News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Ched Evans- would you want him back if it was us?

Started by dannyboi-ffc, November 11, 2014, 08:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

absent cottager

It's interesting the faith that a lot of people show in the 'justice' system, I'm glad he's not a Fulham player, but I'm not convinced he's wholly guilty, or innocent but I certainly wouldn't condemn him based on mainstream media reports, and because he's been convicted through the British court system. Does anyone think for example that Julian Assange is guilty of rape?

Berserker

I've no idea about Assange, he hasn't been to Court yet
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Holders

It's very upsetting that Jess Ennis has been receiving offensive communications through "social media" in response to her stance. It's her name that's attached to the stand and she has every right to say in what circumstances it should or should not remain. It's more personal even than the discussion as to whether Mr Evans plays for the club again.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

TonyGilroy

Quote from: absent cottager on November 15, 2014, 01:17:51 AM
It's interesting the faith that a lot of people show in the 'justice' system, I'm glad he's not a Fulham player, but I'm not convinced he's wholly guilty, or innocent but I certainly wouldn't condemn him based on mainstream media reports, and because he's been convicted through the British court system. Does anyone think for example that Julian Assange is guilty of rape?

I'm a lawyer with no faith in the English justice system but in the absence of anything better?

I don't think any of us should assume to know this case better than the jury but that doesn't mean that they were necessarily right.

epsomraver

As you know Tony jurors are instructed by the judge that they can only find guilty if they feel beyond all reasonable doubt that the defendant is guilty and that can only be based on what they have heard in court, not what they suppose happened or any other reason, that is why as a lot of people have said when having done jury service that the guilty do walk free, they did when I did jury service, purely because the defence put up a better argument than the prosecution, but that is the system we have rely on better some guilty walk free than innocent be convicted.
As none of us were at the trial we can only speculate along with the media what really happened.
The real question is that in true British justice, he has served his time as dictated by the court so should he be allowed now to take his place back in society? I believe he should otherwise the whole rehabilitation system and argument is flawed from the start

dannyboi-ffc

I realise the original question was would you want him back if it was Fulham?  But I find it a little disturbing the majority defending his right to take his place back in society/rehabilitation etc wouldn't want him at Fulham but don't have an issue with another club signing him because it's up to them.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's kind of double standards. You'd like to avoid the bad media attention and shame it could bring to us but aren't bothered if he causes outrage elsewhere.

You need to ask yourself why wouldn't you want him at Fulham?  He's served his time in your eyes so what's different about him playing for us? That part doesn't make sense to me. You either don't think he should play full stop or you think he has to be given a second chance.  You cant have a decisive opinion if you want the best of both worlds
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Oakeshott

"It's very upsetting that Jess Ennis has been receiving offensive communications through "social media" in response to her stance"

Agreed, and apparently all too common these days.

I do think JE was ill-advised to go public on her remove-my-name stance, though. Let the SU Chairman know of her intention, of course, but going public, as indeed has some clown politician in Wales with his views, smacks of the abuse of Glenn Hoddle by Tony Blair. I'm not defending GH's frankly bizarre views, any more than I am criticising JE for her remove-my-name stance. But I do hate it when public figures generate or feed a public witch-hunt - it is nothing more or less than bullying, which is always cruel.

TonyGilroy

If he got a job as a bus driver I doubt that many people would refuse to ride in his bus.

A football club is massively and emotionally "owned" by the supporters and I think the decision makers at the club - any club - should be guided by the opinions of the fans in decisions like this.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 15, 2014, 09:44:20 AM

If he got a job as a bus driver I doubt that many people would refuse to ride in his bus.

A football club is massively and emotionally "owned" by the supporters and I think the decision makers at the club - any club - should be guided by the opinions of the fans in decisions like this.

I'm a bus driver and id feel very uncomfortable working with someone who had done that. I find it very hard to believe he would ever be given a job that was a service to the public. Transport, hospitals, schools and things like that. Rape doesn't look good on a CV/criminal record.  I don't think I could even have a conversation with him if we worked together,  I have two daughters and no rehabilitation or regret could ever make me be civil to them. I don't care if he has a job and I don't care that he has his freedom but I certainly wouldn't be happy about him working with me. I think I'd hand in a transfer request but that's hypothetical. He would never be given a job on the buses.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Bracken White

As far as the law is concerned he's served his time.
Very, very difficult situation with strong views on all sides. Given the above should he not be at liberty to continue his career?
Stay Fulhamish ~ stay unique

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Bracken White on November 15, 2014, 09:56:17 AM
Very, very difficult situation with strong views on all sides. Given the above should he not be at liberty to continue his career?

Would a police officer continue their career? Or a firefighter, a teacher, a doctor. The answer is no. There are 1000's of jobs out there out of the public eye that he could do. I don't think serving time warrants automatically getting a career back and the fact he would be paid more than all of the careers i mentioned above shows what a joke football is. The girl didn't deserve to be raped and he doesn't deserve his old life back. Start again and deal with the pressures of life that everyone else has to deal with. Not being a footballer doesn't mean no job at all

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

fulhamben

Quote from: Bracken White on November 15, 2014, 09:56:17 AM
quote author=Bracken White link=topic=43961.msg608333#msg608333 date=1416045377]
[/quote]no, he gave up the right for a career in entertainment the second he raped that girl. and what kind of person would willingly pay to watch and cheer a rapist.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Holders

Isn't it the case that, if he played in England again, he'd get so much stick and abuse that his presence, however good he might be otherwise, would be counter-productive? I can only see him playing abroad.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

fulhamben

Quote from: Holders on November 15, 2014, 10:35:36 AM
Isn't it the case that, if he played in England again, he'd get so much stick and abuse that his presence, however good he might be otherwise, would be counter-productive? I can only see him playing abroad.
yes, i can imagine protests everytime there is an away game. can you imagine all the parents having to explain to their children what a scum bag rapist is. the only reason there isnt a fa rule blocking rapists from playing is that they never envisaged a football club   would consider hiring one

epsomraver

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on November 15, 2014, 09:52:38 AM

I'm a bus driver and id feel very uncomfortable working with someone who had done that. I find it very hard to believe he would ever be given a job that was a service to the public. Transport, hospitals, schools and things like that. Rape doesn't look good on a CV/criminal record.  I don't think I could even have a conversation with him if we worked together,  I have two daughters and no rehabilitation or regret could ever make me be civil to them. I don't care if he has a job and I don't care that he has his freedom but I certainly wouldn't be happy about him working with me. I think I'd hand in a transfer request but that's hypothetical. He would never be given a job on the buses.

Sorry to say Danny what  you say about being given a job on the buses is not true, I know this for a fact it strangely happened where you work on the engineering side,  you have to remember there are time statutes that apply to criminal records being valid

His best option to me is to go abroad but he cannot at present while on licence I believe

filham

Rape convictions are very delicate as usually there are no witnesses and it is just one person's word against another's.

Anyway the guy has served a sentence and I am not sure that it is legal or right to continue to refuse him employment. How long would you keep him unemployed.

fulhamben

Quote from: filham on November 15, 2014, 12:55:12 PM
Rape convictions are very delicate as usually there are no witnesses and it is just one person's word against another's.

Anyway the guy has served a sentence and I am not sure that it is legal or right to continue to refuse him employment. How long would you keep him unemployed.
? No one is saying he shouldn't work, just not in entertainment. And no airport will hire even a cleaner if they don't have a clean ccj (criminal record check) so are you saying they are breaking the law by not allowing criminals to work there. Having a criminal record and being on the sex register does restrict what you can do, and rightly so or what would be the point of them in first place

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: epsomraver on November 15, 2014, 12:10:25 PM

Sorry to say Danny what  you say about being given a job on the buses is not true, I know this for a fact it strangely happened where you work on the engineering side,  you have to remember there are time statutes that apply to criminal records being valid

His best option to me is to go abroad but he cannot at present while on licence I believe

Maybe as an engineer but I can't see them employing him as a driver. Too many pressures and unhappy members of the public to confront whilst keeping a cool head and not losing your temper. I don't think they'd take the risk with any bodily harm criminal record. Maybe a thief because we don't collect money any more.

I'm assuming by the way,  I don't know for certain

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

fulhamben

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on November 15, 2014, 05:13:19 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on November 15, 2014, 12:10:25 PM

I'm a bus driver and id feel very uncomfortable working with someone who had done that. I find it very hard to believe he would ever be given a job that was a service to the public. Transport, hospitals, schools and things like that. Rape doesn't look good on a CV/criminal record.  I don't think I could even have a conversation with him if we worked together,  I have two daughters and no rehabilitation or regret could ever make me be civil to them. I don't care if he has a job and I don't care that he has his freedom but I certainly wouldn't be happy about him working with me. I think I'd hand in a transfer request but that's hypothetical. He would never be given a job on the buses.

Sorry to say Danny what  you say about being given a job on the buses is not true, I know this for a fact it strangely happened where you work on the engineering side,  you have to remember there are time statutes that apply to criminal records being valid

Maybe as an engineer but I can't see them employing him as a driver. Too many pressures and unhappy members of the public to confront whilst keeping a cool head and not losing your temper. I don't think they'd take the risk with any bodily harm criminal record. Maybe a thief because we don't collect money any more.

I'm assuming by the way,  I don't know for certain
cant vouch for them all but more than a few wont touch a rapist.

Andy S

All clubs will be dictated to by their sponsors. Both future and present. There will be a switch off of funds for any club that decides to employ a rapist. Football clubs need money like we need blood in our veins. He will never play professional Football again in this country. This should be a real lesson to all footballers if not all men.

The courts have sent this person to prison for 5 years. The prison has released him on licence after two. The public will never forgive him. At least not in time to resume a career in football.