watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Managers

Started by mullers, September 16, 2014, 07:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mullers

Looking back over the past eighteen odd years in our history at the managers [no disrespect to Tigana who had one amazing season and then his team dropped away - also he's the fly in the ointment of my argument] I looked at what we got and what we needed at certain times.

Branfoot [who cannot be disregarded]; Adams; Wilkins; Keegan; Bracewell; Coleman; Sanchez; Roy; Hughes. Then some others. A couple may be looked on as failing but it stirkes me that we're a club that works best with British managers. Hoddle wouldn't come [a pity, imagine him working with the potential in this team], Sherwood might, and Pulis? He'd get us back up. And so might Pardew. I just think we've been too clever for our own good with some appointments. Let's get back to defending and attacking the way we did in the past.

dannyboi-ffc

Apart from brushing off tigana I couldnt agree more. Tigana didnt just get us up, he also layed the foundations for us to push on. How many other prem virgins would of fielded a team with the quality of van der sar, goma, malbranque, boa morte and saha? Blended with the solid tidy legwinski and finding the right balance from what he inherited- to what he created. His third year was poor but the first year in the prem was great. People seem to just remember us signing marlet and tigana was better than that.

But your point about british managers is spot on. It is unlike fulham and it is no coincidence our demise coincided with the appointment of 2 dutchmen and a german after finishing 8th with sparky. We didnt invest either but I think what you said is spot on.

The fulham way is the traditional english way and its no surprise every single suggested replacement bar a tigana return is british.....

sherwood, mcdermott, lee clark, steve clarke, hughton, hoddle, symons, murphy, pardew, pulis. We must all agree with you
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Canary White

The thing that strikes me looking at the list is that not a single one of them hasn't been hated by a large proportion of our support at some point and/or failed miserably at another club.

One word:

Fickle

Apprentice to the Maestro

Not a strong argument.

First you ignore Tigana because he doesn't fit. Jol wasn't vilified in his first year and some allowance ought to be made for for the loss of key players and lack of investment. Rene was in charge too briefly to make any fair judgement. Magath is a disaster.

I don't see why Fulham should be a special case. Quite a few clubs seem to hold their own with foreign managers: Wenger, Mourinho, Martinez, etc..

HatterDon

If we bounce Felix, the man I would choose would be Hughton. He's gotten two teams promoted to the Prem, and I've not seen a lot wrong with his sides once in the Prem -- except in the case of Norwich, when he had a squad filled with rubbish.

Of all the names bandied about on here, the one I'd like LEAST is Danny Murphy. Thankfully, he's the one least likely to be recruited.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

nose

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on September 16, 2014, 09:09:36 PM
Not a strong argument.

First you ignore Tigana because he doesn't fit. Jol wasn't vilified in his first year and some allowance ought to be made for for the loss of key players and lack of investment. Rene was in charge too briefly to make any fair judgement. Magath is a disaster.

I don't see why Fulham should be a special case. Quite a few clubs seem to hold their own with foreign managers: Wenger, Mourinho, Martinez, etc..

not to be argumentative but I along with perhapps half a dozen or so other did in fact vilify jol in hois first season. he was obviously a disaster waiting to happen, and in fact more than any other sngle thing was the reason we are where we are now. He sent us backwards and destroyed the moral of the club and its staff.

i honestly do not want to re-run the arguments but a few of us did see what was coming and pretty much it panned out the way we said save that he was gone before we went down, but that didn't make him any less responsible.

nose

Quote from: HatterDon on September 16, 2014, 09:39:23 PM
If we bounce Felix, the man I would choose would be Hughton. He's gotten two teams promoted to the Prem, and I've not seen a lot wrong with his sides once in the Prem -- except in the case of Norwich, when he had a squad filled with rubbish.

Of all the names bandied about on here, the one I'd like LEAST is Danny Murphy. Thankfully, he's the one least likely to be recruited.

i think your suggestion is certainly one of the two or three names that would seem to be most sensible.
i also think murphy is wrong, but i would like him back on the coaching staff to see if he could be groomed because i suspect he may in the long run be just the right sort of man.