watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Do we need a striker?- the counter attack case

Started by greek_coyw, August 30, 2014, 07:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greek_coyw

It seems to me that our players cannot counterattack properly (yet)
Every time they get the ball,they either take it to the corner,  pass it around while the defense gets prepared or the shoot prematurely
We have too many shots from outside the box and most of them are pretty random
I hope as the days pass they will cooperate better because they need to work on vertical passes, straight to the box.
mccormack tried a lot today, but our attack IMO was again weak

something_amusing

I was thinking this. For all the possession we have, we need a fox in the box type of striker to finish off moves

Craven Mad

Ross is great, but being played too wide. Cauley - whilst I like him - isn't (currently) putting away his chances; I think he'll get there, but just needs to start going for accuracy, not power. Dembele doesn't look ready. Taggart is an unknown quantity.

So, arguably, yes, we could do with someone with some quality.

However, I actually would rather we find a quality LW (so we can play Ross more centrally); maybe Kaca? But, short of that, I think Mitrog could be the player we need.

I'd rather we spent decent money on a right back, left wing, or central mid, before we splash out on another striker.

something_amusing

where is rodders anyway? has he even made the bench yet?

Berserker

Can somebody give me a definition of  'good at holding the ball up', I was trying to explain it to Mr B
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Berserker

Oh I mean in a footballing sense before any body gets rude
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

greek_coyw

Quote from: something_amusing on August 30, 2014, 07:31:03 PM
we need a fox in the box type of striker to finish off moves

This is 100% Mitroglou, this is his position
But my point is that let say that he will start to play, he is going to need passes in the box it self

Maybe mccormack and mitro can cooperate, whi knows
still with no finisher, we need the team to work on assists

something_amusing

Quote from: Berserker on August 30, 2014, 07:40:28 PM
Can somebody give me a definition of  'good at holding the ball up', I was trying to explain it to Mr B

I see holding up the ball as keeping the ball until other players are there to support. usually using body position to shield the ball from a defender and flicking on to an advancing player. Berbatov was very good at this. rubbish explanation but i know what i mean

Riverside

Quote from: something_amusing on August 30, 2014, 07:31:03 PM
I was thinking this. For all the possession we have, we need a fox in the box type of striker to finish off moves

Mito anyone ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil D

I didn't realise Mitroglou was 1.89m tall.  We really do need some height up front - someone able to knock balls down for McCormack.  The Club website also says he weighs 94kgs - that can't be the case.  Can it?

Humbled

playing the formation we did today I feel we need a striker that can hold the ball up whilst still having some pace.....
I would have liked to have seen Rodders giving more game time. the way we played today it would have been interesting seeing him in there.

cmg

Quote from: something_amusing on August 30, 2014, 07:47:53 PM
Quote from: Berserker on August 30, 2014, 07:40:28 PM
Can somebody give me a definition of  'good at holding the ball up', I was trying to explain it to Mr B

I see holding up the ball as keeping the ball until other players are there to support. usually using body position to shield the ball from a defender and flicking on to an advancing player. Berbatov was very good at this. rubbish explanation but i know what i mean

Pretty good explanation, I'd say.
Zamora, at his best, was excellent at this. Control the ball whacked up to you, then, usually with your back to goal, hold off the attempts by the oppo to dispossess you, until your players get into position to receive the ball from you. [Ideally you might then turn, sprint into a scoring position and put it away, but that would be in the luxury model. Which BZ was for a short space of time.]