News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

How many games will it take Mgath to get it right?

Started by Admin, August 10, 2014, 01:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

And before people start turning this post into a Magath witch-hunt, sensible answers on a postcard please.

It was clear as a bell yesterday that we have some great talent in that side, some talent that can tear some of those Championship sides apart this season, but obviously the balance has to be right.

At this moment in time, our biggest issue is that we do lack experience. I felt that we got bullied into submission yesterday after playing some good stuff, but Ipswich went and got physical when they wanted a foothold in the game. To me, it was clearly men against boys.

In my eyes, the team hangs heavily on a tipping scale right now. To little, to less, and we could be heading completely in the wrong direction, but a little more experience and the tweaking of certain players, and we could have a team that will be very dangerous in that division.

I realise that we're not a relegated QPR or West Ham this season, and don't have the resources to rely on Premiership quality to shoot us straight back up, so patients with Magath and the team will be key. I'd much prefer a slow start, but strong finish, unlike QPR who dwindled towards the end and were so, so luck to have got promoted.

I'll admit that I was watching the game yesterday through rose tinted Premiership glasses, and got the hump when we lost. I though it was our God given right to go to Ipswich and turn them over, but suddenly realised that this is a team who have never played together, nor managed by Felix in a competitive game. In reflection, a 2-1 defeat wasn't that bad.

Anyway, the whole point of this thread is to get peoples thoughts on how long it will take this team to settle - 3, 4, 5 or even 6 games possibly?            

MJG

I want give him the eleven games up to an international break.  But I expect the team to settle down after five or six games.

Lighthouse

Before the game started I was  remembering how awful and pathetic and boring Fulham have been on the most part for many seasons. I saw eight new players and a team of mostly ex youth players. Before the game, I doubted our keeper and our defence. I predicted a defeat as I normally do and thought we would struggle to finish close to the top half of the table.

What I saw was a very talented side in need of a few players. We need to wait until August is over and hope we have sorted out the centre half to play alongside the Bulgarian. A keeper and a defensive midfielder. If Rodders leaves we need a replacement forward. Even if Mitroglu stays he will not make any impact.

By then we would have sorted out the movement to the forwards etc. So in answer to the question. Felix has about ten matches to make the shape and the team work.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Me-ate-Live, innit??

I do not think we need to put a time limit on it. I think it will take   probably 10/14 game for the team to get an understanding and the players who came late ( and  those that will come) to get fully fit.

It is such a shame that people cannot enjoy what is unfolding here ..................... 

jarv

I did not see the game, listened to GJ and apart from mentioning the neat football played, he sounded underwhelmed and reflected the comments you have made (men against boys). Based on comments on here, it sounds like Magath should be beating down his boss's door for some money to get the needed experience before the window shuts. Let's face it, there are wheel barrow loads of decent players available at the level needed. I wish we could have kept Heitinga and Sidwell, would even take Senderos at this point!! :Get Coat gif:

Twig

Sorry but my views have not changed.  I doubt we will achieve a settled team this side of Christmas that is in any way capable of "tearing some of those Championship sides apart" and it may well not be this season at all.  I think we will need to have considerable patience and I also think this period will be the real test of our new owner's commitment as he will need to spend money on experienced reinforcements.

Lighthouse

Quote from: jarv on August 10, 2014, 02:03:00 PM
I did not see the game, listened to GJ and apart from mentioning the neat football played, he sounded underwhelmed and reflected the comments you have made (men against boys). Based on comments on here, it sounds like Magath should be beating down his boss's door for some money to get the needed experience before the window shuts. Let's face it, there are wheel barrow loads of decent players available at the level needed. I wish we could have kept Heitinga and Sidwell, would even take Senderos at this point!! :Get Coat gif:

if you have time try the whole game is on the Offal. There are plenty of good things and you may realise that there isn't that much that needs to be done. I think we have a hang over from last season. There seems to be more to be excited about than miserable. As somebody who has been miserable watching Fulham for so long I am very pleased with what is happening.

K33NY

I would believe 5-6 to settle in, if performances are to bad after 10 then thats it I think.

SouthfieldWhite

Tbh I think it will take all season, magath  dosnt fill me with confidence and I think we will be going one step forward, two steps back with him.

We will do something positive and then change it or play people out of positions .

He seems like a very stubborn bloke with little man management skills who will up set and knock the confidence of a lot of players.

I don't believe our youngsters are too young, the old saying of , if you're good enough, your old enough is true.

We need to keep faith with our youngsters, the amount of stick Dembele has come infor after one game is shocking.

They will have their good games, but also their bad games, you have to expect that with younger players .

Reznor

I think it will take over half the season to gel into a dangerous team that others will not want to face. I would take a mid table finish this season with a proper push for promotion next season. If we somehow managed to get up this season we would probably come straight back down again. As they say Rome wasn't built in a day and as with building a house, the foundations have to be solid.

Barrie

As long as I see signs of steady improvement, I will be content.  As Kcat said, it's going to be interesting, hopefully even exciting to watch the team develop.  But much patience will be needed, it's clear it's not going to change overnight.

Riverside

I think we will still have some new signings within August . Sadly as everyone else there will be trade on the last day of the window .

So the final 11 / 18 will not be sorted until 1 Aug .

Therefore I think end of Oct is the latest and likeliest for real judgements .

Hopefully we will pick up enough points before then not to be out of contention .

Riversider

As I've said before Charlton at home live on Sky, will deceide the future of Felix Magath, 14th game of the season live on the box, no hiding place.
It's basically a third of the season game, so more than enough time to get it right and no time for excuses, if Magath is still manager after this game then Fulham are doing well , if not he will be gone.

jags24

I would like to see Dan Burn at LCB next to the Bulgarian, and I would like to see Woodrow starting and Dembele eased into the lineup as a sub.  I think that we need to purchase a right winger to replace Dejagah (Chihi is sort of a wild-card), and move to a flat MF in a 4-4-2.  Very traditional, but we have the talent to make it work.

If we do those things, we'll settle in a lot faster.  An important part is finding the right combination of players on the pitch.

RidgeRider

Quote from: KCat on August 10, 2014, 02:00:06 PM
I do not think we need to put a time limit on it. I think it will take   probably 10/14 game for the team to get an understanding and the players who came late ( and  those that will come) to get fully fit.

It is such a shame that people cannot enjoy what is unfolding here ..................... 

fully agree

Lighthouse

Quote from: RidgeRider on August 10, 2014, 03:09:45 PM
Quote from: KCat on August 10, 2014, 02:00:06 PM

fully agree

This is an odd feeling for me sitting on this side of the fence. But totally  :plus one:

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: Admin on August 10, 2014, 01:38:31 PM
And before people start turning this post into a Magath witch-hunt, sensible answers on a postcard please.

It was clear as a bell yesterday that we have some great talent in that side, some talent that can tear some of those Championship sides apart this season, but obviously the balance has to be right.

At this moment in time, our biggest issue is that we do lack experience. I felt that we got bullied into submission yesterday after playing some good stuff, but Ipswich went and got physical when they wanted a foothold in the game. To me, it was clearly men against boys.

In my eyes, the team hangs heavily on a tipping scale right now. To little, to less, and we could be heading completely in the wrong direction, but a little more experience and the tweaking of certain players, and we could have a team that will be very dangerous in that division.

I realise that we're not a relegated QPR or West Ham this season, and don't have the resources to rely on Premiership quality to shoot us straight back up, so patients with Magath and the team will be key. I'd much prefer a slow start, but strong finish, unlike QPR who dwindled towards the end and were so, so luck to have got promoted.

I'll admit that I was watching the game yesterday through rose tinted Premiership glasses, and got the hump when we lost. I though it was our God given right to go to Ipswich and turn them over, but suddenly realised that this is a team who have never played together, nor managed by Felix in a competitive game. In reflection, a 2-1 defeat wasn't that bad.

Anyway, the whole point of this thread is to get peoples thoughts on how long it will take this team to settle - 3, 4, 5 or even 6 games possibly?           

Sensible, and accurate post. I for one was a little arrogant going into the game and thought that we would win, no matter what. When we went 2-1 down thanks to the deflection, I knew that we just had to score and draw because we are Fulham (and we came quite close)...it was definitely a wake up call for me. I think Woodrow and Rodders need to start, or throw on Taggart (lest we forget we have him).
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

ToodlesMcToot

Think we have to wait until the end of the transfer window to start putting time limits on "getting it right". Until the squad is finalized, I don't believe anyone has a good idea about the 1st 11.

One would have to believe that there is at least a likelihood that we'll be signing another keeper, another midfielder, and another striker (if both Mitro and Rodallega leave). Presumably, those signings would be players with a bit more experience than the ones we'd have left - not saying they'd be better necessarily.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Logicalman

I think trying to place a time limit - in matches - on this new beginning for the club is not realistic.

After the first half I made the comment that we have the skills on show but not the experience, and this is the time to make the massive changes that were required after last seasons debacle. Also if we keep the vast majority of the players for the whole season and not get promotion, then we will be one of the strongest teams next season. The second half didn't change my mind though I felt the finishing 10 outfield players could easily be the starting 10 next week.

Dembele was a little under par, but I especially likes what I saw after Roberts joined in. McCormack will need a couple of outings to gel, as will the rest of the team, but to have him and Roberts together would be a great start. Burns in the center at the back would provide a better defence.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

YankeeJim

I would like to see Burn get the nod, as had been said many times, he is a proven commodity at this level. I fear that Felix doesn't like him for some reason. I also think that Parker needs to go. I just don't see what he brings other than a reliable back pass. We need some muscle in the middle to go with our youth. Sidders would have meshed with this group much more than Parker. 
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.