watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why only 40 points

Started by Andy S, August 14, 2014, 12:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

What is our realistic target this year? Ok it is easy to say we want promotion but actions speak louder than words. Previously our Target points have always been stated at the start of the season as 40 points. When failure means relegation you have to aim higher. This season if we are going to gain promotion we need a lot more points. So what equals our success and what is failure

MJG

50 pts or less we are in trouble.

Playoff place we require 73. Only 3 times in last 13 years has that failed to find a play off place. 76 needed to absolutely make sure.

For an automatic place we need to be looking at the mid to high 80's. 87 will get you the second place for sure.

Champions are a 90 plus shot I would say. If we have that it will be a very good team needed to be above us.

Logicalman

Quote from: Andy S on August 14, 2014, 12:33:24 PM
What is our realistic target this year? Ok it is easy to say we want promotion but actions speak louder than words. Previously our Target points have always been stated at the start of the season as 40 points. When failure means relegation you have to aim higher. This season if we are going to gain promotion we need a lot more points. So what equals our success and what is failure

This is new ground for many, and the accumulated points in the Prem will differ from those required in the Fizzy League. It seems from previous years, 75 pts and above will bring you close to or into the play-offs, but anywhere below 50 points and it could be Div 1 football the following season!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Nick Bateman

Realistic target should be around 80 points.  Fulham should be looking to be in the automatic places and in fact winning the title as we did so impressively under Tigana.  Personally if we only made the play-offs I would be asking for Magath's head!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Burt

70+ points and you are in with a shout for a play-off position. A win ratio of c45% topped up by a bunch of draws.

90+ points and you are in with a shout for automatic promotion. Realistically this translates in to win ratio of around 60%. 

Joe5

From what I saw at ipswich, we got more chance going to the moon than winning promotion, we had no cutting edge up front, play was mostly down the middle which gave us very little width, and our Captain does not seem to know how to make a forward pass, he also gave the ball away quite a few times, Dembele looks lightweight, and Our £11 million pound player looks anything but lightweight. These are just my thoughts and as I have followed FFC since 1969/70 season I have seen a lot of false dawns, if we don't up our game for Millwall they will romp away with the 3 points.
FFC

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Nick Bateman on August 14, 2014, 01:03:09 PM
Realistic target should be around 80 points.  Fulham should be looking to be in the automatic places and in fact winning the title as we did so impressively under Tigana.  Personally if we only made the play-offs I would be asking for Magath's head!

Why? The goal is promotion. Playoffs provide an opportunity to achieve that goal. If promotion isn't attained, then so be it. He's off and we start again. But, if he earns that third slot, then he's built a promoted squad out of one that got relegated.....and so far, he'll have done it on the cheap. Can't ask for much more than that.

I'd love for us to have the opportunity to win this league as much as anyone but, when it comes right down to it, promotion to me is like any win. I don't really care so much how we get it, as long as we get it.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

alfie

Quote from: Joe5 on August 14, 2014, 04:27:07 PM
From what I saw at ipswich, we got more chance going to the moon than winning promotion, we had no cutting edge up front, play was mostly down the middle which gave us very little width, and our Captain does not seem to know how to make a forward pass, he also gave the ball away quite a few times, Dembele looks lightweight, and Our £11 million pound player looks anything but lightweight. These are just my thoughts and as I have followed FFC since 1969/70 season I have seen a lot of false dawns, if we don't up our game for Millwall they will romp away with the 3 points.

I think perhaps you might need to have another look at our Captain, he made quite a few forward passes and a few backward passes, but overall thought he was ok, still I guess we all see what we want to see.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

filham

Well then it seems Millwall is a must win game !

Burt

Wahey! One game in and already we are talking of "must-win" games  :dft011:

Andy S

I think that our aim when we were in the Prem should have been at least 50 points as everyone needs targets. This season every player should be given a target for goals scored, completed successful passes, interceptions and saves. There should also be a team Target. The targets should be there to stretch the players and be reassessed at various points during the season and readjusted if and when.

hovewhite

I would hope AS that's already sorted.

Twig

Quote from: alfie on August 14, 2014, 04:52:08 PM
Quote from: Joe5 on August 14, 2014, 04:27:07 PM

I think perhaps you might need to have another look at our Captain, he made quite a few forward passes and a few backward passes, but overall thought he was ok, still I guess we all see what we want to see.

I agree, he played several forward passes that set up attacks.  He is prone to turning which can slow things don but he definitely played the ball forward.

Deanothefulhamfan

When we did the pre season calculation on here, I predicted fulham would get 93 points and win the league, that was my pre season optimism, but I got back to reality on the opening day. There are a lot of better teams better than us and I think we will be around 73 points, which may be enough for a play off spot.... I think by then we will be playing fantastic, and will brush anyone aside in the playoffs.

MJG

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on August 15, 2014, 09:52:17 AM
When we did the pre season calculation on here, I predicted fulham would get 93 points and win the league, that was my pre season optimism, but I got back to reality on the opening day. There are a lot of better teams better than us and I think we will be around 73 points, which may be enough for a play off spot.... I think by then we will be playing fantastic, and will brush anyone aside in the playoffs.
If you want to have a go at all the fixtures you can download a spreadsheet I did here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/aixzb9li4vr2zg2/Fulham%20%202014-15.xlsx

Deanothefulhamfan

I did it already, that is what I was referring to.... It is good fun though and interesting to her how many points everyone thinks we will get, as I said mine was 93, but I have taken 20 off that total after last weekend.

MJG

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on August 15, 2014, 10:18:07 AM
I did it already, that is what I was referring to.... It is good fun though and interesting to her how many points everyone thinks we will get, as I said mine was 93, but I have taken 20 off that total after last weekend.
I do think late 60's to early 70's is well within our reach. I do see us getting to 80 at all.