watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Playing out from the back

Started by Julius Geezer, August 18, 2014, 08:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julius Geezer

Felix Magath's 'possession football' - will it be our downfall in this division?

How many teams have been successful in the Championship playing that style?

Are we going to start turning that possession into goals and results or are we going to spend this season getting mugged by teams playing unattractive long ball stuff?

cmg

What was the name of that team that got 101 points in 2001?

Chutney

Southampton and Swansea in recent years.
C O Y W

jags24

If we are going to eventually get promoted, then let's do it the right way and play an attractive brand of football where we develop our young players.  Just hoofing it might earn us a spot back up more quickly/easily, but we could never stay there like that.

Julius Geezer

Are we just being too patient though and not shaking opposition defences up enough?

Are we just going to keep being hit by a 'smash and grab'?

I'm sure people will change their tune as the season goes on and say we need to play more direct.

As the old cliché goes - this is a results business.

fulhamben

Possession football has to be the way for us with the players we have
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

jmh

Didn't Holloway get Blackpool promoted by playing possession football, and then (arguably, at least) fail to keep them up because they tried to play the same style against more talented teams rather than resort to cynical Allardyce hoof-ball?

H4usuallysitting

Leicester and Derby last season played "possession" football....Leicester promoted....Derby in play offs

mccscratch

Reading in 2005-2006 finished on 106 pts.... they played lovely football.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Forever Fulham

Bobby Convey and Marcus Hahnemann and a bunch of quality players back then who played with joy and harmony on that team.  A manager they liked, too.  Never heard of any negativity on that Reading team.  Must be a correlation between season-ending table standing and a good locker room.

faversham paul

I remember a team that played out from the back that was managed by Jean Tigana , his keeper Maik Taylor very rarely launched the ball up the park.we can play teams off the park every week in this division but if we don't score we have no chance.

fulhamben

Quote from: faversham paul on August 18, 2014, 10:02:44 PM
I remember a team that played out from the back that was managed by Jean Tigana , his keeper Maik Taylor very rarely launched the ball up the park.we can play teams off the park every week in this division but if we don't score we have no chance.
that was largely down to the fact, that everytime maik tried to kick, it went out for a throw in by the halfway line. his kicking was shocking
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

RaySmith

Give the team a chance-only two games gone - we will become more effective and develop  a cutting edge.

We were very unlucky not to score against Millwall, especially when you think of the lack of experience of the team.

VamosFFC

I'd much rather see "possession" football. Who wants to see long ball tactics being employed when it's basically luck getting the ball down and scoring. Possession football is so much more enjoyable to watch. 

faversham paul

I am confident we will survive this division but very concerned we will struggle and as a result the gates will drop and we will just become little old Fulham the  crewe Alexandra of the south, long way from the Man U . I've been watching Fulham since the early 70s and really enjoyed the rise to the prem but I must say I really don't want to watch my club punt the ball up in the air and hope for the best. I am excited by Roberts and rest of the lads trying to play the right way. Felix will keep these lads grounded and produce a smashing team if he's given some time. What we really need now is a little experience and some proven English coaches to get this to work, some help for the kaiser maybe a Chris Hughton would be good. If we got promotion this way I would be very proud of my little Fulham