watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We are so lucky

Started by Andy S, October 25, 2014, 06:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

Many years ago a former chairman called Tommy Trinder had a catch phrase it was "You lucky People" In many ways we are. I have just been looking at the BBC website where there is an article about clubs who have lost their grounds. It is so very sad that for greed even Tottenham and West Ham will shortly join Arsenal by vacating their ground.
Once a club does that their history goes. All the memories that Dad first brought me here and how proud he would be.......... It is all gone.
To that end I would like to thank everyone who was involved in saving the Cottage from the developers. The fans. The muddymans  and especially Mohammed al Fayed for helping to give us more memorable nights and days at the Cottage. Last night without being on a par with the European nights was still a great night at the Cottage, Our Cottage.   

WhiteJC

his full catch phrase was

"you lucky people, you've never had it so good"

so whilst I take, and agree with, your drift, after the start of this season I'd disagree that its never been better  :Get Coat gif:

Jonaldiniho 88

Yes I've heard posts on here of the struggle and abuse the fans who did everything they could to keep us at this incredible and unique ground sacrificed and it humbles me. Every time I walk the bank of the Thames to our home I will always think of them. If Wandsworth dump can survive prospectors then the oldest team in London can as well.
   Please don't say that's the oldest dump in London coz it's next to fulham broadway

filham

Quote from: WhiteJC on October 25, 2014, 07:06:06 PM

so whilst I take, and agree with, your drift, after the start of this season I'd disagree that its never been better  :Get Coat gif:

You may be combining two catch phrases into one.

I think Tommy's was a straight " You lucky people"

It was prime minister Harrold MacMillan who some years later coined the phrase "You have never had it so good"

Any way I have been more than happy with our lot over the last 20 years,

win-dup

Quote from: filham on October 25, 2014, 07:33:23 PM

I think Tommy's was a straight " You lucky people"

It was prime minister Harrold MacMillan who some years later coined the phrase "You have never had it so good"

you are quite right.

Peabody

Quote from: filham on October 25, 2014, 07:33:23 PM

I think Tommy's was a straight " You lucky people"u

Agree, It was "you lucky people"

Andy S

Actually it was Harold McMillan who said you have never had it so good. He also accused Thatcher of Selling the family silver when she sold BT and British Gas.

epsomraver

Quote from: Andy S on October 25, 2014, 06:37:47 PM
Many years ago a former chairman called Tommy Trinder had a catch phrase it was "You lucky People" In many ways we are. I have just been looking at the BBC website where there is an article about clubs who have lost their grounds. It is so very sad that for greed even Tottenham and West Ham will shortly join Arsenal by vacating their ground.
Once a club does that their history goes. All the memories that Dad first brought me here and how proud he would be.......... It is all gone.
To that end I would like to thank everyone who was involved in saving the Cottage from the developers. The fans. The muddymans  and especially Mohammed al Fayed for helping to give us more memorable nights and days at the Cottage. Last night without being on a par with the European nights was still a great night at the Cottage, Our Cottage.   

Never forget Jimmy Hill and his part in that

hovewhite

Its nights like last night that I love the cottage,atmosphere thrills,joy,goals,passion feeling part of the night,the view over the the river,the banter.I could go on!

Ichabod Magoo

Good stuff.  Almost poetic.   :54:
If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must have been born upside down. ~ Chudley Rippington III

Twig

Captures my sentiments perfectly.