https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (22/08/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 21, 2014, 07:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Apologetic Felix Magath calls for patience among Fulham supporters

Positive: Magath has told fans that results will come

Felix Magath apologised to Fulham's fans after they lost 1-0 at home to Wolves to record their third straight Sky Bet Championship defeat.

Bakary Sako's first-half strike leaves the Cottagers still searching for the first league win of the season and second from bottom in the fledgling Championship table.

Magath insists he is the man to turn things around, saying: "The message is sorry for the defeat but I can only ask for patience.

"We have a young team and I know it might be a tough beginning to the season but I am sure we are going the right way."

However the patience of chairman Shahid Khan, making a rare visit to Craven Cottage, may be starting to wear thin after his team of rookies - six starters were aged 21 or under - tasted defeat once again.

Magath added: "We met not only today but a few days ago, we talked about the situation and he knows the beginning of the season might be a difficult period if you changed a lot and have a young team.

"We need a win, sure. If we get three points it will build up our confidence. It's a long season so I don't worry about the situation now."

Wanderers, by contrast, are a settled, well-organised side who ran away with League One last season and look capable of making light work of the Championship.

They tore into Fulham from the off and took a deserved lead after 15 minutes when Scott Golbourne's low corner was dummied by Dave Edwards and allowed to run all the way to Sako, who drilled it into the bottom corner to open his account for the season.

Ross McCormack, Fulham's £11million striker, endured another frustrating night with his one sight of goal arriving just before the hour mark - and his drive from the edge of the area was always rising as it cleared the crossbar.

Instead it was Wolves who always looked like adding to their tally, with Matt Doherty and Danny Batth both missing the target with close-range headers before Sako blew their best chance in stoppage time, hitting the post with a penalty after Cameron Burgess had tripped Nouha Dicko.

Indeed Wanderers currently look far more likely to challenge for a return to the Barclays Premier League.

Wolves boss Kenny Jackett said: "I thought we played very well. There is a good hunger and desire to get a result in the squad.

"I'm pleased with how we've started, we've won two out of three and played well in the one we lost, so we feel it's looking promising going forward this season.

"We are all looking for one of those three promotion places, and with the size and history of this club our aspirations are to get Wolves back in the Premier League."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/apologetic-felix-magath-calls-for-patience-among-fulham-supporters-9682151.html

WhiteJC

Magath under pressure as Fulham lose again

LONDON - Fulham manager Felix Magath was under new pressure Wednesday after a 1-0 home defeat to Wolves, the Londoners' third successive loss which left them one place off the foot of the Championship table.

Bakary Sako's first-half strike was enough to secure the three points against a team relegated from the Premier League last season.

Sako missed an injury-time penalty before manager Magath left the field to chants of 'Felix Out' with his side only kept off bottom place in the table by Blackpool who are also without a point.

Wolves' second win of the season from three games put them in ninth place, but just a point off the lead.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/427829/?

WhiteJC

Fulham 0 - Wolves 1: Sako strike sinks rudderless Fulham

FULHAM'S nightmare start to the new season continued last night as Wolves condemned Felix Magath's new-look side to another defeat.

Bakary Sako's first-half goal – he even had the luxury of missing a last-minute penalty – was enough to send the boos ringing round Craven Cottage.

It was Fulham's third successive defeat and, on this latest evidence, it promises to be a long hard season ahead.

Wolves were good value for this win and the natives are becoming increasingly restless. But with such a young side at his disposal, there is little else where Magath can turn.

Manager Magath has been forced to go with youth given the summer shake-up in west London. Such was the extent of their overhaul that Scott Parker was the sole starter from their Premier League campaign of last season.

Once again there were four teenagers selected here despite the Fulham manager making wholesale changes from the side that lost 1-0 against Millwall on Saturday.

At least Ross McCormack, the £11million signing whose fitness had been questioned by Magath, was straight back in to add some much-needed impetus and quality in attack.

And how Magath's young players needed it given their harsh introduction toenior football. The problem for Magath's academy graduates is that Fulham remain a scalp.

Wolves appear a club going in the opposite direction and the contrasting start of the two teams suggested as much.

Wolves were quickest to every second ball while Fulham looked off the pace, jittery on the ball and had the look of a group of strangers playing together.

Wolves midfielder David Edwards beat the offside trap but flashed a shot just wide from the angle. Then Fulham goalkeeper Jesse Joronen just did enough to stop Rajiv van La Parra in his tracks as he bore down on goal in the 13th minute.

The warning signs were there but they certainly were not heeded as Sako opened the scoring two minutes later.

Fulham were caught napping by a well-drilled training-ground move as Scott Golbourne's corner found Sako in space to turn the ball home from the penalty spot.

The jeers rang out from the home supporters but, to Fulham's credit, they refused to feel sorry for themselves and lie down. With Parker an increasing influence from midfield, Konstantinos Stafylidis finally threatened as he drove over from 25 yards out.

You did get the feeling, though, that another Wolves goal would turn the crowd against the home side. That nearly happened when Danny Batth rose highest to head Sako's free-kick just wide after 39 minutes.

Magath had seen enough and he sent on Moussa Dembele to support McCormack up front in the 50th minute.

The injection of pace was clearly required and the Frenchman almost made an impact inside 60 seconds. Dembele drilled in a low shot that was turned aside by goalkeeper Carl Ikeme. But the attacking substitution only opened up more space for the visitors. That should have provided the second goal when Matt Doherty somehow headed over Kevin McDonald's deep cross in the 57th minute.

Sako fluffed the chance to make it 2-0 when he missed a spot kick in the dying seconds after a Cameron Burgess foul.

Lacklustre Fulham were left embarrassed and still looking for their first point of the new campaign.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/501705/Fulham-0-Wolves-1-Sako-strike-sinks-rudderless-Fulham

WhiteJC

The phrase a Brentford fan would never have said last season....

Having spent the vast majority of last season (the nailbiter against Rotherham United aside) hoping that our main promotion rivals, Wolves, would drop points each time they played, their victory over Fulham last night means I need to say, "Thank you Wolves. Great result".

It is a result that, whilst seeing Wolves overtake The Bees for now, leaves Fulham staring up at everybody barring Blackpool. Just to put that into perspective, they now have a record worse than that of serial jinx, Clem, from the Football League Show.

The BBC have the table in all it's glory, but if anybody needs reminding,you can see how it currently looks further below.

Football fans are a fickle bunch, that's for sure. Myself included. Despite what a minority of their supporters may have thought, I had no issue with Wolves last campaign – beyond the obvious concern about their threat to our promotion and title aspirations.

As such, I'd happily revel in every dropped point but, at the same time, would say that they were fully deserving of piping us to the top spot in a record breaking League One campaign. So, whilst I'd cheer when the likes of Shrewsbury or Crawley did us the proverbial favour, that was then...

...This is now and their victory over Fulham means I have nothing but the utmost of thanks to Wolves as it leaves the Cottagers stuck at the basement end of this fledgling table. I wasn't alone in cheering them on last night as the 1-0 scoreline stayed the same for longer and longer until the result was finally confirmed

Give it three months and I'll probably be wishing bad luck on Wanderers once more. I fully expect them to mount a promotion charge and, hoping for the same myself, something will have to give. For now, though, to see our neighbours sent down once more, I can only thank our one time rivals.

http://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/the-phrase-a-brentford-fan-would-never-have-said-last-season/?

WhiteJC

Bittersweet For Kavanagh

It was a bittersweet evening for Sean Kavanagh on Wednesday night against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The young Irishman was handed his Fulham debut at left-back in the clash with Wolves at the Cottage but saw the men from Molineux depart with all three points in a 1-0 win.

The result meant the Whites have lost all three of their opening games of the new Sky Bet Championship season.

"It was a proud moment to make my debut but it would have made it a lot better to win," the 20-year-old told the official website.

"I was confident going out there. The Manager put his trust in me so fair play to him. I was happy enough with my display but the team performance and the three points is the most important thing. We go again on Saturday and try and get three points at Derby County.

"We kept the ball well against Wolves and that was a positive but the result is the main thing. That's been the story of our season so far so we just need to get back into training and sort things out for Saturday. We have to improve in the next few weeks."

Fulham fell behind in the 15th minute to a well-rehearsed corner routine and Kavanagh admitted: "To lose the game on that type of goal was frustrating. We need to work on things like that.

"Wolves were hard to play against. They know their jobs and they work hard over the 90 minutes. Fair play to them but we're disappointed again."

Despite the defeat, Kavanagh turned in a good display, although an eighth-minute booking meant he had to curb his enthusiasm.

"I couldn't really make any tackles after that so I had to be careful and calm down," he stated. "I didn't think I'd get booked so early on."

Kavanagh struggled with injuries last season, making just eight appearances for Fulham's Under-21 side. However, he battled back to fitness and his debut was just reward for his hard work at Motspur Park throughout the summer months.

"It's nice to get back playing," said Kavanagh. "As a young lad you just want to get as many games as you can.

"Hopefully I can keep my place for Derby. They're a good side, especially at home, as we saw last year. We'll go there and try and get a good result. Once we get those first three points we'll be flying."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/21/kavanagh-post-wolves?

WhiteJC

What on earth has gone wrong at Fulham?

Eurosport Supervising Editor Seán Fay has been a Fulham season ticket holder for six seasons in which he has seen the team go from Europa League finalists to Championship strugglers; he tries to make sense of why it has all gone so wrong at Craven Cottage.

+++

On Wednesday night, while watching Fulham crash to their third consecutive Championship defeat, I, like most in the home end, was screaming at the team to get to the ball to Patrick Roberts.

If you haven't heard of Roberts, you will soon enough. He's is an immensely gifted attacking midfielder who moves with a smooth grace that is a joy to behold. His balance and diminutive stature call to mind the Messis and Maradonas of this world and while it would be ridiculous to hype him up alongside those immortals, there is no doubt he is destined for bigger and better things than the Championship.

He was also born in February of 1997 – which means he was probably conceived sometime around Euro 96'. A scary thought for those of us who remember that tournament so well!

Roberts did not see as much of the ball as most of us would have liked but he did at least play the 90 minutes. After the game, outside the ground, I spotted a 'not-as-familiar-as-it-should be' face taking photographs with kids. It was Greece international striker Kostas Mitroglou, who had been signed for £12.4m last January, but who has started only one game for Fulham.

"Why weren't you playing tonight?" the surrounding crowd asked him. "Ask the manager", he replied with a wave of his hand, "ask the manager."

At the start of last season Fulham were one of the most experienced teams in the Premier League; packed with seasoned internationals like Damien Duff, Brede Hangleland and Dimitar Berbatov, few were predicting them for the drop.

Now they are pointless in the Championship, their best player is a 17-year-old, and their club record signing is literally out on the street – seemingly little more than a smiling prop for fans' selfies.

How did it come to this?

I first purchased a Fulham season ticket in 2008. I had been in London in couple of years, missed going to football (I used to have a season ticket with Dublin club Shelbourne) and Fulham were affordable, local, inoffensive and in the Premier League.

What's more, I jumped on the bandwagon at just the right time. My first season was also Roy Hodgson's first full season in charge and Fulham finished seventh. The next season was even better; the club only finished 12th in the league but the run to the Europa League final was one of the most exhilarating sporting journeys I've ever felt a part of. I can only imagine how magical it must have been for those fans who have supported Fulham all their life and can remember the dark days in the lower divisions before Mohammed Al Fayed's money shot them into relevancy.

After those successes, Hodgson moved on to Liverpool, but he was ultimately doomed to fail at Anfield and I suspect his spell as England boss won't end well either.

The reason why Hodgson was so good at Fulham (and later West Brom) is because he can turn average into good. He puts in place a system that players can be moved in and out of easily and works on getting the simple things right.

Most teams in the bottom half of the Premier League are there because they are disorganised. The structures Hodgson puts in place means his teams can pick off these more chaotic fish regularly and be the best of the bunch below the bigger teams.

Where Hodgson struggles is with better players. Players whose unpredictability is a strength and not a weakness. Systems and structures need to be adapted to fit with such talents and that's, I suspect, why Hodgson has found it more difficult at bigger jobs.

Mark Hughes came in next and tweaked Hodgson's system while leaving the team's spine very much in place. It was evolution rather than revelation. The signing of Mousa Dembele added an element of class to the team but Hodgon's ideas still echoed around the place and after a rough start Fulham finished a credible eighth.

Hughes then felt he was bigger than the club and decided to walk. Fulham's team was ageing but there was still the meat of a good outfit there which could be freshened up with young talent if the club made the right appointment. Instead they appointed Martin Jol – and the club's current woes can be traced back to that day.

For Jol is the exact opposite of a manger to Hodgson. He is a gambler, not a conservative; and he decided to bring in a new type of player to Craven Cottage. Expensive, expressive players like Dimitar Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz. Players that can thrill, excite, make you 'ooh and ahh'; unpredictable players, anti-Hodgson players.

It started okay, but the problem with such players is they have to be on-form to be effective, and if they are not, they quickly become dangerous liabilities. It is very exciting when such talents arrive at middling clubs but you should always question why the bigger boys no longer need, or indeed never wanted, them.

At Fulham, Ruiz's good days started off rare and got even rarer and while Berbatov was adored on arrival, his performances went on a downward spiral before settling on erratic and frustrating.

Near the end of Jol's second season, the Dutchman's increasingly unpredictable team were becoming predictable in the one way you never want to be – they were losing every week. If the season had gone on two more weeks they have would have been relegated. The mood in the camp was clearly poisonous and Jol should have been sacked there and then.

Instead he was kept on until December of last season which only served to cement the losing culture at the club. He was finally put out of his misery and by the end he looked as disinterested as the team.

Fulham's managerial merry-go-round last season was roundly mocked as Rene Meulensteen came in only to be replaced by Felix Magath after a couple of months. It was undoubtedly a club, with a new owner, who were in panic mode, but if Meulensteen or Magath had been given the full season and not been thrown into a firestorm, then Fulham might have had a chance of survival. However, trying to sew together the wounds opened by Jol in the middle of the season was a fool's errand for anyone.

Meulensteen was treated particularly ruthlessly and harshly. This summer's relegation clear-out of the club's high-earning deadwood and the refocus on youth was a necessary step and Meulensteen, who made his name as a youth coach at Manchester United, might have been the ideal man for that task.

Instead, Fulham are stuck with Magath, a man of strict principles who imposes militaristic standards on players which, if not met, will see you frozen out. Hence why Mitroglou was watching from the stands as the far more limited young striker Cauley Woodrow was running his socks off up front in an exercise of futility against Wolves.

The Fulham fans have been given a completely new set of players to try and get used to. The path that the club, and Magath, have gone down seems unprecedentedly radical and it is jarring to watch, especially after three successive defeats.

Already, chants of 'Felix Out' are being heard from the Hammersmith End which are understandable but misguided. A fourth manager in nine months is surely not the answer for a club that has enjoyed its best success when its principal qualities were structure, organisation and stability.

While he is going about it in a highly unconventional way, this at least seems like the type of culture that Magath is trying to implement at Craven Cottage.

It is going to take Fulham longer than their fans would like to return to Premier League relevance, and patience will be tested. But at least the club's big earners and bigger egos appear to be either out, or on the way out.

And with players like Patrick Roberts and other young talents now playing the roles of protagonists, the hands of time are for once moving in Fulham's favour, even if the results are not.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/earth-gone-wrong-fulham-103848717.html?

WhiteJC

The Craven Corner: Why it's time for Felix Magath to leave Fulham

Our Fulham blogger is furious after the defeat to Wolverhampton Wanderers and believes that it's time for manager Felix Magath to leave.

Fulham have chalked up their third loss in the Championship in three games after being relegated from the Premier League last season.

Once again there are questions that need to be answered regarding team selection as Felix Magath shows a clear lack of consistency and stability.

I've said before that we need both consistency and stability to help the new squad gel together, giving the players a chance to understand how to play as a team rather than the constant switching of systems and positions amongst personnel.

Sadly, this was all overlooked once again last night as Fulham lost 1-0 at home to Wolves, who in all honesty should have beaten us by a bigger margin.

The only bright spark of last night's defeat was Patrick Roberts. Finally given the chance to start this season and proved why he should be the first name on the team sheet.

He was full of creativity, pace and energy he outshone any other player in white. We just have to hope that he believes in what we are doing at the club and hope the biggest clubs in this country don't turn his head, because he is the future of Fulham.

An incredibly nice person with the world at his feet, a credit to this club and already dubbed the 'English Messi' by many.

Thank you Patrick Roberts for at least giving me something positive to write about.

After taking a step back from the instant disappointment and anger from the game, it's clear that our new squad may not be as strong as we first suspected during pre-season.

For example, we have signed a large amount of foreign imports, who just like Felix Magath have no experience in English football, let alone the physical experience of the Championship.

It's okay, if we pass and move the ball about but without strength and conviction in winning the ball back from our opponents, we are always starting the game on a losing foot.

Signing Mark Fotheringham is a waste of wage budget and our time. I'm sorry if that comes across incredibly harsh considering he only made his debut last night.

But, in reality if you get released from League One strugglers Notts County you shouldn't be of the quality to start in a must-win game for a team relegated from the Premier League and that was evident.

Felix's attitude to team selection is too similar to Sunday League management right about now.

Everyone is getting a game, which is fine if you have nothing to play for at the end of the season, but it's vital to get off to a strong start and we should by now know who our strongest first XI is.

People moaned about Rene Meulensteen's inexperience as a manager, but in comparison, I'd love it if the Dutchman were still in charge.

He understood how to integrate youth with experience and most of all, under Rene Meulensteen we had a clear indication who the starting XI were and the system he was trying to implement stability.

One of the most frustrating aspects of last night's defeat was the fact we solved our left back situation with the addition of Kostas Stafylidis, but Felix decided to play him on the left side of midfield.

It's like buying a loaf of bread to be a doorstop. It could probably do it, but it's not made for the job and it shouldn't even really be thought about.

Stafylidis has proved in the opening two games that he is the left-back our club has cried out for since Paul Konchesky moved to Liverpool, so for Felix to play him further up the field was simply stupid.

This was nearly suicidal as playing Dan Burn at right back against Stoke.

Speaking of Burn, he was left out again. Our most experienced Championship defender who was rated as one of the best in this division last season hasn't even had a look in.

It was a no-brainer for everyone that Dan Burn would start most of our games this season.

The towering centre back would help calm the new players and help them understand what is expected.

Dan is a terrific defender and incredibly vocal, something we do not have when he is out of the team, especially as we sold David Stockdale too.

But this all stems back to Alistair Mackintosh and he has to face the music sooner rather than later.

The CEO that has overseen all this turmoil and chaos in the last year and has simply hidden behind the scenes.

How he can back Felix Magath after such a clear out this summer and three straight losses, two of which at home and against sides we shouldn't be losing to, is beyond me?

It's time for change in my mind and we still have nearly two weeks of the transfer window remaining.

We need to get a manager in who knows this league immediately.

Then we have to back him in the remaining days of the window to add some proven experience to help aid the development of the youth who are ready to play, Chris David, Thomas Eisfeld, Patrick Roberts & Emerson Hyndman to name a few.

Whilst, I appreciate many Fulham fans hate Tony Pulis, right about now he would stabilise this club and despite history with us, he would steady the Titanic of football.

Other candidates that could possibly sort this mess out are Chris Hughton, Steve Clarke or Neil Lennon.

All managers, who are fairly big personalities, yet understand the English game.

Unless there is a miracle over the next few weeks, I can't see my thoughts changing on this subject.

Felix, for me your time is up. Admit that you have made mistakes and do the right thing.

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/the_craven_corner_why_it_s_time_for_felix_magath_to_leave_fulham_1_3735265

WhiteJC

Claridge critical of Fulham approach

Steve Claridge was critical of Fulham manager Felix Magath after watching the Cottagers lose 1-0 to Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The West London club, whose 13-year spell in the Premier League came to an end in May, have made a poor start to the current Championship campaign, with defeat to the 2013-14 League One champions prompting Magath to apologise to Fulham fans for his team's third successive reverse.

But former Wolves striker Claridge, who won promotion to the top flight with Leicester City in 1995-96 and worked as a summariser for Radio 5 Live on last night's match, was bemused by the decision making of the ex-Bayern Munich boss which included playing £11m man Ross McCormack on the left wing during the second half.

"There are lots of things that Fulham manager Felix Magath says and does that simply don't add up," Claridge was quoted as saying by the BBC.

"He paid £11m for a new striker in Ross McCormack and then ends up playing him on the left wing in just his third game. Absolutely crackers."

Life in the second tier does not get easier for Fulham, however, with a trip to Derby County – last season's beaten play-off finalists – coming up this Saturday.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/claridge-critical-of-fulham-approach-123/?

WhiteJC

Interest mounts in McGugan
Sky Sports understands a host of clubs are weighing up a move for Watford star Lewis McGugan before the close of the transfer window.

Lewis McGugan: Target for Burnley, Fulham and Cardiff

McGugan is widely regarded as one of the best midfielders outside the Premier League after impressing for Nottingham Forest and Watford after emerging on the scene as an 18-year-old..

The classy playmaker came through the ranks at Forest and made over 200 appearances and scored 40 goals during his seven years at the City Ground.

McGugan joined Watford last summer and he quickly established himself as a key player at Vicarage Road, scoring 11 goals last term from midfield.

The 25-year-old set-piece specialist has an eye for a spectacular goal and several sides are thought to be ready to test Watford's resolve to hang on to McGugan.

Premier League new boys Burnley as well as Cardiff and Fulham are thought to be interested in McGugan as they look to bring in a goalscoring midfielder before the transfer window closes.

http://www.football365.com/watford/9432543/-?

WhiteJC

Felix Magath - Fulham boss convinced side can win promotion

Manager Felix Magath is adamant Fulham can make an immediate Premier League return despite their early struggles.

However, the 60-year-old German admits the task of winning promotion from the Championship is bigger than he and club owner Shahid Khan had anticipated.

Fulham remain pointless following Wednesday's 1-0 home loss to Wolves.

"I'm convinced that we can manage it this season," Magath told BBC London 94.9. "He [Khan] knows that it might be more difficult than we thought."

Fulham's losing start to Championship life
Aug 9: 1-2 v Ipswich Town (A)
Aug 16: 0-1 v Millwall (H)
Aug 20: 0-1 Wolves (H)

Former Bayern Munich coach Magath continued. "It may last a little bit longer.

"I know that it is a very tough league - I've never said anything different."

Magath apologised for defeat against Wolves which was Fulham's third successive league loss to start the campaign.
However, he defended the make-up of his side after making five changes to the team that lost to London rivals Millwall on Saturday.

"We have a lot of new players, a lot of new young players, and have to give them a chance," said Magath of the side that included six players under the age of 21 against Wolves.

"I told them that I will give everybody a chance."

Magath acknowledged the disappointment at Craven Cottage, but asked for patience from supporters as he the club rebuilds in the second tier.

"Sure the fans are not satisfied with the situation, but we have to change things and Fulham is not just struggling at the moment, they have been struggling for the last couple of years. The fans know that," said Magath.

"If things are down for a long time you cannot change things in a few weeks. It needs time, I hope the fans will have more patience and will support us in the next games."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28881324

WhiteJC

What on earth is Felix Magath doing?

I'll have to watch the highlights later, but for now, here's a quote from our manager before the game:

"It depends how we play and how the result goes. If we have a good game and good result, we will not change so much. If we have no result, like on Saturday, we have to change something."
Hmm.

Does he mean that he's looking for something in his team and sees every match as an opportunity to find out whether he's found it?  (like a lottery ticket, where you buy it on Wednesday and see if it worked out on Saturday). Will he, after we do win a match, think: "yes! that was the configuration we've been looking for!"

We have talked about partnerships around the pitch, and Steve Claridge on the radio did the same last night. When I was researching the Roy book (have you got yours yet?!) David Elm told me how during the week forwards would practice in pairs (he was with Eddie Johnson) to help build up an understanding.

Fast forward to 2014 and it's not clear that anyone in the team has played next to someone else more than once, except for the back four, which was remarkably stable until being hacked up last night.

If we think we need 10 games for luck to even out then does that not become about 30 if we field a different team every week? When you want to test something you generally try to stabilise the test as much as possible. So if I want to see what impacts on students' abilities to pass exams I look for two groups with as much in common as possible except for the variable I'm interested in. By looking at their results I can deduce that the variable they didn't share may be responsible for any variation.

(say you make two sandwiches: one has jam in the middle, the other has mashed snails; when you get people to rate the sandwiches sandwich A might get 8/10 and sandwich B 1/10. If you want to know why, you can deduce that since they both had bread, they both had butter, and they were both freshly made today, the difference is in the filling).

Put another way, if Fulham play a different team every week, one with 5 or 6 changes, it's very hard to learn anything. Suppose he makes 6 changes for Saturday and we sneak a 1-0 away win. What do we deduce?

That football is very random and we can't read too much into it
That these six changes were collectively responsible for the turnaround
That one of the six changes was crucial. Which one?

I don't know. What you would hope is that Magath has a vision for his team and wants to identify the team that best fits this. Anyway, here are our stabs this season (formations as per the Fulham website):

Back fours:

Hoogland Bodurov Hutchinson Stafylidis
Hoogland Bodurov Burgess Stafylidis
Hoogland Bodurov Burggess Kavanagh

Midfield

David Parker Hyndman Burgess (Diamond)
Parker Christensen Hyndman (4-3-3)
Roberts Parker Fotheringham Stafylidis (4-4-2)

Forwards

McCormack Dembele
Williams Rodallega Eisfeld
McCormack Woodrow

There are a few scenarios here:

He knows the opposition well and has designed a master plan for each team
He is 'trying things' to see what works
He is rotating the squad like Sir Alex Ferguson
He is wary of young players having a long season and trying to guard against burnout
He's trying to make Fulham impossible to scout
He's trying to keep his players on their toes and create a "battle for places"
He doesn't know what to do

Whatever, my guess is that the players are as confused as we are.

I sometimes think of football managers as being a bit like doctors. "Do no harm". Fulham seem to have stumbled into the opposite. I am the most patient person around but this just looks like chaos. We might well improve – conceding early goals in all three games has been unfortunate – but I haven't seen anything in our play to suggest that we're better than this.

The reasons to be optimistic are:

The defence has been quite settled so might come good
Parker and Hyndman seems like a reasonable basis for a midfield
We have Patrick Roberts
Ross McCormack does score goals.

And perhaps much else besides.  But sooner or later we need points. 

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2014/08/21/what-on-earth-is-felix-magath-doing/?

WhiteJC

Inside The iPro

Ahead of Fulham's trip to Derby County's iPro Stadium on Saturday afternoon (3pm), Rams supporter Andy Buckley-Taylor gives us the lowdown on what we can expect from the encounter.

What have you made of Derby's start to the new season?

It's early days yet and we have made a steady rather than a spectacular start. Points on the board are the important thing, though, and we've managed to do that which is good.

Were you pleased with the club's business in the summer?

I'm fairly pleased with the players that have been brought in. Cyrus Christie has been impressive in defence, while up the other end of the pitch we haven't seen a lot of Leon Best yet. Spanish midfielder Ivan Calero is one for the future but I'd say his compatriot Omar Mascarell is already pushing for a regular start. I'd like to see another centre half and a winger brought in, too.

Tying Will Hughes down to a long contract was arguably one of your best pieces of business this summer. Just how big a talent is he?

I'd say getting Craig Bryson on a new deal was our best signing, however Will Hughes is certainly an important part of our squad. He is a very gifted young lad. He reads the game well and can be a threat in attack too. He's played our opening games in a holding role and done okay there as well. He's continually watched by some of the country's top clubs.

Hughes aside, which other Derby players should Fulham be wary of on Saturday?

As I mentioned, I'd be wary of Bryson. I pity anyone who has the job of marking him. He's a real box-to-box midfielder who can be very dangerous whilst moving forwards. Last season he scored 16 goals, including two hat-tricks, which reflects his qualities well.

What do you make of Fulham as a side?

Fulham have obviously just dropped down and have found it tough getting out of the blocks. This is one very difficult division and it often takes relegated sides a few games to adjust. They will nevertheless still be a difficult proposition for most Championship teams to face, though.

Are there any of our players in particular who you expect to cause Derby problems?

I'd expect the whole Fulham side to give us trouble. If I was to single someone out, though, then I've long been an admirer of Scott Parker and fully expect him to be a crucial link in midfield.

What are the expectations for Derby this season?

We as fans expect top six. Nothing less will do after going so close to promotion last season.

In your opinion, what's the best and worst thing about a trip to the iPro Stadium?

The best thing about our stadium is that every seat offers a good view and the concourse offers a great choice of refreshments. There are a lot of eating places near to the iPro as well. The worst thing would be that there are very few drinking places.

What's one song we're bound to hear from the home fans?

You will definitely hear 'Since I was Young' sung by the Derby fans.

Can you recommend a good pub for away fans to head to before the game?

The Navigation and The Brunswick are pubs that usually welcome away fans.

And if we had to push you for your match prediction?

As for predicting the result, I'm obviously hoping for a Derby win. I think that maybe we can nick it 2-1.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/21/inside-the-ipro?

WhiteJC

Away The Lads

Saturday's trip to Derby County will see the team wear our black second strip for the first time on the road.

The new adidas away kit was launched at the beginning of the month and is available to purchase online and instore. The reintroduction of the black kit – with added infrared stripes – has proved popular with supporters and at £44.99, it's £5 cheaper than last year.

Part of our 'New Originals' concept and in line with the home kit, our away strip offers both contemporary design and technical innovation.

With the season now up and running, don't forget the option of printing your name or the name of your favourite Fulham player on the back – complete with number.

To purchase our home and away strips, visit our Club Shop at Craven Cottage (Monday to Saturday 9am–5pm and Sunday 11am–4pm) or the online store at www.fulhamdirect.fulhamfc.com

Our online store offers a click and collect option for both the Stadium Store and Motspur Park (customers get free UK delivery when spending £75 or above) – so there really is no better time to show your colours for the 2014/15 season.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/august/21/away-the-lads?

WhiteJC

Fulham: Sack Felix Magath, bring in Tony Pulis and promotion awaits

Should Fulham ditch Magath and bring in the former Crystal Palace boss to replace him?

Fulham's poor start to the Championship season continued last night with a 1-0 defeat in front of the Craven Cottage faithful against Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Felix Magath is the club's current boss, taking over from Rene Meulensteen last season as The Cottagers went through three in just one campaign. Based on current evidence, Fulham might do better to part ways with the controversial German.

There is no doubting his credibility as a manager. But his philosophy for the club is not conducive to winning promotion. So far his team selections have looked very suspect. He continues to ignore the likes of World Cup star Bryan Ruiz, massive signing Kostas Mitroglou, Dan Burn, Alex Kacaniklic and Fernando Amorebieta - all players who could surely have an impact at this level.

Not all of them have warranted a chance but the absence in particular of Burn, who shone for Birmingham City in the Championship last term, continues to bemuse fans and pundits alike.

Playing the youngsters is perfectly fine but Magath is not doing so with the subtlety of a man with his experience. The reality check is also this - only a handful will make it at this level. Patrick Roberts is a given while Emerson Hyndman, Chris David and Moussa Dembele are also talented. But Cauley Woodrow, Sean Kavanagh, Lasse Christensen and Cameron Burgess - the club have better options not getting a look in. These players would do better being sent out on loan.

Fulham should sack Magath, and as controversial as it may be, bring in Tony Pulis - without a job after leaving Crystal Palace.

Pulis would not be an initially popular choice with Fulham fans but like it or not he would more than likely get this group promoted - playing football in his own brand.

There are players in this Fulham team custom made to play for Pulis. Dan Burn, Alex Kacaniklic, Scott Parker, Hugo Rodallega, Ross McCormack and even Kostas Mitroglou would certainly have interested Pulis at either Stoke or Crystal Palace.

Magath is still trying to find his best team, ask Pulis today what Fulham's best team is and he will already know it. Magath is a proud lion in hyena territory - it is time for Fulham to let Pulis put the bite back in their promotion campaign.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/08/21/fulham-sack-felix-magath-bring-in-tony-pulis-and-promotion-await/?

WhiteJC

Amorebieta in talks with Grenada
by DAN on AUGUST 21, 2014

Fernando Amorebieta could be close to a return to Spain after entering talks with Grenada, according to the Daily Mail.

The Venezuelan international has not featured in any of Fulham's first three games in the Championship and is widely tipped to leave Craven Cottage before the close of the summer transfer window. Amorebieta has struggled to make an impact with Fulham, making just 22 appearances and scoring a single goal, and flitting between centre back and left back.

The 29 year-old's wages might be an issue for Grenada, who currently sit 15th in the La Liga table, although Malaga are also interested in the centre back, who spent eight years at Athletic Bilbao before signing for Fulham on a Bosman transfer last summer.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2014/08/amorebieta-in-talks-with-grenada/?