watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Was it right to sing the names of past players

Started by The Swan, October 27, 2014, 08:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Was it right to sing the names of past players at the Charlton game. I am sure that the current players did not like it very much. They were trying to win the match for us. Doing their best for us supporters and hearing the names of past players. Also what an insult to Kit when our supporters were singing Roys name.
I am sure that if supporters want this present team to win games then they should sing out the names of the players who are on the pitch trying their best.
The Swan

Andy S

I don't see the problem. It wasn't meant as an insult it was letting Charlton supporters know that we have had some great players over the years if anything

BestOfBrede

Quote from: The Swan on October 27, 2014, 08:50:17 PM
Was it right to sing the names of past players at the Charlton game. I am sure that the current players did not like it very much. They were trying to win the match for us. Doing their best for us supporters and hearing the names of past players. Also what an insult to Kit when our supporters were singing Roys name.
I am sure that if supporters want this present team to win games then they should sing out the names of the players who are on the pitch trying their best.
d
:plus one:

Barrett487

Rodney McAree ?

you've made it if you get ur own song

HatterDon

As long as it isn't Clint Dempsey's song, it seems alright with me.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Jack Fulham

Or it might inspire them to leave a legacy so their name might get chanted in the next 20-30 years.

Of course footballers only care about money now :54:

I don't think it has a detrimental effect on our players, they have to drown out worse chants than ones about our former players.

Putney

Doubt the players noticed. Even if they did then you'd hope that they'd just realise it's the fans having some fun.

ron

They sing the names of long-gone saints in churches....it doesn't seem to upset the present clergy...?

Whiteroom

Naa, after at least an hour of almost non-stop "stand up for Kit Symonds" and "We've got out Fulham back" and weeks upon weeks of supporting the team with extra vigour I think they'd have to be pretty thin skinned to mind that. It was definitely a bit of fun, at a moment in a game where we were looking fairly comfortable. A sign of good spirits around the cottage. I enjoyed it, and when most of the players came over the applaud the Hammy end after the game they just seemed damn happy, and pleased with the continued vocal support.

HatterDon

Quote from: Jack Fulham on October 27, 2014, 11:38:55 PM
Or it might inspire them to leave a legacy so their name might get chanted in the next 20-30 years.

I don't think it has a detrimental effect on our players, they have to drown out worse chants than ones about our former players.

I think it's fair to say that players have two things on their mind when they're on the pitch:

1. trying to get a good result for the team
2. trying NOT to look like an ass in front of thousands of people

I'm sure they are honored to have a song dedicated to them, but those two things have to be paramount or a player's career doesn't last as long as a gypsy moth's life.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

alfie

Quote from: Jack Fulham on October 27, 2014, 11:38:55 PM

Of course footballers only care about money now

Are they any different to anyone of us doing our jobs, surely we are all concerned about how much our pay packet is, after all this is their living not a hobbie, the fact that some players earn obscene amounts is a product of the game.

Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

leonffc

Was talking about this during and after the game. Our crowd really do need to move on from Al Fayed and ex players and get behind the current crop.
Yeah the odd bit of recognition is nice but non stop history melodies I don't get. Surely we can come up with something for the lads out there?
Admin touched on a point though. Charlton hate Danny Murphy (as well as Scott Parker) so singing his name was good!! If only they could hear it down the other end.

blingo

Quote from: leonffc on October 28, 2014, 08:45:20 AM
Was talking about this during and after the game. Our crowd really do need to move on from Al Fayed and ex players and get behind the current crop.
Yeah the odd bit of recognition is nice but non stop history melodies I don't get. Surely we can come up with something for the lads out there?
Admin touched on a point though. Charlton hate Danny Murphy (as well as Scott Parker) so singing his name was good!! If only they could hear it down the other end.

Well said m8.

dannyboi-ffc

Why would a player get upset if an ex Fulham greats name was sung??? To me that is very sensitive if true.

I'm the opposite, I get sick and tired of our fans singing pat roberts name or mouse dembele at every opportunity when neither has done anything this season so far to deserve recognition. Yet george Williams, bodurov burn, lvc, hoogland, bettinelli etc work their socks off every week and don't get a sniff. I know what would frustrate me more as a player.

Invent a song for the players that deserve one and then the odd Al fayed song won't offend anybody. But like with every season certain players get favouritism when it comes to songs, until that is evened out I don't really see your point.

Nothing against dembele and pat by the way but they do get special treatment and it counter acts your original post
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

epsomraver

Dembele is a rehashed song for the other one, not heard the pat Roberts one, We all chant Hugo as he interacts with the fans, at least we dropped the awful stand up if you hate " them "

The players have to create their own rapport with the fans, watch how many acknowledge the cheer when their name is read out tonight, which come and applaud the fans and which just go straight off the field,  some do and that is why the fans will sing their name more

The Equalizer

I don't see the issue with it. We've done it plenty of times over the years when someone starts up an 'Oh Harry Bayles...', and it ends up going through Boa Morte, Saha, Clark etc... it's just a tribute to some of our greatest and favourite players.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Southcoastffc

Quote from: ron on October 27, 2014, 11:50:30 PM
They sing the names of long-gone saints in churches....it doesn't seem to upset the present clergy...?
best response EVER on this board!
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.