watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dannyboi's verdict on magaths new signings- out of 10

Started by dannyboi-ffc, August 30, 2014, 10:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

One of mr magoo's biggest advantages for being able to pass the buck last year was that holtby tunnicliffe cole kvist and mitroglou weren't his signings. Fair enough but now there's no where to hide felix the cat! Dannyboi has been watching each week and nows the time to give his views out of 10. I dont like felix but today won a piece of me back so ill be honest and not biased in a negative way.......

Kiraly- 3. Hopefully I dont see enough of him to rate him, bettinelli has proved over the past two games he deserves a chance at number 1. Its a very odd signing and one that doesnt appear to have much logic behind it. I still think stockdale was sold too prematurely and wastefully if kiraly is the alternative. We could of done much better.

Hoogland- 8 Solid in midfield but quite a poor rb. A good signing overall and a shrewd one not many other managers could of picked up. Good pedigree and I welcome the habit of scoring goals.

Stafylidis- 7. Sensible decision to loan with option to buy, good for his age but far from the finished article. Hard to say at the moment whether hes worth signing but time will tell. As of now hes very consistent and id keep him but bit soon to commit to that.

Bodurov- 10. By far our best signing and my player of the year even though its just 5 games played. Could easily.play in the premier league and like hoogland, another shrewd coop out of no where.

Hutchinson- 6  Decent player and a good back up but not better than bodurov or burn. Has a lot to learn but is a good age. Decent addition.

Voser- 6. Seems decent at getting forward but very indecisive and needs to work on his crosses. From what ive seen at brentford and tonight id say a decent signing but not a brilliant one. We could of done better there with a bit more thought and scouting.

Fazlic- n/a

Fotheringham- 0. Nothing personal to mark but this is a judgement of.magath and im afraid this was a scary decision. The cv says it all and at that age it was a waste of a squad number.

Eisfeld- 3. I have not seen one attribute that makes a case for him to play. No wonder arsenal allowed him.to leave, not good enough. After the big deal arsenal fans made I was expecting someone close to davids standard but id say hes closer to fotheringham from what ive seen. Very underwhelmed by him so far, the most disappointing and has a lot to prove.

Chihi- 4. Hard to judge from one cameo but on a free I guess we cant complain. He did ok but looks very clumsy to me. Reminded me of shefki kuqi. Time will tell but hes not a starter, ill be extremely worried if thats magaths plans anyway.

Mcormack- 7. 11million or whatever it is without add ons is a lot of money. Brentford and today he was brilliant, needs to be more selfish though. Doesnt get in dangerous positions enough in ny opinion. Huge potential there to be our key man but he needs to improve which im sure he will.

Taggart- n/a

Overall Ill give felix 6 out of 10, we need two quality signings. A midfielder and a striker if hugo goes. Work to do in the next 2 days if were gonna have a successful window. Juries out overall but his signings so far have not been good enough for promotion. Hopefully his next couple change that

Might of missed someone out as ive done this off of my memory. Anyone agree/disagree?

Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

ChesterTheTabby

Pretty spot on - I think we may skip out on the striker seeing as that we just need Taggart to recover and we have depth.

Eisfeld - I am a HUGE fan of this guy and so I am openly biased. I think he will sway many a fan to adjust their views on him come the end of the season, but I definitely see why you would not rate him highly as of now.

Bodoruv - How he has not been nicked by someone else bigger than us yet, I have no clue. That man continues to impress me more and more every single game
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Denver Fulham

Reminder that our business doesn't have to be done by Monday. We can shop for loans after that, and maybe we can get a Premier League-level player who gets squeezed and needs minutes.

Generally agree with the assessments in the OP. Eisfeld is a little better than that. Fotheringham is a little worse than that. We badly need a CM with some danger to him, and a striker who's better than Woodrow, if we want to have any ideas about playoff/promotion this season.

K33NY

Quote from: Denver Fulham on August 31, 2014, 12:51:12 AM
Reminder that our business doesn't have to be done by Monday. We can shop for loans after that, and maybe we can get a Premier League-level player who gets squeezed and needs minutes.

Generally agree with the assessments in the OP. Eisfeld is a little better than that. Fotheringham is a little worse than that. We badly need a CM with some danger to him, and a striker who's better than Woodrow, if we want to have any ideas about playoff/promotion this season.

theres a limit on how many loans a club can take in.....

52.2.2 No Club may sign more than 4 loan Players (Standard, International, Emergency or Youth) from another Club (or club) in any Season. An additional Youth Loan Player may be added to this figure.

And allso, we can maybe by players who are far better than players who are being loaned out by a club. Its quality we need to get not any more youngsters or B rated players struggling for playtime.....

aaronmcguigan

Kenny, surely that rule only limits how many loans we take from one club, i think this loan was brought in after Watford signed a bucket load of players from Udinese.
But this doesnt limit the amount of loans we can do in a season as a whole, unlike the premier league where the limit was 2 from the premier league, Bent and  Holtby

K33NY

Quote from: aaronmcguigan on August 31, 2014, 02:58:51 AM
Kenny, surely that rule only limits how many loans we take from one club, i think this loan was brought in after Watford signed a bucket load of players from Udinese.
But this doesnt limit the amount of loans we can do in a season as a whole, unlike the premier league where the limit was 2 from the premier league, Bent and  Holtby

its Keeny (K33NY), not Kenny :P everyone calls me Kenny :P its Keeny, someone please get it righ!! ;)

Logicalman

Quote from: K33NY on August 31, 2014, 03:12:47 AM

its Keeny (K33NY), not Kenny :P everyone calls me Kenny :P its Keeny, someone please get it righ!! ;)

Thanks K33NY, or Keeny   :54:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

K33NY

Quote from: Logicalman on August 31, 2014, 03:14:24 AM
Quote from: K33NY on August 31, 2014, 03:12:47 AM

Thanks K33NY, or Keeny   :54:

:P was given that nickname when I was playing football active from early years, my coach didnt like shouting Kenneth, and he thought Kenny was so common so he made it Keeny ;) I have used ever since just using 33 instead online ;)

RaySmith

It seems unfair give Kiraly 3 when you've never seen him play for us? He can bring on our younger keepers, while still being able to play if needed.

Fothringham 0 seems completely unfair, when  he has done quite well from what I have seen and heard. Now you seem to be saying saying again that Felix is clueless, contradicting yourself when you praise him for his other signings.

He is obviously operating within budgetary constraints - but I think he has done well in bringing in solid Championship players  who he feels can fit into what he has in mind with Fulham, for very little -and who are now beginning to gel with our younger players, unlike Jol seeming to bring in available and affordable players randomly.....IMO.

But your assessments generally seem accurate.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: RaySmith on August 31, 2014, 06:47:02 AM
It seems unfair give Kiraly 3 when you've never seen him play for us? He can bring on our younger keepers, while still being able to play if needed.

Fothringham 0 seems completely unfair, when  he has done quite well from what I have seen and heard. Now you seem to be saying saying again that Felix is clueless, contradicting yourself when you praise him for his other signings.

He is obviously operating within budgetary constraints - but I think he has done well in bringing in solid Championship players  who he feels can fit into what he has in mind with Fulham, for very little -and who are now beginning to gel with our younger players, unlike Jol seeming to bring in available and affordable players randomly.....IMO.

But your assessments generally seem accurate.

Yesterday I praised felix for his team selection to make it clear to everyome im not after a witch hunt, I just werent happy with his management. I was proved right because that was by far our best performance and it also shows felix was a very slow starter, that side should of been the team from the very first game, it wasnt rocket science. Now I agree with a rebuild and time to gel providing I see that sort of line up every week.

On to your comments about contradictimg myself...... my ratings are not necessarily about the players ability, more about the decision. Releasing stockdale so early and playing a kid only to eventually replace stek and stocko with kiraly is very poor. Chances are hes only gonna be back up and even still I believe there were a lot of better options out there  Fotheringham hasnt been good, he is nowhere near good enough. Based on his ability I might give him a 2 just for being able.to kick a ball but based on the decision its a definite 0. Just look at his cv.

I dont see how im contradicting myself by criticising some signings but fully praising the additions of bodurov, hoogland etc. If anything that is a fair assessment and ill be amazed if anyone else thinks im contradicting.  An overall rating for felix of 6 out of 10 isnt unreasonable considering weve taken 1 point from 15. I used n/a for a couple because ive never seen them play and have no idea what their like so I thought it was unfair to judge.

I tried to be honest and fair

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

colinwhite

Good summary danyiboi !  I think I ´m like you in that we can't deny the way the team fought yesterday .Even Roys teams didn't work that hard .
But for me there are 2 other factors that must be in included in your  6/10 for Felix.
1 Parkers rejuvination . He was superb yesterday in a more forward  position and both piroettless and direct
2. Its one thing to have talented young players but he has played them . Hyndman`s  performance yesterday may just be down to felix leaving him out of the squad for 2 games ( when he was playing well and to our amazement). He has matched all of them reasonably well with the exception of Kavanagh ( who in my view got completely exposed )
Ok he chopped and changed but now all those young players in his squad know they could be back in any time . Not "crazy " psychology if you want every drop of sweat from your players .
A word too about Burn ,  his exclusion also brought  the best out in him , yesterday was his best game for the club .
So now felix has blooded nearly all of his squad , they are all onboard and if he starts picking a more settled side I think we can shoot up the table . Yesterday was so refreshing to see , we haven't played that well for three seasons , and we did it with a team gelling and full of teenagers .

alfie

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on August 30, 2014, 10:39:57 PM
One of mr magoo's biggest advantages for being able to pass the buck last year was that holtby tunnicliffe cole kvist and mitroglou weren't his signings. Fair enough but now there's no where to hide felix the cat! Dannyboi has been watching each week and nows the time to give his views out of 10. I dont like felix but today won a piece of me back so ill be honest and not biased in a negative way.......

Kiraly- 3. Hopefully I dont see enough of him to rate him, bettinelli has proved over the past two games he deserves a chance at number 1. Its a very odd signing and one that doesnt appear to have much logic behind it. I still think stockdale was sold too prematurely and wastefully if kiraly is the alternative. We could of done much better.

Hoogland- 8 Solid in midfield but quite a poor rb. A good signing overall and a shrewd one not many other managers could of picked up. Good pedigree and I welcome the habit of scoring goals.

Stafylidis- 7. Sensible decision to loan with option to buy, good for his age but far from the finished article. Hard to say at the moment whether hes worth signing but time will tell. As of now hes very consistent and id keep him but bit soon to commit to that.

Bodurov- 10. By far our best signing and my player of the year even though its just 5 games played. Could easily.play in the premier league and like hoogland, another shrewd coop out of no where.

Hutchinson- 6  Decent player and a good back up but not better than bodurov or burn. Has a lot to learn but is a good age. Decent addition.

Voser- 6. Seems decent at getting forward but very indecisive and needs to work on his crosses. From what ive seen at brentford and tonight id say a decent signing but not a brilliant one. We could of done better there with a bit more thought and scouting.

Fazlic- n/a

Fotheringham- 0. Nothing personal to mark but this is a judgement of.magath and im afraid this was a scary decision. The cv says it all and at that age it was a waste of a squad number.

Eisfeld- 3. I have not seen one attribute that makes a case for him to play. No wonder arsenal allowed him.to leave, not good enough. After the big deal arsenal fans made I was expecting someone close to davids standard but id say hes closer to fotheringham from what ive seen. Very underwhelmed by him so far, the most disappointing and has a lot to prove.

Chihi- 4. Hard to judge from one cameo but on a free I guess we cant complain. He did ok but looks very clumsy to me. Reminded me of shefki kuqi. Time will tell but hes not a starter, ill be extremely worried if thats magaths plans anyway.

Mcormack- 7. 11million or whatever it is without add ons is a lot of money. Brentford and today he was brilliant, needs to be more selfish though. Doesnt get in dangerous positions enough in ny opinion. Huge potential there to be our key man but he needs to improve which im sure he will.

Taggart- n/a

Overall Ill give felix 6 out of 10, we need two quality signings. A midfielder and a striker if hugo goes. Work to do in the next 2 days if were gonna have a successful window. Juries out overall but his signings so far have not been good enough for promotion. Hopefully his next couple change that

Might of missed someone out as ive done this off of my memory. Anyone agree/disagree?

I think I would agree with that assessment, but FM did say that Kiraly was here primarily to aid the development of the young keepers, but would be considered if necessary.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: alfie on August 31, 2014, 09:38:09 AM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on August 30, 2014, 10:39:57 PM

Hutchinson- 6  Decent player and a good back up but not better than bodurov or burn. Has a lot to learn but is a good age. Decent addition.

Fazlic- n/a

Taggart- n/a

I think I would agree with that assessment, but FM did say that Kiraly was here primarily to aid the development of the young keepers, but would be considered if necessary.

Thats fair enough but even for a role like that is he the right man? He was known as a clown, not terrible but certainly not a brilliant goalie. Id class him as a very poor mans barthez.

There are many keepers his age who would happily spend a season on the bench as a tutor to bettinelli that were better than kiraly. Someone like friedel could of done that and bettenelli would of benefited more. Still seems an odd choice, bargain basement probably because of wages

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

FPT

I generally agree, although feel you've been harsh on Kiraly, Eisfeld, Voser and Chihi.

I think we've had this conversation before but Brad Freidel is more than happy where he is, he's signed a new one year deal, very clearly third choice goalkeeper but also has an US ambassadorial role at Spurs, so he's getting a lot done.

If we had brought in Kiraly to be our number one, I would be disappointed; however, it's quite clear to me that he was brought in to aid the development of Joronen and Bettinelli, plus there's the German connection with Felix Magath knowing his ability. You're right, we probably could have gone and got a better goalkeeper, but let's not be harsh on Kiraly, he's a capable asset and very experienced at a high level; I think he'll do very well for our two goalkeepers.

You do mention it to be fair, but it is a bit harsh to rate Adil Chihi on 30 minutes. I think I'll wait a while to give him a proper judgement, perhaps unfit, I'm sure Felix will change that pretty soon.

Again with Eisfeld, I think you have been harsh; against Ipswich he came on and was outstanding, creating space, finding space and creating chances. Yes, he's not as good as this stage as Chris David, but I've seen enough glimpses of quality to suggest that's a good talent.

Just a quick note on Voser, I think he'll keep on improving, looks comfortable defensively and that's a quality with sorely missed from full backs last year. His offensive game could do with improving, but that could just come with more games; all in all, I quite like the look of Hoogland and Parker in midfield, and I'm pretty comfortable with seeing Voser at the full back position.

*And another note, Stafylidis was impressive in pre-season but his crossing has been woeful since the season started; in the 5 league games, Stafylidis has attempted 36 crosses... Only 5 have been accurate. This probably is partly down to us having a lack of an aerial threat, but his actual delivery (on the majority) has been poor, and that isn't talking about his corners! I'd like to see his delivery improve.

hovewhite

Colnwhite,spot on about the quality v cardiff the best for 3 seasons,fulham lost the plot when dembele and dempsey went to spurs and add to that murphy going to blackburn.
The rot set in that transfer window,we all knew we never replaced them and here we are.

dannyboi-ffc

Ok so a slight alteration to my overall rating of magaths transfers. Smith is a good addition, just 500k and 25 is a good age. He knows the division and has done quite well in it, unlike a few of magaths signings there seems to be some logic to this one. Ive heard smith and mcormack had a great partnership last season and it can only benefit us to build on that. Most importantly with this addition is magath has actually identified a position and type of player we needed rather than blindly signing fancy names. I still for the life of me dont see how jol thought taarabt ruiz and berbatov would work together so well done felix for that.

Smith-8.

Cassasola-n/a. Forgot to mention him before, dont know anything about him but I hear many exciting things about him. One for the future id imagine.

We also managed to keep ruiz and to a lesser extent amore and hugo. Keeping those 3 makes us stronger and takes away some of the burden of what we needed to bring in. So thats another positive.

We still have the loan window so I wont be overly critical yet but im very disappointed not to bring in a quality midfielder and a decent winger. We might get a decent winger in the loan market but I doubt the midfielder we need is out there now. Time will tell but at this moment in time im afraid that failing has to be included in my overall rating.

Weighing up the pros and cons not much has changed to my overall assessment. Ill go up to 6.5 rather than 6. I base my rating on the basis that I assumed khan/felix intended to go back up first time. Magaths signings are very underwhelming in that respect and khan should probably take a lot of blame for lack of commitment after promising the world to us. Coincidence this was promised when season tickets needed to be renewed?

Magath- 6.5 for now.
Khan- 3 until january but then it mght be too late. Venkys anyone? This guy doesnt have a clue or seem interested and thats nothing to do with felix. Its just my feeling in general. Bring back al fayed all day long.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

alfie

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on September 02, 2014, 08:43:18 AM
Ok so a slight alteration to my overall rating of magaths transfers. Smith is a good addition, just 500k and 25 is a good age. He knows the division and has done quite well in it, unlike a few of magaths signings there seems to be some logic to this one. Ive heard smith and mcormack had a great partnership last season and it can only benefit us to build on that. Most importantly with this addition is magath has actually identified a position and type of player we needed rather than blindly signing fancy names. I still for the life of me dont see how jol thought taarabt ruiz and berbatov would work together so well done felix for that.

Smith-8.

Cassasola-n/a. Forgot to mention him before, dont know anything about him but I hear many exciting things about him. One for the future id imagine.

We also managed to keep ruiz and to a lesser extent amore and hugo. Keeping those 3 makes us stronger and takes away some of the burden of what we needed to bring in. So thats another positive.

We still have the loan window so I wont be overly critical yet but im very disappointed not to bring in a quality midfielder and a decent winger. We might get a decent winger in the loan market but I doubt the midfielder we need is out there now. Time will tell but at this moment in time im afraid that failing has to be included in my overall rating.

Weighing up the pros and cons not much has changed to my overall assessment. Ill go up to 6.5 rather than 6. I base my rating on the basis that I assumed khan/felix intended to go back up first time. Magaths signings are very underwhelming in that respect and khan should probably take a lot of blame for lack of commitment after promising the world to us. Coincidence this was promised when season tickets needed to be renewed?

Magath- 6.5 for now.
Khan- 3 until january but then it mght be too late. Venkys anyone? This guy doesnt have a clue or seem interested and thats nothing to do with felix. Its just my feeling in general. Bring back al fayed all day long.

The trouble is it was Al Fayed who sold us to him.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't