watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (04/10/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 04, 2014, 07:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Middlesbrough v Fulham: Three Boro' stars who could leave the Whites looking pale

We identify a Boro' trio capable of causing problems for Kit Symons' side

Captain Marvel: Grant Leadbitter (left)
Middlesbrough's skipper has certainly led by example this season - and he is now out to lead his side to victory over Fulham on Saturday.

Grant Leadbitter is the man who gets Aitor Karanka's side going and he is not just supplying the ammunition but firing on all cylinders himself.

That's according to Jonathon Taylor at the Evening Gazette, who believes Leadbitter could hold the key to unlocking the Whites, who have the joint worst defence in the Championship along with Huddersfield having conceded 20 goals.

Taylor said: "Leadbitter is Boro's captain fantastic has found his shooting boots this season and leads the club's scoring charts, having found the net seven times from midfield already this season.

"His box-to-box style means he is the one who makes Boro' tick, and is almost certain to start alongside either Adam Clayton or Dean Whitehead in central midfield."

The next player identified by Taylor has not just caught the eye of the Boro' fans but also Premier League sides it seems.

Supplier: Adam Reach (second left) shoots against Liverpool
Reports have been circulating that 21-year-old left-winger Adam Reach is being monitored by teams in the top flight as he continues to impress at the Riverside.

Taylor said: "Following a good pre-season Reach has started almost every game for Boro' and is clearly liked by Aitor Karanka.

"As a result the youngster is tasked with a very important job in the Boro' machine -  supplying quality service for front men Kike and Patrick Bamford.

And it is indeed striker Kike, or to give him his full name Enrique Garcia Martinez, who Taylor has picked out as his third star man.

The summer signing from Segunda Division side Real Murcia has found the net five times in all competitions this season.

Spanish star: Kike
And according to Taylor the £2.7m recruit has taken to Championship life 'like a duck to water'.

He added: "Kike is an all-round front man. He's good in the air, has good movement and is clinical in front of goal. Give him a chance at your peril."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-v-fulham-three-boro-7873595?

WhiteJC

Fulham: Dan Burn backs Kit Symons for manager's job

Fulham defender Dan Burn has backed caretaker boss Kit Symons to be appointed manager permanently.

Symons has won three of his four matches in charge of the Cottagers following the sacking of Felix Magath.

"Kit has changed the club round and is not really doing a lot wrong at the minute," Burn told BBC London 94.9.

"Kit is a great guy and only wants what is best for the club. At the moment, personally I think the right man is him and I'm sure a lot of the fans do."

The 22-year-old centre-back added: "The chairman (Shahid Khan) has got a five-man committee and is working hard to make sure we have got the right manager.

"We'll have to wait and see what the chairman decides."

German Magath was unable to save the club from relegation from the Premier League last season and was dismissed last month after the team picked up just one point from their opening seven games in the Championship.

Symons, who made over 100 appearances for Fulham during three years as a player at Craven Cottage, lost his first game in caretaker charge against Blackburn but has since picked up consecutive wins over Birmingham and Bolton, as well as leading the side to victory over Doncaster in the League Cup.

Fulham caretaker manager Kit Symons:
"It is a brilliant opportunity for me. I'm obviously well and truly in the mix for it but the panel and the owner will pick the right person for the job."

Burn believes there are numerous reasons for their upturn under former Wales Symons.

"You can't pinpoint one thing. A lot of things were going wrong at the time," he said.

"Different personnel were playing and Kit has come in, lifted the players and everyone is enjoying training and playing.

"Bryan Ruiz didn't play at the start of the season, Hugo Rodallega is now playing with a smile on his face, and Fernando Amorebieta has come in and been absolutely solid."

Symons, who has previously coached Fulham's Under-21 side, has declared his interest in taking the role permanently and Fulham chairman Khan has confirmed the 43-year-old is in the running for the job.

Symons saw his Fulham side move up to 22nd in the Championship table after beating Bolton 4-0 at Craven Cottage on Wednesday

However, Khan has appointed a panel which comprises former players Danny Murphy and Brian McBride, plus ex-Sunderland striker Niall Quinn, academy boss Huw Jennings and fan David Daly to help him appoint a new manager.

Former Fulham boss Chris Coleman, now in charge of Wales, has given his support to Symons, saying that "Fulham needs someone like Kit, who absolutely loves the club at heart".

After Wednesday's 4-0 win at home to Bolton, which lifted Fulham to within two points of safety, Symons said he was "loving every minute" of being caretaker manager.

"I look forward to every game I am in charge and it is a brilliant opportunity for me," he said.

"I know all the people at the club and am getting to know the players better and better. I'm obviously well and truly in the mix for it but the panel and the owner will pick the right person for the job.

"This football club needs the right person in charge and needs to drive forward and move up the table."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29460485

WhiteJC

Hoogland: Standard Set

Tim Hoogland was delighted with the Whites' display on Wednesday, and has urged his side to carry on that form for as long as possible.

Bolton Wanderers had no response to Fulham's four goals at the Cottage in what was the team's strongest display for some time, leaving the home dressing a very positive place to be.

"It's absolutely amazing," Hoogland told fulhamfc.com. "A win like that has been a long time coming, but now we have our first home win and we're very happy about that.

"We set a high standard on Wednesday and now we have to do this every week, and then it will be difficult to beat us.

"This is very important for the whole season, that we had a clean sheet and scored four goals, and it's a little bit better for our goal difference."

In Kit Symons' three games in charge prior to the Wanderers win, one half of each match was noticeably better from a Fulham perspective, but the team maintained their high tempo from the first 45 against Bolton when they emerged after the break, and were duly rewarded.

It was an issue that was addressed ahead of the fixture, as Hoogland explained: "This is what we talked about inside the dressing room over the last few days; that we have to keep it up for 90 minutes.

"I think against Bolton it was great in both halves and I'm absolutely happy with how it went. We will continue to develop every day."

Of those wagering at the start of the season as to who would be leading the Club's goalscoring charts by the start of October, it's unlikely that many would have opted for our new right-back-cum-defensive midfielder.

But the 29-year-old is currently enjoying the most prolific season of his career, averaging a goal almost every other game in the league. Did he ever imagine he'd have four goals to his name by 1st October?

"I thought I'd have six or seven!" Hoogland joked. "No, absolutely not. At the beginning I just wanted to play as often as possible.

"Now I've played every game from the beginning, I scored four goals and have one assist, so it couldn't be better. We've played 10 games now so four goals in 10 games is like a striker! It's just the number of points isn't what we all expected."

His sweetly struck effort against the Trotters on Wednesday was created by George Williams, and Hoogland was full of praise for the Wales international, along with his fellow substitutes Patrick Roberts and Cauley Woodrow.

"You saw the energy they brought," he said. "I think it was good for them to come in the game when the score was like this so they can play a little bit with more confidence, and they showed this. All three did a great job on Wednesday.

"With my goal, I wanted to shoot in the corner, in the side, and it was just perfect – everything was exactly how it should be."

The three points in midweek was Fulham's third successive win – something that hasn't happened since February/March 2012 when Stoke City, Queens Park Rangers and Wolverhampton Wanderers were put to the sword.

"I didn't know this before," Hoogland said when informed how long it had been. "Yeah, it's great, but it's just the beginning.

"We have one more game before the break and I hope we can get three points again and then we will have four wins. I don't know when Fulham last won four games in a row!"

Victory over Middlesbrough at the Riverside on Saturday would likely take Fulham out of the relegation zone, and there's no doubt in Hoogland's mind that the team will shoot up the table if they can maintain this momentum.

"I think it was so massively important to get that first home win," he explained. "You can see that the confidence is really coming.

"We're happy and we're having fun in training and in the games – you saw that on Wednesday – and I think we're a team for the top of this league, absolutely."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/03/hoogland-standard-set?

WhiteJC

Fulham Form No Surprise To Boro Defender Ben

Londoners start to show signs of life...
Fulham will arrive at the Riverside on Saturday as a team suddenly starting to live up to the pre-season expectations.

After a disastrous start to the campaign led to the departure of recently appointed Head Coach Felix Magath, the London side head to Teesside on the back of three straight wins.

Under the guidance of caretaker boss Kit Symons, Fulham beat Doncaster in the Capital One Cup, won 2-1 at Birmingham City, and followed that with a 4-0 mauling of Bolton in midweek.

"That was always going to happen," said Boro's England Under-21 international defender Ben Gibson.

"You would expect Fulham to go on a run at some point. They have a strong squad, and they have Premiership players.

"We'll try and deploy the tactics the gaffer wants, press them high and hopefully get some goals."

Boro are unbeaten since the last international break and having recorded back-to-back wins at Huddersfield and Cardiff, Aitor Karanka's side go into the game on the back of three successive draws, at Liverpool and Charlton, and at home against lowly Blackpool.

"You can't enjoy being in a good moment too much because a smack around the face is just around the corner, and that came on Tuesday for us," added Ben.

Read more at http://www.mfc.co.uk/news/article/2014/021014-fulham-form-no-surprise-to-boro-defender-ben-1985078.aspx#HX68dgpJAJhDZqPR.99

WhiteJC

Matchfile: Boro v Fulham

Boro go into tomorrow's game on the back of consecutive draws - but are unbeaten in five league matches following an excellent September

Tuesday's disappointing home draw with Blackpool was not part of the Boro script, but Aitor Karanka's side still find themselves only three points from top spot in the Championship.

Boro go into Saturday's game on the back of consecutive draws against the Tangerines and Charlton, but are unbeaten in five league matches following an excellent September.

The Teessiders aren't an easy prospect for any side, highlighted during the penalty shootout defeat at Liverpool, and with Boro having only conceded three goals in their last six Championship clashes, Fulham will have to be at their attacking best tomorrow.

At the other end of the pitch, Boro showed plenty of promise during their 4-0 battering of Brentford - and they will be keen to return to their scintillating best following Tuesday's drab 1-1 stalemate at the Riverside.

Three wins on the bounce means that everything is looking a little bit brighter for Fulham under caretaker manager Kit Symons.

Although the Cottagers still sit in the Championship relegation zone, few neutrals would expect them to stay there for very long following the popular sacking of quirky German gaffer Felix Magath.

Wednesday's 4-0 drubbing of Bolton was a big result for Fulham and their first clean sheet since April.

Beating Doncaster in the Capital One Cup was followed up with a 2-1 win at Birmingham, and if Symons can lead Fulham to a fourth consecutive win tomorrow, any fears of a relegation scrap would surely evaporate.

Probable line-ups

Injury news
Boro will give late fitness tests to Adam Clayton (illness) and Jelle Vossen (hamstring) but remain hopeful both will be fit enough to play tomorrow.

Dean Whitehead and Albert Adomah will return following their respective suspensions, while Kenneth Omeruo should also start after being an unused substitute on Tuesday.

Albert Adomah pleads with the referee after seeing red 
However, club captain Jonathan Woodgate (hamstring) remains on the sidelines alongside long-term absentees Mustapha Carayol (cruciate) and Rhys Williams (Achilles).

Fulham welcome back Shaun Hutchinson following his suspension but Adam Taggart (groin) will miss out.

The thoughts of the boss
"I have the same thoughts about Fulham now that I had at the start of the season - at the end of the season they will be in the highest positions.

"Now, they are playing how everyone expected them to.

"In the past they have had problems, but now they are playing like the squad they are.

Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka 
"They have very good players.

"Most of them are Premier League players and it is going to be a difficult game, but sometimes when we play against those kinds of teams we play better.

"I think everybody is fit. Apart from Damia Abella and Jonathan Woodgate everybody is ready to play on Saturday.

"We have learned from Tuesday's game against Blackpool and it's now in the past.

"If we want to do something this season we have to think about the future.

"For this reason I am sure we have learned something from the game."

Opposition's view
Fulham caretaker manager Kit Symons has set his sights on climbing the Championship table on the back of an impressive recent run.

He said: "We've got three wins on the spin and I can't remember the last time we managed to achieve that as a football club so it's brilliant, but we're taking small steps.

Kit Symons 
"We're still down at the wrong end of the table and we need to work our way up.

"When I took over, my two things I really wanted to focus on was galvanising the club, getting everyone together, and winning games of football - and I think I'm doing that quite well at the moment."

Who's the dangerman?
Following a massive £11m move to Fulham from Leeds United in the summer, it's safe to say everyone expected Ross McCormack to hit the ground running at Craven Cottage.

But often finding himself thrown out on the wing under former manager Felix Magath, the Scot has only found the net three times for his new employers - with both of his league goals coming in a 5-3 defeat at Nottingham Forest.

Under caretaker boss Kit Symons Fulham look to be a different proposition however, and with the team scoring four against Bolton on Wednesday, it looks to be only a matter of time before McCormack gets back on the goal trail.

Ross McCormack 

What's the form?
BORO'S LAST FIVE

Sep 30 (h) BLACKPOOL D 1-1

Sep 27 (a) CHARLTON D 0-0

Sep 23 (a) LIVERPOOL D 2-2 LC

Sep 20 (h) BRENTFORD W 4-0

Sep 16 (a) CARDIFF W 1-0

Last five homes: 1-1, 4-0, 0-1, 3-1, 2-3

FULHAM'S LAST FIVE

Oct 1 (h) BOLTON W 4-0

Sep 27 (a) B'HAM W 2-1

Sep 23 (h) DONCASTER W 2-1 LC

Sep 20 (h) B'BURN L 0-1

Sep 17 (a) N'FOREST L 3-5

Last five aways: 2-1, 3-5, 0-3, 1-0, 1-5

Who's the man in the middle?
Darren Drysdale will take charge of a Boro game for the first time this season.

The Lincolnshire whistler's last outing at the Riverside was a 3-1 win over Barnsley in April, with Lee Tomlin's brace and a Danny Graham goal relegating the Tykes.

Players who have worn both shirts
The following players have represented both Boro and Fulham: Nicky Bailey, Arthur Brown, Jacky Carr, Mark Crossley, Jonathan Greening, Sean Kavanagh (Boro triallist), George Malcolm, Franck Queudrue, Mark Schwarzer, Mark Taylor, Willie Wardrope. Coaching connections: George Armstrong, Don Mackay, Bob Dennison, Mike Kelly

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/matchfile-you-need-know-boro-7872681?

WhiteJC

Fulham midfielder assesses his season so far and takes aim at Middlesbrough

Lasse Vigen Christensen. (Photo by Mike Hewitt/Getty Images)

Lasse Vigen Christensen is braced for a tough test as Fulham prepare to face Middlesbrough tomorrow.

The Whites are still in the Championship relegation zone, despite their 4-0 win over fellow strugglers Bolton, while Boro sit in eighth – a point outside the play-offs.

The Teesiders have been inconsistent so far this season; producing a scintillating performance against Brentford as well as taking Liverpool to penalties in the Capital One Cup – losing 14-13.

However, they have also struggled to beat weaker sides like Blackpool – drawing to them on Tuesday night.

Despite that, the Dane believes that Middlesbrough will provide a tough test for his side.

"I watched the highlights of the Liverpool game," he said. "If you can play at Anfield against a team like that and their league form has been good as well.

"It's a strong team that will look to stay at the top. It's not going to be easy but we're confident we can go and get a result."

Christensen, who scored his first goal for the club in the victory over the Trotters, admitted that he is pleased with how his season, on a personal level has gone.

The Denmark Under-21 international has played every minute of Kit Symons' time in temporary charge and feels like a first-team footballer.

"I wanted to be in this position and I wanted to play," he said. "I wanted to come in and show what I can do. I turned 20 in August and feel like now is the time.

"I'm so happy I've played four full games now. It's great for me and for my development."

But he is not going to rest on his laurels and the 20-year-old is aiming to continue his strong performances to keep his place in the team.

"I like to set a few targets and I'm trying to chase them down," he explained.

"My target was to get into the team and now I'm in the team.

"Now it's just to perform well and play as many games as I can, stay fit, keep my confidence high now going into the next few games and hopefully I can keep playing."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/fulham_midfielder_assesses_his_season_so_far_and_takes_aim_at_middlesbrough_1_3792793

WhiteJC

Banned duo back for Boro

Middlesbrough boss Aitor Karanka will welcome back midfielders Dean Whitehead and Albert Adomah from suspension for Saturday's Sky Bet Championship clash with Fulham.

Both men missed the 1-1 draw with Blackpool on Tuesday evening with Whitehead completing a three-match ban and Adomah sitting out after being sent off for two bookable offences in the 0-0 draw at Charlton last weekend.

Karanka should also have midfielders Grant Leadbitter and Adam Clayton available after Leadbitter had stitches put into a head wound in midweek and Clayton had to leave the field through illness.

However, central defender Jonathan Woodgate, who has made just one senior appearance all season, will be missing once again with a thigh problem.

Shaun Hutchinson returns from suspension for Fulham but faces a battle to win his place back in the starting line-up.

The defender has served a three-match ban following his red card against Blackburn last month, but Fulham have won all three games in his absence including Wednesday night's thumping 4-0 victory over Bolton.

Caretaker boss Kit Symons is set to stick with that side, meaning deadline-day signing Matt Smith will have to settle for a place on the bench again following his recent return from suspension.

Fellow striker Adam Taggart is still out with a back problem while winger Ryan Williams has joined Barnsley on a one-month loan deal.

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/english-league-championship/story/2068566/banned-duo-back-for-boro?

WhiteJC

Football Remembers

Football is to commemorate the centenary of one of the most iconic moments of the First World War – the 1914 Christmas Truce football match – with a week of remembrance activity in December 2014.

'Football Remembers Week' will take place from 6-14 December. A collaboration between the Premier League, The FA, the Football League and the British Council, its aim is to engage football fans about what took place on Christmas Day 1914 in Flanders, Belgium.

Among the activities taking place in Football Remembers Week are:

A Moment in History
For the matches that take place in the Barclays Premier League, the Sky Bet Championship and the FA Cup Second Round from December 6-8, all 22 players who start the match will pose together in a group photograph as a mark of respect to those that played in the 1914 Christmas Truce match. The pictures will be uploaded to a special website.
Fans, teams and schools will be asked to upload their pre-match pictures to the same site via social media over the course of Football Remembers Week. Any match of any size can be uploaded, from school to Sunday league fixtures, five-a-side matches to kickabouts in the back garden.
The site shall act as a moment of record of football in 2014, a century on from the First World War, and will be preserved for future generations.
Christmas Truce Memorial unveil
The UK's first memorial to the Christmas Truce will officially unveiled.
The newly commissioned memorial, designed by a ten year-old Newcastle schoolboy as part of nationwide competition (see below), will reside permanently at National Memorial Arboretum in Staffordshire.
Christmas Truce International Tournament in Ypres
The Premier League has held this annual tournament in Ypres, the home of the Christmas Truce, for U12 footballers since 2011. 
This will be the first Christmas Truce International Tournament to be played on a new 3G pitch that the Premier League has gifted to the city of Ypres.
Ten teams will play in the tournament: two each from the Premier League, German Bundesliga, French Ligue 1, Belgium Pro League, and one each from Scotland and Austria
To commemorate the sacrifices made by soldiers from around the world there will be a community tournament made up of players for Premier League Kicks projects at home and around the world.
An educational and culture programme accompanies the tournament as the players visit the site of the original Christmas truce site, Commonwealth and German war graves, preserved trenches and lay wreaths at the Last Post Ceremony at the Menin Gate.
UK Parliamentary Reception
To raise the profile of Football Remembers among Parliamentarians, Dan Jarvis, Labour MP for Barnsley Central and a former Major in the British Army, is hosting a reception at the House of Commons.

Football Remembers kicked off in May 2014 when the four partners launched a Football Remembers education pack that was sent to more than 30,000 schools across the UK. It includes resources to help children learn about the Truce – including eye-witness accounts, photos, drawings and letters from soldiers some of which have never been published before.

A key element of the Football Remembers education pack was a competition for schools and football academies to design a permanent Christmas Truce memorial for the National Memorial Arboretum.  The competition was judged by HRH The Duke of Cambridge – President of The FA – and Arsenal and England forward Theo Walcott.

The winning design was drawn by 10 year-old Spencer Turner from Farne Primary in Newcastle. The school is in the shadow of Newcastle United's St James' Park. Spencer was told by Newcastle United players Steven Taylor and Adam Armstrong that his design had won at special school assembly on Thursday 2 October.

Theo Walcott said: "I was truly honoured to be part of the Christmas Truce Memorial schools competition with HRH Duke of Cambridge.  The standard of entry was incredibly high and I enjoyed looking at the designs and even seeing one from my old school too!  Huge congratulations to Spencer whose design was very impressive and brings to life this moment of peace through football in wartime." 

An Exhibition of the 33 shortlisted entries is currently on display at St George's Park, having originally been shown at the National Memorial Arboretum.

Other Football Remembers activity taking place between now and the end of 2014 includes:

Christmas Truce Tournament qualifying competition, 14-16 November - U12 teams from all 20 PL clubs will come to Ypres in a qualifying competition for Christmas Truce International Tournament. This tournament is usually held in England, but for the 100th anniversary of the Christmas Truce all the teams are heading to Flanders for a weekend of education and elite football. The two teams that reach the final will represent the Premier League in the December tournament.
Football Remembers poster design competition with the National Football Museum - Young people are invited to create posters telling the stories of footballers who fought in the First World War and send them to the National Football Museum in Manchester https://schoolsonline.britishcouncil.org/classroom-resources/football-remembers/find-a-footballer
International fixtures - England footballers will also be supporting the Football Remembers project during their international get-together in November ahead of the men's fixture with Scotland on 18 November and the women's historic Wembley match against Germany on 23 November.
The FA and the Army FA – are working on joint activity involving their counterparts in Europe.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/02/football-remembers?

WhiteJC

Sky Bet Championship: Middlesbrough v Fulham team news

Dean Whitehead: Back from ban for Middlesbrough

Middlesbrough welcome back Dean Whitehead and Albert Adomah from suspension for Saturday's Sky Bet Championship clash with Fulham at the Riverside Stadium.

Both men missed the 1-1 draw with Blackpool on Tuesday evening, with Whitehead completing a three-match ban and Adomah sitting out after being sent off for two bookable offences in the 0-0 draw at Charlton last weekend.

Aitor Karanka should also have midfielders Grant Leadbitter and Adam Clayton available after Leadbitter had stitches put into a head wound in midweek and Clayton had to leave the field through illness.

However, central defender Jonathan Woodgate, who has made just one senior appearance all season, will be missing once again with a thigh problem.

Shaun Hutchinson returns from suspension for Fulham but faces a battle to win his place back in the starting line-up.

The defender has served a three-match ban following his red card against Blackburn last month, but Fulham have won all three games in his absence including Wednesday night's thumping 4-0 victory over Bolton.

Caretaker boss Kit Symons is set to stick with that side, meaning deadline-day signing Matt Smith will have to settle for a place on the bench again following his recent return from suspension.

Fellow striker Adam Taggart is still out with a back problem while winger Ryan Williams has joined Barnsley on a one-month loan deal.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/313894/preview?

WhiteJC

We are setting 'high standards', says Fulham star

Fulham recorded their first home win of the Championship season with a 4-0 victory over Bolton Wanderers.

Caretaker manager Kit Symons has overseen the change in form, winning two of the three games he has taken charge of.

A 2-1 victory at Birmingham on Saturday gave the Cottagers their first three points of the season, before a midweek destruction of Bolton took the West Londoners to seven points - just two points from safety.

Despite Bolton's weaknesses this season, with the Trotters currently sitting in the relegation places themselves, the performance put in by Fulham was undoubtedly their best display of the season, and a fourth goal of the season for Tim Hoogland capped the performance heading into the final 10 minutes of action.

Hoogland has been the Cottagers standout performer this season, and he told the official Fulham website how delighted he was with the victory, and the high standards being set in the last two games.

The former Schalke man said: "It's absolutely amazing.

A win like that has been a long time coming, but now we have our first home win and we're very happy about that.

"We set a high standard on Wednesday and now we have to do this every week, and then it will be difficult to beat us.

"This is very important for the whole season, that we had a clean sheet and scored four goals, and it's a little bit better for our goal difference."

Since the arrival of Symons, performances have noticeably improved from under the reign of former head coach Felix Magath, although the squad have managed to only uphold the better performances for one half of playing action. However, the victory over Bolton was the first full game that brought an improvement, and Hoogland revealed that the squad had been working on improving the consistency during match days.

The midfielder added: "This is what we talked about inside the dressing room over the last few days; that we have to keep it up for 90 minutes.

"I think against Bolton it was great in both halves and I'm absolutely happy with how it went. We will continue to develop every day."

Fulham will be looking to continue their strong run of form this weekend, with the Cottagers traveling to the Riverside Stadium on Saturday to face promotion chasing Middlesbrough.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/10/03/we-are-setting-high-standards-says-fulham-star/?

WhiteJC

Preview- Middlesbrough v Fulham

Fulham head to the Riverside in search of their third league win on the bounce.

The Cottagers have beaten both Birmingham and Bolton to record back-to-back wins for the first time this season.

The turn around has come since caretaker manager Kit Symons took charge of the club just before the Blackburn game.

One of the players benefitting from the change is Dan Burn and the imposing centre-back believes Symons should stay on as Fulham manager.

"Kit is a great guy and only wants what is best for the club. At the moment, personally I think the right man is him and I'm sure a lot of the fans do," Burn said.

Fulham finally looked like a confident side on Wednesday evening when they dispatched Bolton with a touch of Premier League quality. The hapless Trotters went down 4-0 in a game that highlighted their current problems.

Speaking of the vacant position, Symons said: "It is a brilliant opportunity for me. I'm obviously well and truly in the mix for it but the panel and the owner will pick the right person for the job."

Meanwhile Middlesbrough were left frustrated on Tuesday evening after a 1-1 draw with the bottom side Blackpool- a game that could cost them towards the end of the season, as Karanka has acknowledged: "These are the kind of games where, if we want to do something, we cannot lose points."

Fulham may have been struggling until just a few weeks ago but Aitor Karanka is wary of the London side:

"Getting the three points at home is always important, but it's going to be a very difficult game on Saturday," Karanka said
"Fulham are now playing the way we all expected them to when they were relegated because they have a squad full of Premier League players."

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/preview-middlesbrough-v-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Gianfranco Zola being lined up for Fulham job

FLW understands that Gianfranco Zola is being lined up for the manager's job at Fulham.

The 48-year-old Italian has been without a club since resigning from Sky Bet Championship side Watford on 16th December 2013.

According to FLW sources, Zola is joined by Kit Symons as the two main front-runners for the job at the London club.

Felix Magath was sacked from his post as Fulham manager last month, after an abysmal start to life in the second tier of English football.

Other than Watford, Zola has also managed West Ham United from 2008 to 2010, however he was sacked after leaving the Hammers in 17th place in the 2009/10 season.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/gianfranco-zola-being-lined-up-for-fulham-job/?

WhiteJC

Watford's Billy McKinlay backs Kit Symons to get Fulham manager's job

Backing: Former Fulham man McKlinay has been impressed by Symons

Billy McKinlay has backed Kit Symons for the Fulham job.

Symons has guided Fulham to three successive wins since being appointed Fulham caretaker following the dismissal of Felix Magath.

And he is being tipped for the job on a permanent basis after owner Shahid Khan appointed a five-man panel to help find a new boss after Magath's disastrous spell in charge.

That would be welcome news to McKinlay, who spent a decade as a coach at Craven Cottage before leaving last season and is now in charge at Watford. McKinlay said:  "I was at Fulham's 4-0 win against Bolton [on Wednesday] and they were outstanding.

"I think Kit is making a very good case for the job and I don't see any reason why, if he continues like that, they would look anywhere else."

Watford play Brighton tomorrow and McKinlay said: "I expect Brighton to play good football and they'll look to cause us some problems.

"Their pedigree has been high the last few seasons."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/watfords-billy-mckinlay-backs-kit-symons-to-get-fulham-managers-job-9772894.html

WhiteJC

Inside The Riverside

Ahead of Saturday's match on Teesside, Middlesbrough supporter Paul Emmett gives us the lowdown on his team.

It's been a decent start to the season for Boro – are you pleased with how the team has fared so far?

I'm pleased that after 10 games we're just three points off the top of the table and in the mix, but we really need to hit our stride soon and start convincingly beating teams, especially at home. It's difficult to keep a settled team from game to game in the Championship, what with the fixtures coming so thick and fast, especially at this stage of the season and with a lot of new players. Hopefully Aitor Karanka will know his best XI soon and we can start being a little bit more consistent.

What's a realistic target for Boro come the end of the season?

Realistically we should be looking to have a good crack at the automatic promotion slots with the squad we have. However, given the miserable time we've had on the downward spiral since the UEFA Cup Final in 2006, we'd take a Play-Off spot in a flash. We've already dropped points at home now to Sheffield Wednesday, Reading and Blackpool, so our home form is starting to cause a bit of concern. The target has to be promotion, though.

Which Boro players should Fulham be wary of on Saturday?

Adam Clayton, with his sleeve tattoo, bushy beard, and slick-backed hair may look like someone who spends all his free time eating pulled pork sandwiches and drinking craft beer, but he is actually really starting to look the part in the Middlesbrough midfield. He's getting better and better each game and is due a goal sooner or later as well. Also, look out for Kike; scored goals for fun in the Spanish second tier last year and looks to have adapted to the Championship okay, too, having bagged four league goals so far.

And which Fulham players do you expect to cause you problems?

Ross McCormack is going to be the answer to this question from every team you play this season who were in the Championship last year – he was that good. And being an ex-transfer target of ours (we apparently had a bid rejected the August before last) he's bound to score.

What's the general feeling towards Karanka as boss?

If he can't get us up, then God knows who's going to.

What's the best and worst things about a trip to the Riverside?

The worst thing is obviously the long journey time it's going to take you to get home to London, especially if it ends in a Fulham defeat.

What score prediction are you going for?

2-1 to Boro.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/03/inside-the-riverside?

WhiteJC

M'boro v Fulham

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Riverside Stadium Date: Saturday, 4 October Kick-off: 15:00 BST
Coverage: Watch highlights on The Football League Show; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

TEAM NEWS

Middlesbrough midfielders Dean Whitehead and Albert Adomah will be available following suspensions.

Jonathan Woodgate is still missing (thigh) but Grant Leadbitter (head wound) and Adam Clayton (illness) should be fit to start for Boro.

Fulham's caretaker manager Kit Symons is unlikely to make changes after the 4-0 win against Bolton on Wednesday.

Defender Shaun Hutchinson returns from a three-match ban but is likely to be on the bench.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-Head
• The last meeting ended as a goalless draw at the Riverside Stadium in the Premier League in April 2009.
• Fulham have won only one of the last five meetings. Their only win since 2006 was 3-0 at Craven Cottage in the Premier League in December 2008.
• Middlesbrough are unbeaten in the last 11 meetings at home, winning eight. Fulham's last win there was 2-0 in the old Division Two in March 1984.

Middlesbrough
• Middlesbrough have lost only one of their last six games in all competitions. Their only defeat last month was 14-13 on penalties at Liverpool in the Capital One Cup on 23 September.
• Boro have won three of their six home games in all competitions this season, drawing one and losing two.

Fulham
• Fulham have won their last three games in all competitions, after winning only one of their first nine games this season.
• The Cottagers have won two of their six away games in all competitions this season, losing the other four.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29388523

WhiteJC

Hoogland urges Fulham to maintain form at Middlesbrough

Defender makes rallying call to team-mates ahead of trip to the Riverside

Impressive: Tim Hoogland
Fulham defender Tim Hoogland has urged his team-mates to maintain their impressive recent form under the stewardship of Kit Symons when they travel to Middlesbrough on Saturday.           

The Cottagers' right back is experiencing a remarkable individual season so far, currently sitting as the club's top scorer with four goals, and is looking for a repeat display of the 4-0 hammering of Bolton on Wednesday when they visit The Riverside.

The home performance in midweek was by far and away the best of a dismal season to date so far for Fulham and Hoogland hopes that Fulham can sustain their focus for the entire 90 minutes again after three wins in a row.

He told the club's website: "I think against Bolton it was great in both halves and I'm happy with how it went. We will continue to develop every day."

Victory over Aitor Karanka's side on Saturday would likely lift Fulham out of the Championship relegation zone but Boro will be tough opposition, sitting just outside the play-offs and running Liverpool agonisingly close in the Capital One Cup last week.

The three successive victories in all competitions for Fulham however, for the first time since March 2012, has precipitated public backing for caretaker manager Kit Symons both from inside and outside of the club.

Defender Dan Burn has been one of many to come out this week in support of Symons, and the temporary manager believes that a return to basics has been the catalyst for the club's recent upturn in fortunes.

"What we are doing better is the basics," the 43-year-old told the club's Youtube channel.

"We've given a lot of attention to detail to defensive positions and distances between players."

The stand in manager has also praised the amount of assistance he has had off the pitch from scouts and analysis, albeit limited, in his short tenure so far.

"We couldn't ask for more in the help we've been given," he said.

"The end product is what you see out on the pitch on a match day but it's the work that goes on weeks and weeks before behind the scenes that is of paramount importance to me."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/hoogland-urges-fulham-maintain-form-7877784?

WhiteJC

Next Up: Middlesbrough

The opposition

A very solid start to the season by Middlesbrough has seen them establish themselves in the upper echelons of the Sky Bet Championship. They are currently situated in eighth spot, but just three points separate them and leaders Norwich City.

After winning two and losing three of their opening five matches, they hit some excellent form in the middle of September, defeating Huddersfield Town, Cardiff City and Brentford in the space of eight days – the latter a convincing 4-0 win at the Riverside.

They lost some momentum in their last two outings, though, following up last week's goalless draw at Charlton Athletic with a 1-1 stalemate against bottom side Blackpool on Tuesday.

Away from league matters, Boro went close to a giant killing in the Capital One Cup at Anfield, only for Liverpool to emerge victorious from a remarkable 30-penalty shoot-out.

Team news

Damia Abella, Jonathan Woodgate, Rhys Williams and Muzzy Carayol all miss out for the hosts, although Adam Clayton and Grant Leadbitter could feature having been doubts in midweek.

Jelle Vossen will be assessed before a decision is made as to his involvement, but there are returns for Dean Whitehead and Albert Adomah who have served their respective suspensions.

Inside the camp

Middlesbrough manager Aitor Karanka is expecting a tough 90 minutes against Fulham at the weekend, and hasn't been surprised by the Whites' recent upturn in form.

Speaking to Boro's official website, the former Real Madrid defender said: "Getting the three points at home is always important, but it's going to be a very difficult game on Saturday.

"Fulham are now playing the way we all expected them to when they were relegated because they have a squad full of Premier League players.

"But, against us you never know, we have the ability to almost beat Liverpool but then lose two points against Blackpool.

"I'm excited and I think it will be a very good game for the crowd to finish this crazy month."

Player to watch

Kike: Enrique Garcia Martinez, or Kike as he is more commonly known, has made a seamless transition to English football following his summer arrival from Murcia in a deal worth a reported €3.5m. The 24-year-old striker was the second top scorer in the Segunda Division last season as Murcia just missed out on promotion, and opened his account for Boro on his debut in the opening day win over Birmingham City. He followed that up with a goal in his next match in the cup at Oldham Athletic, and his record now reads five from 13 matches played.

Marathonbet match odds

Middlesbrough: 22/25

Draw: 11/4

Fulham: 7/2

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/03/next-up-middlesbrough?

WhiteJC

Boro v Fulham - Early Team News

As we head towards Teeside and the Riverside Stadium, hoping to make it four wins on the bounce, we have a smidgeon of team news.

Starting with the home side first - Middlesbrough

Dean Whitehead and Albert Adomah are both available for selection again after both completed suspensions.

Missing through injury is Jonathan Whitehead with a thigh injury, but Grant Leadbitter who had a head wound and Adam Clayton who picked up an illness should be available for selection.

Finishing with the away side - Fulham

We suspect that with nobody picking up an injury in the 4-0 midweek drubbing of Bolton Wanderers, our caretaker manager, Kit Symons, will keep an unchanged starting eleven.

However, he might be tempted to call upon our defender Shaun Henderson who is available again after completing the suspension served up after a red card.

COYW`s

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=372444#ixzz3F9vCGZSN

WhiteJC

Can Boro Take Full Points v Fulham?

Middlesbrough aim to take full points against a Fulham team that has suddenly hit form. Support your local team in red at the Riverside on Saturday. Kick off 3pm.

After dropping 2 points in the draw with Blackpool Boro will not want to slip up again playing another Championship basement side in Fulham. Yet on the face of it Fulham might not be quite the push overs they were under Felix Magath. Since the spectacularly spectacled German left Fulham have restored experienced players to the side like Costa Rican World Cup ace Bryan Ruiz and suddenly they have taken off again. Under caretaker Kit Symons Cottagers blasted FOUR past Bolton in midweek and leapfrogged them in the table in the process.

It is a Fulham side that now has a blend of Premier experience and youthful potential and in addition multi million pound signing Ross McCormack, a man that was constantly in Boro's targets and often seems to score against us. Oops!

Boro have Dean Whitehead and Albert Adomah back from suspension. With both Adam Clayton and Grant Leadbitter fit and well again there should be plenty of drive and determination with the middle of the park. Albert Adomah was missed on Tuesday for his uncanny ability to get on the end of things as well as setting things up.

We need to be far sharper upfront. The cutting edge has deserted us in the last two games with forward players all too often working against each other rather than combining effectively.

Let's hope we can re hit the heights of the Brentford game, with Kike can refinding those shooting boots and Bamford with a head for goal scoring heights.

It is a game that brings back memories of Premier encounters and indeed that team of Academy and local players that turned out in a Boro strip just days before the UEFA Cup final. It is a whole different ball game now for both clubs but lets hope that ball starts to roll in our favour again as we aim to move on up the table with a win at the Riverside this Saturday

Fmttm Prediction: Boro to win 3-1. Fingers firmly crossed.

http://www.fansonline.net/middlesbrough/article.php?id=4159

WhiteJC

10 Players You Didn't Know Fulham Nearly Signed
Bankrolled by a man with money to match the ambition, they tried to sign the best.

Misery. Torment. Disaster. There aren't enough superlatives to describe the last 12 months at Craven Cottage. Having spent their way into the top-flight 13 years ago, and impressively remaining there until last season, the club has gone through eight managers, several smashed transfer records and a heroic Europa League campaign.

Needless to say, it has been a topsy-turvy decade for the Cottagers, as the ambitious Londoners sought to hold their against the elite clubs of the top-flight. In audacious bids to coax some of the finest talent to Craven Cottage, former Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed waved several blank cheques under their noses.

While the likes of Steve Marlet, Louis Saha and Dimitar Berbatov agreed to join the Londoners, there were inevitably a number of players who decided against signing for the relative minnows of west London.
One must admire their ambition however, when bids were lodged for Champions League finalists, French internationals and even one of the finest goalscorers to ever kick a football.
Take a look at the ten players that Fulham nearly signed.

10. Bafetimbi Gomis
He may not be setting the world on fire for Swansea City right now, but Bafetimbi Gomis could have been introduced to English football a lot earlier in his career. Having been courted by Newcastle United for the best part of seven seasons, it was indeed Fulham who made the first meaningful efforts to prize him away from French side Lyon's clutches in 2012.
With Fulham boss Martin Jol long having been an admirer of the powerful French striker's talents, he urged the Cottagers to submit a £6.5 million bid for the frontman, as he sought to bolster his strike-force. With Clint Dempsey forcing an exit from the club, the London side needed to replace his goals quickly.

In the end, the deal was rebuffed by the French club, leaving Jol in a state of panic as the close of the transfer window loomed. Almost exactly four years to the day that Manchester United had shattered their transfer record for the Bulgarian's services, Dimitar Berbatov arrived at Craven Cottage on deadline day for a fee of £4 million.

9. Nacer Chadli
One of the form players in the Premier League right now is Belgian wide-man Nacer Chadli, having plundered four goals in five league appearances for Spurs, but were it not for a slight intervention two years ago, he could have been plying his trade for a very different club in the English capital.
Then a sprightly 23 year old winger, laden with bags of pace and an eye for goal, Chadli was a key figure for Dutch side FC Twente, when he was approached by a number of European sides. According to his agent Daniel Evrard, the club who came closest to capturing his signature was a relatively modest side from London.

"The club that came close to signing him in the summer was Fulham, but in the end a deal didn't go through. Nacer has a contract with Twente until June 2014, but at the end of this season he could go to a team in a big league. His preference would be the Premier League." – Daniel Evrard, November 2013.
Chadli would get his dream move to England at the end of the season, but initially struggled in his debut campaign, mustering just one league goal in 24 appearances. This season, however, it appears that he has found the golden touch, as proven by his clinical finish at the Emirates Stadium last week.

8. Peter Crouch
One must feel sorry for Peter Crouch's wife, as there is never an air of certainty with their surroundings. In every transfer window – one can expect three things to happen – a player will petulantly force through an exit via transfer request, there will be rumours of a transfer record-breaking bid, and a new club will become linked with Peter Crouch. Whereas now it is QPR who seemingly won't leave the 6ft 7in frontman alone, before them it was Fulham, as they were paired with the former Liverpool hitman on the back pages every summer.
It began in 2009, when Portsmouth's financial woes began to become public knowledge, and the fire-sale was underway. Future England boss Roy Hodgson had made no effort to conceal his admiration for the south-coast side's prized asset, and his wish to bring him to Craven Cottage.

"We're talking about a current England international, a top quality player who may just be available, and it's not a surprise, I suppose, that teams like ourselves, Tottenham and Sunderland are interested in his services." – Roy Hodgson, July 2009.
However, Crouch ultimately made the decision to join Spurs instead, which Hodgson maintains worked out for the best as 'luckily Bobby Zamora came up trumps and played so well'.
The links resurfaced two years later, however, with Hodgson long gone and Zamora linked with a shock return to Spurs in part-exchange for Crouch. Unsurprisingly, the move never materialised. Probably when everybody realised how stupid it sounded out loud.

7. John Carew
Failed transfers are never ideal for either party, and they can certainly be irksome. However, for Fulham, the collapse of Norwegian striker John Carew's transfer from Valencia in January 2002 probably proved to be the most stress-inducing and harrowing ordeal they have conducted in the top-flight. It's not often that a club is sued for not signing a player, but that is exactly what happened in the summer of 2002, with the Spanish club claiming that Fulham had damaged Carew's reputation and value in the transfer market by alleging that he had a weak right knee.
With Carew having been poised to join the Cottagers on a four-year contract in January, Valencia were furious at Fulham's reasons for why the move broke down, and demanded FIFA to seek £8.5 million in compensation. With a French sports injury specialist having cleared Carew as fit for transfer, Valencia felt they had grounds for complaint.

In June 2003, Fulham were ordered to pay the Spanish club £500,000 as a result of the 6ft 5in Norwegian's botched transfer. As for Carew himself, he certainly wasn't best pleased with Fulham's decision to leave him in Spain.
"The English teams know that they were mistaken and they will be very sorry not to have contracted me, because I am worthy of playing in the Premiership." – John Carew, November 2002.

6. Andre-Pierre Gignac
For avid followers of the Premier League, but with no parallel interest in outside European leagues, the name Andre-Pierre Gignac won't ring too many bells. However, one's ignorance should not detract from the fact that the 28 year old French striker has scored 29 goals in the last two seasons for Marseille, and has represented his country on 16 occasions.
In the summer of 2011, Gignac had just experienced a very difficult debut season with Marseille, having arrived from Toulouse for around £13 million. Keen to listen to offers for the profligate Frenchman, it was Fulham who caught the eye of the striker amid interest from some top European sides. However, following Marseille's failure to sign Juventus striker Amauri, the move fell apart, much to the disgust of the French centre-forward.

"We were told l'OM wanted to sign a forward so they would then be listening to offers for me. We were told about Olympiakos and Fulham. We went to London and immediately we felt their interest was concrete and serious. On Wednesday we had a medical. At 11.30pm, they called me to say I had to go back to Marseille because my forward replacement would not come. There was an opportunity to go to Sunderland. I could not reply yes to Sunderland and no to Fulham, because l'OM just made the decision of a swap deal with Gyan. At Fulham, they wanted me. I didn't see anyone at Sunderland. I'm not a mercenary. I'm not angry, but I have a bitter taste in my mouth." – Andre-Pierre Gignac, September 2011.
If one stays perfectly silent, they might be able to hear the faint sounds of the Frenchman still smarting over his failed Premier League move from three years ago.

5. Craig Bellamy
What clubs haven't been in for Craig Bellamy? A Premier League nomad, he has been up and down the UK, playing for what seems like a plethora of clubs, causing headaches, fury and delirium aplenty. So, it's no surprise that the man who coached him at both national level with Wales and at club level with Blackburn Rovers and Manchester City threw his hat into the ring four years ago, in a bid to coax him to Craven Cottage.
"Yes, I'd be interested in signing Craig. He's one of the top players in the Premier League. If he comes on the market, and if we're in the position where we can conclude a deal for Craig Bellamy, then yes we would be very interested. It seems that Manchester City won't be using Craig at Premier League level, so from his point of view it is very important that he makes the right decision for his career. A wrong decision at this point could hurt him, so I wish him well in what decision he takes." – Mark Hughes, August 2010.

It's not as if Bellamy was short for suitors, however, so how close were Fulham to winning the race for his signature really? Harry Redknapp was certainly vying for his signature, as were Celtic and Sunderland, but in the end it proved to be Bellamy's heart which won out, dropping down a division to sign for his boyhood club Cardiff City and lead a promotion charge.

4. Jordan Henderson
It's public knowledge now that patience with Jordan Henderson had worn thin to such an extent that club hierarchy were ready to ship him to Fulham in a swap deal for Clint Dempsey a year after signing him from Sunderland for skywards of £16 million, but the current Liverpool vice-captain has recently admitted that he was shocked when he was told he could leave. It has been one of the most inspiring turnaround stories in recent times, as the former flop has transformed his fortunes, becoming the cornerstone of the Liverpool midfield and arguably one of the national side's most important players. Perhaps it was Brendan Rodgers' willingness to sell him to Fulham that finally woke him up from his debutant slumber.
"When the manager told me I could go to Fulham, it was a bit of a shock at first. What he said came as a sort of bolt from the blue. I think the Dempsey situation had stalled, but it wasn't really of interest to me. I worked really hard to come to a club like Liverpool and I didn't want to leave in a hurry." – Jordan Henderson, November 2012.

Brendan Rodgers hailed him as the Premier League's 'most-improved player' and it's hard to argue, considering the lung-busting runs, ferocious tackles and pinpoint passes he completed last term. He has developed into a fine player, and is improving ever more. This season, he is lining out as Steven Gerrard's heir in the Champions League, as opposed to making trips to Brentford and Rotherham with Fulham.

3. Aaron Ramsey
Similarly to Henderson, there was a time when Arsenal's most important player was struggling for a game, often lambasted by punters for not being good enough for the Emirates Stadium. At just 21 years old, Aaron Ramsey was recovering from a serious leg injury and had been loaned out to Championship sides Cardiff City and Nottingham Forest in a bid to gain some match fitness. There looked to be no way back into the fold, when Fulham boss Martin Jol offered him a chance to get back on his feet in the top-flight down the road at Craven Cottage.
With the 35 year old Danny Murphy having left the club for Blackburn Rovers on a free transfer, it would have made sense for all parties, as Jol sought to inject a bit of young blood into his side. At the time, the move would have made a lot more sense than it sounds now, with 43 of the Welsh talent's 106 appearances for the Gunners having been from the bench.
However, the move never materialised and Ramsey knuckled down and worked hard to break back into the Gunners fold. Judging by his performances over the last 18 months, it seemed to work a treat, as he has established himself as one of the finest midfield architects in the Premier League, and looks nothing like the player who was shunted out wide by Arsene Wenger whenever he made a rare appearance for the Gunners only a couple of seasons ago.

2. Gary Speed
Another Welshman, and another great midfielder, it was a bid that seemed to irk Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd to his very core. With new manager Jean Tigana looking to make an audacious swoop, throwing down a gauntlet to the rest of the Premier League, he launched an ambitious raid on St. James' Park for Gary Speed.
"It must have been the shortest phone call on record. I never even asked how much Fulham were prepared to pay. Gary Speed is one of the last players we want to leave St. James' Park. He has just had a great season – and why would he want to leave here?" – Freddy Shepherd, June 2000.
Sir Bobby Robson echoed his chairman's annoyed sentiments, reaffirming that the London club were 'wasting their time if they are looking to buy Gary Speed'.
It would certainly have been a surprising career move for the Welshman, considering the London club were still in the First Division, while Sir Bobby Robson in the process of assembling an exciting, young squad. However, they were bankrolled by an ambitious and money-laden Mohamed Al Fayed and were determined to splurge their way to the top.

1. Gabriel Batistuta
300 goals in 516 career appearances, the all-time top Argentine goalscorer, and officially crowned the third best player in the world 15 years ago, Gabriel Batistuta was more than just another top player – he was a legend. Which is why it seems strange that just three years after receiving the bronze award in the FIFA World Player of the Year ceremony, it was Fulham who looked likely to sign the big-name striker.
With Batistuta wanting out of Roma and seeking a move to England at the end of the 02/03 season, his agent told an Italian newspaper that Fulham had jumped to the head of the queue in the race for his signature.
Just six months later, however, the Cottagers would not receive the news that they had craved since before Christmas. Much to the shock of the general public, the lowly Premier League club claimed that they had in fact spurned the opportunity to sign the legendary striker in the January transfer window.
"In the early part of the year, one of our directors was approached through a third party representing Batistuta. We were asked if we would be interested in signing him. Jean Tigana was asked and we immediately responded with a 'thanks, but no thanks'. Jean didn't give his reason, but his policy is to maximise profits on young players rather than buy older ones who might be very expensive and not have any resale value after their contract." – Chester Stern, Fulham spokesman, June 2002.

http://whatculture.com/sport/10-players-didnt-know-fulham-nearly-signed.php/11