News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A brief evaluation of our season so far...

Started by God The Mechanic, August 25, 2014, 02:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

God The Mechanic

Sorry this is a bit long...

So, after the initial (rightful) hysteria of this week's performances has died down I figured I'd do an early evaluation of how things have gone so far this year and how players have performed from what I've seen.  Feel free to disagree...

Pre-season, whilst not overly taxing in terms of opposition, was pretty decent.  We were playing structured and fairly decent football, and getting the results too.  It looked as though there was a plan in place, something we've lacked for a while and what made me think Magath would be successful.  We were lowering the age of the squad, and bringing in tried and tested players at a much higher level than we'd be competing - things looked promising.  We'd gone though a lot of upheaval, but it was what was needed.  It should have happened over the course of a few seasons, but Khan and Magath were dealt a difficult hand and had to do it in one fell swoop.

Then the first competitive game came around.  Ipswich were a tough team, they had a strong record at home last year and it was never going to be an easy game.  They were physical, occasionally overly so, but nothing that couldn't have been expected.  We played well, we had plenty of possession (something we'd struggled with recently) and created chances, we just didn't put them away.  Similar to Spain at the WC, had Dembele (or David Silva) scored when given a decent chance things could have panned out differently.  But he didn't (and he didn't) and we lost the match, though there were in my opinion plenty of positives to be taken from it.

Millwall was pretty similar, we had loads of the ball, made loads of the right moves but couldn't put the ball in the back of the net.  It's been forever our issue, we don't score nearly enough goals.  But it felt like it was only a matter of time until things clicked, it was a new team and it would take time (and it still will take time).

Then this week.  Wolves saw a few pretty inexplicable changes and all the good that had been started in pre-season and the first two games was undone.  It could have been a blip, but Saturday suggests otherwise.  I don't need to go into too much detail about that.  The scoreline says enough, but the performance was terrible too - it was Wolves on steroids.  It was awful.

We are not currently a team, which isn't too extraordinary, but we're not moving towards being one either, and that's the issue.  We had looked like we were, and then as soon as competitive play started Magath just ignored all the good that had been set in motion.

Now onto the players, we've used a fair few so far but I figure I'll give them each a bit of a look in (how Magathian!):

Joronen - he's not ready, he's not bad but with what he currently has in front of him playing a full season will only do more harm than good.  He's made some decent saves, and there's obvious communication and familiarity issues that come with being a young keeper who hasn't played many games.

Hoogland - initially pretty promising I thought, but from what people have said and what I've seen in the streams I've found he's doing what Reither did last year.
Voser - he's only played 20 minutes or so and we concede a bunch of goals, but individually he looked better than Hoogland has so he'd probably be first choice right back for me.
Bodurov - has to start.  He's been the best player for us this year, yes we've conceded goals but he's defended well and has experience we will need.
Burgess - simply not ready.  He's too young, and I really don't know why he's played as much as he has done.  He hasn't shown anything to suggest he's an outstanding talent, but he does look like he will become a good defender eventually.
Hutchinson - had an awful debut, got bullied for the second and annihilated for pace for the first.  He looked good in pre-season, but hasn't taken that form into league play as yet.  Probably needs a bit more training before playing more first team football.
Stafylidis - looked as though he'd been the left back we've needed since Konchesky left in pre-season, but like Hutchinson hasn't really transferred it to league play.  That being said, he should be starting left back, he has something about him and will likely be a fantastic player in a few years.
Kavanagh - unlucky to get the early booking on his debut and from all reports had a fine game against Wolves, but his youth and naivety combined with that of Burgess against Ipswich was absolute torture.  Looked like he'll be a decent player but nowhere near it yet.

Parker - our experience in midfield.  I'm not a fan, but he's been ok.  Probably tries to do too much, which suggests a lack of faith in those around him (which isn't good for a captain) but unless he's replaced by quality he'll likely be starting midfielder for us all season.
Eisfeld - looked alright, nothing great but hasn't played that much (I haven't seen the full Millwall game so can't really comment on his performance there).
David - fantastic creative spark in the first half against Ipswich, got kicked to crap but always wanted the ball and wanted to make things happen.  Then dropped.  Has to start.
Roberts - he scares defenders, something most players don't.  Definitely not a starter every game, but one in every three and sub appearances in between will probably be decent or his development at this point.  Genuinely exciting player.
Ryan Williams - not ready, may never be to be honest.  Gave the ball away dangerously a few times against Derby and just doesn't look like a player we should be playing all too often, better cover than Fotheringham though.
Fotheringham - yeah, no.  I don't get it.
George Williams - promising but young and inexperienced.  Can't play both him and Roberts for full games, but I reckon he'd be a decent sub to bring on if/when chasing the game.  Has pace and against slow and tired players he'd be dangerous.
Hyndman - absolute star of the season so far.  So comfortable on the ball, does the simple things well and the tricky things rarely.  Very smart player for his age, should be building the midfield around him in my opinion.
Christensen - from most reports he isn't ready yet, didn't see him play so can't comment properly.
Kacaniklic - not played enough but this is likely his level, possibly a bit lightweight but his pace should help him there.

Dembele - missed a decent chance and isn't a complete enough player to be able to afford misses, but he's young and probably could do with more time in the youth teams than first team at this point.
McCormack - not up to speed, and his lack of minutes in pre-season shows as he has little understanding with his team mates and them of him.  Will likely come good, as he is tried and tested in this league, but he isn't a 30 goal scorer for us at this point.
Woodrow - I like him.  He offers better hold up play than Dembele but can occasionally slow the game too much like Berba did, should definitely be in and around the first team though.
Rodallega - this is his level.  If he's ever gonna be a 20 goal a season striker for us this is the year, but he's only played one full game.

Magath - it started pretty well!  Pre-season it looked like he was finally setting out a direction for us, something we need desperately.  But he changed everything that had worked so well as soon as the season started and has kept changing things since then.  He needs to go, not because we need more change because we don't.  We absolutely do not need change.  We need direction, and having started by going in the right direction he's double backed on himself and it looks as though we're about to end up in a ditch.

We're late in the window now, and it really isn't the best time to be making a change, but it needs to happen.  Not because anyone/everyone is better than Magath, because that isn't true, but because Magath isn't what's best for us.  We desperately need to not fall into the trap of getting rid just because "anyone is better than him", or else we will find ourselves in the same situation later down the line.  We need to make a change with an idea in mind, we need to get the right people in beneath Khan and we need to get the right people in above the manager.  We will change managers, we're a small club and that is just what happens.  Be it because of a poor run of form leaving us precariously close to the drop or not nearing promotion, or even because we do well and they get poached, managers will come and go.  But we need someone at the top to set out a plan that means when that does happen, we get the right replacement and one that won't need to change how the team set up and play, but tweak it.  Similar to the Barca ideology, Tata Martino was not a big name and still isn't really a big name, but he was within a goal of winning the league with a set of players because his style matched their style.  Our youth team has been tremendously successful, and instead of saying "our youth team should play like our first team" it should be the other way round.  We have players with potential, we need to get our first team playing like they did - in part because many of them ARE now our first team, but also because they have an identity.  Something our senior team doesn't.

So where do we go now?  Well, we need to start a settled team in a settled formation using our best players in their best positions.  It isn't rocket science, but it's something we're not doing.  We have experience, and we have the talent in the squad to not be in this position.  We are NOT a poor team, but we're being poorly managed. - that being said, we do still need to strengthen.  We need a goalkeeper who isn't 7 and for the first time in three years we need to get a midfielder, ideally a right winger though I have no idea how good that guy we signed is.
I'd play either a 4-5-1 or a 4-3-3, or maybe both interchangeably depending on how the game is going.  If no one is brought in or leaves, I'd start with:

Joronen

Voser – Bodurov – Burn/Amorebieta – Stafylidis

Parker – Hyndman – David/Eisfeld

Roberts/Ruiz        –                Kacaniklic

Mitroglou/McCormack

Parker and Hyndman can sit and do the simple things, Parker can even bomb forward if he desires when opportunity arises and David can provide the thrust and creativity from midfield.  Ruiz/Roberts will be a more central/off the striker or at least spend most of their attacking time cutting in to support Mitro or Mccormack and Kaca will provide width on the left hand side.  Yes it will leave our right a bit exposed, but with both Parker and Hyndman in they should be able to offer cover if we're caught short in defence.
If we get a proper right sided player, 4-2-3-1 would probably work best with the same back five (or with whichever new keeper is brought in) then:

Parker – Hyndman

new right guy – Ruiz/David – Kacaniklic

Mitroglou/McCormack

I thought this is what we were getting with Magath.  Everything he said at the end of last season suggested he had a plan and was building a team, not assembling a squad of players that don't fit like Jol did.

That being said, we do need to give the team time.  The TEAM will take time to work itself out, it just will.  But Magath doesn't seem to be able to work it out and is seemingly working against doing so and doesn't deserve the time to try any more.

HatterDon

This is a very well thought-out post with some good suggestions.

I am also baffled at the disappearance of David who I thought was our "player of the first half" against Ipswich. Having said that, I think that the only thing that McCormack is missing is a little bit of touch. It'll be there in a game or two, and I think he is one of the MUST START crew.

The only good thing to come out of the last two matches -- for me -- is the partnership between McCormack and Woodrow. Cauley does the hard work and graft that a good English forward should. He is also a MUST START guy. As is Stafilydis and Budarov.

I can't really comment on the Voser v. Hoogland conundrum, because I can't yet figure out if we have a 3-5-2, a 5-3-2, or the 4-4-2 that the press keeps reporting. With our supposed fullbacks acting more like wing backs, it's hard for me to decide who is playing where. A good friend of mine over on FulhamUSA.com says that -- unlike the Jol years, now we're playing TOO wide in attack and leave our central defenders nekkid.

Parker? I just don't know.

About our two baby stars ... Roberts should not be starting. He's frightening to our opponents when he comes on at 60-75 minutes, but in the two matches he's started, he seems stifled and bereft of ideas. He should be the first man off the bench, but he should not start. While I never expected Dembele to immediately dominate the league, I also didn't expect him to be so easily pushed around. When he featured at the end of last season, he looked tough and strong. He looks neither now. I don't see him getting much of a runout other than a League Cup match.

Rodallega is okay, but I wouldn't have him start over Mac and Cauley. The more Mitroglou doesn't play, the more attractive he is to a lot of people, but I've not seen anything there. He's slow, immobile, bad a holding up and distribution, and not really interested in getting stuck in. I don't think he'd suddenly get better in those categories while getting the lumps kicked out of him by Championship defenders.

Ruiz is the best player in our squad, and if Hyndman isn't starting, he should be. I'm assuming injuries in the latter case and rest/lack of match fitness in the former.

I agree with you completely about the other players.

As I've said elsewhere, the scope of the wholesale changes added to the number of players without previous form to go to has made Felix use the first four matches as experiments. The results have ... to put it gently ... sucked, but I think we're at the point where were going to see a fairly stable game day squad.

We'll see.

Good writing, sir. thanks
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

love4ffc

I like this post.  It's not your normal rant so I applaud you for that.  I agree with most of your opening statement.  I also agree with most of your player profiles. 

The ones I don't agree with are:

Joronen, I still like him and see no reason to replace him

Parker, I have always liked him.  I have liked him from his Liverfool days and Spurs.  I have always thought he was a good replacement for Murphy.  I still like him and think he has been rejuvenated by his surrounding youth players. 

I KNOW I WILL CATCH FLACK FOR THE ABOVE.  I DON'T CARE. 

Felix - I am perplexed by the man.  When he came in last season I said no way, wrong choice.  Over the course of the summer and the start of this year I was thinking that this is actually good and things are looking better.  However now I am confused by him and his current decisions.   

With that said I agree with you we still need to give the team time and give them our full support. 

049:gif

Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Tonywa

A very fair assessment, but it does show that at least fifty per cent of the current squad is not yet ready to play at this level which is worrying in the extreme and the continual chopping and changing of the side does nobody any favours.  What worries me is that sacking Magath, which is surely the best option as things stand, will have to be done quickly to give any new incumbent a half-chance of bringing in new players while the transfer window is still open. Sacking yet another manager would be an admission by Kahn and Macintosh that they had, yet again, made a mistake with their appointment and I'm not altogether sure that they will be willing to do that so near to the start of the season.  I hope and pray they bite the bullet soon, for I will be amazed if things improve under the current management team.  Indeed all the indications are that they are getting worse and that's something which will cost the club dear in the long term

FinFFC

Very good OP, nice to read well structured and argumented thoughts.

To comment on this I also created my insight to the line-up I think we should be using.

I'd like us to stick with the 4-4-2 diamond (or 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-1-3-2, if you like):

The arrows are supposed to show which way the players should move when we have the ball.

The OP mentioned that we have been too vulnerable in our defence because our DC's are too far apart. I think that should be corrected with our DMC dropping deeper, almost becoming a third CB when we have the ball. DC's would spread out a bit, allowing our fullbacks to act as wing-backs and to get forward very strongly all the time.

Noticed that I dropped Hoogland altogether. Initially meant to put him as an alternative to Parker. And of course he could also play instead of Voser. I don't have too strong opinion of them yet, as Voser has played so little.

If we need more steel in our midfield, I'd put Parker as DMC (so that he could just sit deep and spread the ball easily, as he doesn't seem to able to pick more expansive passes), and add Tunnicliffe above him along Hyndman. Latter one of these would be our creative force coupled with the AMC player (David, Ruiz or Eisfeld). It is debatable should Tunni and Parker be switched here, but I just don't rate Parker too much as box-to-box because of his lack of vision in seeing the correct passes in tight situations.

On top I have McC with Woodrow. If Mitro plays, I think he could be thrown in instead of Woodrow. They aren't necessarily direct substitutes, but I can see McC being able to play both as the pinnacle of the attack or as #10.

Then on AMC position I have marked David/Ruiz (add Eisfeld if you will). I can see this being the best position for Bryan if he plays for us ever again. He could be second striker as well, but then our main striker should be someone that runs the channels (don't think McC fits the bill here), as we would be way too static and easy to defend against otherwise. I also think David was good against Ipswich and I can see no reason why he was dropped for the next three games. Eisfeld offers probably more defensive solidity, if needed.

Arthur

GTM,

I think your overall assessment of our squad is very reasonable (although passing judgement on players on the basis of one game - or even one half - will inevitably have a greater margin for inaccuracy).

I shall, however, rise to the defence of Ryan Williams. First, he did not feature at all at Ipswich. Secondly, I thought he did well on Saturday, particularly in the first-half when he displayed a willingness to receive the ball and injected a sense of purpose and urgency into our midfield.

As a consequence, I differ with your view that he is not ready: I think he did enough at the weekend to suggest that he may be ready and more than enough to merit a further opportunity in the starting XI.

nose

very good post, too long for me to read i am afraid in my current unstable frame of mind.

here is my review.
unmitigated disaster, we need a new manager, without that everything else is secondary because mr magath is bound to fail.

even if we win say the next two (very unlikely) and everyone gets excited.... it will still go wrong. i have seen it all before and this is almost the worst i have witnesssed (jol was worst equal with branfoot).

Lighthouse

How do fans have such a clear head? Very clear and oddly concise despite the length.

We need a stronger and more Championship experienced spine to the team. The first two games proved we are very close to being a very good side. The last two games proved we have a team very close to being good and a manger who appears to have no idea what he is doing.

It is very frustrating to watch yet another dismal collapse when the solutions are generally agreed upon by many.

Thanks for the post.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

jags24

I don't like the idea of using Parker as a quasi-centre back because I don't think it suits his game.  The diamond looks good in the MF, considering the players we have - we don't seem to have a legit right winger at the moment.  It is a little hard to draw up tactics because we don't know for sure who is staying or leaving, so we should really revisit this topic next week.

I would also stick with Hoogland over Voser.  I get that centre-back is a problem, but it would be less so if Amore or Burn were to stick around.  They may not be playing because they are requesting a departure.  Until we really know who the squad is, it is just hard to say what the tactics ought to be.

epsomraver

Shame we cannot have someone who has actually been to all the games to give an assessment, when the mention of what I have watched on the streams was mentioned it fell down, however there is a lot I  agree with with on there

God The Mechanic

Quote from: Arthur on August 25, 2014, 11:07:33 AM
I shall, however, rise to the defence of Ryan Williams. First, he did not feature at all at Ipswich. Secondly, I thought he did well on Saturday, particularly in the first-half when he displayed a willingness to receive the ball and injected a sense of purpose and urgency into our midfield.

By Ipswich I meant Derby, will change that :P

millsy

Good initial assessment and whilst I would argue with some of the team selections, 100% agree that this manager will not get the players behind him and pulling together as a team.

He is an aloof bully, who may force results from some in the short term, will not get real commitment and loyalty, both of which are vital to a team and were qualities which took us through our best ever tears, with a squad of non-superstars.

We have had our heart wrenched out since Roy left. How far, so quickly!

epsomraver

ScalleysDad

Interesting read in these times of angst and troubles. Just looking at the list of players and noting the ones missing there is no way we should be where we are or playing as we have been. There are at least three pitch leaders in that lot but we have no one actually doing it, there are potentially four potent goal scorers on that list who haven't scared a keeper between them and there are enough substitution options to play a high pressure game for 100 minutes. It is so, so sad it is all being trashed by blatant incompetence.

I note what is being said about time to gell and all that but with the changes being made game after game we are still at point zero. With the exclusion of Parker starting and probably Joronen in goal I doubt anybody could name what Saturdays team will be so that will be what eight games and no structure. As for Tuesday .... why risk the so called saviours. No.44 will get a 'welcome' and might become unavailable for a week or two. He is hardly firing anyway so give him a ball and a wall for the week.  I completely understand the rivalry but surely Brentford away has to be the journeyman, if we have enough of them. Chest pumping aside the young guns are being systematically broken down as it is and a kick in at Brentford is pointless with the other problems we have.  

Somewhere at the back of my brain I would like to think Ruiz is in fact on fine form and is being saved for the less physical games. Damn!

God The Mechanic

Quote from: love4ffc on August 25, 2014, 03:51:17 AM
The ones I don't agree with are:

Joronen, I still like him and see no reason to replace him

Parker, I have always liked him.  I have liked him from his Liverfool days and Spurs.  I have always thought he was a good replacement for Murphy.  I still like him and think he has been rejuvenated by his surrounding youth players.  

With the team ahead of him Joronen is too big a risk to play regularly from what I've seen, if that changes and there's better structure ahead of him then he'll likely be fine.  That being said, it certainly wouldn't hurt to bring in someone with more experience to replace him anyway.

As for Parker, I'm not sure what he does, what he should do or what he would do best.  He doesn't have the discipline to sit, he certainly (imo) shouldn't be acting as an interim CB when we have the ball as suggested by FinFFC as I just don't think he has the skillset to do that job.  I just don't think he is what we need, but he's what we have and is one of the more experienced players sill will stick around and play.

@FinFFC as above, I disagree that Parker would be a good fit for a DCM/CB role, however it is one that could be implemented.  But we'd need to sign someone to play that role (or maybe use Hoogland there, but that should have been tested more in pre-season...), and it would HAVE to be at the expense of Parker not alongside.  Whether that would work both financially and with him being de facto captain I'm not sure, which is another reason why I think we're stuck with Parker for the long haul.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: epsomraver on August 25, 2014, 11:22:17 AM
Shame we cannot have someone who has actually been to all the games to give an assessment, when the mention of what I have watched on the streams was mentioned it fell down, however there is a lot I  agree with with on there

You miss things when you're at the games in the same way you miss things when you're not and only see it on TV or a stream.  Part of the reason for this post was to put forward what and how I've seen things, and get others to do the same.  You've said you agree with a lot of what I've put, what DON'T you agree with or feel needs more focus?

God The Mechanic

Quote from: ScalleysDad on August 25, 2014, 11:32:40 AM
Just looking at the list of players and noting the ones missing there is no way we should be where we are or playing as we have been. There are at least three pitch leaders in that lot but we have no one actually doing it, there are potentially four potent goal scorers on that list who haven't scared a keeper between them and there are enough substitution options to play a high pressure game for 100 minutes. It is so, so sad it is all being trashed by blatant incompetence.

That's the thing, we do have a good squad but we're using it so poorly.  IF, and it is a big if, the senior players who haven't played do stay then they have to be used.  Amorebieta, Ruiz and Mitroglou all bring mountains of experience and ability to the squad and should be a cause for some optimism.  But they have to be used, there's no point in having them and not using them once the window closes - I would and have argued that they could be being "rested" as part of transfer speculation and rumour and will stand by that as vaguely acceptable, even if not in the best interest of the club on the pitch.

GloucesterWhite

An excellent summary of events to date and player assessments.

I think HatterDon's comment about Dembele is right, and I think the reason is a player gets more time in the Prem whereas he will be pressured/kicked about in the more physical Championship.

Two things need to happen IMO: a change of manager is obvious, and a strengthening of the board. Either Mackintosh has to go or he needs help. At the moment he is in effect running the club on his own and can't cope. More directors needed to help him and to advise Khan.

GloucesterWhite

A good manager like Roy will put together a team that is better than its parts. Magath seems to have the opposite effect on players.

Stefano Okaka Chuka

I wholeheartedly disagree on our preseason. The main issue we faced was blending so many players together and letting them know what was expected from them in competitive games. Admittedly this summer was all change and so we decided to play mickey mouse teams everywhere in the universe, Austria, England, the US and Scotland.  It was all but promising.
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!