watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (27/09/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, September 27, 2014, 09:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Chris Hughton reveals he would be interested in replacing Felix Magath at Fulham

Chris Hughton has revealed he would be interested in taking over at Fulham following the recent dismissal of Felix Magath.

Magath was appointed in the final months of last season, but he was unable to prevent the club's descent into the Championship. Fulham have started the new campaign in very poor form though, and Magath was sacked with his team bottom of the table, with seven defeats from their opening eight games.

The ex-Newcastle boss has been one of the names linked with the vacancy at Craven Cottage, but he has denied reports that he has already held discussions about replacing Magath.

He was sacked as Norwich manager in April as the club looked to avoid relegation from the Premier League. The Canaries had lost four of their last six matches at the time, as well as six consecutive away games.

The ex-Republic of Ireland international led Newcastle to promotion in his first season as permanent manager at St. James' Park in 2009/10, and that experience may be attractive to Fulham.

Fulham have conceded 19 goals in the Championship this season, more than any other team.

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/chris-hughton-reveals-he-would-be-interested-in-replacing-felix-magath-at-fulham/184699#qWbzpCw8lH70MHIl.99

WhiteJC

Londons Calling

Saturday's game against Fulham is a first of a trio against clubs from the Capital. Blues are in a bit of a difficult situation going into this one – Fulham's dreadful start to the season means that people will be expecting us to win, and the players and manager will be given a barracking if we fail to do so, and will see people already agitated by our rather slow start to the season (in terms of points) agitated further still.

originalmagathBut should we expect to roll Fulham over on Saturday? They've got rid of Felix Magath as manager, who by all accounts was a total loon, and that has seen the likes of Fernando Amorebieta, Dan Burn, Hugo Rodallega and Bryan Ruiz properly return to the first-team fold who when added to those who have been playing for the Whites all season such as Scott Parker and Ross McCormack create the structure of what on paper would be a pretty good looking Championship line-up, and certainly not one that should be adrift at the bottom like they are at present. By the sounds of things Magath had sucked all the life out of the side, but there are signs that that life may have been restored with a win in the cup this week and if that's the case then to be honest they strike me as being very tricky opponents on Saturday.

There are people who have said that if we lose Saturday then Clark should go, whether he chooses to walk or whether he's pushed. There are people who think he should go now (some of whom are undoubtedly people who have been pig-headedly stubborn for some time about their desire to see him go, and some who are more fickle). To me it's all rather pie in the sky. If you are to sack a manager, you need a proper plan in place and a successor identified who will come into the club and do a better job; is there such a candidate around, who we can afford and who would come? I don't mean the Walt Disney names some people put forward such as Chris Hughton or Roberto Di Matteo, but someone who would come in, who we could afford and who would definitely do better than the current manager.

As I've hinted at, if there is a manager who is infinitely better than Lee Clark who is gonna come into the job right now, then by all means get him, because I accept that Clark has his limitations. But I am yet to be convinced that such a candidate exists. I read all the message boards; SHA, J&S, Blues Forum etc as well as the Facebook and Twitter pages dedicated to our beloved club, but regarding Blues right now I have taken particular heed of a guy who posts under the name of 'Old Fella' on SHA. He states that there is no real point in getting rid of Clark whilst the current hierarchy are in power, and I agree; there is no point in bringing in someone who has to work whilst being held back by Clark's shackles and cannot wriggle free of them to do any better. I have yet to be convinced that there is the stand out candidate who will definitely do better than LC is doing right now.

leeclarkpointingMy gut feeling is that whilst we are outside of the relegation zone (and we are outside of the relegation zone right now) then we are seeing all that can be asked of this team and its manager. I expected no more of this season. The supposed visionaries are pointing out that we actually had a good blip in the middle of the season last campaign before getting our arse well and truly stung, but I would also point out that come New Year we had the heart of our team ripped out by other clubs recalling their players and that sent us on a downward spiral; Lee Clark has learnt from that, which is why we only have one player in the squad on a long-term loan right now rather than the litany of loanees we had last season who were recalled by their parent clubs. In my opinion this squad will be together from now until May, and my hope is that they have enough quality which will be combined with a level of understanding generated between the players which means will be good enough to stay out of League One.

Win lose or draw against Fulham mind, and there are two away games at Millwall and Charlton to contend with. Both are in good form, but both aren't insurmountable obstacles; we generally have done better away from home than we have at home under Mr Clark, and we always (and I mean ALWAYS)) seem to win at Millwall; we seem to be their bogey team. In general, we have shown enough that we can kick, bollock and bite against any other team in the division. We will need that resilience, and more, if we are to get points in the next week. I have set the target of five points to be won between now and the Charlton game, and I just hope I am proven right.

http://madeinbrumfanzine.com/2014/09/26/londons-calling/?

WhiteJC

Birmingham City: Burn return

Birmingham City old-boy Dan Burn will be back at St Andrew's at the weekend

Dan Burn
Dan Burn returns to St Andrew's tomorrow with Fulham.

The centre-half gained valuable experience at Blues last season on loan.

His first taste of Championship action, the 6ft 6in Burn went through various highs and lows.

But, ultimately, he performed better and better as he went and the Cottagers recalled him before the turn of the year, which hurt Blues.

Burn, who made 28 appearances for Blues and scored once, captained Fulham in their Capital One Cup victory against Doncaster Rovers in midweek.

And he championed the claims of Kit Symons for manager afterwards.

Symons is caretaker boss following the sacking of Felix Magath.

And Burn revealed that now the German has gone, Fulham are much different.

"It feels a lot more organised out on the pitch,'' he said. "We're doing more video analysis on the teams we're playing and he (Symons) wants everyone to enjoy themselves."

Fulham are without a victory in the Championship. They have lost seven of their games.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-burn-return-7836542?

WhiteJC

Inside St Andrew's

Ahead of Saturday's Sky Bet Championship clash, Birmingham City supporter Andy Gray gives us the lowdown on his side.

What's been your take on the season so far for Blues?

It's been a strange start - we seem to be playing well and not getting the results. We threw away wins against Ipswich and Brentford by conceding late equalisers, and lost a 2-0 lead at Norwich last Saturday. So if we can start holding on to those then things look a lot brighter. As it is, we're right amongst the relegation battle, although it's still early!

Which of your players have particularly impressed you so far this season?

Demarai Gray has been a revelation in the last couple of weeks. He came on and changed the game against Leeds a couple of weeks ago; he tore them apart and should have won a penalty that would have probably given us the win. He looked great against Norwich on Saturday as well. He's still young but the kid looks special and I think he'll be a huge player for us this season.

What's a realistic target for Birmingham come the end of the campaign?

With the financial issues still circling over us I think it's all about consolidation right now. I think mid-table is the best we can hope for but you never know in this league! A bit of momentum and you can shoot up the table. As long as it doesn't go down to the last minute of the season like last term I'll be happy!

Lee Clark is a legend amongst the Fulham faithful – what's the Birmingham fans' opinion of him?

It's fair to say opinions of Lee Clark are mixed at St Andrew's. There are a lot of voices that think he changes tactics and formations too often which leads to inconsistency. To be honest, though, I think most fans understand he has his hands tied significantly with the financial problems and the fact he kept us up last season was a miracle. He deserves time and a chance to lead the team once the ownership issues are sorted and he has a bit more transfer market flexibility.

Which Fulham players do you expect to cause you problems?

He hasn't been firing on all cylinders so far but Ross McCormack is always a player you have to be wary of. He tore us apart last year at Elland Road and he's always got the potential to create a goal from nowhere. He seems to be coming into a bit of form in the last couple of games so we'll have to make sure to watch him closely.

Do you have any memorable moments from previous games against Fulham?

Not good ones! My two stand-out memories of Fulham are the penultimate games of the 2007/08 and 2010/11 seasons. The first one I was at university and so nervous watching the game alone in my flat that I went through a box of cider in the first half! We lost and the rest is history - I'm sure I don't have to remind you of your great escape! Worse still was the second time when a win at home would have probably kept us up – you lot had nothing to play for and still beat us 2-0. It was the worst performance I've ever seen and we were relegated a week later.

What's the best and worst thing about a trip to St Andrew's?

Not living in Birmingham these days, I always make sure to have a famous Balti pie when I get back to St Andrew's! Unfortunately, the worst thing these days is the poor crowd numbers. The place used to rock and the singing before the games against Villa used to make the hairs on my neck stand on end. It's such a shame to see it half empty every week these days.

What's one song we're bound to hear from the home fans?

There's only one song you need to listen out for and that's 'Keep Right On'. It's our anthem and will be sung repeatedly all afternoon!

Where's a good place for away fans to grab a pint before the game?

There'll be plenty of places to have a few drinks in the city centre. It's only a short walk to the stadium from there so why not enjoy the sights of Birmingham at the same time!

What score prediction are you going for?

It seems like a good time to play Fulham with their poor form, but you never know what the reaction will be to a change of manager. I'll go for a 2-2 draw because I think we've got confidence at the moment, but I'd never count Fulham out.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/26/inside-st-andrews?

WhiteJC

FULHAM 2-1 DONCASTER ROVERS: 250 WORD MATCH REPORT

Craven Cottage is a lush away day. It's got heritage, tradition, good burgers and it's ten minutes away from my missus' house. After a win at the weekend and with the memory of Watford away still fresh, I had high hopes for this one.

First half was one to forget, it was stale but we could have easily gone in three down. This was due to a frail defence and a lone striker acting like a dog fetching sticks. If Fulham had a little more panache the game would have been over after the first thirty minutes.

During the second half break Paul Dickov must have read my article advising that we play two upfront and get Forrester involved, because low and behold Theo Robinson came on for Richie Wellens and Harry Forrester replaced Kyle Bennett, who I hadn't even realised was on the pitch. Coincidence?

Cue second half revival. The boys passed the ball with an eye on making chances. Nice triangle passing in and around the box before Coppinger netted and we were on for a comeback. Robinson received a luscious ball at the back post that was intercepted by a Fulham hand. Penalty awarded. Penalty squandered. Good save, but weak penalty.

It was a match of two halves, they deserved to be two up in first half, we deserved to score two in second, but that's football. Tyson off in injury time, think it was a head injury. Coppinger man of the match by a country mile.

by Jack Peat

http://popularstand.wordpress.com/2014/09/26/fulham-2-1-doncaster-rovers-250-word-match-report/?

WhiteJC

Birmingham City v Fulham: Three City players who could give the Cottagers the Blues

We identify Birmingham's main attacking threats ahead of Saturday's clash

Birmingham City's Demarai Gray (L) celebrates scoring the second goal with team mate David Cotterill
Birmingham City boast the Championship's most creative player so far this season and Fulham's defence will have to up their game if they are to leave St Andrew's with anything come Saturday evening.

Summer signing David Cotterill has set up 27 goalscoring chances for City this term, more than any other player in the division, although Birmingham's attacking threat does not end with the former Doncaster Rovers winger.

Birmingham Mail football content editor Steve Wollaston has given us the inside track on the Blues and reckons, along with midfield schemer Cotterill, Clayton Donaldson and Demarai Gray will also need to be monitored closely by the struggling Cottagers.

Wollaston said: "Clayton Donaldson has been a big summer signing for Blues, he is a big unit and a handful for the best of Championship defenders.

Action Images / Steven Paston
Powerful forward: Clayton Donaldson in action

"He holds the ball up well, brings others into play nicely and is a powerful striker who gets in the right position more often than not.

"His 18 goals for Brentford last season prove he is a big threat in front of goal."

Wollaston continued: "Demarai Gray is the latest big thing at Blues since Nathan Redmond, he is a talented young footballer with a big future ahead of him.

"He broke into the Blues first team last season and at 18-years-old he has already become a big favourite with the fans.

"The pacy winger loves to dribble and take players on down the flanks, his goal against Norwich last week showed the class and composure that he can offer Blues on the big occasions.

Creative spark: David Cotterill
"If you are an under-pressure defence, he is the last player you want to be facing at the moment."

And Wollaston added: "David Cotterill is another newcomer to the Birmingham City ranks, the Welsh wing wizard has been in fine form working hard up and down the flanks and delivering appetising balls for the Blues forwards.

"Has been a key player for Blues so far this season and his guile and creativity will be ever important as the season continues."

Fulham have gone 12 games without keeping a clean sheet in league competition - that will surely have to change if they are to add to their dismal tally of just one point from their opening eight matches.

Here's a look at how Birmingham got on in their fixture, a 2-2 draw with Norwich City, as Cameron Jerome scored twice against his old club City.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-v-fulham-three-7836780?

WhiteJC

How Kit Symons' wife saved a man's life

Missus saved someone from choking as caretaker manager chatted about Fulham

Fulham caretaker boss Kit Symons reckons friend Chris Coleman owes him dinner if he gets the job permanently.

But when the pair celebrated Cookie's appointment to the Whites job in April 2003, it nearly cost a dinner guest his life, as Symons recalls.

"We were in a restaurant in Hampton Hill: me, Chris, and respective wives, and my wife's neighbour Richard," Symons said.

"Chris had just had the phone call about the job, and Richard's a bit in awe of Chris so although he's got a bit of steak in his throat he tries to get rid of it quietly.

"However, he starts to lose oxygen and is about to faint, although we're talking football. My wife's heavily pregnant, but comes behind Richard, whacks him on the back twice and out comes a bit of steak.

"But we're so into Fulham, we kept on talking about 4-4-2 and all that, and Richard is convinced Lucy saved his life.

"Hopefully, if I get the job on a permanent basis Cookie will take me out and we can celebrate. He owes me a meal."

Symons reckons he now has a fair chance of running into a pile of pals from his playing days now in opposite dug-outs - and knows not one of them will do him in any favours.

"It's quite nice having old team-mates opposite," he said. " Paul Dickov was there on Wednesday for Doncaster ; I know Dougie Freedman from Palace; and now there's Lee Clark at Birmingham on Saturday.

"But I don't think knowing Lee as well as I do is going to help me any more. We'll both prepare as hard as we can and play to win, and maybe have a cup of tea afterwards."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-kit-symons-wife-saved-7836759?

WhiteJC

All change at the Cottage

A lot has changed in the last week down at Craven Cottage. A spirited performance against high-flying Nottingham Forest was not enough to save Felix, and despite a slight delay owing to the chairman being in the US, we were finally put out of our misery the following afternoon when it was announced that Kit Symons had been appointed in a caretaker capacity.

Lasting just seven months there is not too much to say about the Magath era. The fact it included a run of 11 league games without a win in such a short period speaks volumes though. No one can argue that the squad and club he inherited were ideal, but at the same time in no way did he improve the situation at any point. In terms of bringing through the younger generation Felix was successful to some degree, but like with every other area of his managerial approach, it was just to such an extreme degree. His training methods were well reported, as it appears are his medicinal treatments, but it was his transfer and selection policies that really proved his undoing. Everyone anticipated an overhaul this summer but the decision to sell Stockdale to Brighton for a poultry £1m is just baffling, while more recent reports lead us to believe the likes of Sidwell and Hangeland were encouraged to leave when surely if they had wanted to stay we should have bitten their arms off.

It was the same with the blooding of the youngsters. At times it seemed as if Felix opted to pick a player purely to make a point rather than in the best interests of the team. I have no doubt that Burgess is a first team player of the future but the decision to not even consider Dan Burn for the first few games made no sense. The freezing out of the likes of Ruiz, Amorebieta and Rodallega to name but a few was never in the interest of the team and when the likes of Bettinelli did turn in a good performance, he found himself dropped the following game in favour of a 38-year-old incapable of wearing a pair of shorts.

The legacy of Felix's time is that yet again we find ourselves looking for a manager, with a rather depleted squad including a number of questionable signings and no established starting line-up to speak of. With Khan calling the shots it is hard to predict exactly how long Kit Symons will get to justify his claim to succeed Felix but the early signs seem promising. Despite a 1-0 loss at home to Blackburn, the inclusion of Ruiz, Rodallega and restoring Bettinelli to the team seemed to at least make some sense and in the last few months as a Fulham fan that is a real rarity.

The Costa Rican's performance was fairly average on the day but to be fair he hasn't exactly had much playing time lately. Were it not for the sending off just before half-time I think we would have gone on to win the game. The mid-week league cup win against Doncaster will hopefully give us a boost against fellow strugglers Birmingham on Saturday, and at the same time take another step towards actually establishing the solid starting XI we should have had all season.

The situation looks desperate but two wins and we can really kick on this season. I have never doubted the quality of the squad but rather the decisions and line-ups which dictated them. In Kit Symons we have a man who no fan would begrudge a chance at the throne and someone who really is Fulham through and through. There will come a time when his inexperience is called into question and no doubt it will also depend on who the other potential candidates are, but for now I can't think of a better man to inherit the club in its current state. COYW.

http://shoot.co.uk/all-change-at-the-cottage/

WhiteJC

Birmingham City boss tells Colin Tattum why Fulham is a game Blues have to win

Lee Clark says a win against his old side Fulham is crucial

Birmingham City manager Lee Clark
Lee Clark has admitted that Birmingham City's result against Fulham is crucial.

Never mind the quality, feel the width, is the mindset.

The three points are all that matters to the Blues boss.

Recent good performances count for little, said Clark.

"Yes, I think it is crucial," commented Clark.

"On Saturday the points are more important than the performance.

"We have to win the game, because of the position they are in also.

"I hope we can continue the (recent) level of performance, but combine the two and get the result.

"But, if not, we have got to make sure we get three points regardless.

"We haven't got what we have deserved yet. But we have to take that into Saturday and get the points we need."

Blues have won just once in the league so far. Fulham are without a victory and bottom of the Championship.

"Over one whole game, there has only been Wigan (when Blues have not performed in any department).

"Even Sheffield Wednesday, we should have been out of sight by half-time.

"We have got to make sure we turn these good performances into wins."

Clark is still revered at Craven Cottage for his time at the heart of their midfield between 1999-2005.

And he wishes all the best for his former club and caretaker boss Kit Symons – within reason

"I want them to have an upturn in their fortunes – but starting from 5pm Saturday.

"I want us to beat them, I want us to get three points on the board, for our own good.

"But then I want the club where I had seven terrific years to get on to bigger and better things, to be back challenging to be back in the Premier League.

"Obviously, though, my allegiance is 100 per cent Birmingham.

"We need to win, we have got to be right on it and we have been looking at them and ways we can exploit them to try and get that win."

Despite their awful start to the season, Fulham will be a difficult proposition, Clark warned.

"They are in a false position. They always have been, they've got too many top quality players.

"We are under no illusion that where they are in the division is not a true reflection of their squad.

"They lost a few games and seemed to lose a bit of confidence. Kit has given it them back a bit.

"So we have to make sure we start the game brightly to make sure they don't feel too good about themselves again.

"The environment they are working under now is completely different environment to the one they were working under before.

"People are smiling down there again, people seem to be enjoying it. They look like they are trying to express themselves out on the pitch - I was at their game Tuesday - and there is a bit of a feelgood factor around, in terms of who is in charge of them, a man who knows the club, who has been part of the successful era there.

"He knows the make up of it, the supporters, what they expect."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-boss-tells-colin-7836699?

WhiteJC

Championship: Birmingham City v Fulham team news

Birmingham boss Lee Clark has Grant Hall, Denny Johnstone and Oliver Lee back in contention for Saturday's Sky Bet Championship clash with Fulham at St Andrews.

Centre-back Hall has missed the last two games with a groin strain, frontman Johnstone has been out for five fixtures with a thigh injury and midfielder Lee has yet to feature this term due to a hamstring problem.

Koby Arthur is not quite ready after returning from a loan spell at Cheltenham with a tight hamstring and Lee Novak is still sidelined with a knee injury.

USA international Brek Shea has made a bright start to his stint on loan from Stoke and told the Birmingham Mail: "It is always good to know that the gaffer wants you. That obviously makes you feel good and, as a player, makes you work harder for him."

Matt Smith returns to the Fulham squad after suspension.

The striker has completed a three-match ban after he was sent off just 18 minutes into his debut against Reading a fortnight ago.

Skipper Scott Parker will be back in the starting line-up after he was rested against Doncaster in the Capital One Cup on Tuesday night.

Defender Shaun Hutchinson remains suspended so caretaker boss Kit Symons could otherwise name an unchanged side as he looks to build on their 2-1 midweek win and secure Fulham's first league victory of the season.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9489438/championship-birmingham-city-v-fulham-team-news?

WhiteJC

Birmingham v Fulham

Venue: St Andrew's Date: Saturday, 27 September Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Coverage: Watch highlights on The Football League Show; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS

Birmingham have been boosted by the return of defender Grant Hall (groin) and forward Denny Johnstone (thigh).

Midfielder Oliver Lee is available after a hamstring problem, but Koby Arthur (hamstring) and Lee Novak (knee) are unavailable.

Striker Matt Smith returns for Fulham after serving a three-game suspension.

Captain Scott Parker will return to the starting line-up after being rested in midweek, but defender Shaun Hutchinson is banned for the visitors.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-Head
•   Fulham won the last meeting 2-0 at St Andrew's in the Premier League in May 2011.
•   The Cottagers are unbeaten in the last three meetings, winning two. Birmingham's last win was 1-0 at St Andrew's in the Premier League in November 2009.
•   Fulham have won only one of the last four meetings at St Andrew's, drawing one and losing two.

Birmingham
•   Birmingham have not won any of their past seven games in all competitions, losing three. Their last win was 1-0 against Brighton at home in the Championship on 16 August.
•   Blues have not won any of their last four home games in all competitions, losing two.

Fulham
•   Fulham are yet to win in the league this season, drawing one and losing seven of their eight games. Their only point was gained in a 1-1 draw against Cardiff at home on 30 August.
•   The Cottagers have won only one of their five away games in all competitions this season, losing the other four.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29289509

WhiteJC

Next Up: Birmingham City

Kit Symons takes on his former teammate Lee Clark when Fulham travel to the Midlands to face Birmingham City on Saturday (3pm).

The opposition

Having avoided relegation on the final day of last season, Birmingham are struggling this time around, too, with just one league win to their name so far.

Those three points arrived in their second game of 2014/15, when Wes Thomas' strike early in the second half at St Andrew's sent Brighton & Hove Albion away empty handed.

The campaign has been far from a disaster, though, as Blues have secured a healthy four draws – with half of them away from home. The most recent of which came at Carrow Road last time out, although Birmingham may be frustrated to have left with just a point after taking a two-goal lead into half-time, only to draw 2-2.

Clark has been in charge at City since June 2012, and Saturday will see him face Fulham as a manager for the first time. During a six-year spell with the Whites, the all-action midfielder made 178 appearances, scoring 22 times, and also held the Captain's armband for a period.

Team news

Olly Lee, Denny Johnstone and Grant Hall are all available for selection again having returned to training, but the match comes too soon for Neal Eardley, Gavin Gunning, Matt Green, Lee Novak and Koby Arthur.

Inside the camp

Lee Clark is rooting for Kit Symons to get the Fulham Manager's job on a full-time basis, but hopes his former Whites teammate slips up at the weekend.

Speaking to City's official website, Clark said: "Things haven't gone the way they wanted but they've now got a guy in charge that I know really well in Kit Symons.

"I played with Kit and he's a terrific leader and a great guy. He knows the Club inside out and I think that's what Fulham need - someone that has a relationship with the supporters.

"But I need to put a spanner in Kit's audition for the job. After Saturday, though, I wish him all the best in his efforts to get the job."

Player to watch

Demarai Gray: He may only have turned 18 this summer, yet Demarai Gray is fast become a crucial member of the Birmingham City squad. A local lad, he joined the academy as an under-11 and progressed through the age groups until he made his debut for the first team as a substitute in a 4-0 win over Millwall last October. He now has 16 appearances for Blues to his name, and scored his first goal of the current season in last week's 2-2 draw at Norwich City. A pacey winger, his dribbling skills and technique on the ball have the fans at St Andrew's excited at his potential.

Marathonbet match odds

Birmingham City: 48/25

Draw: 12/5

Fulham: 8/5

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/september/26/next-up-birmingham?

WhiteJC

Collins wants stability at Fulham

John Collins has called for stability at Fulham and backed former Cottagers team-mate Kit Symons for the job.

The former Craven Cottage midfielder wants unity at the club after they sacked Felix Magath following their disastrous start this season. Fulham go to Birmingham on Saturday winless in the Sky Bet Championship with just one point from their first eight games. Symons has been in caretaker charge since Magath left last week and lost his first game 1-0 to Blackburn but beat Doncaster 2-1 in the League Cup on Tuesday. Celtic assistant manager Collins made 79 appearances for the club during a three-year spell, where he played with Symons, before he retired in 2003 and wants calm at the Cottage. "They need stability. They need a manager and stick with their manager and of course they need results," said the former Monaco and Scotland ace. "They need everyone at the club to stick together, players and whoever comes in. "If Kit gets the job, and I played with Kit and he is a great guy, I would be delighted to see him get it. "But they need to get a manager in and have some consistency. At this moment in time they need everybody to stick together at the club and hopefully they will get their first win soon and climb up the league. "I had three years at Fulham and thoroughly enjoyed my time there so hopefully I will see them turn the corner soon."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/collins-wants-stability-at-fulham-1741770.html?

WhiteJC

HEAD-TO-HEAD: Demarai Gray vs Patrick Roberts - Which Championship prospect is best?

Which promising Championship youngster will have the biggest impact in the game between Birmingham City and Fulham.

Patrick Roberts and Demarai Gray have been two of the standout youth prospects in the Championship this season, and they face off on Saturday.

17-year-old Roberts has reportedly drawn interest from a number of top Premier League clubs following his exploits in the FA Youth Cup last season, whilst the Blues rejected an offer from Crystal Palace for 18-year-old Gray, with the London cub trying to steal their prize asset away from St Andrews

Both youngsters are forwards, usually occupying the flanks for their respective teams, with Roberts predominately right-sided and Gray featuring heavily on the left.

Despite a series of impressive performances from the youngsters, both Birmingham and Fulham have struggled this season - the Blues winning just once, whilst the Cottagers have yet to pick up three points.

They face off at St Andrews on Saturday, and we take a look at which young star will have the biggest impact in deciding the outcome of the game.

Mins Played   Goals   Assists   Key Passes   Dribbles   Touches   Appearances
Demarai Gray   259   1   0   3   8   133   6
Patrick Roberts   243   0   1   5   12   176   7
Both forwards have featured for a roughly similar amount of time this season, although Roberts has less minutes under his belt, despite starring in one game more than his Second City counterpart.

And despite having featured for a shorter spell, Roberts has been the most effective this season, although Gray is the only one of the pair to have netted a goal this season. One assist, five key passes and 12 dribbles in the England Under-19 international's favour show him to be the most effective, withstanding his ongoing goal drought.

Roberts also gets himself involved in games more, touching the ball 176 times to Gray's 133.

It is unfortunate that both forwards are playing for sides who are struggling to convert chances this season, with the Cottagers scoring just six goals in eight games this season, whilst the Blues have one further strike to their tally. Despite this, they have managed to cement their reputations as two of the most talented youngsters in English football at this moment in time, and it remains to be seen how the duo fare when included in first-team set ups that complement their attacking abilities.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/09/26/head-to-head-demarai-gray-vs-patrick-roberts-which-championshi/?

WhiteJC

Fulham Capital One Cup Fourth Round Match Date Confirmed

Match date and kick-off time confirmed for Derby's trip to Craven Cottage.

The match date and kick-off time for Derby County's Capital One Cup Fourth Round tie at Fulham has been confirmed.

The Rams were handed a trip to their fellow Sky Bet Championship rivals in Wednesday evening's draw, having defeated Reading 2-0 at the iPro Stadium 24 hours beforehand.

Derby will travel to Craven Cottage to compete for a place in the Quarter Finals of the competition on Tuesday 28th October 2014, kick-off 8pm.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/fulham-capital-one-cup-fourth-round-match-date-confirmed-1415-1968055.aspx#M4eoFkTOH5I99Y04.99

WhiteJC

Fulham boss: Confidence is fragile, but is coming back

Kit Symons believes that Fulham are starting to find new confidence in themselves, and he wants that turned into good performances.

The Cottagers have yet to win a Championship game this season, although they have progressed into the League Cup fourth round with two victories.

Sitting bottom of the table, head coach Felix Magath was sacked last week, and was replaced by former Academy coach Kit Symons.

The Welshman failed to provide an immediate spark, losing 1-0 at home to Blackburn Rovers, although he successfully overcame a tricky tie with Doncaster Rovers midweek - winning 2-1 after an impressive first-half performance.

The Blackburn game showed on-pitch improvements though, with the Cottagers only going down to a fortuitous goal scored by Jordan Rhodes. The West Londoners all but controlled the game in the second half, but nerves showed, and mistakes started to take hold.

The Doncaster game was similar, but Fulham's early lead remained, although a late penalty save from Marcus Bettinelli was all that prevented the tie heading into extra-time.

The game proved that Fulham could hold on to games, and Symons believes that it has gone a long way to repairing the shattered confidence amongst the Cottagers ranks.

Speaking to the official Fulham website, the caretaker boss said: "Confidence is a very fragile thing.

"That was quite evident at times against Blackburn, there wasn't quite the fluidity that the players are capable of and we want to achieve.

"But we actually had better possession in the second half, whilst a man light, and we passed the ball better and created better chances, better opportunities.

"We were in the game, and I said to the players, and I honestly believed, that I expected to get get something from it - and we very nearly did.

"That's what we are capable of doing, and as the confidence builds, which it is on a daily basis, the belief will come back into the players game."

Fulham travel to Birmingham on Saturday, looking to record a first Championship win of the season - a win that could go a long way in helping the Cottagers catalyse their season.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/09/26/fulham-boss-confidence-is-fragile-but-is-coming-back/?

WhiteJC

Stat Attack - Birmingham (a)

Can Fulham, at the ninth attempt, get their first Championship win of the season?

Here at Vital Fulham we certainly hope that is the case.

But ahead of the fixture at St Andrews, we`ve a few statistics for you to mull over;-

1 - The last meeting between the two sides was back in May 2011 when Fulham emerged 2-0 victors.

2 - Trips to St Andrews and in particular the last four, have seen Fulham only win 1, drawing 1 more and losing the other 2.

3 - Fulham head north with only 1 draw from 8 games this season, having lost the other 7.

4 - Birmingham`s run of form is as bad as ours with our hosts not having won any of their last 7 games in all competitions.

5 - At St Andrews, Birmingham have drawn 2 of the last 4 and lost the other 2

COYW`s

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=371753#ixzz3EVKHglft

WhiteJC

Released Fulham star and Greek hero Giorgos Karagounis retires

The 37-year-old midfielder, who also spent time at Inter Milan and Panathinaikos and was released by Fulham last summer, has retired from football.

Giorgos Karagounis has brought the curtain down on his playing career after the 37-year-old midfielder announced plans to retire from playing and take up a role with the Greece national team.

The former Inter Milan midfielder, who also played for Benfica, was a key component of the Ethniki team that upset the odds to win the European Championship in 2004, beating Portugal, France and the Czech Republic en route to lifting the trophy in Lisbon.

Karagounis also helped the national team to progress to the quarter finals of the 2012 European Championships in Ukraine and Poland as well as playing a part in their march to the second round of the World Cup in Brazil last summer.

Without a club since his release by Fulham at the end of last season, it has now been revealed that the player is set to link up with national team coach Claudio Ranieri in an as yet unspecified role with the Piratiko.

Greece's most capped player of all time, Karagounis made 139 appearances for the national side, with the last of these coming in their penalty shootout defeat at the hands of Costa Rica in last summer's finals.

He was released by Fulham after playing 39 Premier League games for the Cottagers, scoring twice for the London club along the way.

A popular figure at former club Panathinaikos, Karagounis will hope to turn around Greece's current qualification campaign for Euro 2016 in France, which started badly with a home defeat at the hands of Romania.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/09/26/released-fulham-star-and-greece-hero-karagounis-retires/?

WhiteJC

Cardiff City vs Fulham, Geddit?

Neil Lennon has emerged as one of the favourites for the vacant managers job at Cardiff City following the resignation of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, according to Oddschecker.

Lennon has been without a job since his resignation from his position at Celtic after the Northern Irishman felt he needed a new challenge, a very justifiable cliche in his case.

Managing in the Championship tasked with trying to get Cardiff back into the Premier League is the kind of challenge Lennon has admitted he would be interested in. He told BBC Radio 5 live

However, another lucrative positions remains unfulfilled in the Championship as Fulham search for Felix Magath's successor and they too interest Lennon.

They are two excellent clubs. Would I be interested in managing either of them? Of Course I would."

Neil Lennon's choice may come down to which regime he would contemplate working with as owners of both clubs have tainted reputations. At Cardiff, Vincent Tan's almost non-existent relationship with the fans coupled with his abrasive attitude, makes the managerial position at Cardiff an awkward working environment instantaneously .

Shahid Khan at Fulham is hardly the ideal man to work with either, after all, he is the man who replaced Rene Meulensteen with Felix Magath whilst claiming the Dutchman hadn't been sacked. The move further calls into question the owners footballing knowledge once you hear the odd behaviors of Magath and how some of his players nicknamed him "Sadam".

Lennon may have boosted his reputation during his recent stint as a pundit on Sky Sports as fans got to see his take on both the transfer window and the technical side of the game. Lennon did himself no harm as he displayed his deep footballing knowledge with excellent and insightful analysis.

If Neil Lennon was looking for a 'challenge', these two clubs will certainly provide that in abundance, whether he's be willing to take these specific challenges on is another matter.

http://threeandin.com/cardiff-city-vs-fulham-gedditnocache1/?

WhiteJC

Birmingham City: Three Fulham players to watch

The lowdown on the Fulham danger-men

Fulham's Scott Parker (right) and West Brom's James Morrison
Ahead of Birmingham City's clash with Fulham we decided to seek out our Southern colleagues to give us the inside track on The Cottagers.

Matt Lewis, reporter for GetWestLondon, said: "Fulham haven't played well by any stretch of the imagination this season but Scott Parker remains a vital cog in the midfield engine room and has put in some decent performances.

"I think everybody knows what Scott brings and he has big game experience with England and Tottenham. He takes his role as captain seriously is a brilliant professional. Scott is a fine example to the rest of Fulham's young squad.

"Bryan Ruiz came back into the fold on Saturday against Blackburn and he scored in Tuesday night's Capital One Cup win over Doncaster. It was a win they badly needed and in many ways the cup came at just the right time for them given their dismal league showings.

"Ruiz excelled for Costa Rica at the World Cup and I think most Whites fans were surprised to see him at Cottage again this season. He looked to find a way out but a move never materialised and he now says he is fully committed to getting them out of trouble.

"Dan Burn, who wore the captain's armband against Donny and got on the scoresheet in the 2-1 win, is also one to look out for. I'm sure he will be relishing coming up against one of his old clubs and has become a towering presence in the Whites defence."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/birmingham-city-three-fulham-players-7837432?