watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

For the working refs on this site

Started by HatterDon, November 03, 2014, 02:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

I know there's more than a few on this site. I have a question for you.

I know that players like to fall on the ball to force the ref to make a call. Because he's touched the ball, the ref is forced to call either a foul on the fallen player or a foul on the player who felled him. Until saturday, I'd never seen anyone do that in the penalty area, since the stakes are higher there. When the Wigan player lay on the pitch with the ball tucked firmly between his arm and his body, it seems to me that the ref had two choices: foul on Fulham or a penalty. Instead, he did nothing and Wigan cleared the ball.

Can you tell me if there's a third option? Or did the ref swallow his whistle and choke? Thanks in advance.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

LBNo11

...yes that was a very strange situation, I was sure we had a penalty. The ref didn't speak to any players or consult his linesman...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

NogoodBoyo

No refs on board to explain, Big D - unless Sir Les wore a black shirt in his yoof.
Nogood "very hard not to see that as a penalty, isit" Boyo

bobbo

Ok I'll do my best but I've not refereed for a very long time and things have changed.having said that I used run the referee courses at uxbridge 30+ years ago so I knew the laws of the game parrot fashion.
I hav'nt seen the incident but from what you say I would have given and indirect free kick to the attacking team it amounts to obstruction as far as I can gather,but when do you see refs give indirect free kicks nowadays inside the area, it just doesn't happen. It used to.----- bobbo
1975 just leaving home full of hope

westcliff white

the situation is def a indirect free kick and not a penalty
Every day is a Fulham day

FFCAli

Quote from: westcliff white on November 03, 2014, 01:34:24 PM
the situation is def a indirect free kick and not a penalty
Why?  Doesn't it make a difference what part of his body is on the ball?  (I'm not arguing, just curious)

bobbo

Yes of course, he's not actually handling the ball- which of course is a penalty- but using his body to deliberately stop an opponent playing the ball, what was know as a technical offence not a penal offence for which it's a direct free kick.
Any direct free kick offence inside the area is a penalty

1975 just leaving home full of hope

westcliff white

exactly if he is on to of the ball holding with arms or hands then its a penalty, obstruction is an indirect free kick anywhere on the pitch and thus this would have been the case.

I cant remember the last time i saw obstruction given in the area.
Every day is a Fulham day

epsomraver

One point many seem to miss especially commentators is that the law says the handball has to be deliberate!

Cravenawin

Quote from: epsomraver on November 03, 2014, 02:09:17 PM
One point many seem to miss especially commentators is that the law says the handball has to be deliberate!

Try telling that to Phil Dowd and the outrageous penalty he gave to Arsenal when we drew 3-3 at the Emirates a couple of seasons ago. Reither was a yard away when Arshavin hit the ball against his arm ( which was not outstretched but by his side). Dowd then motioned that he stuck his arm out. Deliberate, never in a million years. Luckily Swartz saved it.

HatterDon

thanks, gents. I hadn't given the indirect free kick option consideration. It is clear from what I've read here, though, that there should have been a whistle to stop play.

I hope there'll be more contributions to this thread. Thanks again.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Rupert

The word "deliberate" no longer applies, it is entirelly possible to accidently handle the ball and give away a penalty, it is also possible (though risky) to deliberately allow the ball to hit your hand and not give away a penalty. The question is, is it hand to ball (the hand/arm moves to intercept the flight of the ball, whether deliberately to block or as part of normal movement) or has the ball struck a hand/arm that has not moved. A player swinging his arms around in the area may have no intention of handling the ball, but a mis-hit shot or awkward bounce may bring the ball into contact with his flailing arm and a penalty results. A player who falls over, either as the result of losing his balance or from some contact, whether a foul or not, may get the benefit of the doubt if the ball then hits his arm when he is on the ground. If he grasps the ball, that should be a foul, unless the ref has already decided to stop the game for a foul on the player.
As stated above, blocking access to the ball is obstruction, and an indirect free kick, even inside the penalty area. If inside the goal area, the kick takes place from the edge of the goal area, six yards from goal, with the entire defending team on the goal line, ready to rush the ball as soon as an attacker touches it (indirect free kick, can't be kicked straight in). Those are fun to adjudicate.
I have awarded a penalty for just that sort of thing, much to the collective ire of the team that lost the game as a result (that, and their inability to hit a barn door), I have also waved away claims when the ball has struck the arm of a prone player. As with much else, it depends on the referee's view of the incident.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.