News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Ched Evans- would you want him back if it was us?

Started by dannyboi-ffc, November 11, 2014, 08:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

I've just seen on SSN that Sheffield Utd are letting him train and basically are prepared to take him back. They were requested to treat him as an equal by the PFA, pointing out that he served his time. "We do not condemn mob justice" was one of the quotes by the club.

Please don't get into the political side because I don't want this thread locked or getting nasty because it could get sensitive. But had that been a Fulham player would you accept them back as a player or would you hope the club would wash their hands of him?

A yes or no answer with a brief reason will do, let's keep it clean please.

I personally wouldn't want him back and I don't think it's good PR from the club. I'd be very upset if it happened to us.

To be fair I just heard them say he's only training and they're not sure about signing him but someone will. Anyway if it was Fulham I'd be appalled! As a father of two daughters and a son on the way I wouldn't be able to support a club that had him as a role model

Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Mokes

No- he's a convicted rapist. Surely no further reasoning is required.

andyk

I seem to remember we took Ronnie Mauge back after he broke a bottle in his girlfriend's face, not rape, but a brutal life changing assault all the same.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: andyk on November 11, 2014, 08:31:53 PM
I seem to remember we took Ronnie Mauge back after he broke a bottle in his girlfriend's face, not rape, but a brutal life changing assault all the same.

What decade was that? Way before my time I'm guessing but still unacceptable to me all the same

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

gang

SP

The pieces to camera with the Sheffield United fans when this broke was sickening.  The interviewer didn't ask if the fans would've felt differently if it had been their sister but must've been tempted.  As for the naming of the victim on the Internet by his supporters...

andyk

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on November 11, 2014, 08:41:31 PM

What decade was that? Way before my time I'm guessing but still unacceptable to me all the same

Ronnie played for Fulham between 1988 and 1990, spending part of it in Wormwood Scrubs. He was, probably, one of our best players back then (not saying much) and went on to play for Bury, before being arrested again, this time for kidnapping and false imprisonment.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: SP on November 11, 2014, 08:48:28 PM
The pieces to camera with the Sheffield United fans when this broke was sickening.  The interviewer didn't ask if the fans would've felt differently if it had been their sister but must've been tempted.  As for the naming of the victim on the Internet by his supporters...

I noticed the female fans all said no but the males weren't bothered. Disgusting attitude and you're right, different circumstances if it was their mum or sister/ daughter. But it was only two or three blokes, I'm sure the majority are against it.

The naming of the victim was a disgrace and I think they will become very unpopular as a club if they resign him. I hope we're never in that position

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Oakeshott

Even on the most favourable interpretation, he behaved very badly, but if all professional footballers who had done that were banned, there would be many "gaps" in both clubs and the national side.

If he was a Fulham player I would accept him back. Quite apart from the possibility that he has been the victim of a miscarriage of justice, something that will soon be reviewed by the courts, if his conviction is confirmed by the appeals procedure he has paid his dues and, like most people, deserves a second chance.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: andyk on November 11, 2014, 08:50:40 PM
Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on November 11, 2014, 08:41:31 PM

Ronnie played for Fulham between 1988 and 1990, spending part of it in Wormwood Scrubs. He was, probably, one of our best players back then (not saying much) and went on to play for Bury, before being arrested again, this time for kidnapping and false imprisonment.

I was born in 1988 so no wonder I don't know him. Cheers for sharing the knowledge though. I'm always happy to learn

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Oakeshott on November 11, 2014, 08:53:39 PM
Even on the most favourable interpretation, he behaved very badly, but if all professional footballers who had done that were banned, there would be many "gaps" in both clubs and the national side.

If he was a Fulham player I would accept him back. Quite apart from the possibility that he has been the victim of a miscarriage of justice, something that will soon be reviewed by the courts, if his conviction is confirmed by the appeals procedure he has paid his dues and, like most people, deserves a second chance.

So because many footballers act badly it should be accepted/tolerated because of the risk we might lose too many players?  I'd rather watch 5 a side if that's what we're worried about.

As for deserving a second chance, I have two daughters and I could never forgive god forbid that happened. To me his second chance was not being permanently injured in prison for his wrong doings but that's the protective dad in me talking. I just don't think crimes like that should bring the opportunity to make an easy fortune and a nice lifestyle so easily. Go and get a real job and start again, for me he ruined his chance to live every boys dream.

Thanks for keeping it clean though, there's no need for us to get nasty. Your entitled to your opinion  

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Sgt Fulham

I can see him receiving a few hefty challenges from opposition players if he gets re signed.

In the Enclosure

No Way - I am sure the oppostion crowds will give him pelters !

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Oakeshott on November 11, 2014, 09:21:27 PM
Danny

This site is worth reading:

http://www.chedevans.com/

Cheers, I browsed through. If he turns out to be innocent then fair enough but at this moment in time the law didn't see it that way and I still wouldn't want him to play for my club with that hanging over him. He should be fighting to clear his name before he tries to force his way back into a big contract.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Northern Cottager

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on November 11, 2014, 09:29:21 PM
Quote from: Oakeshott on November 11, 2014, 09:21:27 PM
Danny

This site is worth reading:

http://www.chedevans.com/

Cheers, I browsed through. If he turns out to be innocent then fair enough but at this moment in time the law didn't see it that way and I still wouldn't want him to play for my club with that hanging over him. He should be fighting to clear his name before he tries to force his way back into a big contract.

Think he's tried, and that's what the site and the whole campaign has been for years.

Tough call for anyone, if they take him back they'll get slated and if they don't they're seen to not rehabilitate someone whose done their time.

domprague

I know that he is trying to appeal but....
he did nothing when his 'supporters' revealed the name of the girl and forced her into hiding
all he's said by way of remorse is 'sorry I was unfaithful to my girlfriend'
he's known to be pretty thick but even so, he seems to have learned nothing from this.
So my answer is 'no'.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Lighthouse

A simple no. I don't think there is any grey area. If he worked in a shop or a factory then it is doubtful he would have his job back. There used to be part of a contract of employment which mentioned that doing anything that harmed ones employers reputation was cause for instant dismissal.

If he later appeals successfully then we take it from there.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

snarks

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 11, 2014, 11:04:27 PM
A simple no. I don't think there is any grey area. If he worked in a shop or a factory then it is doubtful he would have his job back. There used to be part of a contract of employment which mentioned that doing anything that harmed ones employers reputation was cause for instant dismissal.

If he later appeals successfully then we take it from there.

That's where I disagree, if he worked in a shop or a factory he may well get his job back, if he didn't it wouldn't stop him applying for other jobs in other shops or factories.

If you take the point of view that he has served the sentence for the offence (and ignore the leniency of sentencing, and the rules allowing him out now) then he should be allowed to return to work, his work was a professional footballer. It's wrong that he should be stopped for doing this because some people don't think he's very nice or repentant enough.

Personally I wouldn't want him to be playing for a team I support, but it wouldn't stop me supporting the team. I just wouldn't cheer him when he scored, or defend the club for signing him.

westcliff white

I have experience of this awful crime within my immediate family it is an awful thing to go through and deal with. Every human being is entitled to earn a living, when people come out of prison it is hard for them to get a job but he seems to have been handed it back to him (if the take him on), there are thousands of others that come out and never get a job or end up in low paid employment, be that right or wrong, in this case Ched Evans should be treated no different to any other ex con and therefor should not in my opinion be able to just walk back into his old employers pay packet. No employer would keep on a convicted rapist, if on appeal he is found not guilty then any loss of income would be dealt with by an awards tribunal so he still would not lose out.

It is quite distasteful for the players union to intervene in what should just be a matter for the club and the club alone, and if they truly believe the statement they issued they would not employ him at all.
Every day is a Fulham day