News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A brief evaluation of our season so far...

Started by God The Mechanic, August 25, 2014, 02:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

Quote from: God The Mechanic on August 25, 2014, 11:39:43 AM
Quote from: epsomraver on August 25, 2014, 11:22:17 AM
Shame we cannot have someone who has actually been to all the games to give an assessment, when the mention of what I have watched on the streams was mentioned it fell down, however there is a lot I  agree with with on there

You miss things when you're at the games in the same way you miss things when you're not and only see it on TV or a stream.  Part of the reason for this post was to put forward what and how I've seen things, and get others to do the same.  You've said you agree with a lot of what I've put, what DON'T you agree with or feel needs more focus?

I was not criticising your post but asked if a similar post by someone who had had the same view as Magrat could give their take, I have only been to the two home games and I differ from you regarding Bodarov and Parker, I don't rate Bodarov at all, his first touch is poor as is his reading of the game, Parker is the only one mid field who is trying to find the pass but with no movement off the ball apart from  George Williams out on the wing being ignored most of the Millwall game there was not many options Dembele seems to have faded badly since his promotion to the first team, not the player he was, even when back with the U 18,s wonder why?

jags24

I don't see the point in ripping Parker as he is our best player, a class act and a team leader.  It is strange not to rate him as a player, especially considering the surrounding cast.  He stood up to Magath so I can't see how it can be said that he is not a leader.  I think the players respect and believe in him.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: epsomraver on August 25, 2014, 12:36:08 PM
Quote from: God The Mechanic on August 25, 2014, 11:39:43 AM
Quote from: epsomraver on August 25, 2014, 11:22:17 AM
Shame we cannot have someone who has actually been to all the games to give an assessment, when the mention of what I have watched on the streams was mentioned it fell down, however there is a lot I  agree with with on there

You miss things when you're at the games in the same way you miss things when you're not and only see it on TV or a stream.  Part of the reason for this post was to put forward what and how I've seen things, and get others to do the same.  You've said you agree with a lot of what I've put, what DON'T you agree with or feel needs more focus?

I was not criticising your post but asked if a similar post by someone who had had the same view as Magrat could give their take, I have only been to the two home games and I differ from you regarding Bodarov and Parker, I don't rate Bodarov at all, his first touch is poor as is his reading of the game, Parker is the only one mid field who is trying to find the pass but with no movement off the ball apart from  George Williams out on the wing being ignored most of the Millwall game there was not many options Dembele seems to have faded badly since his promotion to the first team, not the player he was, even when back with the U 18,s wonder why?

Didn't see it as criticism, but figure you seem to go to a fair few games so may have something you wanted to add :p

God The Mechanic

Quote from: jags24 on August 25, 2014, 12:58:50 PM
I don't see the point in ripping Parker as he is our best player, a class act and a team leader.  It is strange not to rate him as a player, especially considering the surrounding cast.  He stood up to Magath so I can't see how it can be said that he is not a leader.  I think the players respect and believe in him.

My problems with Parker are the same as last year.  He wants to do too much, be in too many places and try things that he isn't capable of - that's fine as a younger player, but for someone who has been playing as long as he has he should have learnt to play to his strengths and within his limits.
He doesn't have positional discipline to hold a position, his passing isn't as good as it needs to be to be a play maker and he doesn't have the legs to be box to box for 90 minutes.  He isn't bad, and has experience, but he isn't a master of anything (or at least not what we need) in my opinion.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Stefano Okaka Chuka on August 25, 2014, 12:25:07 PM
I wholeheartedly disagree on our preseason. The main issue we faced was blending so many players together and letting them know what was expected from them in competitive games. Admittedly this summer was all change and so we decided to play mickey mouse teams everywhere in the universe, Austria, England, the US and Scotland.  It was all but promising.

From the first two games it looked as though we had blended as a unit though.  We had structure and the players were doing a lot of the right things, just without a killer instinct.  It looked as though we were moving towards being a cohesive unit, just without the end product - then Magath decided to change everything positive about those two games in our next two.

Neil D

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on August 25, 2014, 12:19:03 PM
A good manager like Roy will put together a team that is better than its parts. Magath seems to have the opposite effect on players.
That just about hits the nail on the head.  Good to read an intelligent, well-argued and reasoned thread shorn of the habitual personal abuse that mars most of them on this issue.

jarv

well thought through. A lot on here talk about a good pre-season....also mentioned on this post. Well, Fulham did not actually play one decent professional team. The pre season was a complete waste of time in my opinion. My son was a non league player and could easily have played for East Fife, possibly even Crawley which was the strongest opposition.

FinFFC

As for Parker, I do agree with you GtM. He hasn't seemed like he has the discipline to sit deep, but thus far he has played the DMC position only against Ipswich in the end, when Hutch was changed out. True also that during the whole of last year he didn't show it either. I just think that sonce we seem to be stuck with him for now, the position where he could be most useful is IMO is the sitting DMC - an anchir man, so to speak. That would give us the upper three CM positions to fill with faster, technically more capable and more creative players OR with even stronger ball winning types such as Tunnicliffe (if I've understood his abilities correctly from the few glimpses we've seen).

Whitesideup

Quote from: GloucesterWhite on August 25, 2014, 12:15:43 PM
An excellent summary of events to date and player assessments.

I think HatterDon's comment about Dembele is right, and I think the reason is a player gets more time in the Prem whereas he will be pressured/kicked about in the more physical Championship.

Two things need to happen IMO: a change of manager is obvious, and a strengthening of the board. Either Mackintosh has to go or he needs help. At the moment he is in effect running the club on his own and can't cope. More directors needed to help him and to advise Khan.
I don't think it's a case of not being able to cope but simply making wrong decisions. From what Khan said it was clear bringing in Magath was Ali Mac's agenda and it was unmitigated disaster. And this is not just hindsight. Magath's record is flawed... yes there are some good points but the negatives were there for all to see. And these were pointed out in posts at the time, so not just hindsight. Not only that, but the timing was awful ..just after Meulensteen had changed the team and had two excellent performances. This is simply poor decision making. He doesn't need help .. he needs to go with Magath and to go now.  

GloucesterWhite

Quote from: Whitesideup on August 25, 2014, 02:00:18 PM
Quote from: GloucesterWhite on August 25, 2014, 12:15:43 PM
An excellent summary of events to date and player assessments.

I think HatterDon's comment about Dembele is right, and I think the reason is a player gets more time in the Prem whereas he will be pressured/kicked about in the more physical Championship.

Two things need to happen IMO: a change of manager is obvious, and a strengthening of the board. Either Mackintosh has to go or he needs help. At the moment he is in effect running the club on his own and can't cope. More directors needed to help him and to advise Khan.
I don't think it's a case of not being able to cope but simply making wrong decisions. From what Khan said it was clear bringing in Magath was Ali Mac's agenda and it was unmitigated disaster. And this is not just hindsight. Magath's record is flawed... yes there are some good points but the negatives were there for all to see. And these were pointed out in posts at the time, so not just hindsight. Not only that, but the timing was awful ..just after Meulensteen had changed the team and had two excellent performances. This is simply poor decision making. He doesn't need help .. he needs to go with Magath and to go now. 

Won't be sad to see him go. My point is that the board should consist of more then one director (OK, there's also an accountant but he doesn't have a football background and is there just to crunch the numbers). Khan needs more than one person giving him advice - like MAF did. Khan changed that and he is paying the price as the value of his asset shrinks, and we are seeing our beloved club sink.

Logicalman

GTM,

Great post and analysis. I do disagree with the Parker aspect inasmuch that "tries to do too much, which suggests a lack of faith in those around him (which isn't good for a captain)", as I feel he realises that he has vastly inexperienced players around him and needs to lead by example and actions. Perhaps the youngsters will learn a little patience from him, old head and all that.

Totally agree concerning Joronen, and have said so before. he does have the potential, but he appears awkward, uninspiring to his defenders, and his disbursement needs a lot of work on it. I believe David & Roberts should be our starters, as we need to get out of the blocks running. Bringing on players that can run at the defense after we're 1 or 2 down is not the answer imho, we need to get ahead and then let the opposition bring it on, rather than the current situation of going behind and chasing the game.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

HatterDon

Quote from: nose on August 25, 2014, 11:13:20 AM
very good post, too long for me to read

You just can't beat a comment like that.  064.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MasterHaynes

Thank you for a reasoned post, agree with everything you say, would also like to see Williams(G) and Roberts alternately used as Subs in last 20 minutes. The subs apart from Hoogland should be made of our youngsters as they are better than the likes of Chihi, Fotheringham etc, I thought LVC did a good job when he started, seemed the only critiscm was that he tried too many long balls some were cut out but he was the only player trying to release the wide players early which was the only way we were going to get i behind them. LVC could take over from Parker when he fades in the last 15 minutes. If only Felix would read your post and thinks about all the valid points he might turn it around.

bill taylors apprentice

Here's a briefer and simpler evaluation.

No one really knows what the owner has in mind for the club, he makes positive proclamations e.g. his message that came with my season ticket and then fails to deliver.

The CEO has a good reputation within the business but he is either not being consulted by the owner or he has made far to many important mistakes in the last year.

We desperately needed a clear out but we have not signed enough quality, experienced players to compliment the youth.
Constraints set by the budget would hinder any manager but looking in from the outside (and probably from the inside too) he shows nothing in tactical awareness, team building, motivation etc etc but we are fit.

We have plenty of youth coming through but we will ruin many if the despair of defeat continues.  

New manager and 2 or 3 quality signings now or we are doomed.

nose

Quote from: HatterDon on August 25, 2014, 03:08:04 PM
Quote from: nose on August 25, 2014, 11:13:20 AM
very good post, too long for me to read

You just can't beat a comment like that.  064.gif

thanks you enjoyed but you have been selective in your quote