more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (12/09/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 11, 2014, 07:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Burn Raring To Go

Dan Burn wants Fulham to pick up where they left off prior to the international break when they face Reading at the weekend.

The Whites enjoyed their most prosperous week of the season so far when an away win in the cup against Brentford was followed up by a first point against Cardiff City.

There were plenty of positives to take from that 1-1 draw at Craven Cottage, and Burn admitted that confidence has been boosted following our two most recent outings.

"It's picked up a lot," he told fulhamfc.com. "Obviously it was really down after the first few games of the season but I think that Brentford game has helped a load.

"We're disappointed that we couldn't get more out of the Cardiff game but it's a point so we'll move onto Saturday now.

"The break for internationals didn't come at a great time for us because you want to keep the momentum going. If you're getting good results you don't really want them to stop so the international break has killed it a little bit, but we've had a good two weeks training. The lads are back from internationals now and we're raring to go on Saturday."

The Royals have enjoyed a decent enough start to the new campaign with two wins and a draw already under their belt, and Burn is anticipating a stern test of his side's credentials at the Madejski Stadium.

"I played them last season when I was at Birmingham City and they've got some very good players," he stated. "Obviously Pavel Pogrebnyak's there so it will be good to see him again, and Stephen Kelly's still there, too.

"I think they're similar to us in that they're trying to bring a few young lads through and it's taking them time to gel, so it will be a tough game but we're confident we can pick up a result. Reading and Nottingham Forest are massive games for us."

Former Whites hitman Pogrebnyak will be competing for a starting berth alongside deadline day signing Glenn Murray.

The on-loan forward hit 30 goals for Crystal Palace during his last season in the Championship, and Burn is relishing the challenge regardless of who he ends up marking.

"It is a good test," he said. "I always want to play against bigger strikers because they can't really run! Little strikers, on the other hand, are quite nippy.

"Whoever plays on Saturday is going to be well up for it. Pogrebnyak was a great striker when he was here and he can score goals, so it will be a tough test but it's good experience."

The Capital One Cup triumph at Brentford saw Burn named in a Fulham starting XI for the first time since that fateful day at the Britannia Stadium in early May.

He went on to put in a gargantuan display at the heart of defence as the Whites kept a first clean sheet of the season, and he even finished the game as Captain following Scott Parker's substitution.

It was a match he knew he needed to deliver in.

Burn explained: "You get those moments – there are different moments in a player's career – where you know you've got to take the chance because you're not going to get another one.

"As soon as I found out I was playing I was just so determined. I had Marcus Bettinelli behind me which is always good, and I thought me and Hutchy [Shaun Hutchinson] put up a good partnership there as well, so it couldn't have gone much better to be honest.

"It had been a very frustrating period prior to that. At the end of the day, if you're a footballer you want to play football first and foremost. I was given my chance and luckily I took it and we got the win.

"It was good to start the last two games – it's been tough not playing but that's football. But now I'm back in the team, or back playing the last two games anyway, hopefully if I'm involved on Saturday then we can try and kick on."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/11/burn-raring-to-go?

WhiteJC

Fulham's King Kev puts one over Royals

Rewind: April 5, 1999: League Division Two, Reading 0-1 Fulham

Fulham forces: Al Fayed (L) and Keegan
This was a weird time for Fulham.

Coasting at the top of the table and destined to finish first by 14 points, their manager had thrown his hat part-time into England's ring and was doing two jobs by the time Whites visited the Madejski for the first time.

A most wanted man was Kevin Keegan.

The former Liverpool and Newcastle legend was asked to take the England job on a part-time basis in February after Glenn Hoddle's infamous quotes about the handicapped appeared in The Times and demanded his fall from grace.

Morgan the mighty: Fulham's scorer against Reading
Banners at Craven Cottage implored: 'Don't Go Kev' and it seemed for a while he wouldn't, although Keegan at Fulham in the first place was pretty surreal.

At the start of the previous campaign, manager Micky Adams' eyes popped when told by new owner Mohamed Al Fayed he would have a chunk of £35 million to spend - I can still see the stunned look on Mick's face at the press launch. The week before, the embattled Adams couldn't raise £15,000 to buy a Hartlepool centre back.

But Al Fayed wanted a bit more glamour than Adams had to offer, and the 'dream team' of Keegan as 'chief operating officer' whatever that was, Ray Wilkins as head coach, and Arthur Cox as chief scout was more in line with the Harrods millionaire's ambitions.

But it ended in tears.

Play-off defeat at Grimsby; there's a place from which to return when your 'dream team' turns into a nightmare, and the sacking of Wilkins paved the way for a handsome season to follow.

Man U moment: Barry Hayles finds himself crowded out by Jaap Stam and Nicky Butt
By Easter Monday in Royal Berks the heirs apparent had beaten Premier League Aston Villa at Villa Park in the FA Cup, and ran Manchester United close losing only 1-0 in the fifth round at Old Trafford.

One of the Villa scorers, Simon Morgan, was to convert the game's only goal from a corner deep into the second half of a regulation win on a 'poor pitch for a great new ground' (Keegan).

It was especially pleasing for club legend Morgan who had survived the lean years, and would end up with a League One medal by May.

He was surrounded by tasty squad attracted by Al Fayed's wages and Keegan's charisma as they caned lesser lights in a bizarre league.

Stoke, Manchester City, Macclesfield and Lincoln rubbed shoulders with Wrexham, Burnley, Bristol Rovers, Reading and Fulham.

However, when it came to the crunch, Keegan couldn't resist the lure of managing his country full-time.

Two days before he announced on TV he was quitting Fulham at the end of the season, I called the manager: "Please don't ask me about England, Paul," Keegan said.

I didn't need to. It was clear Keegan was about to shut the Cottage door for good.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-king-kev-puts-one-7743808?

WhiteJC

Fulham tickets: Biggest crowd so far

Royals return to action

Reading vs Fulham
Saturday 13th September, 3pm
Sky Bet Championship
Madejski Stadium

A good crowd is expected for this Saturday's clash with Fulham at Madejski Stadium, as the end of the international break signals the return of Championship action.

An attendance above 17,500 is predicted - which would be more than Reading's three previous home fixtures this season, making it the biggest home crowd of the campaign so far.

With around 2,700 travelling Cottagers fans, a vibrant atmosphere is anticipated - whilst Glenn Murray could also make his Reading debut.

To buy now book online at www.readingfcdirect.co.uk, come down in person or call 0118 968 1313.

Read more at http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/reading-v-fulham-ticket-sales-110914-1907423.aspx#weZbVzk6mcYPwZSt.99

WhiteJC

Ex-Wales and Spurs star Simon Davies joins village side

Simon Davies in a Solva shirt - and during his time at Fulham

A former Wales football star who once played for Spurs and Everton has agreed to go back to his roots to play for a village team - and will pay for the privilege.

Simon Davies, 34, could once command £30,000 a week but will now have to pay £3 "subs" like any other player at Solva FC in Pembrokeshire.

Davies has agreed to turn out for the club when he returns to visit family.

The midfielder won 58 caps for Wales.

Davies, who also played for Fulham and Peterborough in a 15-year career, first turned out for the Pembrokeshire League Division Two side in a friendly last summer.

He started as a junior with Solva AFC before reaching the heights of more than 200 Premier League appearances.

"I'm looking forward to playing a few games with my brother and the friends I started playing with all those years ago," he said.

Younger brother Chris, who is captain and goalkeeper, said there was no match pencilled in for his debut.

"When he comes back to visit family he'll play. He lives in London so it's a long way back but he'll turn out when he's next on a visit."

Soon he could be facing United and Villa, but the Milford and Prendergast varieties.

Tracey Cole, club secretary at Solva AFC, said: "I've already told him I'm not paying him - he's going to have to pay subs like everyone else.

"He seems keen and hopefully he'll be available for a few matches."

Solva AFC are currently second in their division and will be looking to extend their unbeaten run against St Clears on Saturday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-29155565?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Felix Magath still eyeing Championship promotion despite poor start

FULHAM manager Felix Magath insists the Cottagers remain in the Championship promotion hunt despite a poor start to the season.

Magath's men are expected to be in the promotion mix but they are currently 23rd in the Championship table having lost four of their first five games.

However, a confident Capital One Cup victory away at local rivals Brentford and a point in the last league game before the international break against Cardiff has raised hopes among Fulham fans that the much changed squad are starting to gel.

Those positive signs have driven the German manager's belief that it is too early to rule out promotion back to the Premier League.

He said: "It does not sound good if you have four defeats and talk about promotion but we have played five games which is less than 10 per cent of season so there is a long way to go.

"There will be a lot of points we can make up and in the history of the Championship there have been some promoted teams that did not start so well.

"I think they started like us and in the end were promoted so I think it's still possible but at the moment that's not what we have to talk about.

"I see good signs from the transfer window and I think we are on the way up."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/509620/Fulham-boss-Felix-Magath-still-eyeing-Championship-promotion-despite-poor-start

WhiteJC

Fulham FC joins Man United FTBpro in Sept updates

The official Fulham Football Club news Android app recently received a major update, although in September it just had its version number bumped to 4.1 along with some fixes for select problems. Another app also receiving an update this month is FTBpro Manchester United Edition, and the latest what's new section details the ability to take control of notification settings and customise the Man Utd news just how you want to receive it.

Fulham Football Club Sept update – While the Fulham FC major Android update released earlier brought a design overhaul, extended highlights, championship stadiums in the Explore section, and U18/U21 league tables with match results, the v4.1 update released this month lacks the finer details about what exactly got fixed. Take a look in more detail on Google play, or if you use this application then share a comment below if you've noticed any major changes since v4.1?

http://www.product-reviews.net/2014/09/11/fulham-fc-joins-man-united-ftbpro-in-sept-updates/?

WhiteJC

Former Leeds striker Matt Smith has solved a problem for Fulham, claims Felix Magath

MATT SMITH'S height and strength offers Fulham "another option" in attack, according to boss Felix Magath.

Target man Smith was a late transfer deadline day arrival at the club despite the fact he had signed a new three-year deal with Leeds just two weeks before his switch to Craven Cottage.

Fulham lack height in attack and Magath believes that is one of the reasons why his side have found the net just three times in their opening five games.

The former Bayern Munich manager said:  "From the beginning I was searching for a tall, very good header of the ball because we are team without tall players.

"In pre season we asked for two players but they were not signed so we were searching for such a player.

"Matt Smith is a very strong guy, he is very tall so he is very good in air and that is what we missed until today.

"That was a problem in our games at the start of the season as when we conceded a goal after 20/30 minutes we didn't have the option to play high balls to make pressure but now I think we have another option.

"We can put pressure on the opponent and with his strengths we can come over the sides and we can search for him with crosses as he is a very strong target in the middle.

"With his strength he will help the players beside him find space."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/509645/Former-Leeds-striker-Matt-Smith-has-solved-a-problem-for-Fulham-claims-Felix-Magath

WhiteJC

Matt Smith in line for Fulham debut against Reading

New signing set to be handed first start for clash at Madejski

Matt Smith is set to be handed his Fulham debut in Saturday's clash against Reading.

The 25-year-old striker was signed on transfer deadline day from Leeds United and is poised to rekindle his partnership with Ross McCormack at the Madejski Stadium.

Elsewhere, Whites boss Felix Magath has no fresh injury problems as his side search for their first Championship win of the season against an injury-ravaged Royals outfit.

The Cottagers are without Australian frontman Adam Taggart, who faces six weeks on the sidelines after going under the knife to fix a groin problem this week.

Bryan Ruiz, who failed to secure a move away from the club, will also miss out as he is away on international duty with Costa Rica.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/matt-smith-line-fulham-debut-7756874?

WhiteJC

Promotion IS Still Possible!

With our season not having started as well as we`d expected, and that`s probably the under-statement of the year, Felix Magath reckons we can still win promotion this season.

Although one point out of fifteen would seem to indicate that relegation is a more likely outcome but Magath remains positive, remarking ahead of a trip to play Reading, in Berkshire,

"It does not sound good if you have four defeats and are talking about promotion but we have played five games which is less than ten per cent of the season so there is a long way to go."

"There will be a lot of points we can make up and in the history of the Championship there have been some promoted teams that have not started well."

"I think they started like us and in the end were promoted so I think it is still possible but at the moment that is not something we have to talk about."

Is Felix right or does it, looking at performances so far, need a miracle?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=370158#ixzz3D2FlOpBt

WhiteJC

Ex-Leeds Duo to Start!

As Fulham prepare for a crucial Championship fixture whereby we travel to Berkshire to play Reading, it could be an all ex-Leeds front line.

With Fulham having signed Matt Smith on transfer deadline, the word from within the camp is that Felix Magath is looking to re-create the striker force Leeds used on a number of occasions when the rangy Smith was partnered with Ross McCormack.

On paper it looks the done thing to do but will it prove to be a success?

Ask me on Saturday night!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=370161#ixzz3D2Fxb9CT

WhiteJC

Taggart Injury Woe

Just when you thought matters couldn`t get any worse, they have.

We`ve learned that our Australian striker Adam Taggart, is likely to be out of action for a period of some six weeks.

Suffering from a groin problem, the decision was taken to undergo an operation earlier this week.

We`re hoping for a speedy recovery for the lad and hope he`s soon available for selection again.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=370162#ixzz3D2GEB2BP

WhiteJC

What No Ruiz?

With no deals being concluded for our Costa Rican international in the recently closed transfer window, it was hoped he could play a part in our Championship struggle.

After all Bryan Ruiz, the player in question had a pretty decent World Cup and has the skills to offer the side that something extra.

However, before we all prepare to cheer his name over at Reading, it turns out that Ruiz isn`t in contention for a starting place as he`s still on international duty with Costa Rica!

Would you 'Adam and Eve' it!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=370165#ixzz3D4KaZyTH

WhiteJC

Preview: Reading vs. Fulham

Fulham will be looking to build on their slight recent improvement when they travel to the Madejski Stadium to take on Reading in the Championship this Saturday.

The Cottagers made a dreadful start to life back in the second tier, losing their opening four matches to leave themselves languishing at the bottom of the table.

They reached their nadir in a 5-1 drubbing at the hands of a ruthless Derby County, conceding four second-half goals to throw away a 1-1 scoreline.

However, the only way was up from that stage, and that has proved to be the case so far for Felix Magath's side as they won in the League Cup before picking up their first point of the season against Cardiff City in their last outing.

The German manager will be hoping that a first league victory is not much further behind, and he will have been pleased with the club's activity towards the end of the transfer window.

The most notable signing was Matt Smith, and he could be reunited with former Leeds United teammate and fellow summer recruit Ross McCormack up front this weekend.

With so many outgoings in the window, it was something of a surprise to see Bryan Ruiz stay at Craven Cottage, but the Costa Rican is unavailable this weekend due to international duty.

Aside from that, only Adam Taggart is absent for the visitors as Magath looks to pick up another result that may improve his job security that little bit more.

Reading, meanwhile, have been inconsistent in the league so far this season, picking up two victories, a draw and two defeats from their opening five matches.

The Royals edged past Middlesbrough 1-0 in their last outing, and Nigel Adkins will have been happy with his side's response to the hammering they received at the hands of Nottingham Forest a week previously.

The challenge for them now is to make it two wins in a row - something they have managed just once in the Championship since February.

Reading were one of the quieter teams in this summer's transfer window, but a deadline-day loan move for Glenn Murray has given Adkins more options up front.

Elsewhere, Adkins may be forced into using youngsters yet again, with Danny Guthrie, Stephen Kelly, Hal Robson-Kanu, Nick Blackman, Pavel Pogrebnyak, Shaun Cummings, Craig Tanner and Anton Ferdinand among those struggling with injuries.

The hosts could name an unchanged side this weekend, then, with the match-winner against Middlesbrough Simon Cox leading the line alongside Jamie Mackie once again.

Recent form

Reading: WWLLWW

Fulham: LLLLWD

Possible starting lineups

Reading: Federici; Gunter, Hector, Pearce, Obita; Edwards, Kuhl, Norwood, Taylor; Cox, Mackie

Fulham: Bettinelli; Hoogland, Burn, Bodurov; Stafylidis; David, Parker, Eisfeld, Roberts; Smith, McCormack

Sports Mole says: 2-1

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/reading/preview/preview-reading-vs-fulham_176189.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Williams loving the grind in not-so-pretty Championship

Aussie attacking midfielder Ryan Williams believes his Fulham team is improving and will only get better as the English Championship season goes on.

Fulham has endured a horror start to its first Championship season in over a decade, after relegation from the Premier League, managing four losses and one draw from its opening five league fixtures.

The Cottagers secured their first win of the 2014-2015 campaign with victory over Brentford in the League Cup and take on Reading this Saturday.

Williams, who made his Fulham first-team debut in midfield in the 1-0 loss to Wolves on August 20, said the young side is starting to gel.

"We're getting better as the weeks go on because everyone's getting used to and more familiar with each other," he said.

"We've just signed a player, Matt Smith, who's a big kind of target man, who can add some experience in the Championship.

Hopefully he can get us a few goals and help us push up the table."

William's Fulham debut came two and half years after he arrived at the west London club from Portsmouth, after experiencing loan spells at Gillingham and Oxford United.

"It's been a long time coming I guess," the 20-year-old said.

"But I've just been patient and went out on loan and it obviously did me a world of good. I managed to sign a new contract and now I've made my debut. I've just got to try and stay in the team now.

"I've started two out of a potential four games. I'm happy with that at the moment but as far as the team goes, we're a really young team and half of them have only just made their professional debuts.

"I think with a few games under our belts and a few more experienced players that hopefully that we can get in will be a lot better for us moving forward."

The winger racked up eight goals and five assists in 42 appearances for Oxford United last season.

Williams, who has been used in central midfield against Derby and on the right flank against Brentford, said he only felt a few nerves when he walked out at Craven Cottage against Wolverhampton.

"Surprisingly I thought I would have been nervous walking out the tunnel but I wasn't at all," the Young Socceroo said.

"But that's good as it shows my experience now that I've played in a few big games against some big crowds.

"I was a little bit nervous but as soon as you touch the ball all the nerves go away and the business starts."

A Ross McCormack goal was enough for Fulham to defeat Brentford in the second round of the League Cup.

Williams, the younger brother of Socceroo Rhys, said the victory can be a turning point and maybe the Cottagers had underestimated the toughness of the Championship.

"The way we performed that day was good, we really grinded out a win and I think that's what we need," he said.

"When our style of football isn't working we're going to need to grind the game out and defend as a team and not be so pretty sometimes.

"I think that's how the league is. Some games you'll be able to play nice football and some games you have to sit behind the ball and smash it up the pitch.

"I think that's why its caught so many people out. They don't expect it. For one, I think they underestimate it a little, the strength.

"You just don't get time on the ball in this league compared with the Premier League
"In the Premier League you have loads of time, you can turn players and play nice football.

"But down here it's just a bit of everything – 100 miles an hour, tackles flying in everywhere. I love it, I like that kind of football, mixed in with a bit of nice football."

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/fulhams-williams-loving-grind-not-so-pretty-championship#Ir9erkT5F358Yw5d.99