https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff (10/09/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 09, 2014, 07:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Five reasons why Fulham have a bright future

James Robinson selects the youngsters to watch at Craven Cottage

Bright future: Moussa Dembele and Patrick Roberts have forced their way into the first-team frame
Fulham may be languishing near the bottom of the Championship, but fans can be optimistic about their future due to the strength of the Cottagers' youth system.

The Whites have won the Barclays U18 Premier League title for the past three seasons, while Cauley Woodrow, Patrick Roberts, Moussa Dembélé, Lasse Vigen Christensen, Josh Passley, Ange-Freddy Plumain, Dan Burn and Muamer Tankovic all featured for the first team last season.

Huw Jennings, Malcolm Elias and Kit Symons have reaped the rewards of their hard work in recruiting and coaching the club's youngsters, and should be lauded for changing Fulham's fortunes at academy level.

Here James Robinson profiles five youngsters set to make a major impression next season.

1) Patrick Roberts: 17, England (Forward)

Hope for the future: Pat Roberts (R) skips past Wolves' Richard Stearman
At just seventeen, Kingston-upon-Thames born Roberts is arguably the brightest prospect to graduate from Fulham's academy.

Capable of playing on either flank, or behind the striker, Roberts possesses the pace, dribbling ability and creativity to be a threat at the very highest level.

He played a starring role in England's victorious European U17 Championships in the summer, with four assists and three goals.

Comparisons with other players are negligible at such a young age, but there is more than a little touch of Lionel Messi in the way Roberts plays, especially the way the ball sticks to his left foot during mazy dribbles.

He made his debut under Felix Magath against Manchester City last season, and has continued to feature heavily in the first-team this season, earning a call-up to the England U19 squad.

Magath will be wary about leaning on the youngster too heavily, having seen him struggle physically at times, however his flashes of genius have excited supporters despite Fulham's poor start to the season.

2) Emerson Hyndman: 18, USA (Midfielder)

American ace: Emerson Hyndman scores against Chelsea in last season's FA Youth Cup final
The Texan moved from FC Dallas to Fulham as a youngster and hasn't looked back since.

Neat and tidy on the ball, with the ability to control the tempo of the game, Hyndman featured heavily in pre-season.

After being handed the number 28 shirt for Fulham's up-and-coming campaign, as well as being rewarded for his form with the club's youth sides with a contract extension to 2016, Hyndman has quickly become a main part of Felix Magath's side.

Hyndman gained his first cap for USA against the Czech Republic in the last round of international fixtures, so his manager's prediction that he will feature in the next World Cup seems realistic.

Magath is synonymous with promoting talented youngsters to stardom, having worked with the likes of Kevin Kuranyi and Timo Hildebrand whilst at Stuttgart, so Hyndman has every chance of succeeding as long as he gets his head down and continues to apply himself.

3) George Williams 18, Wales (Winger)

Welsh wonder: George Williams was given his debut against Millwall last month
The winger's rise in the professional game has been quite remarkable.

After scoring for MK Dons as a 16-year-old, Fulham snapped him up in 2012, and was handed his senior debut in the 1-0 defeat against Millwall last month.

Williams has already made his bow for Wales, replacing Gareth Bale after the Real Madrid forward pulled out with injury against the Netherlands.

The 18-year-old's main attribute is pace, although, similarly to Patrick Roberts, he has composure and maturity in the final third that belies his age.

4) Moussa Dembélé, 18, France (Striker)

An out-and-out striker, Dembélé took the brave decision to leave Paris Saint-Germain's famed youth academy for Craven Cottage in 2013.

His ambition for first-team football was rewarded when Magath called the Frenchman up to the squad to play Swansea, before handing him his Premier League debut against West Ham.

Even as an 18-year-old, Dembélé held his own despite the physical nature of English football.

Martin Goldthorpe/Fulham FC
One to watch: Moussa Dembele made his first-team debut against West Ham last season

He finished last season with 23 goals in just 17 league and cup appearances at U18 level, where his pace and power was too much for the opposition.

A hat-trick in pre-season against FC Dallas was further evidence of his striking prowess, and whilst he is yet to hit the back of the net this campaign, Dembélé will benefit from the aerial ability of new signing Matt Smith.

5) Liam Donnelly, 18, Northern Ireland (Centre-back)

Another of the crop of Fulham youngsters to appear for his country before debuting at club level, Donnelly made his international bow for Northern Ireland against Chile in June.

A powerful and vocal defender, Donnelly captained Fulham at U18 level, so his leadership should endear him to Magath.

Unlike fellow young centre-back Cameron Burgess, Donnelly is yet to be handed a first-team squad number, so a loan spell could be his immediate future.

And with Fulham bringing in a number of defenders in the close season, the youngster may have to bide his time at Craven Cottage.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/five-reasons-fulham-bright-future-7741261?

WhiteJC

Mike Ashley left red faced after his Sports Direct company sells Newcastle bags... with Fulham branded zippers
Mike Ashley's Sports Direct sells Newcastle bags with Fulham zips
Young Toon supporters refused to take their new bags to school
Newcastle face Southampton when Premier League returns on Sept 13

Mike Ashley was left red-faced after Newcastle bags sold by his Sports Direct company came attached with 'Fulham' branded zip fasteners.

The £9 rucksacks feature Newcastle's name and badge across the back but closer inspection reveals the name of their former Premier League rivals on tags attached to the zippers.

According to The Sun, two young Toon fans were so disappointed by the manufacturing mess up that they refused to take their new bags to school.

Spot the mistake: Sports Direct Newcastle rucksacks came attached with Fulham zippers

'Is it a fake?': Two young Toon fans - Jamie Lumsley and TJ Toner - wouldn't take their new bags to school

Speaking of her son's - Jamie Lumsley and TJ Toner - reaction, Mother Stacey Boone said: 'They just turned around to me and said, ''Is this a fake?''

'I said ''No, I got them from Sports Direct.''

Boone was told she could not return the bags to her nearest store but must send them back by post - before the company apologised for the mistake and offered replacements.

It's not the first time that Toon owner Ashley's company has made a faux pas after £39.99 Glasgow Rangers training macs went on sale on the Magpies' online shop.

Newcastle face Southampton when the Premier League returns from the international break on September 13.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2749188/Mike-Ashley-left-red-faced-Sports-Direct-company-sells-Newcastle-bags-Fulham-branded-zippers.html#ixzz3CqV4dYEy
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Hull Defender Linked to Fulham

The loan window opens shortly and it is expected that we will see a few comings and goings at Craven Cottage.

This morning the inference, from several channels, is that Fulham could be looking to bring in a defender.

Up at the KC Stadium, Hull, circumstances have contrived whereby the promising young Hull defender Harry Maguire is finding first team action hard to come by, a fact noticed by a whole raft of clubs wishing to take the 21 year-old on loan.

Amongst those said to be interested, as well as Fulham; are:-

• Reading
• Blackburn Rovers
• Bolton Wanderers
• Wolverhampton Wanderers
• Middlesbrough

The lad appears to have quite a choice!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=369980#ixzz3CqVKkU9E

WhiteJC

Ex-Premier League defender Zat Knight waiting on paperwork process

The man who once played alongside Dempsey, McBride and Bocanegra enjoys first Rapids session

Former England, Aston Villa, Fulham and Bolton Wanderers defender, Zat Knight, took part in his first training session with the Colorado Rapids on Monday.

The 6'6" Knight arrived in Colorado last Thursday. Paperwork needs to be processed, before the club is in a position to sign the player, though he certainly has his sights set on making an impact.

"For the back end of the season, my personal goal is just to try and play as many games as possible and leave the team in a better position than they are now," he said. "It would be nice to get into a playoff position. I'm trying to take one step at a time first."

Knight was captain of Bolton, before being released at the end of last season, having spent five years with the club and made 191 appearances. He also played in the same Fulham team as Carlos Bocanegra, Brian McBride and Clint Dempsey.

"I heard a lot about MLS," he added. "I've got a few friends that are in the league, and played with a few boys in England that are from America.

"They say it's a lot different, travel wise and you're always playing, playing, playing. It's a new adventure for myself, I've never played abroad so I'm looking forward to a different style of football."

Knight is adjusting to the altitude, which he had been warned of before arriving, and certainly enjoyed his first session with the Rapids.

"It was good. It was different. I know it was a bit light because they just had a game on the weekend. But it was good for me. I haven't trained with players for a while so it was good to get back into the mix of things. Hopefully as the training sessions build up I get a bit sharper myself."

http://www.coloradorapids.com/news/2014/09/ex-premier-league-defender-zat-knight-waiting-paperwork-process?

WhiteJC

Be In The Team Photo!

Want to be part of Fulham Football Club history? Then make sure you purchase your Blackburn Rovers ticket before 5pm on Friday 12th September.

Two supporters who secure their seats for our meeting with Rovers at the Cottage before the deadline will be picked at random to be in our Official 2014/15 First Team Squad Photo!

The winners of this money-can't-buy prize will be presented with the full Home kit and get ready in the Craven Cottage changing rooms with the rest of the team, before making their way out onto the hallowed turf by the Thames.

Then it's time for the photoshoot!

And this isn't any old informal photoshoot; it's the Official First Team Squad Photo which will be on merchandise, posters, in magazines, around the stadium, and anywhere else you'd expect to see it!

So, to be in with a chance of winning this once in a lifetime opportunity, book your seat for Blackburn Rovers before 5pm this Friday!

Tickets for the match are on sale now, priced from just £10 for juniors and £25 adults. Buy your tickets online today, by phone on 0843 208 1234 (opt. 1) or in person from the Fulham Ticket Office.

Buy Online
Season Ticket Holders and supporters who have already purchased a ticket are automatically put into the draw to win this prize.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/09/be-in-the-team-photo?

WhiteJC

Stats: Leeds United's Billy Sharp v Fulham's Ross McCormack so far this season

A look at how Leeds' newest face compares to their expensively departed striker.

Fulham bought Ross McCormack for a staggering £11 million this summer, with Leeds signing Billy Sharp as a replacement for a fee officially undisclosed, but reported to be around one tenth of the price.

So far this season it has not been a positive start for McCormack, but Sharp has not lit up the goal charts either.

Did Fulham buy a dud? Have Leeds signed the right man? Those questions will be answered over the course of the campaign, but what we can assess factually is the impact made by each so far this season.

Here is a look at how Sharp and McCormack's Championship displays in 2014/15 to date compare:

Team   Apps   Goals   Shots   Assists   Pass Completion   Tackles   Dribbles   Bookings
Ross McCormack   Fulham   5   0   10   1   80.4%   4   2   1
Billy Sharp   Leeds   4   1   5   1   68.4%   4   3   1

Clearly it is early days, but initial signs should make Leeds fans confident they have pocketed a vastly over-inflated sum for the Scottish forward.

Sharp has more goals despite taking half the number of shots, with both players creating a single strike themselves.

Remarkably however the bookies make McCormack twice as likely to land up as the Championship's Golden Boot winner. SkyBet have the Fulham star listed as 20/1 to finish top scorer despite his slow start, while Sharp sits at 40/1.

If you are after a value long-shot bet, then initial signs show show Sharp has as good a chance if not better than the man he is replacing, who can't seem to buy a goal at the moment.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/09/09/stats-leeds-uniteds-billy-sharp-v-fulhams-ross-mccormack-so-far/?

WhiteJC

Reluctant Ruiz Will Fulfil His Fulham Obligations

Bryan Ruiz admits he thought he would leave Fulham in the summer, but has now vowed to see out his contract in the English capital.

The Costa Rica striker has been at Craven Cottage since the summer of 2011, when he joined following a successful spell in Holland where he helped Steve McClaren's FC Twente win the Eredivisie title. But despite the occasional glimpse of his undoubted talent, he has failed to find his best form whilst playing his trade in London.

Ruiz spent the second half of last season on loan at PSV Eindhoven, scoring five goals in 14 league appearances whilst his parent club lost their Premier League status. And with the likes of Ajax, Olympiakos and Werder Bremen all showing an interest in signing him, it looked as though he would move on ahead of the current season.

However, when the window slammed shut at 11pm on 1 September, the 29-year-old remained part of Felix Magath's squad. But whilst he admits this is disappointing as he was fully expecting to leave the club in the summer, the forward now insists he will stay at Fulham and leave when his contract expires next year.

"It's been a tough month because there were some transfer options, but at the end there was no agreement between the teams and Fulham," he told his official website. "It is a bit hard because I felt like my time there was up, and I was looking forward to a new challenge, but it didn't happen. I still have a contract with Fulham, so I have to fulfil it."

Fulham have made a lousy start to life in the Championship, losing four and drawing one of their opening five fixtures. Ruiz has yet to play for the team this season, but he has vowed to pitch in and help his team-mates. He added: "Now it's my turn to help the team as much as I can. They have had a tough start after five matches they haven't been able to win. Well, it's a hard tournament, I'll try to provide experience and enthusiasm."

http://takefootball.com/reluctant-ruiz-will-fulfil-his-fulham-obligations/?