watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Forest Penalty

Started by Ordar, September 18, 2014, 03:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny english

I'm a Forest fan and I thought that was one of the most inept displays of refereeing I've seen in a very long time. The penalty decision was despeately bad and complete indefensible - there's literally no angle from which that looks like anything other than a great tackle.

I don't think he was a homer as much as he was completely inept.

leonffc

Quote from: johnny english on September 18, 2014, 08:02:21 PM
I'm a Forest fan and I thought that was one of the most inept displays of refereeing I've seen in a very long time. The penalty decision was despeately bad and complete indefensible - there's literally no angle from which that looks like anything other than a great tackle.

:54:   076.gif

Sheepskin Junior

Like I said, we all have bad games. But, on the whole, he is a fantastic referee.
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: Nick Bateman on September 18, 2014, 04:47:51 PM
Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on September 18, 2014, 04:37:56 PM
He'll get a bigger bol***king off his assessor if he agrees that it was a bum call. One bad mark because of one bad call can set a ref back by a couple years. Happened before
Wrong!  The referees rarely ever are reprimanded and are almost "God-like" in their treatment by the FA and UEFA.  There needs to be a proper and honest redress to save the game from these rotten officials - and yes, he does seem destined for 'elite' status in the Premier League because he is such a poor and biased, bad referee.

Incidently, I have refereed before also and I thought he was cr*p!
Of course the governing bodies stick up for the referees IN PUBLIC. But privately, they rip them a new one. Believe me, I've seen it happen. And refs can disagree with other refs, I do it all the time, but my examples were on the whole, not just specific to Darren's game.

@LouieJW2507

Andy S

No he is not a fantastic referee. Consistency and good decision making is everything. He was swayed by the crowd and is not ever going to make it in the Premier league. He was quite poor in my opinion. The days when the ref is the star are gone

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: Andy S on September 19, 2014, 11:07:26 AM
No he is not a fantastic referee. Consistency and good decision making is everything. He was swayed by the crowd and is not ever going to make it in the Premier league. He was quite poor in my opinion. The days when the ref is the star are gone
You're going off one game. Maybe he had a bad one, it happens, we're human. (I'm sure I've said this already). I've seen him several times, predominantly from a neutral perspective and he is very good.

@LouieJW2507

Artful Dodger

Quote from: leonffc on September 18, 2014, 08:19:01 PM
Quote from: johnny english on September 18, 2014, 08:02:21 PM

:54:   076.gif
Agree 100%
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

the nutflush

Just watched the highlights.  How that is a penalty is beyond me. Clean tackle outside the box.  Awful decision.  On the plus side. McCormack and Rodders looked good together.  Parker coughing up the ball for the last goal was just rubbish. 

MasterHaynes

Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on September 18, 2014, 03:57:38 PM
I feel obliged to way in as a referee. Getting the ball doesn't matter. Times have changed. If you bring a player down, 8/10 times, it will be given as a foul. The rules clearly state a defender trips, or attempts to trip... Darren Deadman is a very good referee, on track to the elite list. I have met him before and he is not the type to be biased because of who a team are. If he believed something was a foul, or a booking, he'd give it no matter who it was. We aren't all bent and Fulham haven't had "the worst referee in England" since we last had Stuart Atwell. And also, a referee sees an incident once, at one angle, at full speed. We don't have the luxury of 500,000 replays from 500,000 angles in slow-mo and we shouldn't. It's all about instinct.
Sorry but just have to strongly disagree with your defence of a very poor referee. I have watched games with this guy in the middle before and I just haven't understood how he arrived at dozens of his decision. More tellingly in the Forest game Parker made two robust tackles to win the ball for Fulham Deadman correctly did not give a free kick for either and there was no advantage to Forest as both times the ball went to us, yet when the ball went dead he walked up to Parker and showed him the yellow card? In the 3 games I've seen him he has clearly been influenced by the crowd reaction in making some of his decisions. I would also say going my the animated reactions of fans at those games they would all universally say he should be removed from the list.

You are also being selective in to interpretting the rules for his defence - 'Getting the ball doesn't matter' - no it doesn't in terms of violent reckless play when the tackler is judged to intentionally collected the player in his follow through after the ball. Getting to the ball first is a key comnponent of any decision by the referee when judging whether a tackle is fair(as we are quite clearly shown each MOD in slowmo of player touching the ball first to justify no penalty) . Hutchison got to the ball first from the front taking the ball cleanly and not connecting with the player - the player connected with him tripping over his body.
Good guy or not this guy should be nowhere near a professional game of football and to hear he is on the elite list onlys confirms my thoughts on the current standard of refereeing, even at U18 level some of these accelerated guys just really should not be in charge as through their inability to control games they risk budding stars careers

Fulham1959

It is often said that refs should be 'interviewable' after a match, say on MOTD.  But, as someone pointed out on the radio several weeks back, is the interviewer going to say, "That was a great decision, Mr. Ref, just before halftime, when you spotted that handball incident", or, "You were clearly right, ref, in sending United's full back off midway through the second half.  Well done!" ?  No, it would always be about perceived incorrect decisions.

Personally, I would say that refereeing a football match is an impossible job.  I am not, nor ever was, a referee and haven't see the Forest match highlights yet.

forestfan

Deadman is one of those ref's who is so bad, he could reverse every single decision he makes and be a decent ref.

It wasn't a pen but he wasn't biased, just awful. There were a lot of decisions which didn't go our way too.

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: MasterHaynes on September 19, 2014, 02:42:16 PM
Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on September 18, 2014, 03:57:38 PM
I feel obliged to way in as a referee. Getting the ball doesn't matter. Times have changed. If you bring a player down, 8/10 times, it will be given as a foul. The rules clearly state a defender trips, or attempts to trip... Darren Deadman is a very good referee, on track to the elite list. I have met him before and he is not the type to be biased because of who a team are. If he believed something was a foul, or a booking, he'd give it no matter who it was. We aren't all bent and Fulham haven't had "the worst referee in England" since we last had Stuart Atwell. And also, a referee sees an incident once, at one angle, at full speed. We don't have the luxury of 500,000 replays from 500,000 angles in slow-mo and we shouldn't. It's all about instinct.
Sorry but just have to strongly disagree with your defence of a very poor referee. I have watched games with this guy in the middle before and I just haven't understood how he arrived at dozens of his decision. More tellingly in the Forest game Parker made two robust tackles to win the ball for Fulham Deadman correctly did not give a free kick for either and there was no advantage to Forest as both times the ball went to us, yet when the ball went dead he walked up to Parker and showed him the yellow card? In the 3 games I've seen him he has clearly been influenced by the crowd reaction in making some of his decisions. I would also say going my the animated reactions of fans at those games they would all universally say he should be removed from the list.

You are also being selective in to interpretting the rules for his defence - 'Getting the ball doesn't matter' - no it doesn't in terms of violent reckless play when the tackler is judged to intentionally collected the player in his follow through after the ball. Getting to the ball first is a key comnponent of any decision by the referee when judging whether a tackle is fair(as we are quite clearly shown each MOD in slowmo of player touching the ball first to justify no penalty) . Hutchison got to the ball first from the front taking the ball cleanly and not connecting with the player - the player connected with him tripping over his body.
Good guy or not this guy should be nowhere near a professional game of football and to hear he is on the elite list onlys confirms my thoughts on the current standard of refereeing, even at U18 level some of these accelerated guys just really should not be in charge as through their inability to control games they risk budding stars careers
I'm really not the one being selective. In a tackle where a player goes down, reckless or not, whether he got the ball or not is irrelevant. And crowd reaction means nothing, it could have been his assisstants/fourth official in his ear. The Parker card would have been an accumulation, and again, his assisstants contributing. And if you're using what they say on MOTD as a judgement for how refereeing should be done, your source selection should really be questioned.

He isn't on the elite list, as I said, he is on his way up. And refs really couldn't give a flying one about what careers they 'risk' with their match control. Players should know the rules and play by them.

Like I also said, I wasn't being specific to Darren's game, I'm not saying it was a correct call, referees aren't robots and we all interpret the rules differently and have different tolerance levels.

@LouieJW2507

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: forestfan on September 19, 2014, 03:17:46 PM
Deadman is one of those ref's who is so bad, he could reverse every single decision he makes and be a decent ref.

It wasn't a pen but he wasn't biased, just awful. There were a lot of decisions which didn't go our way too.

He isn't a bad referee. He will never be a FIFA referee, but he is good. He will make elite list in the next couple of years. Everything is on instinct, and these days, there is barely any training for those pushing towards the top to look for improvement.

@LouieJW2507

Nick Bateman

Credit to you for sticking up for your genuinely held views, even if they are wrongly placed.  You seem to be basing your premise on referees being honest individuals, which in my experience I see them the exact opposite.

It is acceptable to see an official make an honest mistake, but when one suspects they are deliberately favouring a team that is unacceptable and Deadman giving the worst penalty decision in years and booking SIX Fulham players showed a blatant pattern of bias.

And as I pointed out, he will not be reprimanded because that is why they continue to have such awful performances, week in, week out!
Nick Bateman "knows his footie"

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: Nick Bateman on September 19, 2014, 03:45:00 PM
Credit to you for sticking up for your genuinely held views, even if they are wrongly placed.  You seem to be basing your premise on referees being honest individuals, which in my experience I see them the exact opposite.

It is acceptable to see an official make an honest mistake, but when one suspects they are deliberately favouring a team that is unacceptable and Deadman giving the worst penalty decision in years and booking SIX Fulham players showed a blatant pattern of bias.

And as I pointed out, he will not be reprimanded because that is why they continue to have such awful performances, week in, week out!
Having spoken to some of my colleagues at our Society meeting last night, (a couple of them high up the system) we know who the assessor was for the Forest game. He doesn't take bad calls lightly. Chances are, and I'm not saying this is certain, he won't be doing a Championship game this weekend.

The bias ones are weeded out. Very quickly.

And my views aren't wrongly placed, I'm sticking up for refs on the whole, not specifically Darren's game on Weds. And referees are honest individuals. Besides, didn't you say you refereed before? Surely that makes you a bent crook like the rest of us

@LouieJW2507

Nick Bateman

Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on September 19, 2014, 03:58:23 PM

Having spoken to some of my colleagues at our Society meeting last night, (a couple of them high up the system) we know who the assessor was for the Forest game. He doesn't take bad calls lightly. Chances are, and I'm not saying this is certain, he won't be doing a Championship game this weekend.

And my views aren't wrongly placed, I'm sticking up for refs on the whole, not specifically Darren's game on Weds. And referees are honest individuals. Besides, didn't you say you refereed before? Surely that makes you a bent crook like the rest of us
The average ref one sees at Hackney Marsh on a Sunday morning, is a decent and honest chap - I was referring to the so-called 'elites' who ruin football at the highest level in the Premier League and receive little redress from Mike Riley (who was a rotten ref in his time).  Deadman appears to be yet another one of those positioning himself for a promotion by getting the attention of the PL by giving shockingly BAD decisions.

Bill2

Quote from: forestfan on September 19, 2014, 03:17:46 PM

I am sure there were some bad decisions for both teams but the penalty one was very expensive while the other bad mistake where your guy who tripped up Roddalega  and according to one reporter your guy should have got a straight red. Not sure you would have come back from 2-3 with 10 men.

So in essence whatever bad decisions you may have got compared to ours they were like lottery wins so I feel we have a lot to be upset about.

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: Nick Bateman on September 19, 2014, 04:25:26 PM
Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on September 19, 2014, 03:58:23 PM

The average ref one sees at Hackney Marsh on a Sunday morning, is a decent and honest chap - I was referring to the so-called 'elites' who ruin football at the highest level in the Premier League and receive little redress from Mike Riley (who was a rotten ref in his time).  Deadman appears to be yet another one of those positioning himself for a promotion by getting the attention of the PL by giving shockingly BAD decisions.
I will agree with you about Mike Riley. Never hit his full potential. But these days, appointments, promotions, bol***kings etc. are covered by PGMOL and their director, everyone's favourite Howard Webb. Although it may not seem it 80% of the time, Webb has a head screwed on his shoulders, and if he sees someone like Darren Deadman, or any other official, as not being the right person for the job, someone else will get it.

May I suggest that some of you give Mark Halsey's book a read. You may not have liked him as a ref, but the book gives an insight into our world

@LouieJW2507

Nick Bateman

'Our' Howard as he is known, was generally the best of a bad bunch, in my view, but behind the scenes without the imminent pressure of high profile matches, I think he will do a good job.

I've heard and read a lot from Halsey's book in the media - was interesting although I question his relationship with Sir Alex.

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: Nick Bateman on September 19, 2014, 04:36:22 PM
'Our' Howard as he is known, was generally the best of a bad bunch, in my view, but behind the scenes without the imminent pressure of high profile matches, I think he will do a good job.

I've heard and read a lot from Halsey's book in the media - was interesting although I question his relationship with Sir Alex.
His relationship with Mourinho was even more questionable. I think he just tried to get along with everyone

@LouieJW2507