News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Hull owner refusing to spend any more money!

Started by Artful Dodger, October 05, 2014, 06:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artful Dodger

I see that the Hull owner has said he wont spend any more money because the fans / FA wont let him change the team name to Hull Tigers. I then related this to many fans on this board e-mailing Khan 'requesting' that he relieve Felix of his duties and the fact that English football clubs must be unique in the sense that the fans are so bought in to the club with the camaraderie, loyalty not to mention rivalry with other clubs etc that chairman can't just ignore their / our feelings.

So, a question mainly aimed at our fans based in the US, particularly ex pat fans who have lived and breathed the Cottage week in week out at some point in their lives and now follow a US team, how does that compare to say an American Football team. Maybe, it is not so different after all as I am sure US football fans or baseball fans are equally as passionate? No right or wrong answers here folks, just interested in the dynamic between club and fans!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

Fernhurst

We should be grateful Khan has shown solid respect for our club (so far).
Hull Tigers and Cardiff changing colours proves these men are not quite right.

Guesses required for how long Cardiff's red attire will last when Tann is gone.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

win-dup

Quote from: Fernhurst on October 05, 2014, 08:00:07 PM
We should be grateful Khan has shown solid respect for our club (so far).
Hull Tigers and Cardiff changing colours proves these men are not quite right.

Guesses required for how long Cardiff's red attire will last when Tann is gone.

you mean not quite right in the head I assume?

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Although not a similar circumstance, look what the fans did in Coventry over the last couple of years.
Not sure if I'd have had the 'strength' not to go to the Cottage, particularly as Coventry and Northampton
are only 20/25 miles apart.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Fernhurst

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: Fernhurst on October 05, 2014, 08:13:46 PM
Is there a different meaning WU?

You're a bit behind the times, haven't you heard they dropped the Ham.
Too much salt (ie sodium) in it for footballers.
They are considering being called West Broccoli United
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Fernhurst

Well, I have heard Allardyce suffers a serious wind issue presently.
Broccoli will just blooming exacerbate the problem.   

Jem

Can you imagine how we would feel if Khan decided to change our colour from white to blue or our name to Fulham Bumpers? I really feel for the Cardiff and Hull supporters on this one.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Fernhurst

Quote from: Jem on October 05, 2014, 09:22:48 PM
Can you imagine how we would feel if Khan decided to change our colour from white to blue or our name to Fulham Bumpers? I really feel for the Cardiff and Hull supporters on this one.

Hear, hear.

NJFulham

The amount of actual sports fans in America is fairly low. We are not a sports-mad country. The TV deals make all of the owners profitable. Most are pretty hands-off.

Logicalman

Seriously? This guy is the biggest prat on earth. He threatened the FA with the same thing when he made the application, they said no and called his bluff, so now he is doing it again for the appeal and expecting different results?

I hope he sticks to his word, the bottom falls out of Hull City and he is forced to sell at a loss - astute business man? Nah, just a jumped-up entrepreneur who believes he can bully his way to getting what he wants.

.. this provides the way this man thinks ..

"Nobody in the world will decide for me how I run my companies, certainly not a few hundred people."
He continued: "No, no, no. I will not allow that. Let us establish this - nobody questions my decisions in my business."
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Putney

Wonder what the 'it's his club he can do what he wants' camp think about this.

Also the idea that English clubs are unique with fan involvement is absurd. Fan culture and involvement with the game in England is miles behind that on the continent.

win-dup

Quote from: Fernhurst on October 05, 2014, 08:13:46 PM
Is there a different meaning WU?

Well Fernhurst, in days past ''not quite right'' could have referred to confirmed bachelors. Perhaps the lunatics Tann and Hammam are not quite right in both senses. Not that any of us are judgemental about lifestyle choices these days. Unless you support C*****a of course.

Andy S

Being called Hull Tigers is better than Fulham Park Rangers

Andy S

Some Chairmen think they own the club and can do what they like. The good ones realise that they may be the present owners but they are just looking after the welfare of the club for a period of time

The Rock

Big Picture, US fans of sport have their favourite baseball, basketball, hockey and football teams. They just don't really have one allegiance to one team like you do with Fulham. For me there is only Fulham, not Fulham and my 2 other favourite teams. The "all or none" passion isn't as engrained in the fabric of the supporter. Also, there is little push back to when a team wants to change it's name or a city. The Baltimore Colts became the Indy Colts and poof now there is the Baltimore Ravens. Finally, Americans are Americanized. You want to call a team the 02 Ricoh Tmobile Wireless Rangers and everyone understands that will be the name due to the all-not-so important corporate sponsors. It is in that light that I'd personally let the name be tinkered with if it mean something like Premier League survival, but thats just me.