https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Interesting video of the goals from Saturday - how bad was our defending

Started by Snibbo, October 07, 2014, 05:13:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaySmith

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: RaySmith on October 07, 2014, 07:00:40 AM
That second goal - where was the marking?

Schoolboy stuff, we need to sort our defending out bigtime.

Tonywa

If anything that's even worse than our defending last season.  Quite shockingly bad!

MJG

You could pick apart every player in that back four. Look back at All our goals this season and your see a lot where Bodrouv let's his man go. I like him but he just goes asleep.

SouthWest6

Bottom line is, we have major frailties at the back, and this won't really be addressed until the January transfer window. I'm going to upset a few people here, but I just don't think Dan Burn is up to it (yet) and if I was Kit, I'd consider moving Amor across to centre back with Bodrov, and then Staf to left back. For me, Burn is the week link, looks uneasy on his feet, shaky in the air, and gets turned to easily by strikers. 

Deanothefulhamfan

I think Burn is actually one of the least of our problems.... Staf at left back is very poor, Hoogland at right back is just as bad. Bodurov seems to be at fault for the majority of goals we concede through bad positioning and terrible awareness of players around him. Burn is slow, and maybe not so confident with the ball at his feet, but he wins most of our headers in defence, and is usually pretty good with marking his man. Amorebieta has been our best defender since Kit took over. Everyone else is a bit unconvincing imo.

Not really sure what the answer is either, we desperatley need a player like Chalobah on loan.

cmg

Quote from: Snibbo on October 07, 2014, 05:13:04 AM

Bettinelli looked furious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBTdf1UsOp8

Ugh. The marking certainly looks crass.

Goalkeepers always go berserk at their defence when one goes in - even when they've just chucked it in their own net!

SouthWest6

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on October 07, 2014, 12:07:21 PM
I think Burn is actually one of the least of our problems.... Staf at left back is very poor, Hoogland at right back is just as bad. Bodurov seems to be at fault for the majority of goals we concede through bad positioning and terrible awareness of players around him. Burn is slow, and maybe not so confident with the ball at his feet, but he wins most of our headers in defence, and is usually pretty good with marking his man. Amorebieta has been our best defender since Kit took over. Everyone else is a bit unconvincing imo.

Not really sure what the answer is either, we desperatley need a player like Chalobah on loan.

We need a complete new back 4, or at least 2 experienced defenders brought in. I've always said that you need a Richard Dunn, or a James Collins type player at this level, and we have neither. Looking back, Brede might have been ideal, but that's been and gone now so we need to look forward.

Deanothefulhamfan

I agree with your comments regarding Dunn or Collins, but Hangelands decline over the past couple of seasons would make me very concerned with him being our main man this season.

Taylor from Newcastle would be decent if we could lure him away. 

SouthWest6

Quote from: Deanothefulhamfan on October 07, 2014, 12:28:15 PM
I agree with your comments regarding Dunn or Collins, but Hangelands decline over the past couple of seasons would make me very concerned with him being our main man this season.

Taylor from Newcastle would be decent if we could lure him away.  

As discussed, this season is a complete right-off, it should now be used to stabilize things things at FFC both on/off the pitch, and hopefully add a few experienced players in January. My only fear is that we don't get dragged down once again, which is a possibility with our current squad.  

TonyGilroy

We're two defenders light.

Burn needs an Aaron Hughes alongside him or needs to be replaced with a guy like Dunn, Huth or Collins who have real physical presence and experience.

Hoogland defensively is inadequate as a right back. We have decent options for left back.

jarv

oh dear, oh dear.  Schoolboys. The problem has been as plain as a wart on the face for ages. All the talk about needing CM has been nonsense in my mind. For me, we have needed a decent centre half, long before Hangeland was sent packing.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: jarv on October 07, 2014, 01:05:24 PM
oh dear, oh dear.  Schoolboys. The problem has been as plain as a wart on the face for ages. All the talk about needing CM has been nonsense in my mind. For me, we have needed a decent centre half, long before Hangeland was sent packing.

Couldnt agree more...

Fulham1959

Quote from: cmg on October 07, 2014, 12:09:36 PM

Goalkeepers always go berserk at their defence when one goes in - even when they've just chucked it in their own net!

You leave Peter Shilton out of this !

cmg

Quote from: Fulham1959 on October 07, 2014, 01:18:13 PM
Quote from: cmg on October 07, 2014, 12:09:36 PM

You leave Peter Shilton out of this !

Ha ha ha! "It was all Norman's fault....or Emlyn's....nothing to do with me, guv."

nose

just seen this video and the goalkeeper is not the problem for either goal.
the first is hoogland not marking and the second is some of the worst ball watching I have seen in years, we have enough bodies but they all go to the ball and the forward is left unmarked
it is interesting that goals both come from balls in from the left in a similar manner.... maybe something to look at for the manager.

Mince n Tatties

Must have been frustrating for Kit, considering how well we played
second half..

Fernhurst

Peter Begrie interviewed on Football League show stated categorically Fulham should go out and invest in a couple of defenders in January - Steven Taylor and Huth were his picks.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

HatterDon

uh, when you're going all out for an equalizer, you kind of leave yourself a bit bare in defense. That's why counter-punching teams are usually deadly when they have a lead.

I submit that there hasn't been a goal scored that SOMEONE can blame on an individual defender or a defensive unit. Giving up a late goal when you're fighting like hell for a point is NOT indicative of the quality of your defensive unit. If you MUST have a scapegoat, how about the folks up front who couldn't get that equalizer?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel