watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Am i a food snob ?

Started by Sammyffc, October 01, 2014, 07:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammyffc

Right , first things first am i a food snob ? personally i don't think i am .. but am i ?

Im one of these people who refuses to make lunch in the morning for work , the smell of lunchbox has haunted me from my schooldays and has put me off for life  :016: , but everyday i end up going to boots, greggs or another main department store and buy my meal deal a sandwich , bottle of drink and a snack.
              BUT yesterday was different , i didn't have time , so my friend at work went to the shop for me at lunch, we have a Londis round the corner from us ( a londis for my american friends is a small convenience store ) . So he came back to me with this ham salad sandwich , people who have been to nisa, londis in there life will know they sell these weird sandwiches sitting in a lonely fridge with packet onion bhajis , somosa's and milkshakes. I was disgusted , absolutely disgusted when it landed on my desk , i couldn't bring myself to eat it  - here are my reasons

1 - its been made in a random country and shipped in 40 lorrys to england
2 - its been sitting in a dingy cupboard in a shop cellar for weeks
3 - the ham will taste like rubber

Am i a food snob ?  fp.gif Is there actually anything wrong with these Own brand Londis sandwiches ? Should i feel bad i put this 99p sandwich in the bin ?

:Get Coat gif:

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Don't make your lunch in the morning, get the girl friend to put some stuff in a Marks and Spencers bag in the evening, tape it up and then make your lunch at lunch time.
Wear dark glasses in the morning and you won't even see it
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Jimpav

I'm with you on this one. A sandwich should be made with love and care.

A processed, withered, chilled unloved sandwich will never do it for me. So much so that I wouldn't normally consider Sainsburys or Boots etc

Would have to be from Pret or a deli where they make it in front of you. Better still made by myself.

That said I gave up buying lunch out when I took on a bigger mortgage. Either make my own or have leftovers from the night before.

ron

Quote from: Sammyffc on October 01, 2014, 07:34:50 PM
Right , first things first am i a food snob ? personally i don't think i am .. but am i ?

Im one of these people who refuses to make lunch in the morning for work , the smell of lunchbox has haunted me from my schooldays and has put me off for life  :016: , but everyday i end up going to boots, greggs or another main department store and buy my meal deal a sandwich , bottle of drink and a snack.
              BUT yesterday was different , i didn't have time , so my friend at work went to the shop for me at lunch, we have a Londis round the corner from us ( a londis for my american friends is a small convenience store ) . So he came back to me with this ham salad sandwich , people who have been to nisa, londis in there life will know they sell these weird sandwiches sitting in a lonely fridge with packet onion bhajis , somosa's and milkshakes. I was disgusted , absolutely disgusted when it landed on my desk , i couldn't bring myself to eat it  - here are my reasons

1 - its been made in a random country and shipped in 40 lorrys to england
2 - its been sitting in a dingy cupboard in a shop cellar for weeks
3 - the ham will taste like rubber

Am i a food snob ?  fp.gif Is there actually anything wrong with these Own brand Londis sandwiches ? Should i feel bad i put this 99p sandwich in the bin ?

:Get Coat gif:

You're lucky that any sandwiches made it here from over there without being eaten by the folk you find in the back of the lorries these days !

Big Martin Jol

No, that's perfectly acceptable. Freshness and good quality base ingredients are key in a sandwich.

Personally, I tend to avoid sandwiches that start at under £2.50 - unless it's about 7pm at M&S Food and they're looking to get rid, in which case you can safely lower your retail price threshold.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

nose

you have to at least give it a chance and have a bite. if it's no good then sling it, but don't just chuck it because of the label.

ron

I personally avoid sandwiches at lunchtime, preferring instead to go for something hot in the microwaveable line. £2 to £3 plus a few minutes in a microwave invested in a ready made meal sets you up a lot better for the afternoon.

...and surely most workplaces have a micro these days?