watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

did you know

Started by Ged, November 12, 2014, 12:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ged

that between 1886-1888 Fulhams Home was Ranelagh Gardens the grounds now to the Chelsea Hospital and the Chelsea Flower Show

Gezza

You may be correct but here is an extract from foundation of Fulham
Part III
After a few years of existence the club found private accommodation at the old Ranelagh Club, under Putney Bridge Railway arch, where the present Ranelagh Gardens are situated. The dressing rooms were at the 'Eight Bells', (3) Fulham High Street, and the Club name was changed from Fulham St. Andrew's to avoid confusion with other London clubs called simply St. Andrew's.

Possibly some confusion going on.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Ged on November 12, 2014, 12:02:19 PM
that between 1886-1888 Fulhams Home was Ranelagh Gardens the grounds now to the Chelsea Hospital and the Chelsea Flower Show

While still playing as Fulham St Andrews, home was in the grounds of Ranelagh House near the eight bells pub, Fulham high street

Shredhead

It's ironic now that the 8 Bells is the 'away' pub.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

Ged

Fulham Home Grounds
1879 Hurlingham Park?
1879_83 Star Road
1883_84 Eel brook Common
1884_85 Lillie Rec
1885_86 Putney Common
1886_88 Ranelagh House Grounds now the Chelsea Hospital
1888_89 Barn Elms
1889_91 Parsons Green
1891_95 Half Moon Putney
1895_96 West Brompton
1896 Craven Cottage

love4ffc

Quote from: Ged on November 12, 2014, 11:18:16 PMFulham Home Grounds
1879 Hurlingham Park?
1879_83 Star Road
1883_84 Eel brook Common
1884_85 Lillie Rec
1885_86 Putney Common
1886_88 Ranelagh House Grounds now the Chelsea Hospital
1888_89 Barn Elms
1889_91 Parsons Green
1891_95 Half Moon Putney
1895_96 West Brompton
1896 Craven Cottage

And forever be may Craven Cottage be its final home

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

H4usuallysitting

Ranelagh Gardens is the home of the Hurlingham Club - Chelsea Hospital and the Chelsea Flower Show is Royal Hospital Road in Chelsea SW3 - sorry for my OCD

Ged

From Wikipedia
Ranelagh Gardens were re-designed by John Gibson in the 19th century. Fulham Football Club played on the site from 1886-8, when it was known as the Ranelagh Ground. It is now a green pleasure ground with shaded walks, part of the grounds of Chelsea Hospital and the site of the annual Chelsea Flower Show.

H4usuallysitting

http://www.chelsea-pensioners.co.uk/about-us - this is the home of the Chelsea flower Show and the Royal Hospital Chelsea.....I rank up at the Chelsea Flower Show every year, never been in Ranelagh Gardens....the only rank at Ranelagh gardens is 1 weekend a year for the Hurlingham Polo

H4usuallysitting

The Cup Cometh

October 1885

The Club played on the Ranelagh House grounds, which was situated by the Eight Bells pub on Fulham High Street. It started playing cup competitions with the first appearance in the London FA Cup, but was thrashed 9-0 by Hendon.

The above is from the ofal.....the eight bells pub was used as a changing room
http://www.fulhamfc.com/history/timeline/1885......your saying they changed in the eight bells then went to Royal Hospital Road to play football about a mile up the road

terryr

Quote from: Ged on November 12, 2014, 12:02:19 PM
No I did not know that.
Thank you for telling me
I'm very grateful

Ged

in 1885 yes they played in lillie rec
but in 1886-8 they played at Ranelagh Grounds now the home of the Chelsea Flower Show

London's nomadic football clubs - Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?dg=feature&ll=51.492927,-0.10025&ie=UTF8&msa=0&spn=0.224017,0.617294&z=11&hl=en&mid=zxSKgVHMCJ7U.kyv2rNx9YT4k

Peabody

Quote from: Ged on November 13, 2014, 12:07:30 PM
in 1885 yes they played in lillie rec
but in 1886-8 they played at Ranelagh Grounds now the home of the Chelsea Flower Show

London's nomadic football clubs - Google Maps
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?dg=feature&ll=51.492927,-0.10025&ie=UTF8&msa=0&spn=0.224017,0.617294&z=11&hl=en&mid=zxSKgVHMCJ7U.kryv2rNx9YT4k

Can I please recommend that you read The Foundation History of Fulham, a pamphlet written by H.d.Shrimpton, who was one of the original players and in later years, became club secretary.

Also, if you visit Putney Bridge Station, as you exit, on your left is a block of flats called Ranelagh Mansions and they are just round the corner from The Eight Bells.

H4usuallysitting

Ranelagh House grounds, which was situated by the Eight Bells pub on Fulham High Street (from the offal)....this is not the same Ranelagh House grounds as at the Royal Hospital Chelsea....unless of course they moved the Eight Bells Pub and Fulham High Street.....I can only assume the remaining part left of the Ranelagh House grounds is now Hurlingham Park.....The road that leads to the Hurlingham Club is called Ranelagh Gardens...this is currently around 30 seconds walk from the Eight Bells Pub.....

Peabody

In part three of The Foundation History, Henry writes that the club found private accommodation at The old Ranelagh Club under the Putney Bridge Railway Arch.

H4usuallysitting

I think at the time the Land was owned/shared between The Bishop of London and Lord Ranelagh....I didn't know that we played at Eel brook Common...wonder where the stream/brook is now...underground??

Ged

Are you telling me that Wikipedia is wrong? Thats a shock
i dont know what to believe anymore

Jonnoj

I think its far more likely that Wikipedia is wrong than everyone on here!
actually second thought its a bit of a toss up isn't it....
as far as Im aware and I come from just round the corner Ranelagh Gardens has always been the place referred to above as near the 8 Bells, which by the way we should reclaim as a home pub. Let's encourage Shad to buy it and make it a supporters club house?

Peabody

I believe that Wikipedia relies on contributors to update its information and therefore is liable to receive wrong information.