more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (28/10/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 27, 2014, 06:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

The Opposition View: Fulham Vs Derby

For a place in the last eight of the League Cup, Derby travel to Fulham.

A lot has changed since the Rams demolished the Cottagers 5-1 at Pride Park back in August.

I have spoken to Andrew Beck of Cottagers Confidential to find out more about the opponents.

How much have Fulham changed since that 5-1 drubbing?

Fulham have changed immensely. Just making sure the manager isn't a crazy person was a big boost. Magath never settled on a lineup and refused to play some of the most talented players (Dan Burn, Hugo Rodallega, Bryan Ruiz). Since Kit Symons has taken over, Fulham have been a different club. He's been in charge for seven league matches, and over the last six, Fulham have been the second best team in the league.

Has the poor start to the season changed your opinion of how Fulham will fare back in the Championship this season?

At the beginning of the year, I felt Fulham were probably the most talented team in the Championship. There's a lot of quality in the squad. With a competent manager and a little strengthening in January, I would have expected them to challenge for the top two. I think the hole that they dug under Magath is probably too deep for that. However, making the playoffs is still a very good possibility.

What are your thoughts on your team's League Cup campaign so far?

The cup has been fun so far. Fulham got to play one of their traditional rivals away for ther first time in over a decade. The fact that it was also a win was very satisfying. Just a few weeks ago, I would have been happy for Fulham to actually concentrate on a cup run just to salvage some of the season. But since the recent improved form, the league is once again the most important thing in my eyes.

Finally, do you expect Fulham to field a strong side and what is your match prediction?

I expect some rotation. Rodallega had to leave Friday's match with cramps, so I'd expect him to sit, probably replaced by Cauley Woodrow. I don't expect Ruiz or Scott Parker to start. You'll probably see Patrick Roberts and Emerson Hyndman. But the squad will be very strong, and it will be well coached. Don't expect them to roll over this time. How they do depends on how serious Derby takes it. If Derby fields a strong side I expect a close game that could go either way. If they field more of a second choice lineup, I'd expect Fulham to win.

Thank you to Andrew for taking the time to answer my questions.

http://derbycountyfan.com/2014/10/27/the-opposition-view-fulham-vs-derby/?

WhiteJC

Rangers linked with loan move for ex-Fulham star Dempsey

QPR will be keen to sign Clint Dempsey on loan in January, the Daily Mirror say.

Aston Villa and Stoke are also tipped to show an interest in the 31-year-old former Fulham star.

Dempsey is expected to be made available for a loan move by Seattle Sounders, having returned to Fulham on loan from the Major Soccer League outfit last season.

Tony Fernandes' comments on Twitter on Sunday morning are picked up by a number of newspapers, including The Guardian and the Daily Express.

Fernandes claimed he would quit as QPR chairman if fans wanted him to and insisted manager Harry Redknapp should be judged when key players return from injury.

Meanwhile, Rio Ferdinand has insisted he has not decided whether he will hang up his boots at the end of the season and has denied reports he could even retire in January.

QPR's former England defender said in a recent television interview that this season would "probably" be his last.

But he told The Sun: "People have put two and two together and made six. I certainly never said I might finish in January.

"My comment about probably ending at the end of the season was a bit of an off-the-cuff remark which got taken as fact.

"The truth is, I haven't decided yet. There is a one-year option to continue.

"I know it's going to end at some point and I am in the final stages of my career but I honestly don't know what is going to happen."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/features-comment/football-wls-rangers-stoke-and-aston-villa-want-ex-fulham-man-report

WhiteJC

Jesse is loving life at Stanley

Jesse Joronen is loving life at Stanley as he follows in Marcus Bettinelli's footsteps.

Fulham loan keeper Bettinelli was a star for the Reds last season and Joronen took the advice of his team-mate to use his month's loan spell at the Store First Stadium to his, and Stanley's, advantage.

The Finnish keeper said: "I have enjoyed the past few weeks, playing alongside the lads and meeting with them.

"They are a very nice bunch of lads and I love it, it's lovely to be around here. They have taken me in and games have started to go well.

"When I knew Accrington wanted to take me on loan, Marcus told me loads and everything was good. I felt comfortable to come here as Marcus said so many good things about Accrington."

Joronen admitted his debut, against Stevenage, didn't go to plan as he conceded after just 55 seconds but he has felt more confident with each performance.

"Obviously I would like to forget that first minute of my debut," he smiled. "But since then everything has gone well and we have started to pick up points and we are heading to where we are supposed to be."

As a Fulham goalie, he may have never envisaged trips to Stevenage and Newport but he is taking them all in his stride.

"They are new places to me but, as stadiums, they are still better than those in my home country and it is enjoyable coming to these places and playing games."

And now it's the build up to Friday's home derby with Morecambe.

"I am just starting to hear about what a big game this is and I am sure there will be a plenty of fans cheering for us. More fans makes you excited for the game," he added.

http://accringtonstanley.co.uk/2014/10/jesse-loving-life-stanley/?

WhiteJC

Cup Glory For U16s

Fulham won the Under-16 Premier League International Cup on Sunday.

The Whites drew their first two pool games against Wolverhampton Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers. They needed to beat Benfica to progress and a comprehensive 3-0 win sent them through.

After beating Reading 1-0 in the Semi-Final, the Whites then triumphed 2-1 against Chelsea to lift the trophy.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/27/cup-glory-for-u16s?

WhiteJC

Brentford return unlikely for Fulham striker

Bees play down speculation surrounding a possible third loan spell for Trotta

Brentford are unlikely to make a move to bring back Marcello Trotta – and even less likely to land him – according to David Weir.

The Italian U21 international spent much of the last two seasons on loan with the Bees from Fulham, but has been left kicking his heels at Craven Cottage this term.

Fulham this week made Trotta available for loan again, but Bees assistant boss Weir cannot see him coming back for a third spell at Griffin Park.

He said: "Marcello has been a good player for us over the past two years, but I'm not sure Fulham, now being a league rival, would sanction a move to us."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/brentford-return-unlikely-fulham-striker-8003525

WhiteJC

The Craven Corner: Special praise for Fulham trio as Symons continues improvement

Dan Burn of Fulham (Photo by Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images)
So we managed to get four points from the last two games and we've finally moved out of the relegation zone. Looking at the fixtures last week, I was expecting the three points to come against Rotherham with a tough game against Charlton ending a draw.

But I was proved wrong and the reverse happened. But, credit where credit is due and Kit Symons has done a tremendous job since taking over from Felix Magath, even though he's not the permanent manager at the moment.

The Rotherham game was a great example of how much happier our squad is as a whole at the moment, fighting back to make sure we got something from that game shows how much we've progressed since Magath's dictatorship. Not only that, but the biggest difference is the fact that we have a manager on the touchline again who's constantly communicating with his team rather than looking depressed hiding away in a dugout. It may sound silly, but that really does have a huge effect on proceedings. Dan Burn captained the side at Rotherham and was outstanding once again in both fixtures and finally it looks like we have a solid spine to the team. I'll be honest,

I think the first half against Charlton was one of our best performances this season. To tear apart a side that has been outstanding since day one was a incredible achievement. Furthermore, we managed to keep a clean sheet in the second half when Charlton threw absolutely everything at us. Credit to Bob Peeters and the Charlton players for that second half performance, they looked lethal through Ahearne-Grant, Franck Moussa & Bulot pulling the strings.

If they had Yoni Buyens and Igor Vetokele on the night it could have been a different game, but what is clear is that they will beat a lot of teams in this league and will have a completely different season in comparison to last years narrow escape.

I still believe that Fulham have delayed the appointment of Kit Symons though. You only have to look at Leeds to see that we should do the right thing and give the temporary manager the job and continue his success – something Cellino should have done with Redfearn originally. But, part of me believes that Kit Symons may still not get the job on basis that Shahid Khan is probably paying the five man committee to appoint a manager, and would it be funds well spent if they spent all that time working to appoint the guy who was there all along? I'm sure some people would raise eyebrows in the Financial department, but at the same time Kit Symons has proved to do a tremendous job.

Finally out of the relegation zone, and performances have been improving. A special mention to Scott Parker, Dan Burn & Ross McCormack for their performances last week. Parker, lead by example against his former club, playing with passion and drive and never gave their midfield a moments breathing space. Dan Burn won everything in the air against some incredibly tricky opponents and his vocal, dominating performances will lead to a tighter defence. As for Ross McCormack, the Scot is proving to be worth every single penny of the fee we paid Leeds. Tricky, creative & possesses real quality in this league and will be a key player for us this year and for the future. Tremendous capture by the club.

Thanks for reading, and don't be afraid to get in touch with your thoughts and opinions by tweeting me directly @ABronsSmith or @London24Sport.

Thank you.

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/the_craven_corner_special_praise_for_fulham_trio_as_symons_continues_improvement_1_3821796

WhiteJC

Kit Symons: I don't know what more I can do to be named new Fulham boss

Fan favourite: Kit Symons

Kit Symons secured his fifth win in eight games, then asked: What else must I do to be given the Fulham job?

A 3-0 win over Charlton saw Fulham pull clear of the relegation zone for the first time this season.

But chairman Shahid Khan — who appointed a five-man panel to help him replace axed former boss Felix Magath — still has not made his mind up, despite pressure from Fulham players and fans who want caretaker Symons confirmed into the position full time.

Symons said: "I don't know what more I can do to secure this job. I'm confident I'll get it, it has to be getting more difficult, with the team winning games, for the panel not to see the obvious thing to do for this club."

Support for Symons is so overwhelming that Khan would run the risk of alienating himself at the club if he was to look elsewhere.

Captain Scott Parker said: "Results are key and Kit is getting them. I speak for everyone here when I say that he is the right man for the job."

Khan's five-man advisory committee have remained largely redundant — despite drawing up a shortlist which includes Symons, Chris Hughton and Steve Clarke.

Yet none of the candidates have been formally interviewed by either Khan or his committee.

Khan is not scheduled to arrive into the UK until late next week to watch his NFL side, Jacksonville Jaguars, take on Dallas Cowboys at Wembley on November 9.

But with Fulham taking on Derby in the Capital One Cup at Craven Cottage tomorrow, pressure is mounting on him to confirm Symons's appointment sooner rather than later.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/kit-symons-i-dont-know-what-more-i-can-do-to-be-named-new-fulham-boss-9820853.html

WhiteJC

Lasse: We're Loving It

Fulham's confidence is sky high after their fine recent run, according to Lasse Vigen Christensen.

The Whites moved out of the bottom three for the first time this season after a 3-0 London derby win over Charlton Athletic on Friday.

Fulham have now tasted defeat just once in their last seven league and cup games and Christensen told the official website: "When you start playing well, you start winning games. You always take that into the next game. There are a lot of players now coming into the game with confidence. And even the boys off the bench are showing that.

"Kit Symons has come in and given us a bit of belief and we've all reacted really well and started winning games. Everyone's just enjoying it now.

"Being in the bottom three has been a little bit on our minds. It's obviously not a nice place to be, even though we feel like we've been playing well for weeks now. It's obviously good for us now."

A regular under Symons, Christensen again impressed on Friday. The midfielder ran from deep late on to tee up Hugo Rodallega for his second and Fulham's third to seal the vital victory.

"I've been playing a lot of games, which I'm very happy about," said Christensen. "As the game opened up a little bit I found new legs and new energy and felt quite good out there. I was happy to set up Hugo at the end. He set me up a few weeks back [against Bolton Wanderers] - I'm happy to pay him back!

"We came out and took the initiative from the start. I thought we played well and pressed them quite far back and won a lot of balls. We came out strong and possibly should have scored more goals than we did in the early part of the game. Then we just settled into the game and started keeping the ball a bit."

The games are certainly coming thick and fast right now for Fulham. The Whites are in action again at the Cottage on Tuesday night (8pm) when Derby County arrive in the Fifth Round of the Capital One Cup.

The Rams are currently top of the Sky Bet Championship table and thumped Fulham 5-1 in August but Christensen said: "I don't think we have to fear anyone no matter where we are in the league or where they are. I think it's more of a case that we're not where we should be.

"We had a bad game earlier in the season against Derby so obviously we have a little bit of making up to do for ourselves and also for the fans."

Tickets for Tuesday night's game against Derby are available for supporters to purchase, priced from just £15 adults and £5 juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/27/lasse-post-cafc?

WhiteJC

Fulham v Derby

CAPITAL ONE CUP FOURTH ROUND
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Tuesday, 28 October
Coverage: Text commentary online, with highlights on The League Cup Show on Wednesday, 29 October at 23:05 GMT (BBC One) or 23:35 GMT (BBC One Wales) or on Thursday, 30 October at 00:10 GMT (BBC One Scotland & Northern Ireland)

TEAM NEWS

Fulham's in-form striker Hugo Rodallega is likely to miss out after limping off against Charlton on Friday.

Fernando Amorebieta remains on the sidelines with a knee injury and striker Adam Taggart is still not fit.

Derby head coach Steve McClaren is likely to make wholesale changes to the side that lost to Wigan.

Leon Best has a illness bug and might not travel but Paul Coutts, who has been out for more than a year with a knee injury could make the squad.

MATCH PREVIEW

When these two teams met back in August Derby took full advantage of a fed-up Fulham side and thrashed them 5-1.

Fast forward two months and the Cottagers are a very different proposition indeed. Since the departure of deeply unpopular manager Felix Magath, they have been rejuvenated under the command of caretaker boss Kit Symons, who has steadied the ship and won an impressive five of his eight games in charge.

Reaching the quarter-finals of the League Cup would boost his chances of getting the job permanently.

Whether he is awarded the job full-time remains to be seen but he says he is "very confident I'll get it" and he would clearly be a popular appointment with players and fans alike.

Championship table toppers Derby were shocked at home by struggling Wigan at the weekend and a highly unimpressed head coach Steve McClaren admitted, "I would love to have made seven or eight substitutions at half time."

He could make a similar number of changes to his side for this fixture after admitting some of his players are feeling the pace.

"I think Will Hughes has played three games a week for the last six weeks," said McClaren. "May be we should not have played Will and rested him.

"We need our energy and we didn't have that, we did not play football".

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Fulham have scored eight goals in their two previous League Cup games against Derby, which came in successive seasons in 2000-01 and 2001-02.

This is the 54th meeting between the sides. Derby have won 19 matches, Fulham 17 and there have been 17 draws.

Fulham
Fulham have made the fourth round in consecutive seasons for the first time since 2002-03. Last season, they were eliminated at this stage by Leicester City.

The Whites have scored in 30 of their last 31 home games in this competition, including the last 21 in a row.

Indeed the last 17 League Cup games at Craven Cottage have averaged 4.5 goals per game.

Derby County
The Rams ended a run of eight without a win in all competitions against Fulham with a 5-1 drubbing at Pride Park in August.

Since their latest relegation from the Premier League, Derby have won three of their four League Cup ties against fellow Championship sides.

Defeat to Wigan on Saturday was Derby's first defeat in 13 matches and only their second of the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29699742

WhiteJC

Stoke City, QPR and Aston Villa all chasing former Fulham ace

Clint Dempsey could move back to England and is being chased by up to three Premier League clubs, according to reports in America.

The former Fulham and Tottenham midfielder, who has been in fine form for MLS side Seattle Sounders since signing for the club in August 2013, is attracting interest from Stoke City, QPR and Aston Villa.

Dempsey has four years left to run on his existing deal with Seattle but is likely to be available for a loan switch in January to the Premier League before the new MLS season starts in March.

The USA international, 31, returned to his old club Fulham last season in the same period on a short-term loan deal but could not help the Whites avoid relegation from the top-flight.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/stoke-city-qpr-and-aston-villa-all-chasing-former-fulham-ace-141027121069#heht1wuZFqjQoVq6.99

WhiteJC

Cup Tickets

Fulham take on Derby County in Round Four of the Capital One Cup on Tuesday evening (Tuesday 28th October, 8pm) and tickets are available for supporters to purchase now, with adults priced at £15 and juniors just £5.

As with the Doncaster Rovers game in Round Three, Season Ticket Holders who renewed during our 'Loyalty Window' - before 5pm on 9th May 2014 - are entitled to complimentary seat for this fixture. Season Ticket Holders wishing to claim their free ticket are reminded that they have until midnight on Monday 27th October to redeem their seat.

Season Ticket Holders will be issued with paper tickets for this match – their season card will not be in use.

Supporters who purchase an e-ticket for this match will need to ensure they print their e-ticket in high quality at home before arriving at the stadium. Please note that e-tickets on mobile phones cannot be used for entry. Any supporter who is unable to print their e-ticket in advance, is advised to buy in person from the cash turnstiles available on Tuesday evening.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/october/27/cup-tickets?

WhiteJC

U18S REPORT: Charlton 1 Fulham 1

Charlton's U18s shared a 1-1 friendly draw with Fulham at Sparrows Lane on Saturday morning
Olly Groome reports

Charlton's U18s shared a 1-1 friendly draw with Fulham at Sparrows Lane on Saturday morning.

The clash against the category one side was arranged after Crystal Palace had pulled out of the originally-scheduled league fixture to give the youngsters vital weekend match practice.

And the organised young Addicks dominated most of the proceedings despite being caught out by a counter-attack and falling behind after 20 minutes.

The deserved equaliser came from the penalty spot five minutes before the break when Joshua Umerah was hauled down, and the striker dusted himself off to dispatch his spot-kick to make it 1-1.

With Charlton continuing to dominate possession after the break, they could rightfully be disappointed not to secure victory over their west London counterparts but missed chances to do so, most notably when Adomola Lookman steamed into the box, beating one defender before he missed the target with just the goalkeeper to beat.

But despite having to settle for a draw, Professional Development Coach Sergei Baltacha (U17-U18) was delighted with his young side's showing in New Eltham.

"They're a category one side so we expected a tough game," he explained.

"They are a very good side so it was interesting to see how the boys would approach it. They did themselves proud against a very good side.

"All the boys did very well they kept the standard we've seen all season."

He continued: "In the second half we dominated possession and had all the chances. We managed to prevent them from having any real chances in the second half and we would have deserved to win it.

"It was a very good performance and we had opportunity to score with a couple of chances, but in general it was an outstanding performance both from the players individually and collectively as a team."

"In the midweek friendlies we're only using boys who need game time," added Baltacha.

"We don't consider those results as seriously. But because the game against Palace was postponed, we needed to play with the team we were supposed to play with so we can keep up our preparation for the next game. That's how we develop and it's important to keep the system right."

The U18s return to league action with a trip to Swansea City on Saturday (12pm).

Charlton: Mitov (Beeney 60); Barnes (Stanic-Stewart 85), Bokciu, Konsa, Yao (Birch 65); Lapslie (Leon 80), Bone (Cook 65), Kelly; Hanlan, Umerah (Afolabi 65), Lookman.

Goal: Umerah 40 (pen)

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20141027-u18s-report-charlton-1-fulham-1-2044002.aspx#wXK5SRvWCFy5a5pe.99

WhiteJC

Joronen excited for derby clash

Accrington goalkeeper Jesse Joronen admits he is excited about the prospect of playing in the League Two derby at home to Morecambe.

The Finn has made three straight starts since joining for a month from Fulham and will again be between the posts when the Shrimps visit the Crown Ground.

"I am just starting to hear about what a big game this is and I am sure there will be plenty of fans cheering for us," he told the club's official website. "More fans makes you excited for the game."

After starting the campaign playing in four Championship fixtures for the Cottagers, dropping down two divisions could be seen as a culture shock, but not for Joronen.

Having made trips to Stevenage and Newport, the 6ft 5in 21-year-old added: "They are new places to me but, as stadiums, they are still better than those in my home country and it is enjoyable coming to these places and playing games."

http://www.teamtalk.com/accrington-stanley/9537451/-?

WhiteJC

DERBY COUNTY: Defender set to return for cup tie at Fulham but striker is a doubt

RYAN Shotton is set to return to the Derby County squad for Tuesday night's Capital One Cup fourth round tie against Fulham - but striker Leon Best is a doubt.

Shotton missed Saturday's Championship fixture against Wigan Athletic due to illness but trained with the Rams on Monday.

However, Best is now feeling unwell and faces a late check on his fitness as to whether he will be involved at Craven Cottage.

The front man, on loan from Blackburn Rovers, started against Reading in the previous round of the competition.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/DERBY-COUNTY-Defender-set-return-cup-tie-Fulham/story-23617236-detail/story.html?#ixzz3HNDOV6M8
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

WhiteJC

Rodallega set to miss out

Hugo Rodallega could be missing for Fulham when they host Derby in the Capital One Cup.

The striker limped off shortly after scoring his second goal in Friday night's 3-0 win over Charlton and, although the problem is not serious, he is likely to be rested for the midweek tie. Skipper Scott Parker could also drop down to the bench as caretaker boss Kit Symons rotates his squad with the likes of Patrick Roberts, George Williams and Cauley Woodrow pushing for some game time. Fernando Amorebieta is still out with a knee injury and Adam Taggart remains sidelined as he recovers from a groin problem. Ryan Shotton looks like being available for Derby but Leon Best may miss out. Shotton missed Saturday's home defeat to Wigan because of illness but it is thought the defender has now recovered. However, striker Best now has a bug and he may not travel. Rams head coach Steve McClaren is expected to make changes for the tie. Simon Dawkins made his return from a five-match absence with a hip injury against the Latics and the forward could start at Craven Cottage. McClaren may also use the game to keep the likes of Omar Mascarell ticking over, while Jake Buxton and Jeff Hendrick are also options. Kelle Roos could also return in goal. Midfielder Paul Coutts, out for more than a year with a dislocated kneecap and then a hip problem, also has a chance of being involved in the squad after completing 90 minutes for the development squad last week.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/rodallega-set-to-miss-out-1745452.html?

WhiteJC

DERBY COUNTY: Chance for Rams keeper to stake his claim at Fulham

GOALKEEPER Kelle Roos will get another chance to show what he can do in Derby County's Capital One Cup clash with Fulham.

The Dutchman is set to start the fourth round encounter at Craven Cottage on Tuesday night, as on-loan stopper Jack Butland is cup tie.

Butland, who has played twice in this season's competition for parent club Stoke City, has been covering for injured number one Lee Grant (ankle).

Roos' only first-team appearance for Derby so far came in the last round of the cup, against Reading.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/DERBY-COUNTY-Chance-Rams-keeper-stake-claim/story-23617703-detail/story.html?#ixzz3HNE0y4iN
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham v Derby preview
Hugo Rodallega could be missing for Fulham when they host Derby in the Capital One Cup.

Hugo Rodallega: Could miss out for Fulham

The striker limped off shortly after scoring his second goal in Friday night's 3-0 win over Charlton and, although the problem is not serious, he is likely to be rested for the midweek tie.

Skipper Scott Parker could also drop down to the bench as caretaker boss Kit Symons rotates his squad with the likes of Patrick Roberts, George Williams and Cauley Woodrow pushing for some game time.

Fernando Amorebieta is still out with a knee injury and Adam Taggart remains sidelined as he recovers from a groin problem.

Ryan Shotton looks like being available for Derby but Leon Best may miss out.

Shotton missed Saturday's home defeat to Wigan because of illness but it is thought the defender has now recovered. However, striker Best now has a bug and he may not travel.

Rams head coach Steve McClaren is expected to make changes for the tie. Simon Dawkins made his return from a five-match absence with a hip injury against the Latics and the forward could start at Craven Cottage. McClaren may also use the game to keep the likes of Omar Mascarell ticking over, while Jake Buxton and Jeff Hendrick are also options. Kelle Roos could also return in goal.

Midfielder Paul Coutts, out for more than a year with a dislocated kneecap and then a hip problem, also has a chance of being involved in the squad after completing 90 minutes for the development squad last week.

http://www.football365.com/derby-county/9537547/-?

WhiteJC

'If We Can Play The Way We Can, Then There Is No Reason Why We Can't Progress'

Rams midfielder only has eyes for Quarter-Final spot ahead of trip to Fulham tomorrow night

It seems an age since Derby County turned out at Brunton Park to face Carlisle United in a potentially tricky Capital One Cup encounter.

Derby have since gone on to overcome Charlton Athletic and Reading in the competition to set up tomorrow's clash against a vastly improving Fulham side.

The Quarter-Finals beckon for the winner, but according to Craig Bryson, tomorrow night's trip to Craven Cottage is going to prove just as difficult as the First Round encounter with Carlisle United.

The Rams go into the game on the back of Saturday's 2-1 defeat to Wigan Athletic – a result that ended Derby's 12 game unbeaten run – and a performance that Steve McClaren said felt like he had not been watching his side that afternoon.

Now Bryson says the aim is to get back to looking like Derby as they continue to go about their Capital One Cup journey in the 'right way'.

Speaking to Rams Player, the 27-year-old said: "We've won the games, progressed and we want to have a good cup run this year.

"We are going about it the right, but we have a tough game away at Fulham to keep that going.

"They (all the games) have all been tough, you know what it is like in the cup when you go to Carlisle.

"They want to up their game to beat us, we would be a big scalp for them. Then you come up against two Championship sides and everybody in this division thinks they can beat anybody they play.

"We know how hard that's going to be and it's going to be the same down at Fulham tomorrow night. If we can play the way we can, then there is no reason why we can't progress."

The Fulham side Derby face tomorrow night will be completely different to one that the Rams struck five against back in August.

Since Felix Magath departed in mid-September, Fulham, under the guidance of Kit Symons, the Caretaker Manager, have won four of their last seven games to climb out of the Sky Bet Championship relegation places.

The Cottagers have beaten Brentford and Doncaster to secure their place in tomorrow's Fourth Round encounter and Bryson is predicting a much tougher encounter this time round, but says everyone in the changing room at Derby are only targeting a place in the last eight of the competition.

He added: "When they came to the stadium, they didn't look that confident to be honest and we, rightly, won on that day.

"I watched them the other night and they played really well against Charlton and looked like they was playing full of confidence and playing as a team.

"I have never really had a cup run at Derby for as long as I have been here, so I would love to progress.

"Everyone in the changing room wants to progress, as a team, we want to go through and have a good cup run. It's another chance for us against a Championship side so we will see how it goes."

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/if-we-can-play-the-way-we-can-then-there-is-no-reason-why-we-cant-progress-2044282.aspx#OmDDRKXGovyO8Fk2.99

WhiteJC

The day Fulham gave Derby County's new boss a nightmare start

Rewind to October 2001 as Colin Todd's first game in charge is one he'll never forget

Colin Todd won't forget his first game as Derby County manager in a hurry - and neither will Fulham fans.

Todd rolled up at Craven Cottage on October 2001 for their League Cup tie hoping to make a statement having replaced Jim Smith.

But instead it was the Cottagers who laid down a marker, recording a 5-2 victory over the Rams.

And White caretaker boss Kit Symons and his team will be aiming for a repeat of that  success on Tuesday night when the two teams come face to face in the Capital One Cup fourth round.

It will also be an opportunity for the hosts to avenge their 5-1 Championship thumping at Pride Park back in August.

But 13 years ago it was Fulham who ran riot in the third round tie against Todd and his team.   

It would be a baptism of fire for the manager and an indication of the struggles Todd would face with the club at that time in debt and second from bottom in the Premiership.

Fulham boss Jean Tigana fielded a near full strength side which included the Whites £11.5million record signing, Steve Marlet.

Meanwhile some of the club's future star players including Louis Saha, Edwin Van Der Sar, Luis Boa Morte and Steed Malbranque were on the bench.

Craig Burley gave the visitors a shock lead when he scored in the 19th minute, however Barry Hayles equalised for Fulham before half time.

After the break Fabrizio Ravanelli put the Rams 2-1 up after 54 minutes, however the hosts dominated the remainder of the game.

Sylvain Legwinski equalised for the home side with his headed effort before a John Collins free-kick put them ahead.

And then second half substitute Saha scored Fulham's fourth in the 71st minute after he broke through the midfield and fired past keeper Andy Oakes from 18 yards.

Fellow substitute Malbranque then converted a spot kick to round off a comprehensive victory for Tigana's side.

Todd was sacked after just three months in charge and these days is managing Danish club Randers Freja.

As for Fulham that year, their League Cup run ended in the next round with a 2-1 home defeat to Tottenham but they finished 13th in the Premier League and qualified for the Intertoto Cup.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/day-fulham-gave-derby-countys-8006102?

WhiteJC

WILL IT BE ANOTHER THREE MAN ATTACK FOR SYMONS? FULHAM LINE UP V DERBY COUNTY

Fulham have been resurgent under interim manager Kit Symons and will be looking to bring that form to the League Cup against Derby on Tuesday.

Symons has adopted a 5-2-3 for a couple of games this season, although we expect him to go for a wider midfield with a 4-3-3 against Derby.

Our chosen back four have the most consistently high game percent, with three of the four playing 75% or more of the time.

Overall, they've played together six times so far this seasons with an even split of wins and losses alongside 67 collective Championship appearances.

A front three is arguably quite unusual, but with three quality strikers in his ranks, it's not surprising the Symons has been using them.

Both Ross McCormack and Hugo Rodellega have been stand outs so far this term, although the latter has done so in much fewer appearances, and both are good bets to find the net on Tuesday

http://www.kickoff.co.uk/28254/will-it-be-another-three-man-attack-for-symons-fulham-line-up-v-derby-county/?