watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army

Started by bog, August 28, 2014, 01:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

A while back there was a posting asking about those who scored on their debuts for the club. I offered Graham Leggat, Jimmy Conway and Tosh Chamberlain. Later I recalled one and wondered if he was mentioned.....Alan Jones. He scored in the first minute against Bolton back in the 1960's and this was spotlighted on MOTD. A few years back I met Alan and what a nice man he is. He came through the yoof set up but did not score many more but not many have scored as promptly as that.

092.gif       

WhiteJC

if it had been me playing I'd have scored an own goal within the first minute!  :dft001:

OldBrownShoe

Bog, I remember seeing that goal at the Cottage. Didn't he move on to play for Dover?
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

jarv

Didn't George Best score, v. Wolves in his first game.? Mis-hit the ball off his shin.

Lighthouse

Quote from: jarv on August 28, 2014, 02:05:59 PM
Didn't George Best score, v. Wolves in his first game.? Mis-hit the ball off his shin.

Yes he did. A day that oddly sticks in my brain. I man walking his dog before the game in Bishops Park asked why the crowds were so big.  I said it was because George Best was making his debut. The bloke looked at me as if I was being sarcastic. Didn't EVERYBODY know that Best was making his debut. The days when not everybody knew everything.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

colcliff

I seem to remember that Rodney marsh scored the winner on his début versus  Aston Villa

Peabody

Louis Saha scored on his debut, twice. On the other hand, the great Harry Bayles took ages to score his first for us and certainly he was getting some stick. Fortunately, he won the boo boys around.

colcliff

Brendan Mullan 2 goals on his début in an Fa cup match against Sunderland
I think he only played one more game after that

Burt

Quote from: jarv on August 28, 2014, 02:05:59 PM

If memory serves me right I think it was against Bristol Rovers, Mr. Jarv? 

cmg

Allan Jones: He looked like a real find, but he rather quickly 'slid out of view' (c. J.Cocker). I had thought that he received one of those injuries which so often finished players' careers in those days. But, on consulting Martin Plumb's excellent Fulham Strikers, I find "...He was given a hard time by Johnny Haynes in the team and, disillusioned he quit league football at the end of that season." A bit of a mystery.

Rodney Marsh: That debut goal was a blinder from an impossible angle. I had thought that his failure to appear again that season was yet another insane Fulham selection decision (nothing new here, folks) but, again consulting the same fine book, I find that he broke a toe in training immediately after his debut.

Graham Leggat: Not only did he score on his debut, he continued with at least one in each of his next five games.

bog

OBS yes he did. He was manager of Dover for a while. He seemed a rather shy man so Johnny Haynes may have got to him. He did have a speech stutter as well. A very nice bloke. I had spoken to him on the phone in the late '80's before going to play Dover res about his time at the Cottage and when I met him he showed all his newspaper cuttings from the game. As I have said a very genuine man.

092.gif       

MasterHaynes

Wasn't it Malcolm McDonalds first game against Crystal Palace that ended out 7 game goal drought?

MasterHaynes

Quote from: colcliff on August 28, 2014, 04:02:58 PM
Brendan Mullan 2 goals on his début in an Fa cup match against Sunderland
I think he only played one more game after that
He topped the Combination league scorers that year with around 23, always puzzled why he wasn't played more at the time, especially after the cup game

MarryatsChild

Further to the Graham Legggat's remarkable first six games scoring feat ( what a transfer £16,000 value ), the first game was against Stoke 6-2, I think.
Did Maurice Cook not open his account in the same game after his transfer from Watford?

bog

Malcolm MacDonald's debut was as sub up at Sheff Utd, I know cos I was there. His second was at Oxford but in his third he ran riot against Crystal Palace and could have scored 4 but settled for one. I was mortified when he was sold.
Also saw Marsh's one v Villa. Another heart wrencher when he was sold!!!!

092.gif

bog

Meant to say that Mo Cook joined the previous season and did not score in his first game. I liked Mo. If that Berbatov had his honest graft what a player we would have seen.   

092.gif