News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stockdale out and Fotheringham in.. Why?

Started by Aaron, September 19, 2014, 10:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

Was there ever any plausible / rational explanation presented for why Stockdale left and Fotheringham came on board? 

This isn't a rhetorical Magath bashing type question either, I'm genuinely curious.

nose

there is no rational sense to either action. whoever was responsible in the words of clough 'wants shooting.'

bill taylors apprentice

Its all about money.
Stockdale was on about 30,000 a week and had to be got off the books.
The other fella is cheap (and useless)

Supermitch

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on September 19, 2014, 11:24:09 PM
Its all about money.

I very much doubt Stockdale was on anywhere near that sum, guess would be nearer 10-15.

It doesn't of course answer the initial question.  I expect we'll never know the answer other than it was down to Magath.

The Rock

I would say a lot of the things that Danny Murphy said on talk sport are basically realistic - in that the last of the remaining players might have liked to stay, but Magath forced them out because they wouldn't follow his philosophy. Stockdale may have just been the last lamb to the slaughter because he believed in our club, and I don't blame him and thank him for that.

Casualty of war. Blame wages - but oops Rodallega is still here. We could have kept the right players. We didn't.

And here we are.

Aaron

Quote from: Supermitch on September 19, 2014, 11:41:30 PM
Its all about money.

I very much doubt Stockdale was on anywhere near that sum, guess would be nearer 10-15.

It doesn't of course answer the initial question.  I expect we'll never know the answer other than it was down to Magath.

I don't think I'm buying the wages argument either considering whatever keeper Magath was supposedly interested in was going for £12m or something.  That would have cost even more in the long run and if he was commanding that sort of fee I'd expect the wages would be similar.

HatterDon

Who cares? There's no answer available anymore and it wouldn't make any difference if there were.

Time to move along
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Aaron on September 19, 2014, 10:36:18 PM
Was there ever any plausible / rational explanation presented for why Stockdale left and Fotheringham came on board? 

This isn't a rhetorical Magath bashing type question either, I'm genuinely curious.

Lots of unanswered questions. Absolutely baffling, there is no comprehension. I certainly did not see The Dave Stockwell transfer to Brighton coming, just another error of judgement, amongst many others.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

St Eve

Felix thought that Fotheringham would be a good keeper

alfie

I don't understand why Fotheringham keeps getting all this agro, the guy was offered a deal by FM and he took it, he does not pick himself to play, and he can only do what he does and if that is not up to the standard then he should not play, but I don't go along with all this crap against him.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

The Bronsons

It was, is and always will be bizarre if you look at it objectively. I buy the idea that it comes down to FM having "personal issues" with some players and not with others. With Fotheringham and Kiraly he brought in people who would be extremely grateful to him for having a job. With Brede and Sidwell and Stockdale he got rid of people who for different reasons had stature at the club and didn't owe him anything.

Tonywa

But surely Hugo is only still here because he still has a contract with the club and they couldn't find anyone willing to take him off their hands and match the sort of money he is earning here.

Artful Dodger

That is only one of a million questions over what has happened in the last 12 months over managerial and player policies but as HD says, we will never know and it's time to move on. Kit wants to bring some stability to the club and I hope he does, starting by having a consistent line up week on week.

Time to concentrate on getting our Fulham back  COYW 049:gif
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Pie and mash

Not sure I understanding the thread topic?

Was Fotheringham bought as a direct replacement for Stockdale

No wonder we're bottom  :031:

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Aaron on September 20, 2014, 01:11:27 AM
Quote from: Supermitch on September 19, 2014, 11:41:30 PM
Its all about money.

I don't think I'm buying the wages argument either considering whatever keeper Magath was supposedly interested in was going for £12m or something.  That would have cost even more in the long run and if he was commanding that sort of fee I'd expect the wages would be similar.

There are various websites that list PL players wages club by club, I can't prove they are 100% correct but I have seen Stockdale down as £30,000 per week last season.

Considering his time at the club, the renewal of his contract during that time, international call up, keeping a good reserve from looking elswhere etc etc.  Also look at what the average wage for first team squad members was, it may be surprising but not unusual.

I wanted Magath out with a passion but people seem to dismiss the strong possibility IMO, that the owner wanted all the older/high earners out asap and Magath just bought into it.

Any of those that are left are on longer/bigger contracts and are hard to shift with the exception of Ruiz who is an enigma.

filham

Quote from: alfie on September 20, 2014, 08:56:11 AM
I don't understand why Fotheringham keeps getting all this agro, the guy was offered a deal by FM and he took it, he does not pick himself to play, and he can only do what he does and if that is not up to the standard then he should not play, but I don't go along with all this crap against him.

Its because Mitroglou , who was the big transfer blunder, has left and Fotheringham has picked up the batton.