more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (26/09/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 25, 2014, 07:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chris Hughton 'holds positive talks with Fulham'

Chris Hughton could be the frontrunner for the Fulham job following reports that he recently held "positive talks" with the club.

The former Norwich City boss is keen on the role but faces competition from Gianfranco Zola, Tim Sherwood, Steve Clarke and caretaker manager Kit Symons, according to The Mirror.

Fulham are seeking a new head coach after sacking Felix Magath following a winless start to the current campaign, the club's third managerial casualty in 12 months.

Hughton has been out of work since his dismissal as Norwich boss last April, and he is understood to be eager to return to management.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/hughton-holds-positive-talks-with-fulham_178777.html

WhiteJC

Magath and his fascinating tenure at Fulham

Last week saw Fulham part company with controversial manager Felix Magath, following a poor start to the season.

The Whites currently find themselves bottom of the second tier – with only a point to their name – which led to the German's eventual dismissal.

However, it would be the revelations that came out following his departure that sparked ongoing discussion within the world of football.

Damning

A strange accusation came from former captain Brede Hangeland regarding the treatment of an injury of which he endured at the end of last season.

It is rumoured that he was ordered to sooth an injury with a block of cheese by Magath, leaving the club doctor and the Norwegian both puzzled and angered.

The list continued, ranging from staring at players in an intimidating fashion to fining youngsters huge sums of money for poor punctuality.

Expected

At this moment in time it can only be classed as rumour, but such allegations do not surprise me in the slightest.

The players lacked any sort of enjoyment in their playing style under Magath, and it was evident on several occasions. Hearing about the players being pushed to their limits the day before the club's crucial match at Stoke City last season explains a lot.

Never have I seen a side look so tired and dejected so early on in an encounter, on what was a day that needed 100% from all involved.

Control

Control seemed to be a huge aspect for the former Bayern Munich man, and it was effective in clearing out a number of big names from the squad.

It is no coincidence that a handful of former players have come out to say that they are willing to return to the club following Magath's removal.

In addition, several have been vocal in lambasting the German for his outdated methods, which shows his appointment – in the situation – was a wrong one.

Meulensteen

Shahid Khan's decision to sack Magath leaves one to wonder about the possibilities that could have unravelled under Rene Meulensteen.

At the time – and to this day – I felt that his sacking was unfair and produced a corrosive effect upon the squad.

With Meulensteen bringing in players to suit his coaching style, it was always going to be tough for Magath to gain control.

In hindsight, I am certain that both Khan and Alistair Macintosh would change that decision if the clocks were reversed.

Progression

Under the Dutchman, Fulham were seeing some signs of improvement and were beginning to gain hope of survival.

Stability was a necessity at the time, and with a manager bringing in 'his' players only to be sacked two weeks after the window, the decision was idiotic.

Once Magath arrived, I felt as if it was game over for The Cottagers and their Premier League status.

Recovery

It is clear that the higher echelons will have to do a lot to clean up the mess that Magath has left at the club.

Instead of rushing into a decision over the managerial future, I feel it is best to leave Kit Symons in charge until the process is thoroughly dealt with.

Promotion may look somewhat farfetched now, but the season starts for Fulham on Saturday away at Birmingham City.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/magath-fascinating-tenure-fulham/105933/?

WhiteJC

Lasse Looking Up

Lasse Vigen Christensen wants Fulham to kick on from their Capital One Cup success when they travel to Birmingham City at the weekend.

A slick first-half display from the Whites on Tuesday saw them lead Doncaster Rovers by two goals, and while the visitors asked questions after the restart, a 2-1 win proved enough to take Kit Symons' men into the Fourth Round.

"First half we enjoyed it, we started really well on the front foot," Christensen told fulhamfc.com. "The combinations were just flowing and we were playing quickly with few touches, as the gaffer wants.

"We made it a bit hard for ourselves in the second half – we always knew they were going to come out and give it another go.

"I think we responded okay, but we didn't hold onto the ball as well as we could when we were a little bit under pressure. But a win's a win, and that's what we're going to take from it."

Extra-time looked like a serious possibility with just over 10 minutes remaining when Rovers were awarded a penalty, but Marcus Bettinelli preserved his side's lead with an excellent low stop – much to the delight of his fellow Academy graduate.

"It was great for Marcus," Christensen said. "It was great for the team, and that's one of the biggest contributions he could have made so I'm delighted for him, and relieved also.

"We wanted to come out and show the fans, like we did at the weekend, that the performance and the effort are there. Obviously it's trying to get into that mindset of every player having confidence, and that's what the Doncaster game will give us going into Saturday."

Of all the players Symons has at his disposal as Caretaker Manager, Christensen is arguably the one he knows best.

In charge of the Under-18s when the Dane first joined the Club as a 17-year-old back in January 2012, Symons later made him captain of the Under-21s, before handing him back-to-back starts for the first time in the senior side.

"We all want to do well for him," the Denmark youth international stated. "I think we all really enjoy having Kit as a manager and we want to do well for him, but also for ourselves and for the team.

"It's all positive when we win a game and I'm really happy for Kit. I've had him at three teams now with this Club and I really enjoy working with him and I'm so happy that he's here now in this new role."

Having made his debut for the Whites at the start of the calendar year, Christensen made a couple of appearances in 2014/15, but since Symons took the reins he's played every minute.

"I've been fighting for a place since we started pre-season and I've been eager to show what I can do," he said. "It seems like now is a good chance for that – I'm just happy with anything I can get.

"I'm still learning with every game, but a performance like Tuesday can only be good experience for a young player like me."

Attentions return to league matters on Saturday when we travel to St Andrew's to take on Birmingham, and Christensen is adamant his side have what it takes to begin climbing the Sky Bet Championship table.

"As a team we've always known that we've got enough quality in the team and we've got enough will to do well," he stressed. "I don't think we're really lacking anything, except we just got into a bad run.

"We have to work really hard to get the points in this league, but you could see on Tuesday that – in terms of technical ability and keeping the ball – we're a very good team.

"In this league, there's always another game in a few days. When you win one you go into the next one on a high and then you can go on a run of suddenly winning three games.

"We're eager to get that first win out of the way – it would obviously be a big relief for all of us. But we'll crack on, it's a long season so there will be ups and downs and hopefully we've started on a down and it's only up from here."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/25/lasse-looking-up?

WhiteJC

Chris Hughton wants Fulham job, yet to be contacted by club

Chris Hughton has told ESPN FC that he is interested in the Fulham job but has yet to hold talks with the Championship club.

The former Newcastle, Birmingham and Norwich manager has emerged as a frontrunner for the post at Craven Cottage after Felix Magath was sacked last week.

Hughton's successful track record in the Championship would appear to work in his favour, although he has yet to be contacted by Fulham.

"It is a job I would be interested in," Hughton told ESPN FC. "There were some reports in the newspapers that I have already held talks with Fulham, but that is not the case.

"What I would say is Fulham is a fantastic club and any manager would be interested in working there. I understand they will take their time to weigh up their options and I will await developments in the next few days and weeks."

Hughton guided Newcastle out of the Championship at first attempt after the club's relegation from the Premier League in 2009, while he was also successful in taking Birmingham into the playoffs amid a difficult financial backdrop in the 2011-12 season.

He has been out of the game since losing his job at Norwich last April, but is now eager to return to management.

Former Celtic manager Neil Lennon and ex-West Bromwich Albion head coach Steve Clarke have also been linked with the Fulham job, with caretaker boss Kit Symons also hoping to land the job on a permanent basis.

Fulham, who were relegated from the Premier League last season, currently sit bottom of the Championship after picking up just one point from eight games.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-championship/story/2054558/chris-hughton-wants-fulham-jobyet-to-be-contacted-by-club?

WhiteJC

Symons: Fulham players will decide whether I get manager's job

Caretaker manager finally sees and end to the longest week of his life

Kit Symons reckons a successful 'interview' for the Fulham manager's job is down to the players.

If the side named and trained keeps on winning, the caretaker reckons the job is permanently his, even though he knows there are informal but more conventional interviews with others behind the scenes.

The former Wales international got off to a winning start in the 2-1 League Cup win over Doncaster on Wednesday, and plans a first three Championship points over ex-Fulham pal Lee Clark's Birmingham on Saturday, while insisting he is the man best placed to take the club forward.

"It's only been a week, but it's been longest week in my life," Symons said. "This is my interview, and the more time I get the better. I've spoken to the owner on the phone and we had a positive chat."

Symons also revealed he had a face-to-face with Shahid Khan's right-hand man Mark Lamping after the Doncaster win that also appeared to go well.

"I know they will be talking to other people as well," the caretaker said. But he reckoned he had a head start when it came to knowing the job at hand.

"You do need to know what you're dealing with. To make Fulhamish decisions you do need to know the fabric of the club, and I'm in a position to know this."

However, Symons downplayed reports he intends to bring in Alan Curbishley in a supporting role, at least until he gets the job permanently.

"A lot of things will need addressing. But I wouldn't want to jinx it until that happens," added Symons.

There are no new injury worries, although striker Matt Smith is available after serving a three-game suspension.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/symons-fulham-players-decide-whether-7832934?

WhiteJC

Kit's Birmingham Preview

Kit Symons is hoping that a positive atmosphere around Motspur Park will work in Fulham's favour as they go in search of a first league win of the season at Birmingham City on Saturday.

The Whites' Caretaker Manager secured victory in his second game in charge in Tuesday's Cup meeting with Doncaster Rovers, and he believes everyone pulling in the same direction will aid the Club's cause.

"That was my main and initial focus – to just get everyone together," he said in Thursday's press conference. "Together we're strong. As individuals or if things are fractionated, it's a struggle, it becomes tough.

"It's been a week now – it's been the longest week of my life! Already you can just sense [togetherness] around the whole Club – not just in and around the First Team players – but the whole Club.

"People have been very, very supportive, people have bought in straight away – everyone just wants this Club to do well. It's a great Club, very special to me as you know, and it's now a very, very happy place to be, but a few results would make it even happier.

"I'm not saying my entire focus if we don't get a positive result at Birmingham is that the world falls apart, but it's a big game for us and we need to start getting wins sooner rather than later."

He continued: "And for me to have a chance of getting this job, I need to start getting results sooner rather than later as well.

"There's no hiding place, no getting away from it, but also I'm convinced that the work we're doing in the short space of time we've had is the right work, and the way that we're preparing the players is the right way.

"I'm looking for a positive response again from our players on Saturday and a good performance. You're never guaranteed anything in football, but I'm convinced that's what's going to happen, that's what we're going to get, because they've prepared very well.

"They've rested up after Tuesday night in the right way, they've done the right amount of work today. Again, we'll do our prep work on Friday and I'm convinced they'll be flying come Saturday."

Symons has spent the best part of a decade in the Club's employ over two spells – the first as a player, before returning behind the scenes – and he hopes that knowledge of all-things Fulham will help get results on the pitch.

"I do think you need to know the Club you're working for," he said. "For me, things work best at Fulham when Fulhamish decisions are made, if you like.

"And to make those Fulhamish decisions you need to understand the very fabric of the Club and what makes it tick and what the Fulham fans are all about, what they need when they come and watch their team play. Having played for them, I understand that, I understand the fans.

"It's a big job – there are a lot of things that need addressing, things that in my opinion needed changing, but I've got no problem with making those changes. I will make big decisions when they need to be made – I've got no problem with that.

"I've done scouting for Club when we got to the Europa League Final, I've coached the Under-18s, I've coached the 21s, I've done everything but help in the kitchen really!

"I love this Club and I know what the people who work here need, I know what the players need, I know what the fans' requirements are and what they want from their players on the pitch. I'm in a position to give them that which makes me very proud and makes me very lucky."

Symons should have no new injury concerns ahead of Saturday's trip to the Midlands, stating: "Everyone's looking good at the moment. It's a healthy camp.

"Again, the way we train will be linked in to where people are individually each day, so I won't take risks with players, I want fully fit players who are able to go and put a 100 per cent shift in for the Club.

"And if people aren't quite right, I've got no problem with that, I'll rest them up and play someone who is because I think that's the right thing to do. Player welfare is very high on my list of things that I focus on and I'll make sure everyone's in a good shape."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/25/kits-birmingham-preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham FC fined after admitting misconduct charge

Fulham FC has been fined £5,000 following an FA charge of misconduct.

The charge was that the club failed to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from provocative behaviour in or around the 19th minute of their fixture against Nottingham Forest FC on 17 September 2014.

Fulham admitted the charge and accepted the standard penalty of £5,000.

Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/governance/2014/sep/fulham-fined-250914?#Dxm0GGbsLe2volqx.99

WhiteJC

Exclusive: Danny Murphy Talks In-Depth About Liverpool And Fulham

Danny Murphy lived every football fan's dream. Despite starting his career in the bottom tier of the Football League, he landed an early move to his boyhood club, Liverpool.

Murphy would enjoy memorable success in his eight years at Anfield, and even after leaving, relative success with another club he grew fond of followed.

Aged 27, he headed south to the capital, where he spent almost the entirety of the remainder of his career, and after shorter spells at Charlton Athletic and Tottenham Hotspur, he settled beside the Thames, and spent five years at Fulham.

In his first season at Craven Cottage, the playmaker helped the club to an unprecedented escape from relegation, before taking over the captaincy the following campaign and guiding the side to a remarkable 7th place finish.

The following year, Fulham caused a number of upsets to reach the Europa League final, narrowly losing to Atletico Madrid in Germany.

Those days seem a distant memory for the Cottagers now however; a club seemingly in disarray and with a squad that bears no resemblance to the one Murphy left. Relegation came to pass two years after the now 37-year-old's departure, and the West Londoners currently foot the Championship table.

"It pains me to see," says Murphy, with a look of deep regret on his face. "It's upsetting because there was such stability around the club.

The club, then under Felix Magath, let 22 players leave their books over the summer, and their ex-midfielder believes that's come back to haunt them.

"I think when they tried to change the team so quickly, they lost so many experienced players that the team quickly lost confidence and consistency," he laments.

"Ultimately, what Felix Magath has left is a squad of youngsters who need time to bed in and gain experience at this level, and a lot of foreign players who, again, haven't played in the Championship and are taking time to adapt."

Murphy is hugely concerned about the club's future, and concedes that they can now write off any chance of bouncing straight back into the Premier League.

"I think survival is the realistic aim. It's naïve to think there can be a magic wand or a person who can come in and turn it around that they can get into a play-off position."

Talking of a person who can come in, since Magath's sacking, Murphy has been one of a number of people linked with the vacant job in the Craven Cottage hot-seat.

And although he possesses a strong and evident desire to go into that side of the game, he revealed as open as he would be to talking to the club, there has been no communication as yet.

"I've always said that I'd like to be involved in management and coaching in whatever capacity," he says.

"I've continually said that I'm willing to help in any way, if I get a phone call from the club, even if it's asking for advice, never mind offering me a position, because I care about the club, as so many people do. I do think I've got something to offer."

I mention the word Liverpool to the now BBC pundit, and immediately his face lights up. Not just because this is a much lighter, more comfortable subject, but because of his clear love for the club.

I recall to him some of the days he had there; a famous cup treble in 2001, a supporters' player of the year award, three winning goals in four years at Old Trafford; the grin widens with each one.

For this Scouser though, as much mass hysteria as they each filled him with, one moment tops the lot.

We'd earlier exchanged a laugh about where my allegiances lay, and when asked what sticks with him the most from his Liverpool days, he has the courtesy to apologise, and bring back a painful memory for me.

"On a personal note, probably the goal I got against Everton to win the Derby at Goodison in 2003. Sorry," he says, loving every second.

"It was great because it was a winner in a Derby, the only one I ever did, and it was such a good goal. To score such a good goal against anyone you'd be buzzing, but to be against Everton, I got a bit carried away actually."

It didn't go immediately to plan for Murphy when he joined the Reds, however. After signing from Crewe Alexandra in 1997, he spent a season in and around the first-team before being loaned back to the Cheshire club the following year, after struggling to make an impact.

"It's difficult at first because you make a bigger deal than it is," he admits.

"Instead of just really focusing on your football and just progressing with that, you become a bit nervy and apprehensive of the pressure of it all, and it took me a little while to settle."

Upon his return Murphy featured much more, and began to make a bigger impact in the team.

"Once I started being really comfortable with it and thought, 'I've got to take this opportunity and show what I can do', it was a wonderful feeling of contentment.

"I was playing with the likes of Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman who I'd been watching for many years before, and you just have to get to grips with it."

The following campaign was arguably Murphy's greatest ever in a Liverpool shirt. He was part of the side that won the League Cup, FA Cup, and a dramatic UEFA Cup all in one season.

In the rest of his time on Merseyside, before leaving in 2004, the former England international also collected a UEFA Super Cup, Community Shield and another League Cup, and he reflects on his stay with great fulfillment and satisfaction.

"I look back on it with great pride. It was just a wonderful achievement in many ways, to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world and actually succeed.

"I didn't just have a quick few months or a season, I spent the longest stint I spent at any club. And going back there the times I did later and to get such good receptions from the fans was a brilliant feeling."

Goals, medals, awards and everything else aside, the Liverpool supporter, who managed to carve out a career playing for the team he loves, had to add one memory to the list of special moments that will simply never leave him.

"Overall my memory of Liverpool was just being able to sing You'll Never Walk Alone to and with the fans after winning a trophy, when all I did growing up was sing it to the players."

Danny Murphy was speaking on behalf of Capital One, Credit Card Company and sponsor of the League Cup.
By Matt Desa

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/articles/football/exclusive-danny-murphy-talks-in-depth-about-liverpool-and-fulham-36658/?

WhiteJC

Eager to see more from Tunnicliffe

Boss Gary Bowyer is delighted to be able to add Ryan Tunnicliffe back into his squad for Saturday's home match against Watford.
The former Manchester United youngster was unable to take part in the 1-0 win over Fulham last time out due to league ruled preventing loan players from featuring against their parent clubs.

Tunnicliffe, who is on a season-long loan from Fulham, impressed as a substitute in a thirty-minute cameo against Derby County last time at Ewood, with the manager looking forward to seeing more from the 22-year-old midfielder.

"The impact that he made when he came on against Derby was great for us," said Bowyer. "He turned the game in our favour.

"For him then to have to miss the game against Fulham was disappointing for the lad and disappointing for us. But he's shown glimpses to the Ewood public of what he is capable of and what a good player he is.

"So we are looking forward to the progress that he'll make throughout the season."

The inclusion of Tunnicliffe means more competition to the squad, something Bowyer is delighted to finally have.

"Competition is something that we've strived hard to get to and we feel we've got that in every department now," added the Rovers boss.

"It is about the players embracing that competition and the luxury for us is that we can afford now to make changes if we feel fit."

Read more at http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/eager-to-see-more-from-tunnicliffe-1961953.aspx#uEsdMrAPDwd1f76L.99