watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

set pieces

Started by nose, November 01, 2014, 05:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

today they were a total joke. we didn't take a single decent free kick, corner or throw in..... depressing that profesionals can't manage to deliver a reasonable quality ball consistently

ChesterTheTabby

Missing our best set piece deliverer (Ross) now for three games
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Jamie88

Angers me why the staff think letting Ruiz take corners and free kicks out wide is a good idea

nose

Quote from: maoconnor on November 01, 2014, 05:23:22 PM

i think its one game for two yellows.

YankeeJim

Quote from: maoconnor on November 01, 2014, 05:23:22 PM

Isn't it one game for two yellows?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Only Me

YankeeJim

Quote from: nose on November 01, 2014, 05:13:02 PM
today they were a total joke. we didn't take a single decent free kick, corner or throw in..... depressing that profesionals can't manage to deliver a reasonable quality ball consistently

Hard to see the set pieces having only Jim but who else would you have take them? If Ross does he's not in the box scrapping for the feed and Ruiz would be, getting pushed around. Plus, he it gets cleared, who do you think will get back to defend, Ross or Bryan? I'm not suggesting I know the answer, just playing the devil's advocate.

Fulham1959

Do penalties count as set-pieces ?

:005:

FFCsince64

Since Ruiz never gets past the first defender on corners, almost anyone else would do better.  Surely, Parker knows how to place a corner properly.  Give Ruiz credit today for putting two in the net, but he is not suited to launch corners.

fulhamben

Quote from: FFCsince64 on November 01, 2014, 07:11:42 PM
Since Ruiz never gets past the first defender on corners, almost anyone else would do better.  Surely, Parker knows how to place a corner properly.  Give Ruiz credit today for putting two in the net, but he is not suited to launch corners.
i thought ross was just as bad at corners today. what bugs me was the ball from ruiz and ross were going in the same place every time and not one player thought, ill go there and flick it on
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

leonffc

Quote from: Jamie88 on November 01, 2014, 05:25:31 PM
Angers me why the staff think letting Ruiz take corners and free kicks out wide is a good idea

I guess they look at the bigger picture. He's never going to challenge for a header in a crowded box and there's no point having him on the halfway line defending a breakaway 2v2. He probably does less damage taking them

grandad

I only played as a right back in Sunday League but I took all the corners as I was 99% sure of putting in a good one. I practiced for hours. I just don´t see why our highly skilled players find it so difficult. I never had one of these modern beach balls but a water sodden lump of leather & I still never found it difficult.
Where there's a will there's a wife

VicHalomsLovechild

We have been absolutely pants at free kicks since Jim Bullard Bullard left and they stopped Bairdino taking long throws. I think it's pi$$ poor that something where you have an advantage and where you have the opportunity to practice day in day out, is so often so underwhelming.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: grandad on November 01, 2014, 07:37:42 PM
I only played as a right back in Sunday League but I took all the corners as I was 99% sure of putting in a good one. I practiced for hours. I just don´t see why our highly skilled players find it so difficult. I never had one of these modern beach balls but a water sodden lump of leather & I still never found it difficult.

I agree, and somehow we use to deliver the ball without the lacing gashing someones forehead.
Damn those balls got heavy in the mud, not like these 'Fridos'    :0)

And we did it with 3" leather studs at the bottom of our ankle high leather boots which we had to clean
and polish with dubbin every week to keep them soft.
Even Brian Ruiz wouldn't be afraid to tackle in those boots.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on November 01, 2014, 09:16:19 PM
We have been absolutely pants at free kicks since Jim Bullard Bullard left and they stopped Bairdino taking long throws. I think it's pi$$ poor that something where you have an advantage and where you have the opportunity to practice day in day out, is so often so underwhelming.

Wonder how much Cardiff would take for Peter Whittingham
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Humbled

Quote from: fulhamben on November 01, 2014, 07:14:43 PM
Quote from: FFCsince64 on November 01, 2014, 07:11:42 PM
i thought ross was just as bad at corners today. what bugs me was the ball from ruiz and ross were going in the same place every time and not one player thought, ill go there and flick it on

I don't rate Ross set pieces at all. The way he takes them (strikes the ball as tho he is shooting) it is a difficult technique and I don't think he is anywhere near mastering it. When it comes off tho it is a quality way of delivering a ball.

fulhamben

Quote from: Riether Lightning 63 on November 01, 2014, 09:19:54 PM
Quote from: VicHalomsLovechild on November 01, 2014, 09:16:19 PM

Wonder how much Cardiff would take for Peter Whittingham
im sure ive seen lvc take and score free kicks for his country. cant see ross giving them up when he isnt scoring from open play though
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

YankeeJim

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on November 01, 2014, 09:19:44 PM
Quote from: grandad on November 01, 2014, 07:37:42 PM

I agree, and somehow we use to deliver the ball without the lacing gashing someones forehead.

And we did it with 3" leather studs at the bottom of our ankle high leather boots which we had to clean

Was that before or after Cromwell left office?

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

[/quote]

[/quote]

Way before that.  Have you seen "Pillars of the Earth"    It was about them  1100's  (ish)
We used a pigs spleen as a ball.
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

YankeeJim

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on November 01, 2014, 11:42:23 PM

[/quote]
[/i]

Way before that.  Have you seen "Pillars of the Earth"    It was about them  1100's  (ish)
We used a pigs spleen as a ball.
[/quote]

I would imagine all that kicking about would tenderize that spleen for some decent haggis after the match.