watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: (Stoke City related) 'Marvellous' tv program last night

Started by leonffc, September 26, 2014, 05:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonffc

Did anyone see the tv program on BBC2 last night about Neil Baldwin, the former Stoke City kit man?
What a heart warming story of a fantastic bloke that over came learning difficulties (or didn't even realise that he had them) to live a fantastic life!! I wish I could be as positive as him.
I'm sure that the film made it look much more positive and happy than it was as it only glossed over what 'banter' he would have got from a dressing room but hopefully he was truly appreciated by the majority and of course Lou Macari, who played himself in parts of it, and talked very well of 'Nello' on Talksport yesterday.
It also made me like Stoke City for an hour.

"Nello, Nello, Nello'  049:gif

RaySmith

Sorry I missed it.

I heard about it on the radio, and apparently he really was well loved by everyone at Stoke.

Sounds like a heart-warming story in these often bleak times.

leonffc

Quote from: RaySmith on September 26, 2014, 06:11:56 AM
Sorry I missed it.

I heard about it on the radio, and apparently he really was well loved by everyone at Stoke.

Sounds like a heart-warming story in these often bleak times.

Ive just been reading their 'Oatcake' forum and he was genuinely loved by everyone it seems. Some stories on there are not even in the film but they portray the guy as an absolute legend.
He ran his own team called Neil Baldwin FC (where he was manager, captain and penalty taker, and apparently won player of the year for 43 years running according to the film) and in the end Keele Uni, where he made his own job up as well as run his team from, couldn't field a Uni side because all the decent players wanted to play for him.

Macari played him in a testamonial at villa park for Gordon Cowans and although it showed him scoring in the film, apparently everyone on the pitch wanted him to but Tony Kelly nicked the ball off him and had a shot.

Well worth trying to watch it on 'catch up'

MrProphet

A fantastic programme that bought a tear to the eye. Never thought I'd say that in a good way about something involving stoke! What a man nello is, an inspiration to all.

Why are you always so happy nello?
Because one day I just decided I wanted to be happy

Something we could all learn from.

leonffc

Quote from: MrProphet on September 26, 2014, 08:51:57 AM
A fantastic programme that bought a tear to the eye. Never thought I'd say that in a good way about something involving stoke! What a man nello is, an inspiration to all.

Why are you always so happy nello?
Because one day I just decided I wanted to be happy

Something we could all learn from.

Funnily enough I've tweeted something similar this morning. My outlook on life seems different. It won't last but I'm enjoying the moment!! Until 4.50 tomorrow at the latest!!

Fulham 442

It was a brilliant program - really inspirational and heart warming.  In a word Marvellous!

Lighthouse

Very uplifting, it does emphasise that the less you are aware of things the happier you are. Very moving and if only we could have the same lack of awareness we might all be a little more contented.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Chesh

At Stoke away last season, they filmed something just before the game (or at half time - can't remember), and I think it was a crowd shot, with this bloke (the actor) on the pitch.

Watched the first 20 mins last night, and recorded the rest.
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Lighthouse

As a side note my late Dad went to school with the Dad of the actress that played the mum. Gemma Jones who has been a wonderful actress in her career and whose father was actor Griffith Jones.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

SG

My son was at Keele Uni and was football club secretary. We met 'Baldwin' several times. He was indeed a legend there, loved by all the footballers. We also met him at Anfield when we played L'pool in the league cup one evening in the 90s, I think we lost 5-0. He got tickets as he knew someone at the club!
Remarkable story.

Burt

Hope it's on iPlayer, would love to see it given all the positive press and comments there has been around it.

leonffc

Quote from: Burt on September 26, 2014, 12:15:19 PM
Hope it's on iPlayer, would love to see it given all the positive press and comments there has been around it.

I believe it is Burt

Peabody

Peabody

It is on IPlayer, I urge everyone to watch it, if you can. If only to encourage people to be positive.

Two Ton Ted

Never ever bloody anything ever.

Peabody

Two Ton Ted

Never ever bloody anything ever.

SP

Like most I expect, I shed a tear when his Ma passed away.