcscratch, apart from the goalkeeper, statistically, and assuming all corners are superbly taken, teams should score from 50% of them unless you're playing Giraffe United.
Of course it doen't work like that but even 10 goals from a whole season is poor return.
Mixing it up is crucial, occasional near posts as long as everyone is on the same wavelength and there is someone at the near post.

Perhaps someone could explain to me why at nearly every corner, irrespective of where it's placed, the taker raises his arm.
I can only remember doing that once when I was playing in the Heathrow league and said "Oh look, there's the new Concorde taking off"  perhaps it's the rare sighting of an Andorran Airlines plane over CC

Raising an arm is hardly like the complexity of rugby with it's  10-374-9 calls at scrums or lineouts
"Oops, sorry about that, I thought you shouted 10-373-9"

Bring back Melville, Symons and Coleman when we scored a bucket load from corners.

love4ffc

we were always taught to be moving in the box and not standing still while waiting for the corner kick.  Once the arm was raised it was to indicate to get ready for whatever attack formation the team had practiced for corner kicks.  I've been with some coaches who have actually taken it to the next level where the arm raised might even make a small jester to indicate what kind of corner was going to be taken. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

BedsFFC

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on August 07, 2014, 06:55:14 PM
Quote from: BedsFFC on August 07, 2014, 06:13:45 PM

I can see that point of view.
However that's where coaching comes in, a CD should be told not too do anything they wouldn't be doing on a 'long corner'  if their 'target' moves and he was going to move with him then do so etc

I agee with mcscratch, apart from the goalkeeper, statistically, and assuming all corners are superbly taken, teams should score from 50% of them unless you're playing Giraffe United.
Of course it doen't work like that but even 10 goals from a whole season is poor return.
Mixing it up is crucial, occasional near posts as long as everyone is on the same wavelength and there is someone at the near post.

Perhaps someone could explain to me why at nearly every corner, irrespective of where it's placed, the taker raises his arm.
I can only remember doing that once when I was playing in the Heathrow league and said "Oh look, there's the new Concorde taking off"  perhaps it's the rare sighting of an Andorran Airlines plane over CC

Raising an arm is hardly like the complexity of rugby with it's  10-374-9 calls at scrums or lineouts
"Oops, sorry about that, I thought you shouted 10-373-9"

Bring back Melville, Symons and Coleman when we scored a bucket load from corners.

It's not actually my point of view. About Guardiola. They decided the way opponents will play. They moved the ball with purpose to move the opposition and as such create and open spaces to exploit. "Move the opponent, not the ball.  Invite the opponent to press.  You have the ball on one side, to finish on the other."

Personally, I love this. It makes perfect sense. Problem is, at FFC we don't always have the players to pull it off but I would prefer that we tried to....and yes, mix it up.

You know, on a similar theme. Free kicks really wind me up. Free kick given about 35 yds out. Chances of scoring? About 1 in 75, yet, ref moves into overacting mode, showing the whistle, moving the defenders, spraying the shaving foam etc. Whatever happened to a quick free kick? I guarantee, you'd score more from that and you wouldn't waste the 3 mins of dramatic effect

bog

The older ones amongst us will recall the famous 'Burnley short corner' from back in the late 50's early '60's. Brian Pilkington would take them. I don't get out much...

092.gif

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

You know, on a similar theme. Free kicks really wind me up. Free kick given about 35 yds out. Chances of scoring? About 1 in 75, yet, ref moves into overacting mode, showing the whistle, moving the defenders, spraying the shaving foam etc. Whatever happened to a quick free kick? I guarantee, you'd score more from that and you wouldn't waste the 3 mins of dramatic effect
[/quote]

You're right, somethimes you get 3/4 players standing around discussing options and who's going to take it, as you say, wasting precious minutes which could bite you at the end (literally)

Like penalties, these sort of things should be discussed in training and have plans or even the "much underused" creative and unusual free kick ???  or at least codes be in the captains head.
" OK John, we're 35 yards out on the left central"
A quick 297 and a raised arm with the thumb and pinky bent back, nails showing towards the kicker,  a tap on the left elbow and a scratch of the right nostirl.....Oh wait that's 296
"anyway aim it Martin Munchkin along the ground"...........

OldBrownShoe

Well remembered Bog!  087.gif
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: bog on August 07, 2014, 07:47:09 PM
The older ones amongst us will recall the famous 'Burnley short corner' from back in the late 50's early '60's. Brian Pilkington would take them. I don't get out much...

092.gif

What about the Wolves one.
I think it was Carr who flicked it up and Ernie Hunt who volleyed it home.
Wouldn't be allowed now.

I also remember a left winger for Brentford, I can't remember his name, but it was during the Billy McAdam, Mel Scott, Gerry Cakebread era, I guess mid-late 60's.
That funny little bald ref Roger ??? who used to charge around like a mad thing was a regular in the league.
Anyway this winger used to clown around a lot and move the flag a bit closed to the goal when taking a corner.  Used to get the 'linesman' in a tis was.

ron

Quote from: love4ffc on August 07, 2014, 07:07:30 PM
we were always taught to be moving in the box and not standing still while waiting for the corner kick.  Once the arm was raised it was to indicate to get ready for whatever attack formation the team had practiced for corner kicks.  I've been with some coaches who have actually taken it to the next level where the arm raised might even make a small jester to indicate what kind of corner was going to be taken. 

A small jester to decide? That's a heavy burden for the club mascot to bear ! 

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

That would be stupid building a corner shop at the junction of the Hammy End and Riverside.
Unlikely you'd get planning permission and even if you did you'd get limited trade as the only
time anyone would be there, you'd have to move it for the match.
On the other hand if you built it up the other end you might get thrown lots of things to sell,
especially next week.

the nutflush

Someone who could get it past the first defender would be an improvement.  Have we got anyone that can do that?