https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (26/06/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, June 26, 2010, 06:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202805
Fulham - Is There a Plus Side?
Based on all that has been said, Hodgson's move from Fulham to Liverpool seems pretty much a certainty now.

Compensation is supposedly being agreed as we speak.

It can't be said, however, it has come a surprise. Ever since our involvement in the latter stages of the inaugural Europa League competition, Roy was probably on the eye of a few top teams, both abroad and here in the mighty British isles.

Given that fact, I'm not as bitterly disappointed as I perhaps should be. We've all had the chance to ready ourselves for the news and accept defeat on this particularly uphill challenge; a challenge which involves keeping hold of one of the best managers in the land.

Speculation has already been rife regarding whom is going to replace Roy, and despite my desperate plea for Sparky to get a shout, Sven-Goran Eriksson seems to be the likely candidate for the job.

Alongside the Eriksson rumours come a small ray of light, however.

Apparently, Mohammed Al Fayed is so buoyed by the potential acquisition of Sven, taking into account his pleasing record of cup and league victories, he is more than happy to offer the Swede a transfer budget which is far more pleasing on the eye than we here at Fulham are perhaps used to.

That does, to me, beg the question as to why Roy never really had too much of a sniff at Mo's millions.

Bar Andy Johnson, (Sir) Roy never really delved into the chairman's deep and outlandishly patterned purse.

All that can be taken from this is that Hodgson definitely had an eye for a bargain. He knew which players were right for the club and he knew how to get the best out of them.

Because of this, we've never truly had big signings to brag about under Roy. Instead, we've had Premier League flops and the odd Scandinavian import.

With that in mind, I think it is possible, believe it or not, to put a positive spin on the ongoing events.

We are all certain of the fact that Roy's signings were very good, and the ex-Inter Milan manager clearly knew how to make each and every one of them play to the peak of their abilities week on week.

Yet, with a new man, I can't see the likes of Danny Murphy, Dickson Etuhu and our incredibly tight defence, ever reaching the highs they did over the last two years.

In turn, this should mean Mo will be prepared to spend big.

Roy Hodgson was a God-send for Al Fayed, because he was happy in the knowledge that his employee could spend minimally and get maximum results.

From the list of current candidates, though, nobody will produce the kind of results that Hodgson did, with our current crop of players.

Therefore, Al Fayed will know he has to allow whomever comes in, pretty much day-by-day access to his now bursting-at-the-seams bank account.

Hopefully, this will mean that a Summer of stunning transfer dealings will ensue, which could spell a particularly bright future for our humble club.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202805#ixzz0rvucd35x

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/football-blogs/liverpool-fans-should-look-at-spurs-to-know-appearences-can-be-decieving?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ffc_Premiership_Blogs+%28FFC_Premiership_Blogs%29
Liverpool fans should look to Spurs as appearences can be deceiving

Reports suggest that Roy Hodgson has moved a step closer to becoming the next Liverpool manager after completing his media role as a BBC World Cup pundit and is due to return to England today (Friday 24).

The potential move has proved to be quite controversial as the Telegraph reported that club legend Kenny Dalglish, who was appointed two weeks ago to help search for Rafael Benitez's successor, may quit the club if Hodgson is appointed as he is not the Scot's preferred candidate.

Many of the Anfield faithful have a split decision on the Hodgson rumours, some believe he is not high profile enough to handle a big club like Liverpool and others see him as a man who may be able to steady a sinking ship as he has plenty of experience.

If any Liverpool fans wished to dispel their fears over the current Fulham chief perhaps they should look at the example of Tottenham, who appointed Harry Redknapp during a rough patch for the club. Juande Ramos was sacked after a poor start to the 2008/09 season as the club seemed to regress and were sat at the wrong end of the Premier League.

Some of Spurs' fans were against a move for Redknapp as they thought he may have not been a big enough name to save the club from the plight they were in. Also, Redknapp had a controversial history which has included tax evasions and many have raised question marks over his loyalty as he walked out on Portsmouth in 2004 to go to bitter south-coast rivals Southampton (relegated them), then went back to Portsmouth where he won the FA Cup in 2008...until Tottenham came calling the next October.

Since then Harry Redknapp has worked wonders at the White Hart Lane club since his arrival. In his first season he managed to get them to the Carling Cup final, only to lose on penalties against Manchester United.

Last season Redknapp guided Tottenham into the much coveted fourth Premier League spot which guaranteed the right to play in the UEFA Champions League playoff. Redknapp's achievement was recognised and he won the Premier League's Manager of the Season award. He has himself been touted as a possible successor to Benitez after the good work he had done.

Similarly to Redknapp, Hodgson has taken a fairly unfashionable club in Fulham into 7th place in the 2008/09 season. In the following season the Englishman oversaw one of the most engaging fairytale stories in football when he took the Craven Cottage club all the way into the first Europa League final, but disappointingly lost to Atletico Madrid.

Hodgson also boasts a wealth of experience in the game and has managed 15 different clubs all over the place including Halmstad BK, Bristol City, Orebro, Malmo, Neuchatel Xamax, Switzerland, Inter Milan (twice), Blackburn Rovers, Grasshoppers Zurich, Copenhagen, Udinese, United Arab Emirates, Viking, Finland and Fulham.

Arguably the Fulham boss is perhaps not as risky an appointment like Frank Rijkaard or Manuel Pelligrini, who have no experience of English football and would cost more money in wages at the cash-strapped club which may wish to tighten its belt.

However, some may fear that Hodgson may not be able to handle the immense pressure he will be under to turn the club around and could end up being out of his depth.

What do the Liverpool fans think? Should Hodgson be given the chance just like Redknapp had been afforded at White Hart Lane, or do the Anfield outfit need a more high profile name to take charge of the struggling club?

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202819
Fulham - Hurry Up, Roy!
I only really noticed how close we are to the start of pre-season when I read an article about Sam Allardyce calling in his Blackburn players at the end of June to start work for the new season.

With the speculation about Roy increasing and the BBC Sport today reporting that he will wait a week at least until an announcement is made has made me more anxious about our pre-season preperations.

If Roy does leave then surely we will struggle to find a replacement and have him and his team in place by at least mid-July, then we will already be a couple of weeks behind teams likely to be in similar positions in the league table, such as Allardyce's Blackburn side.

Hurry Up Roy and make a decision so we at least don't get our pre-season off to a chaotic start!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202819#ixzz0rvvoNDZD

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202818
Fulham - Hodgson`s Replacement Could Be?
Looking at the printed press this morning, it looks like it`s only a matter of time before (Sir) Roy Hodgson takes the plunge and moves to Anfield.

Whether that move is confirmed before he resumes his World Cup punditry duties or after remains unanswered.

Nevertheless, the hunt appears to be on for his successor with the much travelled and much heralded Sven Goran Eriksson, currently portrayed as the clubs first choice. But, Sven won`t come cheap and there are mutterings that his required salary may well be outside of what Mr Al Fayed wants to pay.

Searching through the papers, the names of two other possible candidates are also prevalent. One is Mark Hughes, the choice you indicated in our recent poll, incidentally ahead of Sven Goran Eriksson, whilst the other is Tony Mowbray.

Mowbray, axed after an unsuccessful spell at Celtic, previously managed West Bromwich Albion.

Am I the only person worried that a recent trend whereby we`ve recruited several players from West Brom, namely Kamara, Gera and Greening could be a prelude for the introduction of a manager who has also been on the books of the West Midlands club?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202818#ixzz0rvwAGTLV

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202816
Fulham - Hodgson Danger!
As the odds start to tumble in favour of Roy Hodgson going to manage Liverpool, I have a fear!

It`s widely recognized that departing managers often return to their previous side to bolster their new squads.

Fans favourites get snatched away as the boss recruits those he knows can do a decent job for him.

Now I would hope that Roy would have agreed to do the decent thing and not fleece our club of the talent it has, but if not, who do you think would be top of Roy`s agenda for going to the North West with him?

Who`ll go with him!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202816#ixzz0rvwP9Vfq

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202817
Fulham - Golden Boy Gets Golden Handshake?
A pretty tidy sum awaits one of our former golden boys!

Since Hull City suffered the indignity of relegation, it`s been an open secret that they`ve been looking to shift our former golden boy, Jimmy Bullard.

The Humberside based club need to sort their finances out and moving on a high-earner, like Jimmy, remains a priority.

Today, the tabloids are suggesting that Hull will give Bullard a golden handshake t leave the club, with a payment of £2 million being suggested.

A case of golden boy gets golden handshake?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=202817#ixzz0rvwg6To0

WhiteJC

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/index.php/news/content/view/full/91996?
Hodgson favourite to replace Benitez at Liverpool

Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has emerged as the leading candidate to take the reins at Liverpool.

Several reports claimed that the Englishman will replace Rafael Benitez, who left earlier this month to join Inter Milan after six years at the club.

An announcement is not believed to be imminent and Liverpool are thought to still be looking at other candidates.

However, Hodgson is believed to be the club's first choice as the Merseysiders aim to finish in the top four next season.

Ex-Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish, who had been linked with a shock return to the club as manager, is now believed to be out of the running.

Hodgson has rejuvenated Fulham since joining them in 2007, with the defining moment of his tenure arriving at the end of last season when he led his side to the Europa League final.

Speaking about the speculation surrounding him and the position at Anfield, Hodgson recently said: "I'm Fulham manager. I'm perfectly happy at Fulham. There's a lot of speculation, but I can't enlighten you."

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill, ex-Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini, ex-Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink, Croatia coach Slaven Bilic and former Manchester City manager Mark Hughes have all been linked with the Liverpool post.

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway dismissed speculation on Friday that he is about to leave the club.

Holloway is currently negotiating a new contract with the Seasiders after overseeing their promotion to the Premier League last season.

Reports have suggested the 47-year-old is growing frustrated with the talks and may quit, but Holloway insists he is going nowhere.

"Anyone that thinks I would walk out on the club must be mad," Holloway said.

"For people to think that I would walk out without saying anything, and that Karl (Oyston, Blackpool's chairman) and I would fall out badly is quite ridiculous.

"My intention is to lead Blackpool in the Premier League next season and that's the chairman's intention too."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1289657/Fulham-eye-David-James-Mark-Schwarzer-looks-set-complete-3-5m-deal-Arsenal.html?ITO=1490
Fulham eye David James as Mark Schwarzer looks set to complete £3.5m deal to Arsenal

Fulham will press ahead with the free transfer signing of England goalkeeper David James - their £3.5million sale of Mark Schwarzer to Arsenal should be completed next week.

Meanwhile Alan Curbishley has joined the list of candidates to replace Liverpool-bound Roy Hodgson at Fulham. Sven Goran Eriksson and Mark Hughes are others.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1289657/Fulham-eye-David-James-Mark-Schwarzer-looks-set-complete-3-5m-deal-Arsenal.html?ITO=1490#ixzz0rvxZBoFU

WhiteJC

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1259135/index.html?cid=rssfeed&att=
Pantsil: We'll give it everything

I call him 'the lion' because he never gives up. Even if he's hurt or covered in blood, he stays on the field. It will be a terrific battle between us.
John Pantsil on his friend-turned-foe Clint Dempsey

Teams always need a few players who are endowed with technical brilliance and the ability to turn a match on its head with a single stroke of genius. That said, every coach would say it is equally important to have players who are prepared to run through a brick wall for their team-mates. Ghana coach Milovan Rajevac is certainly blessed with players who fall into the latter category.

Take John Pantsil, for example. Just a week ago, the Fulham stopper departed on a stretcher in stoppage time at the end of the 1-1 draw with Australia, blood pouring from his lip. Four days later he was back, patched up and raring to go as the Black Stars went down narrowly 1-0 to Germany.

In an exclusive interview with FIFA, Ghana's central defender looked ahead to the impending Round of 16 tie with USA, spoke of his friendship with American forward Clint Dempsey, and reflected on the match between the two countries four years ago at Germany 2006.

How do you feel going into the knockout stages?
First of all, I'm just happy that we've got through the first round again, four years after we did it in Germany. We deserved to qualify after the team played magnificently in our first three matches. Youngsters and veterans alike all did what was expected of them. I'm absolutely thrilled for my team-mates.

What can you tell us about the USA team?
They are a very solid side that keep running for 90 minutes and more. They won't stop fighting until the final whistle. We know how they like to play and we know how we can cause them trouble. Now we're in the knockout stages and we'll give it everything to get through to the next round.

What memories do you have of the match in Germany?
It was the match that took us into the Round of 16. The USA were above us in the FIFA ranking, but we still managed to beat them 2-1. It was a great feeling. I remember that at the end of the game we stayed on the field for several minutes, waiting for the result of the other match in the group. When we finally heard that we had gone through, we all went mad.

Do you think the Americans will be out for revenge?
I'm sure that the game from four years ago will still be in their minds, but we've played our hearts out to get into the top 16 teams in the world, and we're not going to give up now. We're ready for anything.

How would you describe your American team-mate from Fulham, Clint Dempsey?
He's a real fighter. I call him 'the lion' because he never gives up. Even if he's hurt or covered in blood, he's determined to stay on the field. Actually, I'm a bit like him. It will be a terrific battle between the two of us.

Has he ever kicked you in training?
Absolutely, but when he kicks me, I make sure I kick him back. And that's when he starts moaning. He likes to dish it out, but he doesn't like to take it. Seriously, I love him, he's a great guy as well as being a fantastic player with loads of experience. I'm well aware that we'll have to keep a close eye on him all the time to stop him scoring.

How would you sum up Clint Dempsey?
He's a good mate, a good friend. He's a real leader on the pitch at Fulham, and I'm sure he is in the national team too. All in all, he's a great guy and a great player.

Going back to the game, would you agree that the Ghana defence has been excellent so far?
Let's just say that so far everything has gone well. We have been very disciplined and we aim to stay that way.

Could you perhaps do with more impetus in attack?
That depends on what our coach has planned. I don't know yet what tactics he has in mind to take on the Americans. Each of us has to listen to his instructions and do what he tells us. If he wants us to attack more, that's what we'll do. It's all up to the coach.

What gives you such remarkable defensive strength?
It's simply a matter of discipline. Everyone does their utmost to stop our opponents gaining possession in between our midfield and defence.

Do you feel extra pressure going into the knockout rounds?
It's inevitable, but when you're a professional you learn to live with it. What you do is put the pressure to one side and relax. If you can do that, the results come by themselves. As one of the more experienced players, I've been talking to the youngsters, telling them that we can't afford to lose control, even if we know that should we lose, we're going home.

You're known for walking around at the end of matches with a Ghanaian flag. Is that a superstition?
I always feel I'm representing my country and the flag is my way of showing to the whole world where Ghana is and what the country is capable of. Our fans always give us their unconditional support, and this is my way of saying thank you.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-news-Rafa-Benitez-warns-Roy-Hodgson-over-Anfield-unrest-article494287.html
Rafa gives Hodgson a word of Anfield warning

Roy Hodgson has been warned by Rafa Benitez about the problems he will inherit at Liverpool.

Hodgson is set to be confirmed as Benitez's successor at Anfield and the new Inter Milan boss claims he found it very difficult to manage the club last season.

Benitez had little cash to spend because of Liverpool's £351million debts and claims the changes in the boardroom were another headache.

The Spaniard also famously fell out spectacularly with owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett and dealing with them will be another issue for Hodgson.

"This year everything changed from the beginning," said Benitez, whose six-year reign ended earlier this month.

"The people in the club changed and then the approach was different.

"Clearly there was the question of controlling the money we could or couldn't spend.

"From the beginning of the season, everything was different to in the past.

"We were so close to winning the title the season before. Everybody was expecting us to do something more. But we had problems from the beginning with injuries and performances. That led to a bit of frustration and you could see the atmosphere at the club was different at the end of the season.

"Now, during the summer, you can see the fans are not very happy.

"I enjoyed the first five years especially, but the last year was more difficult. But the memories after six years have been really good overall."

Liverpool are making an official approach to Fulham for Hodgson, who returned from South Africa yesterday, over the weekend and hope to appoint him by the start of next week.

Hodgson, 62, will be given a £2million-a-year contract and is expected to bring Fulham No 2 Mike Kelly with him to Anfield as his assistant.

White Noise

FC Tokyo's Yuto Nagatomo eyeing a Blues cruise as Birmingham ready bid

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 10:28 PM on 25th June 2010

Birmingham City have expressed an interest in Japanese international defender Yuto Nagatomo.

The speedy 23-year-old left-back has impressed for a Japan side that has stormed to the last 16 of the World Cup.

Italian sides Cesena and Bologna, Spain's Real Mallorca and German club Borussia Dortmund have shown an interest but the 5ft 7ins FC Tokyo player says he has long dreamed of playing in the Premier League. FC Tokyo will hold a meeting next week to discuss Nagatomo's possible transfer.

Although he can play across the backline, the versatile Nagatomo has been predominantly used on the left side.

Nagatomo has scored five goals in 68 matches for FC Tokyo and been capped 28 times for Japan since May 2008, scoring three goals.

Birmingham are keen to recruit a left-back after struggling to tie down a deal for Fulham's Paul Konchesky, 29.

The representatives of Birmingham's former loan striker Christian Benitez have held further talks with West Ham over a deal for the Ecuador international.

Birmingham believed Benitez's £7m price tag from Mexican club Santos Laguna was too costly, but West Ham co-chairman David Sullivan is an admirer.

Meanwhile, Tal Ben Haim has priced himself out of a move to West Ham after demanding £45,000-aweek wages and a £1m signing on fee.

Ben Haim is available on a free transfer after triggering an escape clause in his contract at Portsmouth following their relegation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1289630/FC-Tokyos-Yuto-Nagatomo-eyeing-Blues-cruise-Birmingham-ready-bid.html#ixzz0rwcLzdpx

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/06/26/1996262/liverpool-look-to-marseille-coach-didier-deschamps-as-roy?
Liverpool Look To Marseille Coach Didier Deschamps As Roy Hodgson Remains Undecided On Anfield Hot Seat
Reds set sites on World Cup winner...

Liverpool have targeted Didier Deschamps as their new manager as Roy Hodgson stalls over a final decision regarding the Merseyside club.

The Fulham manager has been heavily linked with the Anfield job, but Goal.com UK revealed on Friday that the instability in the boardroom has prevented Hodgson from making a final decision regarding the Anfield hot seat.

Liverpool appear to have now turned their attention to Deschamps, as time is running out before preparations get underway for the new season.

"The Liverpool chief executive, Christian Purslow, called me Thursday afternoon," said Jean-Claude Dassier, Marseille's president, in Le Equipe.

"He speaks French very well and he's is very courteous. I was waiting for his call from Liverpool for the interest in Didier. He asked me if I allowed him to meet Didier and Jean - Pierre Bernes. I replied that I did not allow any meeting to take place. I have also indicated that there is no way we'll let go of our coach."

"Didier says we have relationship built on trust. I hope he will stay with us for one more year. I am not worried about the fact that he has been linked with a move away. It is also true that Didier is flattered to see a big European club interested in him."

Marseille wanted to extend Deschamps' contract for another two seasons but the Frenchman has only agreed to stay one more year.

Deschamps' nine-year managerial career has involved roles at Monaco, where in 2004 he reached the final of the UEFA Champions League and Juventus.

Hodgson has been monitoring England's progress in the World Cup, and should Fabio Capello resign after the tournament, he could be inclined to take that role over the vacancy at Liverpool.

Manuel Pellegrini, Martin O'Neill, Slaven Bilic and Mark Hughes have also been linked with the Liverpool job.

WhiteJC

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/26062010/58/premier-league-england-keeper-james-set-fulham.html
Premier League - England keeper James set for Fulham

Fulham are set to sign England keeper David James on a free transfer, according to the Daily Mail.

The 39-year-old's Portsmouth contract expired at the end of last season, which saw Pompey relegated to the Championship.

And Fulham are keen to bring the former Liverpool man to Craven Cottage with Mark Schwarzer's £3.5 million move to Arsenal to be completed next week.

Meanwhile, Pompey are banking on the World Cup to spark interest in their stars as the cash-strapped club look to raise £15m to move out of administration.

"A number of our players [Nadir Belhadj, Kevin-Prince Boateng and John Utaka] are out there in the shop window," said chief executive David Lampitt.

"Fingers crossed that it will make them more attractive to prospective buyers."

Liverpool hope to speak with Roy Hodgson this weekend about becoming the new boss at Anfield. (The Sun)

But sacked boss Rafa Benitez has sent a warning to the 62-year-old Fulham manager.

"Last season the people in the club changed and then the approach was different," said Benitez, now at Serie A and Champions League winners Internazionale.

Blackpool have launched an ambitious bid to sign Bayern Munich striker Deniz Yilmaz, according to the Daily Mail.

Bayern are willing to sell the Germany-born Turkish Under-21 international for a cut-price £750,000 and the 22-year-old is keen on a move to the Premier League.

Also at Blackpool, Seasiders boss Ian Holloway has reassured fans he will not quit over his contract wrangle after the club have not rewarded him with a proper pay rise following promotion. (Daily Mirror)

Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has urged Tottenham Hotspur boss Harry Redknapp to make a formal £28 million offer for star duo Uruguay striker Edinson Cavani and Danish centre-back Simon Kjaer.

"If Tottenham are able to make such an offer as this, I am willing to let the two players leave," said Zamparini.
The pair have also attracted the interest of Manchester City and Manchester United respectively.

In the Championship, Leicester City's Nigel Pearson is set to be unveiled as the new Hull City boss next week. (Daily Star)
The Tigers, relegated from the Premier League last term, will have to pay The Foxes £400,000 in compensation as 46-year-old Pearson has one year left on his contract at the Walkers Stadium.

WhiteJC

http://articles.squarefootball.net/squarefootball/2010/06/should-woy-lead-the-anfield-revolution-.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Squarefootball+%28Squarefootball%29
Should 'Woy' lead the Anfield revolution?

If reports on Friday's BBC Football website are accurate then Roy Hodgson, currently fulfilling punditry obligations in South Africa, is being lined up as Liverpool's big summer signing.   

Hodgson enjoyed an enchanted last season, but is the Fulham boss really the man to re-direct Liverpool Football Club? It must not be underestimated, they are a club in turmoil.

The scarcity of financial security is well publicised but the managerial void has been brushed under the carpet whilst the World Cup takes centre stage.

Cottagers boss, 'Woy', won manager of the year and deservedly so. He got the very best out of a Fulham side, who literally required the skin of their teeth to remain a top flight outfit in 2008-09. The fairytale script this season lacked the poetic ending, but Hodgson will still go down in Fulham folklore.

Is he though the right man to steer the most prestigious football club in English history out of the dumps? He won five titles, spread across the Danish and Swedish premier divisions, at Copenhagen and Malmö FF respectively.

Internationally he did well, again with limited resources, by pushing Switzerland to last 16 World Cup acclaim in 1994.

Surely a chance has presented itself though for Liverpool to build from the ground up, as Manchester United did when they hired a certain 45-year-old Scot, 25 years ago.

Sir Alex Ferguson endured six years of uncertainty in securing his first Old Trafford title, but the board knew it would take time. They gave, they observed - Ferguson built his empire.

Hiring 62-year-old Hodgson seems to be a case of settling for the best of the 'available' bunch. He may be good manager, but is he a great manager? This is debatable as the line is far from defining. But it doesn't make big waves as a signal of intent from the club.

Few continental managers would come with such little promise of any immediate expansion. Maybe the thinking behind employing Hodgson is that the club have minimal financial clout with which to build and he is good with shoestrings. To justify, he probably tops their list of realistic targets.

He seems very affable but how is he in the art of persuasion. Top of his to-do-list would be Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, ensuring they keep the faith and remain Anfield employees.   

Liverpool crave the league title more than anything. This paired with getting the club back rubbing shoulders with Europe's elite, Hodgson would be eyeballing a very, very big challenge.

Finally, would it not feel like giving an ageing manager a final chance at the big time. Saying that, that sentiment does not always point towards a false dawn as Tottenham will testify too, their transformation under Harry Redknapp has been admirable.

Over achievement pours glory on a manager but the flip side can destroy them. Hodgson's potential inheritance has talent, but many of them have had their artistic license revoked - Rafael Benitez saw to that. Ryan Babel was touted as the next Thierry Henry upon his Anfield arrival, remember?

It would be a balancing act - an overhaul operation whilst keeping hold of those prized assets - but the five times European champions are now a long-term project. It may a challenge Hodgson craves, but it may also be a challenge one step too far for the nicest manager in English football.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/eriksson_makes_himself_available_533684/index.shtml
Eriksson Makes Himself Available

Sven Goran Eriksson has announced his departure from the Ivory Coast job.
The former England, Mexico and Manchester City boss has been linked with Roy Hodgson's job at Fulham and is leaving the Ivory Coast post after their World Cup elimination on Friday.

"It was clear when I took the job that it was until the end of our World Cup and that's today," said Eriksson, who admitted he did not know what his next move would be.

"I'll stay (at the World Cup) some days looking at the football and then I'll probably go taking some holiday. Then, we'll see. I don't know - something, hopefully."

ScalleysDad

Under scrutiny the transfer dealings of both Roy and Erickson flatter to decieve. We could put out a team of Roys bargains that never actaully played for us or flopped big style. The odd gem and the coaching and nurturing that made a player the best they could be are his legacy. As for Sven he has just spent, spent, spent and spent. I'm not sure even MAFs pockets are that deep.
I'm talking as if Roy has gone............................. bloody hope I get to retract this one.