more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (05/10/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 04, 2014, 08:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Unlucky Fulham are beaten at Boro

Albert Adomah's late goal against the run of play sealed Fulham's fate at the Riverside Stadium, but they went down fighting after a spirited second-half showing.

That second half started terribly for the visitors when Adam Reach put Middlesbrough ahead only 42 seconds after the restart.

Fulham, who had won their previous three matches under caretaker boss Kit Symons, then dominated and came close to equalising on three occasions.

Tim Hoogland hit the bar, Hugo Rodallega missed a good chance and Lasse Vigen Christensen 's effort was cleared off the line by Daniel Ayala as the home side held on.

Adomah gave Boro breathing space when he finished nicely after collecting Kike's pass.

The Whites defended well in the first half but were undone straight after the interval when Reach diverted Lee Tomlin's overhead kick into the net.

Reach then almost doubled the lead when he headed Adomah's cross against the post.

Adomah had earlier hit the post himself after being found by Ryan Fredericks' ninth-minute cross.

And as they looked to haul themselves level, Fulham were also denied by the woodwork after Ross McCormack's cross had been met by Hoogland's header.

Fulham continued to press and Rodallega fired over before Ayala denied Christensen and McCormack's free-kick was pushed away at the near post by keeper Dimitrios Konstantopoulos.

Adomah took the all-important second goal really well, starting the move off and then firing past Marcus Bettinelli after good work from Kike.

Fulham (4-1-2-1-2): Bettinelli; Hoogland, Bodurov, Burn, Amorebieta (Smith 78); Parker; Christensen, Stafylidis (G Williams 59); Ruiz (Roberts 70); Rodallega, McCormack.
Subs not used: Kiraly, Kavanagh, Hyndman, Woodrow, Smith.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/unlucky-fulham-are-beaten-at-boro?

WhiteJC

Boro Win Real Tough Contest v Fulham

There will be few harder fought for victories this season than today's 2-0 win against Fulham. The Cottagers arrived at the Riverside full of confidence on the back of their four goal thrashing of Bolton in midweek and presented really difficult opponents. That Boro managed to dig in for a 2-0 victory speaks volumes for our Championship credentials and intentions this campaign. What a way to go into an international break.

Boro reverted to a more traditional line up with Clayton and Leadbitter in the centre and Adomah and Reach on the flanks wide of Tomlin and Kike. There was some pressure to overcome the resurgent Fulham after dropping 2 points at home to Blackpool in midweek. Did this team have the bottle to bounce back? It certainly did.

Bamford was rested from the squad after two disappointing games for which he was rightly criticised in all but name. A striker of prodigious talent but on these occasions a loan player playing as a lone forward. The two goals today were real team games, emphasising the point Aitor Karanka was making.

There was very limited goalmouth action in the first half. That was because apart from a couple of surges down either flank Boro were largely clinging onto Fulham's shirt tails. The team from London looked reenergised and with their confidence restored now that they have 21st century leadership off the field through Kit Symons. Felix the big cheese was a disaster. They were powerful in midfield and packed a punch in attack with their Premier names restored to the starting line up.

The panto villain Ross McCormack caused problems and was at the centre of much of the action. Althuogh he was mainly put in the spotlight by Boro fans shouting uncharitable comments about his girth. But there was to be no last laugh for the £11 million man.

Unless I am very much mistaken we were unlucky to see a shot rebound back off the post in the first half but Dimi was the busier keeper in what eventually turned into a bit of a stand off and a stalemate.

It was in the second half that things really took off. Kike held up the ball superbly wide on the right before flicking it on for Adomah to charge past and head down the line. Albert's cross was met by an over head kick from Tomlin, which was in turn coolly diverted over the line by Adam Reach.

Reach could have had a second when he rose to meet another Adomah centre and headed against the post. This was bang in the middle of a little spell where we were going hell for leather for the knock out second goal. Try as we might we couldn't quite achieve it and so Fulham lived to come back again.

Fulham drove us so deep at times. Last ditch tackles from Fredericks and Friend helped us thwart their raids. Yet we had to be thankful to the crossbar for rescuing us from a glancing header. Then with Dimi beaten Ayala showed the reflexes of a cat to spring to his right to clear a goalbound shot off the line.

Vossen came on for Tomlin and certainly provided extra legs across the front line. Boro finally managed to break out and it was that man Adomah again with a central role to play. A superb end to end move finished with Kike cutely laying the ball off with his back to goal for Adomah who finished with aplomb. 2-0. Now we could relax.

Well, sort of because with 6 minutes time added on Fulham continued to mount an offensive against our goal. Yet we were always dangerous with our speed on the break. Wingers Adomah and Reach were constant thorns in Fulham's sides. Reach is now beginning to look like a player of great potential. Adomah is hitting form, he is so powerful and so fast in full flow. It is a great sign for the team that they both pack such a goal threat as well as their assists.

Whitehead came on to beef up the protection for the back players. But it was Boro that were the unlucky team not to add to the lead as Vossen was twice denied by goal line clearances from what would have been a first goal for us.

At the final whistle Middlesbrough had bagged all the points from another really significant win. It showed the team to have bags of character and that we have rediscovered our cutting edge through our two wingers.

We can pause now for the next fortnight and reflect on a game that really signals our emergence as real promotion contenders.

Middlesbrough 2-0 Fulham scorers Reach, Adomah

http://www.fansonline.net/middlesbrough/article.php?id=4160

WhiteJC

Symons left to rue Boro chances and waits for Fulham job offer

Fulham caretaker boss Kit Symons was left to reflect on two defensive lapses that cost his side, but he remains optimistic going forward.

The west London club lost 2-0 at Middlesbrough but were in the game throughout and it was the taking of chances that was the difference between the sides.

Twice Fulham failed to deal with Boro attacks that on another day they would have and the taking of opportunities at the other end of the pitch were poor.

Symons is hoping that the team learn from their mistakes an his solid start as boss remains in tact to an extent.

"Conceding after a few seconds of the second half didn't help the cause," Symons said. "But we had three gilt-edged chances at 1-0 and at least one would have gone in on another day."

He added: "I honestly believe we should have got something out of the game and I hope our fans could see we put in a lot of effort and guts."

Now Symons will wait to discover what impact this defeat will have on his job prospects when owner Shahid Khan's five-man committee meets to make an appointment.

"I don't know what effect it will have," he said. "I will just keep going and carry on. I've done several different roles at this club and done each to the best of my ability. I will do this one as long as is required."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/symons_left_to_rue_boro_chances_and_waits_for_fulham_job_offer_1_3794715

WhiteJC

Manager Reaction

Caretaker Manager Kit Symons believes the Whites should have secured a share of the points at the Riverside Stadium and was left ruing a pair of sloppy goals conceded.

Second-half strikes from Adam Reach and Albert Adomah sealed Fulham's fate after a goalless first half where Symons' side dominated possession.

At 1-0 down, Tim Hoogland hit the crossbar, Hugo Rodallega came close and Lasse Vigen Christensen's shot was cleared off the line as the Whites searched for a reprieve.

Those missed opportunities were punished as Middlesbrough struck again late on, leaving Symons lamenting a couple of game-changing moments which confirmed the defeat.

"I felt we deserved, should have got something out of the game," said Symons.

"If you are outplayed and the other team deserve to win, I've got no problem with that, but I honestly thought we should have got something out of it.

"Full credit to Middlesbrough, I take nothing away from them whatsoever, but we conceded a very, very sloppy goal right at the start of the second half, which gives you a bit of a mountain to climb.

"It was a very sloppy goal from our point of view, very preventable. We had bodies back and we were in a decent shape, but we didn't deal with it.

"We've got to deal with those situations better. We got ourselves going again, they had a little bit of a spell straight after the goal, but then we soon came in the ascendancy and then we had three fantastic chances at 1-0 to grab the equaliser.

"Losing 2-0 is not the end of the world, but I'd have taken a point and a clean sheet and that's the least we should have got out of this game.

"There are lots of positives to take from it but unfortunately it's a results business, as we all know, and that's very, very disappointing.

"Two very sloppy goals. Goals change games and full credit to Middlesbrough."

Although the goal the Whites were searching for never arrived, Symons insists he saw enough in his forward line to convince him they can cause problems for any team.

"We've got some fantastic forward players, attacking players, and we'll always be a goal threat," he added.

"In the five games, the two we've lost, we've had good chances to get something out of the game.

"Obviously, the Blackburn game, the first one, even with 10 men we had very good chances to nick something out of the game and today is the same.

"We can pick up wins all over the place. Unfortunately today it wasn't to be but, like I say, we lick our wounds and move on."

Symons also paid tribute to the Whites' travelling contingent for their relentless support and vowed to give the Fulham faithful more to cheer about at the next game.

"The fans were excellent again," said Symons.

"They saw a lot of endeavour from our players. They absolutely worked their socks off and they are very, very disappointed in that changing room, as I would expect them to be.

"We applaud people that are willing to make the sacrifice and come up here and it means an awful lot to me and it means an awful lot to the players.

"It wasn't to be, we've got to dust ourselves down, regroup and crack on for Norwich at the Cottage."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/04/manager-reaction

WhiteJC

Sloppy defending cost us at Middlesbrough, admits Fulham boss

Symons says Cottagers deserved a point at the Riverside Stadium

Kit Symons was left to rue two defensive lapses as Fulham slumped to defeat against Middlesbrough.

The caretaker manager's chances of landing the job on a permanent basis were dented as second-half goals from Adam Reach and Albert Adomah earned the home side a 2-0 win.

"If you are outplayed and the other team deserve to win, I've got no problem with that, but I honestly thought we should have got something out of it," said Symons.

"We conceded a very, very sloppy goal right at the start of the second half, which gives you a bit of a mountain to climb.

"It was a very sloppy goal from our point of view, very preventable. We had bodies back and we were in a decent shape, but we didn't deal with it.

"We got ourselves going again, they had a little bit of a spell straight after the goal, but then we soon came in the ascendancy and then we had three fantastic chances at 1-0 to grab the equaliser."

After a goalless first 45 minutes, Fulham got off to a nightmare start to the second half when Reach put Middlesbrough ahead just 42 seconds after the restart.

Fulham came close to levelling when Tim Hoogland hit the bar, while Hugo Rodallega and Lasse Vigen Christensen also had chances to equalise.

But Boro wrapped up the points when Adomah's cool finish sealed a 2-0 win.

Symons added: "There are lots of positives to take from it but unfortunately it's a results business, as we all know, and that's very, very disappointing.

"We conceded two very sloppy goals. Goals change games and full credit to Middlesbrough."

Fulham: Bettinelli, Hoogland, Bodurov, Burn, Amorebieta (Smith 78), Parker, Christensen, Stafylidis (G Williams 59), Ruiz (Roberts 70), Rodallega, McCormack.

Subs (not used): Kiraly, Kavanagh, Hyndman, Woodrow.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sloppy-defending-cost-middlesbrough-admits-7884164?