watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Bricklayer costs

Started by FFCAli, November 20, 2014, 12:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFCAli

What should a bricklayer charge for a day's work?  I have a small bit of wall that needs repair and the bricklayer told me it would be about a day's work but that he'd have to get his boss to give me a price.  It'd be helpful to have an idea what is reasonable!  Thanks.

Southcoastffc

The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

epsomraver

Quote from: FFCAli on November 20, 2014, 12:35:15 PM
What should a bricklayer charge for a day's work?  I have a small bit of wall that needs repair and the bricklayer told me it would be about a day's work but that he'd have to get his boss to give me a price.  It'd be helpful to have an idea what is reasonable!  Thanks.

Most charge £200 a day plus materials, that link is a joke, all out of date and stupid prices! 30 foot by 16 foot wall £200 ! fp.gif

Berserker

I'd get a few quotes from different builders for the total cost of the job.  Be careful they are reputable though as I have heard a few horror stories
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

leonffc

Quote from: Berserker on November 20, 2014, 02:10:14 PM
I'd get a few quotes from different builders for the total cost of the job.  Be careful they are reputable though as I have heard a few horror stories

Did they all involve SouthfieldWhite?

Southcoastffc

Quote from: epsomraver on November 20, 2014, 01:59:24 PM

Most charge £200 a day plus materials, that link is a joke, all out of date and stupid prices! 30 foot by 16 foot wall £200 ! fp.gif
No, not a joke.  Based on real experience.  Does need an appreciation of geographical/economic differences.  If you can't see the wood for the trees perhaps it's not for you.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

epsomraver

Quote from: Southcoastffc on November 21, 2014, 10:11:16 AM

No, not a joke.  Based on real experience.  Does need an appreciation of geographical/economic differences.  If you can't see the wood for the trees perhaps it's not for you.
Next time I need a history lesson I will refer to it :023:

Southcoastffc

Quote from: epsomraver on November 21, 2014, 11:30:08 AM

You could do worse, it might contextualise things.  If you are paying £200/day you are being ripped off.  £120-£150 is more like it.

CottagersOnTour

Depending if your in London or the counties it can make quite a big difference.. Assume that Surrey is London prices also!

The cost should be in the region of £100 - £200 per day (plus materials) depending on the quality of builder.

I work in the property industry (Chartered Surveyor) so have had a fair few retaining walls rebuilt!

epsomraver

Quote from: Southcoastffc on November 21, 2014, 11:41:24 AM
What should a bricklayer charge for a day's work?  I have a small bit of wall that needs repair and the bricklayer told me it would be about a day's work but that he'd have to get his boss to give me a price.  It'd be helpful to have an idea what is reasonable!  Thanks.

No, not a joke.  Based on real experience.  Does need an appreciation of geographical/economic differences.  If you can't see the wood for the trees perhaps it's not for you.
You could do worse, it might contextualise things.  If you are paying £200/day you are being ripped off.  £120-£150 is more like it.
dream on! labourers are on £100 a day just to mix and run bricks,brick layer don't labour so you have that cost also, good brickies can command £500 a day around here, mind you I did say good.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: epsomraver on November 21, 2014, 11:50:56 AM

You could do worse, it might contextualise things.  If you are paying £200/day you are being ripped off.  £120-£150 is more like it.
dream on! labourers are on £100 a day just to mix and run bricks,brick layer don't labour so you have that cost also, good brickies can command £500 a day around here, mind you I did say good.
Crikey! £500/day? I'd want them to be laying gold blocks encrusted with sapphires for that price.  I used to live in Epsom and still have a house near the downs where I am having building work done at the moment.  Labourers, I'd be looking at £90-£110.   As I say, £200/day is a rip off.  (In my ever so 'umble opinion.)

epsomraver

Quote from: Southcoastffc on November 21, 2014, 12:18:56 PM

Crikey! £500/day? I'd want them to be laying gold blocks encrusted with sapphires for that price.  I used to live in Epsom and still have a house near the downs where I am having building work done at the moment.  Labourers, I'd be looking at £90-£110.   As I say, £200/day is a rip off.  (In my ever so 'umble opinion.)

Where? love to go around and see what rates and also what nationalities are working there, I am talking about skilled brickies who can lay over a thousand bricks a day usually come with their own skilled labourers , yes there is skill in it! day rates give no idea re value for money

CottagersOnTour

Less and less "professional" general construction contractors around these days, the best can command higher prices.

I would still say £150-£200 a day in the London/Surrey area is about right for someone who is half decent.

Cheaper than that and you are likely to be getting a random off the street who only has the ability to put one brick on top of another.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: epsomraver on November 21, 2014, 12:33:24 PM
Quote from: Southcoastffc on November 21, 2014, 12:18:56 PM

Where? love to go around and see what rates and also what nationalities are working there, I am talking about skilled brickies who can lay over a thousand bricks a day usually come with their own skilled labourers , yes there is skill in it! day rates give no idea re value for money
As I said, house near the downs, using a firm based near Carshalton. I couldn't tell you what nationality the individuals are, I don't favour UKIP.    I shop around and always look for good value (so not necessarily cheapest.)

FFCAli

Thanks  -  at least to most who've responded.  The sensible replies are helpful!

terryr

So Brickies make more than heart surgeons........?
No wonder the country is going down the drain

Southcoastffc

Quote from: TerryR on November 21, 2014, 01:18:01 PM

So Brickies make more than heart surgeons........?
No wonder the country is going down the drain

Now don't get me started on groundworks and plumbers... :005:

FFCAli

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 21, 2014, 01:59:46 PM
Quote from: FFCAli on November 21, 2014, 12:55:18 PM
Thanks  -  at least to most who've responded.  The sensible replies are helpful!

I knew you would find mine most helpful of all.
Haven't you any more ideas?

CottagersOnTour

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 21, 2014, 03:38:59 PM
Quote from: FFCAli on November 21, 2014, 02:20:13 PM

Hmmm. I suppose you by that record by Status Quo, " Another Brick in the wall ".

You mean Pink Floyd? :)

FFCAli

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on November 21, 2014, 03:38:59 PM
Quote from: FFCAli on November 21, 2014, 02:20:13 PM

Hmmm. I suppose you by that record by Status Quo, " Another Brick in the wall ".
It doesn't need another brick.  Try again!