more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (21/11/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 20, 2014, 05:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Reminder: Brentford v Fulham SOLD OUT

No more tickets left for Brentford v Fulham in Sky Bet Championship on Friday November 21

Brentford's first league match against West London rivals Fulham for more than 15 years is now SOLD OUT.

Fulham will come to Griffin Park for a Sky Bet Championship match tomorrow, Friday November 21.

All tickets are now sold for the first league match between the teams since April 1998 and no more will be available.

Tickets are on sale for upcoming matches against Wolverhampton Wanderers, Blackburn Rovers, Ipswich Town, Rotherham United and Middlesbrough.

There are a limited number of half-price tickets available for the Blackburn match and Brentford's Pay What You Can promotion is in operation for the game against Rotherham.

Read more at http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/article/brentford-v-fulham-sold-out-2092700.aspx#UqAU53ThBYyzqYeT.99

WhiteJC

Inside Griffin Park

Ahead of Friday night's West London derby, Brentford fan Paul Fletcher gives us some insight into his side.

I'm sure you would've taken a Play-Off spot at this stage of the season if it had been offered to you before a ball had been kicked?

Absolutely! To be perfectly honest, after only managing one season last time we were in the second tier, anything above the bottom three would have done for me!

Have you been impressed with the Bees so far? Do they deserve to be there?

I think they've been superb! Even at Bournemouth, where we lost 1-0, we outplayed them in the second half, same again against Norwich. So even in defeat we were playing some good stuff. The way in which the team plays on the deck, moving the ball around quickly whilst taking care of it bodes well. They definitely deserve to be where they are.

What's your opinion of manager Mark Warburton?

I think he's been a revelation. To be honest I was a little apprehensive when he was appointed, however the footballing ethos he's instilled in the players and the way he projects himself have more than justified his appointment.

What's a realistic target for Brentford come the end of the season?

A lot will depend on how injuries and suspensions affect the squad. If we can keep relatively clear of both, and possibly add another striker in the January transfer window, then we have a good chance of remaining in the top half of the table. And who knows, maybe a push for a Play-Off place.

Who have been your stand-out performers so far?

There have been a number, but l would single out Jonathon Douglas, Alan Judge and Tony Craig. I would also add, from the last few games, Toumani Diagouraga who seems to have reinvented himself as Patrick Vieira!

It's a long time since Fulham and Brentford met in the league – are you anticipating a tasty game?

There haven't been any in recent years so it should be an absolute cracker! Whilst, for me, QPR will always be the real enemy, beating Fulham comes a close second. A repeat of 1992/93 please!! [Brentford beat Fulham 2-0 home and away in the League Cup].

Can you recall any memorable moments from our previous West London derbies?

I will never forget that day at Griffin Park during our [1991/92] title-winning season when we took them apart in the first 45 minutes! Unforgettable! I can also recall a game at Craven Cottage where Gary Blissett 'sorted out' Fulham's goalkeeper [Jim Stannard] at the Hammersmith End.   

Are you pleased to have the fixture back in the calendar?

Without doubt! It's right up there as the must-see game of the season! Old rivalries revisited, with the Bees hopefully ending up with the bragging rights!

Which Fulham players are you not looking forward to facing?

Ross McCormack and Dan Burn, because he will give me flashbacks to the Play-Off defeat by Yeovil at Wembley! 

Where can away fans go for a pint before the game?

Apart from the Royal Oak, I think the other three of the four pubs on the corners of the ground are away friendly. Otherwise, the Nelson and the Globe have usually got a good atmosphere pre and post-match.   

What songs can we expect to hear from the home fans?

'Hey Jude', 'we are Brentford FC, we'll sing on our own', plus 'who are ya?!'

What score prediction are you going for?

2-1 to Brentford, because I think we are a better side and the fans will be like an extra man on the night.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/20/inside-griffin-park?

WhiteJC

Beesotted's pre-match guide: Fulham

Beesotted contributor and former Brentford FC programme writer Ian Westbrook looks ahead to the most anticipated match of the season.

INTRODUCTION
When the fixtures came out in the summer, the first one that most Bees fans looked for was Fulham's visit to Griffin Park.

The fact we have already played them this season in the Capital One Cup takes nothing away from the excitement – and having the game taking place under lights and in front of a sell-out crowd, as well as being live on Sky, just adds to the occasion.

Things have changed a lot since Fulham won that League Cup second round tie here at the end of August – condemning us to four months without cup football.

The Bees were still finding their way in the Championship and were 15th after four games but Fulham were rock bottom without a point to their name.

Now however Brentford go into the match in sixth place off the back of three wins against Derby, Nottingham Forest and Millwall – and the Cottagers have climbed out of the relegation zone with a run of five wins and three draws in nine matches.

That sequence of results came after manager Felix Magath was sacked following a 5-3 defeat at Nottingham Forest.

Their first league victory came in their ninth match – 2-1 at Birmingham and they followed that up by hammering Bolton 4-0 at Craven Cottage four days later.

Although they then lost 2-0 at Middlesbrough, they are unbeaten in six league games since – with home wins over Norwich (1-0), Charlton (3-0) and Huddersfield (3-1) and a 2-2 draw with Blackpool and two 3-3 away draws at Rotherham and Wigan.

This is Fulham's first season in the second tier for 14 years.

They finished 19th in the Premier League last season – four points adrift of safety – to end their long stay in the top flight. They finished in the bottom half in nine of those seasons but also finished in the top nine in three of the four campaigns between 2008/2009 and 2011/12, while they reached the Europa League final in 2010.

WHO'S THE GAFFER?
Kit Symons was appointed as permanent Fulham manager at the end of October after a spell as caretaker-boss following Magath's departure.

Symons played for Fulham for three years at the turn of the century, making more than 100 league appearances, while he also represented Portsmouth, Manchester City and Crystal Palace – clocking up more than 400 senior domestic games. He also won 36 caps for Wales, scoring twice, in a nine-year international career.

This is his first permanent managerial role following caretaker stints at Crystal Palace (twice) and Colchester.

Before taking over at Craven Cottage he was working as Fulham's academy coach and was also part of the coaching staff with the Wales national team – a role he is set to continue.

PREVIOUS VISIT
Fulham were last here just three months ago in the Capital One Cup tie, mentioned earlier, at the end of August.

After a goalless first half, £11m striker Ross McCormack scored the only goal midway through the second half, just a few minutes after he had seen another effort disallowed for offside.

Jota hit the post just before the break for the Bees, but it wasn't our night.

Bees line-up: Button, Odubajo, Bidwell, Dean, Tarkowski, Tebar, Dallas, Toral (Diagouraga 63), Jota (Gray 74), Smith, Proschwitz (Hogan 74). unused subs: Bonham, O'Shaughnessy, Reeves, Moore.
Att: 7,563.

STAT ATTACK
Brentford's league record against Fulham:

At Griffin Park:
Bees wins – 7 Fulham wins – 9 Draws – 4
Last Brentford win – 4-0 (26/4/92 – Division Three)
Biggest Brentford win – 5-1 (22/2/30 – Division Three (South))

At Craven Cottage:
Bees wins – 4 Fulham wins – 8 Draws – 8
Last Brentford win – 1-0 (5/10/91- Division Three)
Biggest Brentford win – 3-1 (13/9/86 – Division Three)
Att: 5,227.

THE FULHAM VIEW
Fulham defender Dan Burn has told their club's website how much he enjoys facing the Bees.

He has lined up against us three times so far in his career and come away with three victories – two while with Yeovil, including the play-off final in which he scored the winner.

"Friday is a massive game and I love playing against Brentford and I've always got a pretty good result. I hope I'm not jinxing myself but I do seem to do well against them, so let's hope it carries on," he said.

"They've got a similar squad to what they did in League One and when you come from a league where you've spent most of the season winning, your confidence is really high.

"They're sixth and they're playing very well. All the lads know we can't be complacent on Friday.

DANGER MEN
While most of Fulham's experienced players left the club following their relegation from the Premier League, some remain and are having an impact this season.

Midfielder and captain Scott Parker is a virtual ever-present so far in the Championship, starting 16 of their 17 games and coming on as a substitute in the other.

Striker Hugo Rodallega has chipped in with six goals from 11 full and one substitute appearance while summer signing Ross McCormack has four goals from 15 starts and one game as a substitute.

Another close season arrival Tim Hoogland has also made an impression – the defender chipping in with four league goals from his 13 starts.

DID YOU KNOW?
Fulham have twice achieved 101 league points in a season – when winning Division Two (now League One) in 1998/99 and again when topping Division One (now the Championship) two seasons later.

http://beesotted.co.uk/?p=13808

WhiteJC

Brentford v Fulham

SKY BET CHAMPIONSHIP
Venue: Griffin Park Date: Friday, 21 November Kick-off: 19:45 GMT
Coverage: Watch highlights on The Football League Show; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Brentford midfielder Jonathan Douglas will return from suspension for Friday's game with neighbours Fulham.

Long-term absentees Alan McCormack (ankle) and Scott Hogan (cruciate) are the only unavailable players.

Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli has a thumb injury so Gabor Kiraly is on standby.

Defenders Fernando Amorebieta (knee) and Tim Hoogland (pelvis) could return from injury, but striker Adam Taggart (groin) is unlikely to play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30048366

WhiteJC

Kit Symons: Fulham manager in no rush to add to coaching staff

Fulham manager Kit Symons says he is in no rush to add to his backroom staff at Craven Cottage.

The 43-year-old was appointed Whites boss last month following a successful spell in caretaker charge of the club.

"If there was someone who would make us better who we could bring in, I would always do that if it is the right person," he told BBC London 94.9.

"I wouldn't rule things out but we are in a good situation at the moment. We are not desperate to do anything."

He added: "The dynamic of the playing staff and the coaching staff is something I am very conscious of and focus on a lot.

"I am delighted with the group of staff I have got working with me. We are very lucky in that department.

"Nothing has materialised at all."

Kit Symons on Friday's trip to Brentford:
"I want the players to realise how important it is to our supporters, It is only
three points but these games carry bragging rights for a long time."

Fulham have won five of their 10 league matches under Symons, which has seen them climb from bottom of the Championship to 17th in the table.

They travel to west London rivals Brentford on Friday night, with the newly-promoted Bees sitting in the play-off places.

"They are playing some great football, have got themselves into the play-off spots and are looking really good," Symons said.

"They are going in the right direction as a club but then so are we.

"After an even more difficult start we have picked up and are showing some good signs at the moment."

Fulham's £11m summer signing Ross McCormack scored the only goal as the Whites beat Friday's opponents Brentford in the League Cup in August

Having already played against each other in August in the League Cup, with Fulham winning 1-0 on that occasion under former boss Felix Magath, this is the first time the two sides have faced each other in the league since April 1998, when both clubs were in the third tier.

Symons never faced the Bees during his three-year playing spell at Craven Cottage but says derby games are special for both sets of fans.

"I want the players to realise how important it is to our supporters," the Welshman said.

"It is only three points but these games carry bragging rights for a long time. It is something I never want to see going out of the game."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30135600

WhiteJC

Symons believes Fulham can still win promotion in 'crazy' Championship as Brentford await

Kit Symons believes that Fulham can win promotion this season and cited the example of Crystal Palace's rise from the relegation zone to winning the play-offs after a barnstorming second half to the 2003/04 season.

The Eagles were sitting in the bottom three after a home defeat to Millwall on Boxing Day but then only dropped 16 points in their remaining fixtures before triumphing over West Ham in the Championship play-off final.

And he believes that Fulham can recover from their poor start, where they won one of their first seven games, and return to the Premier League after last season's relegation.

"Not many [Championship sides] can't [fight for the top six]," Symons said. "It's a crazy league.

"I was at Palace and we were third bottom on Boxing Day and finished sixth before beating West Ham in the final.

"Any team can get there. Everyone says what a tough league it is. I love it. It's an honest league. I understand it and I'm really excited by this challenge."

He added: "Everything I've learnt in my time in football is part of how I do things now.

"There were a lot of good things there. When I was caretaker Stuart Gray helped me. I learnt a lot from him.

"I'm under no illusions. If we go about our business in the right way and strive to improve and get best practice we can succeed."

Brentford, Fulham's opponents tomorrow, occupy the final play-off spot and Symons admitted that he was slightly surprised by their early season success, although he gave credit to the way the Bees have played this campaign.

"I think they've surprised a lot of people," he added. "The progress they've made has been exceptional.

"The two teams now are very different. Both sides have come an awful long way.

"They're up in the play-off spots. They're not there by luck and they're playing some really good football."

Tomorrow night's meeting will be the first time the two sides have met in the league since Paul Moody's brace gave Fulham a 2-0 win at Griffin Park.

"I've never played a Fulham-Brentford game," he explained. "I know what it means to our fans. I spoke to them briefly to our players. That'll be a big part of our team talk.

"It'll be important for the players to realise how important it is. If you get a derby within the Championship – brilliant."

Fulham have no fresh injury worries going into the contest and Symons is hoping to see some of his other injured players return to action.

"We're looking pretty good," he explained. "The longer term injuries – Fernando is progressing nicely.

"Tim Hoogland has still got a bit of a pelvic problem. Sean Kavanagh is progressing nicely.

"He'll be doing some sort of training with the group next week. I think that's us."

He added: "We're on a good run of form but it was seven games in 21 games so I think that breather came at a good time.

"A lot of the boys were off with their respective countries. I think we needed that little break. I wasn't too upset by it. The preparation for this game has been excellent."

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/symons_believes_fulham_can_still_win_promotion_in_crazy_championship_as_brentford_await_1_3855797

WhiteJC

Fulham boss will relish derby clash

Fulham manager Kit Symons says he cannot wait for Friday night's derby clash at Brentford.

The two west London rivals will meet for the first time in the league since 1998 – a game Fulham won 2-0 in League One during their rise up the divisions under Mohamed Al-Fayed's ownership.

Brentford now sit higher than Fulham after a superb start to life in the Championship – 11 places and eight points above them in the table.

But Symons said: "We can match them – this is a derby.

"The progress Brentford have made has been exceptional and they've surprised me. They're a club going in the right direction but then so are we.

"I love derbies. We know how important this is to the fans and that will be a big part of our team talk – making sure the players know that. I've spoken to the players about it and Scott Parker especially.

"My players will know it's another three points but that there are bragging rights involved as well."

Symons confirmed that Fernando Amorebieta, Tim Hoogland and Sean Kavanagh are still sidelined through injury but the rest of his squad are fit for the visit to Griffin Park.

And the Whites boss said: "It'll be a good game because both teams will try to play – that's my philosophy home and away.

"We've looked at a lot of footage of them and they deserve to be where they are. We need to tighten up defensively and we're always a big goal threat."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-boss-will-relish-derby-clash?

WhiteJC

Kit's Brentford Preview

Fulham Manager Kit Symons is relishing leading his side into battle with rivals Brentford on Friday night (7.45pm).

The West London derby has not been played in more than 16 years, and Symons admitted in his press conference on Thursday that he's a big fan of these particular matches.

"I never played in a Fulham-Brentford game but it's a big derby," he said. "I know what it means to our fans.

"I spoke to the players briefly about it this morning, I had a good chat with Scott Parker about it, and that will certainly be a big part of our teamtalk tomorrow for our players to realise just how important it is. At the end of the day, it's another three points, but these games are special.

"These games carry bragging rights for a long time and that's a great thing in football and something that I never want to see going out of the game, and I always think derby games should be that little bit special."

The Bees are currently sitting up in the lofty heights of sixth in the Sky Bet Championship, and while they may have done better some expected them to do, Symons insists they're up there on merit.

"I think they surprised a lot of people," he admitted. "They're a very, very good side and the progress they've made has been exceptional. We played them earlier this season in the cup game and I think the two teams you see now are both very, very different from that game back then.

"Both sides have come an awful long way. They're up in the Play-Off spots at the moment and doing really, really well but they're not there by luck, they're playing some really good football along the way and getting some great results.

"I'm looking forward to an exciting game, it will be a good game of football because both teams try and play, there's no two ways about that. That's our best way of playing football and that's my philosophy and it's very much the same for Brentford now.

"We've done our homework on them, looked at a lot of footage of them, and they play some good football. They're not up in the position they're in because of luck or anything, it's because they deserve to be there because of the good football they play."

Fulham's last two matches on the road have yielded 12 goals, and Symons is confident that if we stop conceding as many then the away wins will come.

"We've been involved in some exciting away fixtures recently," he said. "We're always a big goal threat but our defending has come on as well.

"It's been frustrating with the 3-3 draw at Wigan, the 3-3 draw at Rotherham, to score three goals away from home but only get a point because we conceded three, so we need to tighten up a little bit.

"The defending is improving but the actual tightening up on the goals conceded away from home will be a big step in the right direction for us to help us move up the league.

"I love the Championship, it's a really honest league. It's brilliant, I love it, I understand it, I know it, and I'm really excited about this challenge I've got now.

"It's a really hard league, I'm under no illusions, but if we go about our business in the right way and we continually strive to improve and get the best practice in every area and every department, then we'll be in a good place."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/20/kits-brentford-preview?

WhiteJC

Championship: Brentford v Fulham team news

Jonathan Douglas will be back in the Brentford squad for the visit of west London neighbours Fulham on Friday (kick-off 7.45pm).

Midfielder Douglas was an ever-present for the Bees this season until he was ruled out of the 3-2 win at Millwall last time out through suspension, so he is set to come straight back into the starting line-up.

Boss Mark Warburton has an almost fully-fit squad aside from long-term absentees Alan McCormack (ankle) and Scott Hogan (cruciate).

The Bees have won their last three matches and could move joint second with a victory over their derby rivals.

Fulham are also in decent form, on a six-match unbeaten run in the league under new manager Kit Symons.

Goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli this week withdrew from the England Under-21 squad with a thumb injury so Gabor Kiraly will be on standby.

Symons will also check on defenders Fernando Amorebieta, who missed the 3-1 win over Huddersfield a fortnight ago with a knee knock, and Tim Hoogland following a pelvic problem.

Striker Adam Taggart is on the mend following a long-term groin issue but is not expected to be available just yet.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/313974/preview?

WhiteJC

Don't get carried away by derby atmosphere, warns Brentford striker

Smith sends message to team-mates ahead of clash with west London rivals Fulham

Tommy Smith expects tomorrow's clash between Brentford and Fulham to live up to some of the most highly-charged derbies in the country.

Smith has played in some of the most volatile atmospheres there are in his long career, and expects the roof to be raised at Griffin Park tomorrow too.

But the experienced striker has warned his team-mates not to get sucked into the hype surrounding the game once they get out onto the pitch.

He said: "I've played in Cardiff against Swansea and Watford against Luton, which were both quite crazy at times, and although I missed Portsmouth against Southampton through injury, that was another great atmosphere.

"It was also a great atmosphere last time we played Fulham, and we're expecting more of the same on Friday. They will want to ruffle a few feathers and have got a lot of experienced players, but they will be a different team to when we played them in the League Cup.

"But it is important to be aware of need not to get carried away and stick to the game plan. You have to play the game and not the occasion."

Smith's is keen to avoid a repeat of his last experience of a west London derby before that League Cup game in August, when his QPR side were drubbed 6-0 by Fulham three years ago.

He said: "I'd blocked that one out! We were 4-0 down when I came on at half time, so we only lost 2-0 when I was on the pitch!"

Brentford go into the game on the back on a three-match winning streak which has catapulted them up to sixth in the Championship, but Smith insists those games count for nothing now.

He added: "We're not getting carried away by the three wins. We don't want to get to the point where we think we can just turn up and win. As soon as you take your foot off the pedal you get punished, those three wins will be forgotten once we cross the white line."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dont-carried-away-derby-atmosphere-8138921?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Kit Symons on Brentford, Marcus Bettinelli and the crazy Championship
FULHAM boss Kit Symons is relishing tomorrow night's west London derby against Brentford.

The two sides have not faced each other in a league fixture for 16-and-a-half years with the Cottagers enjoying a 13-year spell in the Premier League and the Bees falling as low as League Two.

Fulham claimed a 1-0 Capital One Cup victory in August against their local rivals under former boss Felix Magath but the two sides come face-to-face in the Championship for the first time this season and Symons is looking forward to the hotly-anticipated clash.

He said at the pre-match press conference: "I never played a Fulham vs Brentford game but it's a big derby. I know what it means to our fans.

"I spoke to the players briefly this morning, I had a good chat with Scott Parker about it and that'll be a big part of our team talk tomorrow for our players to realise how important it is.

"At the end of the day it's another three points but these games are special. I love derby games, I love Championship games and if you get a derby game in the Championship, brilliant."

Brentford are currently sixth in the league table having won their last three matches.

Mark Warburton's side were tipped to struggle in the Championship this season and Symons admits he is surprised by their impressive start.

He said: "They've surprised a lot of people. The progress they've made has been exceptional.

"We played them earlier this season in the cup game and the two teams you see now are both very, very different from that game back then. I think both sides have come an awful long way.

"They're up in the play-off spots at the moment and doing really well but they're not there by luck, they're playing some really good football along the way as well and getting some great results."

Fulham are missing three key men for the short trip with Fernando Amorebieta, Tim Hoogland and Sean Kavanagh all injured.

Goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli, who has established himself as the club's No.1 this campaign, is fit to play after withdrawing from England Under-21 duty earlier this week through injury.

Symons said: "He's fit and well. It was a bit of unfortunate incident for Marcus really.

"We're very grateful to the England medical staff. They were very thorough, they didn't want to take any risks or chances with Marcus so they made the call for him to come back.

"We've had him checked out and we're quite happy he's fine. We chatted with him yesterday, he's in a good place and really looking forward to it."

Symons has been in permanent charge since October and he has lead his side up the league table in recent months.

The latest international break came on the back of a run of positive results for Fulham but the Welshman admits he was grateful for the breather following a breakneck run of fixtures.

He said: "Yeah we were on a good run of form but there were seven games in 21 days so I think that little breather came at a good time but a lot of the boys were off with their respective countries anyway.

"We probably needed that little break so I wasn't too upset by it. The preparation for this game has been excellent so hopefully we can carry on where we left off."

Fulham sit 17th in the Championship table and fans are once again dreaming of returning to the Premier League with the play-offs suddenly appearing an achievable aim.

The competitive nature of the division and the lack of a runaway leader leads Symons, who was part of the Crystal Palace side that won the play-offs in 2003/04, to consider that most clubs are in the promotion picture.

When asked how many sides can dream of going up, he replied: "Not many can't. It's a crazy league. I was at Palace and we were third bottom on boxing day but we finished sixth to reach the play-offs and beat West Ham in the final. Anyone in the league probably has a chance of getting there, looking at that example.

"Everyone says what a tough league it is but I love the Championship. It's an honest league, it's really honest. I love it, I understand it, I know it. I'm really excited about this challenge we've got now."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/411337/Kit-Symons-Fulham-Brentford

WhiteJC

Fulham keeper gets thumbs up for Brentford derby clash

Marcus Bettinelli passed fit to face Bees at Griffin Park after injury scare

Fit to face Bees: Marcus Bettinelli
Fulham keeper Marcus Bettinelli has been passed fit for tomorrow's west London derby with Brentford.

The England Under-21 star was sent home from international duty this week due to a thumb problem picked up in training.

However, Kit Symons has revealed Bettinelli has been given the green light to play at Griffin Park.

He said: "There was a problem with his thumb. The England physios were excellent, they got it scanned and checked out.

"They didn't want to take any chances, so made the decision for Marcus to come back. He's been checked out by our guys and we're happy he's good to go."

Fernando Amorebieta (knee), Sean Kavanagh (thigh) and Tim Hoogland are still missing.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-keeper-gets-thumbs-up-8144044?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss plays down Brentford derby win

Cottagers and Bees to renew rivalries in front of sold-out Griffin Park

Kit Symons admits Fulham's League Cup win counts for nothing when they face Brentford again tomorrow night.

Ross McCormack's goal earned the Cottagers a 1-0 victory at Griffin Park earlier this season before they eventually bowed out in the fourth round to Derby County.

The Whites have been rejuvenated since Symons took over from Felix Magath, while the Bees go into the game in sixth spot after a storming start to life in the Championship.

"We played them earlier this season in the cup game and the two teams you see now are both very, very different from that game back then," said the Fulham boss. "I think both sides have come an awful long way.

"They're up in the play-off spots at the moment and doing really well but they're not there by luck, they're playing some really good football along the way as well and getting some great results."

Brentford and Fulham have not faced eachother in a league fixture since 1998, and Symons is relishing renewing rivalries in front of a sold-out crowd.

Winner: Ross McCormack scored the only goal when the sides met in August
He added: "I never played a Fulham vs Brentford game but it's a big derby. I know what it means to our fans.

"I spoke to the players briefly this morning, I had a good chat with Scott Parker about it and that'll be a big part of our team talk tomorrow for our players to realise how important it is.

"At the end of the day it's another three points but these games are special. I love derby games, I love Championship games and if you get a derby game in the Championship, brilliant."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-plays-down-brentford-8144949?

WhiteJC

Brentford vs Fulham: The Rivalry

Brentford and Fulham have shared a rivalry for all of their history but now that we are back in the championship the fierce competitiveness at these derbies has been reignited.

Brentford and Fulham have competed at the same levels for a few periods of their history. The fiercest rivalry was when Fulham were descending down the divisions in the eighties and nineties. These matches always brought in big crowds and caused tension on the pitch and on terraces.

In recent times Fulham have gained promotion to the highest division but now we are back in the same league as them and the rivalry is fiercer than ever because of the Bees excellent form and Fulham struggling in the Championship.

Back on the 26th of August Fulham scraped a lucky 1-0 at Griffin Park in the League Cup but that was the first fixture since 1998 when Fulham won 2-0 in a League fixture.

The Bees are now on an excellent run with 3 wins out of 3 so far and are more than ready for the arrival of Fulham this Friday night. In what will be a tense but exciting match I believe the Bees can prevail victorious!

Read more: http://www.brentford.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=377296#ixzz3JdWic1Kw

WhiteJC

Brentford v Fulham Team News Update

This Friday sees a classic West London derby when Fulham make the short journey to take on Brentford at Griffin Park.

The fixture is sold out and is also being, for those without tickets, broadcast on Sky Sports.

With the big kick-off only just over twenty four hours away, we have an update with regards to those who might or might not be available for selection.

First up Brentford.

The Bees will be without Alan McCormack and Scott Hogan, the former has an ankle injury whilst the latter has a cruciate problem.

However, Brentford will be able to welcome back Jonathan Douglas who has served a recent suspension.

And now Fulham.

The Cottagers will be without Adam Taggart who is still troubled by a groin injury.

Kit Symons will be hoping that Fernando Amorebieta and Tim Hoogland have recovered from knee and pelvis injuries respectively.

The new boss will also be hoping that his keeper, Marcus Bettinelli, will have recovered from a toe injury, if not Gabor Kiraly will deputize.

COYW's

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=377364#ixzz3JdX3mlUI

WhiteJC

Brentford v Fulham: Both sides to score in Friday night feast

The Championship returns to our screens on Friday night with a tasty West London derby between two in-form sides, and Andy Tongue is expecting goals in an entertaining clash...

Brentford v Fulham
Friday, 21 November, 19:45
Live on Sky Sports 1

Brentford

Three wins on the spin - victory over leaders Derby followed by triumphs at Nottingham Forest and Millwall - have seen Mark Warburton's men leap into the play-off spots and they currently sit in sixth place with just one defeat in seven games. You could pick a few holes in the form and argue that Forest and Millwall are two of the division's poorest sides currently but there's no denying the Bees have adjusted very nicely to life back in the second tier.

At home they have been strong this season with four wins, three draws and just the one defeat - at the hands of Norwich when the Canaries were flying high in September. Striker Andre Gray has scored four times in those three consecutive wins but Warburton is still trying to bring in another forward despite losing out to Wolves in his attempts to sign Danny Graham on-loan.

The Bees stand out player so far this season, Jonathan Douglas, missed the win at Millwall through suspension but is set to return to his holding role in midfield and will be charged with stopping Fulham captain Scott Parker who has rolled back the years with some marauding performances in recent weeks.

Griffin Park is tight old-fashioned ground and having sold-out for Fulham's first visit in 15 years it should be rocking under lights for this much-anticipated clash.

Fulham

Kit Symons said after the win over Huddersfield which lifted his side out of the bottom three that he is targeting a place in the play-offs and it's understandable why. Although they are still in 17th place, they are only nine points off sixth spot and their opponents here have shown how a run of just three wins on the spin can propel a side up the Championship table.

Last season Leicester had 38 points with Burnley and QPR on 35 each - this time around Derby top the table with only 32 points, with nine teams within six points of them. Putting a line through hapless Blackpool any side could still realistically target a top six finish and certainly the likes of Fulham and Bolton will think they can turn this season around having made managerial changes early enough not to lose sight of the leading pack.

The Cottagers are now unbeaten in six games, though Symons does need to solve the problem of their away form which has been an Achilles heel for too long now. They have won just one match away from the banks of the Thames this season and have not won more than four games on the road in one season for a decade. Admittedly they were in the Premier League for all of that time but it's still a telling stat.

However, with a strike trio of Brian Ruiz, Hugo Rodallega and Ross McCormack it's no surprise they have banged in 16 goals in their last six games and if Symons can tighten things up at the back, they should move up the league fairly swiftly. To that end he's been linked with a loan move for former Cottage fans favourite Chris Baird, who is currently out of favour at West Brom.

Both Teams to Score

Both teams to score is pretty short at 1.64 but it's easy to see why. Fulham have drawn their last two away games 3-3 and have been scoring for fun in recent matches but their star-studded forward line isn't quite matched by a defence, which has yet to keep a clean sheet away from Craven Cottage this season.

As well as conceding three in each of their last two away games, they also shipped five at both Nottingham Forest and Derby earlier in the year. Yes, those games were under the ill-fated Felix Magaath but the evidence so far is that Symons has solved their home form and got the team's attacking verve back but work is still needed at the back to turn them into a side capable of moving up the table.

The Bees are in good goal-scoring form too, having netted eight times in their last three matches, and although this is a shorter price than I would usually look to recommend in these previews, I feel it's well worth steaming into as our best bet here.

Match Odds

With both sides in good form, this should be a close contest and make for good televised entertainment for neutrals. In local derbies I always take the view that avoiding defeat is the primary objective for a lot of teams and this looks to be a classic case of that.

With Fulham's away form this season still not great, a point here  - to follow high-scoring draws at Rotherham and Wigan in their last two matches on the road - would be seen as a decent result by Symons as he must be confident of his men beating anybody at Craven Cottage at the moment.

I'm sure Warburton would also accept that outcome and the draw always provides a good return - it's available to back here at 3.6 which would ensure that everybody goes home happy.

And if you fancy combining the two bets above then head over to the Sportsbook where you can back the draw in the Both Teams to Score and Match Odds market at 4.2.

Recommended Bets
Back Both Teams to Score @ 1.64 *Best Bet
Back The Draw @ 3.6

https://betting.betfair.com/football/championship/brentford-v-fulham-161114-601.html?

WhiteJC

Angola Miss Out

Angola missed out on a place at the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations on Wednesday.

Their only hope was of being the best third placed team in qualifying, but their 1-1 draw with Burkina Faso left them on six points, with the Democratic Republic of Congo's nine points won in Group D enough to see them nab the final spot.

Mananga Jonathan Buatu started the game in Burkina Faso and the visitors took the lead just before the half hour mark when Djalma converted a penalty.

But Burkina Faso drew level with a spot kick of their own in first half stoppage time, with Jonathan Pitroipa – a man who played at Craven Cottage for Hamburg in 2010 – netting from 12 yards.

Angola may find the slightest consolation in the fact that victory on Wednesday still would not have been enough to see them qualify for next year's competition.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/20/angola-miss-out?

WhiteJC

Fulham eye loan deals ahead of deadline

Fulham will look to strengthen their squad before the loan window closes on November 27.

Manager Kit Symons is especially keen to strengthen his midfield and would also like to offload some of the club's fringe players.

Symons said: "I'm constantly looking. The clock is ticking on the [loan] window.

"I will always look if we can bring someone if they improve us but they've got to be better quality and the right character because the dynamic of the group is very important.

"Sometimes it's just as important to keep the wrong person out of the building as it is to bring the right person in.

"We have got a big squad of players so potentially there could be outgoings too, but I'm not expecting any of our regular starters to be going anywhere."

Meanwhile, Symons has said he is relishing the prospect of a west London derby against neighbours Brentford at Griffin Park on Friday evening.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-eye-loan-deals-ahead-of-deadline?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss keen to keep defender Burn

Kit Symons has insisted that Dan Burn is not for sale and that Fulham are not under pressure to part with their best players.

Defender Burn, 22, has impressed this season and was recently linked with a move to West Ham.

But Whites boss Symons said: "We've got an excellent group of young players and I want to take them forward with Fulham.

"I want to keep Dan. He's a big part of how we play and he's been excellent since he's come in – he's one of our leaders.

"We're under no pressure to sell anyone. It's never once been mentioned and I don't think it will be."

Symons is preparing for his first transfer window since taking over at Craven Cottage, and is hoping to strengthen his squad and offload some fringe players.

"We're top-heavy in certain positions and a little bit light in others," he explained.

"Ideally there would be one or two acquisitions and we've got people on the case, scouring everywhere.

"But there's also a few boys out on loan who could come back in January and strengthen us in certain areas."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-wls-boss-insists-burn-is-not-for-sale-after-west-ham-are-linked-with-defender

WhiteJC

Can Brentford beat Fulham and go second in the table?

Finally. It's Brentford – Fulham. It's tonight, I'm buzzing and I cannot wait to resume League action with our neighbours. I think it's going to be a tense and tough game but I also know we have the players who, if they do what they have been doing in recent weeks, have all the ability to pick up the three points that will take us into joint second in the Championship table.

And, at the same time, give us that sweetest of things – local pride and gloating rights.

It promises to be an incredible atmosphere in what is our first sell out crowd of the season. Watching Moses Odubajo's interview for Gaff.TV yesterday, he described how intense it was in our Capital One Cup meeting this season and sounded genuinely blown away by it.

I can't imagine anything but things being cranked up a few more notches for a full-blooded League match where a heavy win could even see us hit a Premiership promotion spot. With the Sky TV cameras in attendance, two of the Championship's form sides (and that's not a phrase you would have said about Fulham earlier in the season) go head to head in what is sure to be a ferocious and hard fought derby.

Just to put that into a little more perspective, Faye Carruthers – the sport's anchor on Christian O'Connell's Absolute Radio breakfast show – eventually opened her presenting stint (following an alcohol fuelled  'sleep in') with the line "Brentford can go one point off the top with a win over Fulham". One point off the top!!!

And, as such, I'm pleased to see the League have shown some sense with their choice of referee – on paper, at least. The man in the middle is David Coote who we are yet to cross swords with this season. However, a record of 17 yellows from 7(seven) games seems fairly reasonable and his is not a name that rings any alarm bells in the same way as an Attwell, Stroud or Biggar.

A cheap excuse to drag out the Stroud montage – we've been spared, for now

Indeed, a quick trawl of the interweb to see if we have any 'past form' reveals little. He took charge of a 2-2 draw at home to Bury in Feb 2013, issuing a solitary card, and that's about it.

However, with my research project not going beyond page 2 of Google, lets hope Mr Coote is, indeed, the man for the job and doesn't end up driving us quackers.

I could wax lyrical about the Fulham game all day long but, with columns already published this week, if you want any more then they are here and here.

Instead, the other news to grab the eye yesterday was the launch of the Brentford 125 anniversary book. Brought to you by the people who produced the three 'Big Brentford Book of the... 70s, 80s and 90s' it promises to be an excellent read.

Anybody who has picked up any of the previous publications will be in no doubt as to the quality of those efforts and I can only imagine this latest one will follow suit as the authors look to achieve that trickiest of tasks – a reflection on our entire history.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on this book and, if Santa Claus is reading, I'd like to think I've not been too naughty this year. But for those of you who can't wait, it goes on sale today from the club shop.

Finally, I'm sure tonight will give numerous renditions of 'Bees Up, Fulham Down'. And rightly so. However, don't forget our own adopted 'Hey Jude' which, I hope, will feature heavily.

But if the Beatles version is sounding a bit familiar and lets be honest – it does get played a lot on the radio – then how about this one? None other than the King. Not Jota but Elvis Presley, giving it his finest.

Now bring on those "Na,na,naaa,na,na,na,naaahhhs" and let's beat Fulham.

http://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/2014/11/21/can-brentford-beat-fulham-and-go-second-in-the-table/?