Metallica "Master of Puppets", "One", "Nothing Else matters"
Molly Hatchet "Fall of the Peacemakers"
Slayer "Angel of death"
She's a Flamenco girl
and dancing is her life
she said stay with me, stay with me
Viva el Fulham!

jarv

Gary Moore, still got the blues for you.  Can be heard any Sunday, an oldish guy, street musician in Winchester. Brilliant, and a nice man too.

beijing ben

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on October 06, 2014, 02:43:18 PM
Unsursprisingly and understandably most of you have chosen classic sixties Britarists who playe(ed) to a formula with heavy volume and distortion  to disguise the occasional kerfluffed notes in their speedy licks followed by sustained notes leading to heavy distortion, bends and feedback (not to forget the shredding).  It was great and original in the day but drugs and giant stacked Marshall amps certainly helped disguise the lack of genuine technique and skill.
In amongst all the melee there's one Brit who stands out head and shoulders above the rest.  In fact, he is known as ("the guitarists' guitarist) as he was and is always original with peerless technique and feel for his instrument - back then it was the unpopular Fender Telecaster as opposed to the Strat or the Gibson.
He started with Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds, before blossoming with Heads Hands & Feet, Jerry Lee Lewis, Emmylou Harris, Eric Clapton, The Everly Brothers (among many many more).
If you want to see how how a guitar solo is put together by a genius, watch this Dave Edmunds clip.
Oh, his name is Albert Lee.
Albert Lee - Sweet Little Lisa overdub
Nogood "not to be confused with the vastly inferior shredder, Alvin Lee, isit" Boyo

I'll be honest, i didn't know the name so i checked who he had worked with and was interested to see he did something with Bert Jansch, another great guitarist.

I think you are right that people tend to go with 60s/70s rock/funk guitarists when talking about the greatest which is unfair as the technical difficulty in other genres is just as high or higher.

I'll be sure to check out Albert Lee when i can. (I'm in China so no youtube)...

FP

beijing ben

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on October 06, 2014, 02:38:15 PM
Quote from: beijing ben on October 06, 2014, 11:39:58 AM
Quote from: RaySmith on October 06, 2014, 07:50:32 AM
Definitely Jimi Hendrix.

Other personal favourites-Neil Young, Richard Thompson, John McLaughlin, John Martyn, Son House.

I have a Karen Matheson solo album by the way.

I was wondering how far i would have to go down to find someone offering the guitarists' guitarist John McLaughlin.

A lot of people would put Eddie Van Halen in there for greatest guitar solo. A better Eddie and, in my opinion, the greatest guitarist of all time, Eddie 'Maggot Brain' Hazel, although his signature song can't really be called a guitar solo as it is the whole song...

Hear Hear! Was just coming back to throw this into the mix myself.

Never saw the man himself live but saw Michael Hampton do a fantastic version of the song Maggot Brain in Ohio in 2002

mccscratch

My playing style is very similar to MK... so Dire live solos will always hold a place in my heart...

That being said... guys like Buckethead never cease to amaze me...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Lighthouse

Quote from: blingo on October 06, 2014, 08:03:05 AM
Jose Feliciano. just watch this.

jose feliciano - malaguena(2).flv

Still have a very old vinyl record of the great Jose Feliciano. A true versatile guitarist who could turn his hand to any style.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Jonnoj

Worth trying out Albert Lee as recommended above.
Look for a song called Country Boy, amazing guitar playing.

For me the others are all of the solos in All Along the watchtower, perfect melodic solos.
Page - Stairway, bit of a cliche but what an opening lick it has
And the great Ritchie Blackmore, my fave is Highway Star on Made in Japan, apparently he was really wound up and it shows....

JHaynes Paperboy

NogoodBoyo

Quote from: Jonnoj on October 06, 2014, 06:14:44 PM

For me the others are all of the solos in All Along the watchtower, perfect melodic solos.
And the great Ritchie Blackmore, my fave is Highway Star on Made in Japan, apparently he was really wound up and it shows....

albert lee country boy

Nogood "here you go, isit" Boyo

alfie

Quote from: beijing ben on October 06, 2014, 04:21:35 PM
Quote from: NogoodBoyo on October 06, 2014, 02:43:18 PM
Unsursprisingly and understandably most of you have chosen classic sixties Britarists who playe(ed) to a formula with heavy volume and distortion  to disguise the occasional kerfluffed notes in their speedy licks followed by sustained notes leading to heavy distortion, bends and feedback (not to forget the shredding).  It was great and original in the day but drugs and giant stacked Marshall amps certainly helped disguise the lack of genuine technique and skill.
In amongst all the melee there's one Brit who stands out head and shoulders above the rest.  In fact, he is known as ("the guitarists' guitarist) as he was and is always original with peerless technique and feel for his instrument - back then it was the unpopular Fender Telecaster as opposed to the Strat or the Gibson.
He started with Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds, before blossoming with Heads Hands & Feet, Jerry Lee Lewis, Emmylou Harris, Eric Clapton, The Everly Brothers (among many many more).
If you want to see how how a guitar solo is put together by a genius, watch this Dave Edmunds clip.
Oh, his name is Albert Lee.
Albert Lee - Sweet Little Lisa overdub
Nogood "not to be confused with the vastly inferior shredder, Alvin Lee, isit" Boyo

I'll be honest, i didn't know the name so i checked who he had worked with and was interested to see he did something with Bert Jansch, another great guitarist.

I think you are right that people tend to go with 60s/70s rock/funk guitarists when talking about the greatest which is unfair as the technical difficulty in other genres is just as high or higher.

I'll be sure to check out Albert Lee when i can. (I'm in China so no youtube)...
The only Albert Lee I know is the one who plays with Bill Wyman Rytham Kings, if it is him then he is a master and if you see lots of concerts/artists have him on board.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Dodgin

It's him, watch out for Albert Lee and his band Hogans Heroes.

love4ffc

Great OP here Roger.  Also lots of great players mentioned here.  I have to agree with Toddles about Stevie Ray Vaughn.  Loved listening to the man when he was a live.  His brother is pretty good too. 

I have to say I also rather enjoyed Jose Feliciano from Blingo.  Very well done that is. 
So in honor of Blingo and Jose Feliciano I give you this piece. 

World's Best Guitar Player

Truly amazing
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Barrett487

Jan Ackerman's only been mentioned peripherally, so i nominate Hocus Pocus, or Eruption, from the Moving Waves album.

Also why hasn't Paul Kossoff had a shout? Mr Big springs to mind.

love4ffc

With all these great solos I figure I will up it one by adding one of the best collaborations I've ever heard. 

So I humbly give you:

Prince, Tom Petty, Steve Winwood, Jeff Lynne and others -- "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" --A Tribute to George Harrison

One of the Greatest Collaborations
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Barrett487

Almost forgot Andy Powell's guitar work on Wishbone Ash's 'Phoenix'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWMfCpWqO-4

Those of you who don'y know this track... put 12 minutes aside and enjoy  :Haynes The Maestro:

blingo

Very good Mr L4, but watch and listen to the end of this, this man has incredible talent.
5 instruments in a Guitar - Jose Feliciano

Jonnoj

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on October 06, 2014, 06:47:04 PM
Quote from: Jonnoj on October 06, 2014, 06:14:44 PM

albert lee country boy

Nogood "here you go, isit" Boyo

Fantastic thank you