watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham 1959

Started by rogerpbackinMidEastUS, November 14, 2014, 09:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

It's probable that this has been on here before, but if not........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3AaIM8HXaU

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

bobbo

I was looking for myself among those autograph hunters there, sadly not in
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Mince n Tatties

The cards on his table, the one of the Fulham team were Soccer or Chix Bubble Gum.
I have the full set of them still, they were my elder brothers..

jags24

Good video, I liked the training session.  I wonder what those cards would be worth today.  Thanks for sharing.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: jags24 on November 14, 2014, 10:37:24 PM
Good video, I liked the training session.  I wonder what those cards would be worth today.  Thanks for sharing.

It's also a hobby of mine that I've had since 1980. I've got boxes of them.
Prices vary, cards stuck in albums are normally worthless.
Some football cards are worth a lot, some minimal.

One individual cigarette card, very tatty, of a particular baseball player sold a couple of
years ago for about $2 million but that is a rarity and there's a bit of a story about it.
Another very very tatty card of the same player was donated to a Nunnery in Baltimore,
I think last year, it fetched about $150.000
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

love4ffc

Quote from: rogerpinvirginia on November 14, 2014, 09:16:17 PM
It's probable that this has been on here before, but if not........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3AaIM8HXaU

I'm sorry Roger, but what is that dark cannon ball thing they are kicking around?  Why on earth would they use that thing?  Where are all the pretty bright colored balls? 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

MikeW

Amazing video.  My first Fulham game was in '59 against Preston N. E.  I stood with my Dad on the Stevenage Road corner of the Hammersmith End that is featured on the film.  I also remember the railing fence along the front of the Paddock.  Watched a 4-4 v Man U squashed against that! Happy days.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Holders

Sounds like Mr Cholmondeley-Warner!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

RaySmith

They seem such innocent times now.

I started following Fulham about 61/2, and recognise many players from the film-Macedo, Bacuzzi, Lawler, Hill, Cook, Haynes, Key, and the great Jim Langley of course.

I was also a keen autograph  hunter, and 'fag' card collector - we used to play a game involving  flicking the cards against the wall - to win the opponents' cards.

I had a great collection of Fulham memorabilia, including, autographs  personally obtained, glossy photos of the Fulham players of the time, and players from other  teams, and many programmes- and my Mum threw them all out!

Just thinking that although innocent compared to today, those times weren't completely innocent. Going up the major train stations to get autographs of away teams travelling home. money would sometimes be demanded by older kids if you wanted to  to stay, or otherwise you would be violently chased off and your books stolen.

And players of the time were  generally exploited and not paid much at all -until Johnny Haynes broke the maximum wage barrier and became the first £100 a week player.

And we can se in the film Jim Langley's modest home - just like that of most of the fans. What a player, what a character -it'll always remember his sliding tackles, overhead kicks, long throws, and pace up the wings - loved the man.

Fulham1959

Major disappointment - I thought it was going to be about me.

I've seen this film several times before but I could have sworn it was in black-and-white.  I noticed that Jim Langley was left handed . . . and presumably left-footed.  There is a video clip on YouTube which includes one of his long throws.  Eat your heart out, Rory Delap !

In the Enclosure

When I was a young kid in the 50s that wood yard behind the Hammersmith End used to be more entertaining to me than some of the football. The cranes are visible in the clip. They had massive buzz saws in there cutting up trees. Also if we were at the back of the putney end people used to watch out the back if there was a football match going on in Bishops Park !

epsomraver

The great Jim Langley, the main reason I stayed watching Fulham and not tempted as a Battersea boy to the dark side, he always had time for the youngsters and would come over for a chat before the game.

bog

Thanks for this wonderful posting. I will never get fed up with watching that footage. 049:gif

092.gif 

MikeW

Fulham 1959:  Yes Jim was massively left sided. Very 'bandy' legged I recall as well but what a great character.  I had forgotten about the long throws - they were massive.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."