more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (21/11/14)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 20, 2014, 05:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Same Again Please!

Not being able to get to Griffin Park tonight I`m as pleased as punch that the game is being televised live tonight.

Regrettably, work commitments prevent me from getting to London in time for kick-off let alone venturing towards Griffin Park.

However, I`m pretty confident that Kit Symons can gee his charges up enough to get a favourable result and I also have a suspicion that Dan Burn might be a key figure.

After all Burn has a liking for Brentford having netted the winner against them, at Wembley, whilst playing for Yeovil in the League One play-off final back in 2013.

There`s also the small matter of the 1-0 victory we earned at Griffin Park, in the Capital One Cup earlier this season, a win gained when, to put it mildly, we were not in the best of form.

Talking confidently about tonight, my choice for first goal-scorer, Dan Burn had this to say,

"Each time I have played against them I have got a good result."

"Playing at Wembley and scoring the winner was of the highlights of my career."

Let`s all hope that run continues tonight!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=377405#ixzz3JimU2GdA

WhiteJC

BRENTFORD V FULHAM: BEES' HOME FORM HINTS AT WIN FOR HOSTS

Griffin Park outfit have lost just one of their last eight games in front of their own fans

The weekend's football action starts early this week with Brentford hosting Fulham at Griffin Park on Friday night.

The Bees go into the tie as marginal favourites at 11/8, while Fulham can be backed for a second consecutive win at 9/5.

A share of the points is priced up at 5/2 but with just one draw in the last six meetings between the two sides there are a number better bets to be had.

Ladbrokes News' James Curtis has trawled through the numerous options to bring you three of the best.

Brentford to win and both teams to score @ 10/3

Fulham are unbeaten in six and look a much-improved side since the appointment of Kit Symons.

However, the Cottagers are yet to arrest their poor away form and have now won just once in six Championship games on the road.

Brentford, meanwhile, have lost just once in eight at Griffin Park and therefore have to be backed for the win.

Fulham haven't struggled to score on the road though, netting six in their last two and failing to score just once in five.

Over 2.5 goals @ 3/4

This particular west London derby isn't usually a high scoring affair. Fulham's 5-0 friendly hammering of the Bees in 2010 aside, the last five clashes have seen more than two goals just once.

However, all that looks set to change with Brentford seeing over three or more goals in their last four outings and Fulham's fans seeing over the 2.5 line in seven of their last eight.

Brentford to score first 27th minute and over @ 12/5

Mark Warburton's side have taken the lead in their last three games but haven't exactly started games with a bang of late.

In fact the Bees have scored in the first 26 minutes of games just once in six attempts. So back the hosts to fire first in a slow burner this time round.

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/football/championship/brentford-fulham-bees-home-form-hints-win-hosts_218827.html?

WhiteJC

Next Up: Brentford

We look ahead to Fulham's first league meeting with rivals Brentford in more than 16 years, ahead of our Friday night clash.

The opposition

Friday night's West London derby pits two of the Sky Bet Championship's in-form teams against one another. Fulham have not lost any of their previous six league encounters, while Brentford have been defeated just once in seven, and have won their last three.

It's form which has propelled the Bees into the Play-Off places – they currently occupy sixth spot and are just four points behind leaders Derby County, a side they defeated 2-1 courtesy of a last-minute goal at Griffin Park on 1st November.

The season started solidly enough for Brentford as they took 11 points from their opening six matches, but three losses in their subsequent four games left them sitting in mid-table.

Things have picked up significantly since then, though, with Mark Warburton's side following up their excellent win over Derby with an impressive 3-1 win away to Nottingham Forest and a London derby victory over Millwall last time out.

Andre Gray – a summer arrival from Luton Town – has been the main supplier of goals so far with six in the league, while midfielders Jonathon Douglas and Alex Pritchard (pictured) have chipped in with three apiece.

Team news

Douglas is expected to return to the Brentford starting line-up having served a one-match suspension after picking up five yellow cards. The 32-year-old midfielder had previously been ever-present in the league for the Bees.

Injury-wise, Warburton has no new concerns, although Alan McCormack and Scott Hogan are long-term absentees.

Inside the camp

Brentford manager Warburton knows the importance of Friday's game to the fans, but insists his team are just fighting for another three points at the end of the day.

Speaking to Bees Player, he said: "It's a big derby, a big West London derby between the two clubs and it means a lot to the supporters. So we're well aware of the significance of the game but all we ever talk about is the next fixture, and three points.

"Whether you beat the top or you beat the bottom, it's three points. We've had a good run of games, a good three victories, and it's changed the perception of the league table. Here we are in sixth, now we want to cement our place in the league and go again.

"This is what they worked so hard for last year; they worked hard for the fixtures, and these types of TV games. Griffin Park, under the lights, packed house; fantastic.

"They relish that type of challenge, there's no players that shy away from that in our squad. They look forward to the game and it's important to turn up and give a good performance which hopefully gets the right result and keeps the supporters happy." 

Player to watch

Moses Odubajo: Brentford reportedly had to part with a club-record £1m to convince Leyton Orient to let Moses Odubajo move across the capital this summer, but the young winger's potential could make that a savvy deal in years to come. The 21-year-old was ever-present for the O's last term, scoring 12 times in 57 appearances, and has now gone on to play in all but one league game for his new club. A skilful and pacey wideman, Greenwich-born Odubajo is also capable of filling in at full-back when required, as he did when he was named the sponsors' man of the match in Brentford's Capital One Cup defeat to Fulham earlier in the season.

Marathonbet match odds

Brentford: 29/20

Draw: 12/5

Fulham: 43/20

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/21/next-up-brentford?

WhiteJC

Dan Burn wants to break Brentford hearts again

Fulham defender scored the winner in 2013 League One play-off final

Wembley winner: Dan Burn scores for Yeovil against Brentford in 2013
Dan Burn wants to deliver another knockout blow against Brentford tonight.

The Fulham defender scored the winner for Yeovil in the League One play-off final in 2013 to break Bees hearts.

Burn helped the Cottagers claim bragging rights with a 1-0 League Cup win at Griffin Park earlier this season, and hopes he can continue his unblemished record against Mark Warburton's men.

He said: "I know what they are about. They are well organised and press high up the pitch. They got promoted last year, so have a lot of confidence.

"I played against them twice when I was at Yeovil and I've played them once for Fulham and I've always got a pretty good result.

"I hope I'm not jinxing myself but I do seem to do well against them, so let's hope it carries on. Playing at Wembley and scoring the winner was one of the highlights of my career.

"No one expected us to get into the play-offs, so to see my family celebrating at the final whistle was something special."

Trophy boy: Burn celebrates Yeovil's play-off success
Burn was out of favour for the first few games of the season but was handed his first start in the Capital One Cup clash back in August.

And after securing their first clean sheet of the campaign, the towering centre-back has cemented his place in the heart of defence.

"It was massive for me as it was my first start," he said. "If I hadn't of played well I don't think I would've played for Fulham again.

"If it was the same result I would be very pleased. The pressure is on because it's a derby and we have to win our battles."

Bragging rights: Ross McCormack scored the winner at Griffin Park back in August
Fulham will be hoping to extend a six-game unbeaten run and continue to climb the Championship table.

And he insists Kit Symons' side can still claim a spot in the end of season lottery as they bid to win promotion back to the Premier League at the first attempt.

He added: "Reaching the play-offs is very realistic. We don't fear anyone in this division and are full of confidence at the moment. The league is still so tight – everyone is beating each other."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dan-burn-wants-break-brentford-8141419?

WhiteJC

Kit Symons sends warning to West Ham over Dan Burn pursuit

Fulham boss Kit Symons says that the club are under no pressure to sell West Ham target Dan Burn.

West Ham United are still trying to negotiate a new contract with star defender Winston Reid, but with little progress on the 26-year-old's deal, the Hammers have to start looking for possible replacements.

Reports last weekend suggested that West Ham had been scouting Austrian centre back pairing Aleksandar Dragovic and Martin Hinteregger, but they were also allegedly interested in Fulham's Dan Burn.

Burn, 22, started his career with Darlington before making a £350,000 switch to Craven Cottage, and after loan spells with Yeovil Town and Birmingham City.

The 6ft 7in centre back is a giant of a man, and he uses that to great effect, serving as something of an immovable object when it comes to aerial battles.

With plenty of potential, it was no surprise to see West Ham linked with a £4m bid for Burn last weekend as they identify contingency plans for Reid's possible exit.

However, Fulham boss Kit Symons has warned the Hammers off pursuing Burn, saying that he is one of the key players of Fulham's future, whilst also acknowledging that the club are under no pressure to sell Burn.

"We've got an excellent group of young players and I want to take them forward with Fulham," said Symons. "I want to keep Dan. He's a big part of how we play and he's been excellent since he's come in – he's one of our leaders."

"We're under no pressure to sell anyone. It's never once been mentioned and I don't think it will be," he added.

It remains to be seen whether West Ham continue their pursuit, but a deal which involves loaning Burn back to Fulham could be agreeable for all parties.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/11/21/kit-symons-sends-warning-to-west-ham-over-dan-burn-pursuit/?

WhiteJC

U21 Premier League Cup Commences

Fulham's Barclays U21 Premier League Cup campaign kicks off on Sunday when Peter Grant's troops entertain Norwich City at Motspur Park (3pm).

Last season, the Whites began with a match away to Aston Villa, where a trio of late goals sent them through to the next round.

A brilliant ball over the top from deep released Moussa Dembélé on 83 minutes, and the Frenchman killed it dead before finishing coolly to open scoring.

He was at it again five minutes later when a fine Lyle Della Verde pass sent him through one-on-one and he used his chest to get the ball under control before rifling through the goalkeeper's legs.

Ange-Freddy Plumain added some gloss to the scoreline three minutes into stoppage time when he applied the finish having played a neat one-two with Lasse Vigen Christensen.

Fulham were drawn against Arsenal in the last-16, and it proved to be a future Whites midfielder who made the difference as Thomas Eisfeld netted the only goal of the game just before the hour mark to send the Gunners through.

The German showed good feet to work space for himself in the box and fired a shot high into the roof of the net to leave Jesse Joronen with little chance.

Arsenal, as it happens, had defeated Norwich by the same scoreline in the previous round.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/21/u21-premier-league-cup-commences?

WhiteJC

20 Per Cent Off Away Kit

Stuck for Christmas presents? Need a new top for when you're recreating Papa Bouba Diop's screamer against Man United during five-a-side on Thursdays? Or maybe you're one of the few people who just haven't yet snapped up our stylish Away Kit for reasons unbeknownst to anyone?!

For a limited time only there's 20% off our black and infrared Away Kit, adults and kids; shirts, shorts and socks. The whole lot!

Part of our 'New Originals' concept, the ever popular black Away Kit has infrared trim, featuring contemporary design and technical innovation. And remember, it's switching to our Third Kit for the 2015/16 season, so it will be worn by you and the boys for two seasons as opposed to one.

The discount is valid until the end of November 2014 in both in the Stadium Store and online, where it can be purchased today. We're also offering free UK standard delivery for all orders over £75, as well as a Click and Collect option from both the Stadium Store and our Motspur Park Training Ground.

Shop at the Stadium Store, or online today!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/20/20-per-cent-off-away-kit?

WhiteJC

Filling the Fulham gaps

The international break may have come at a seemingly inconvenient time for Kit Symons following the 3-1 win at home to Huddersfield, but the same can certainly be said for our old friends Brentford who we meet this Friday. The last three games have seen our neighbours turn over Derby, Forest and Millwall, so we should be under no illusions of the challenge that lies ahead.

For the first time in a while though the team selection on match-days for Fulham has started to become reassuringly predictable. If, like me, you long for the days of an ever-present back four, a team with a midfield that are well drilled in performing their duties alongside a forward pairing that have a genuine understanding, then you too will understand the pain of transitioning from predictable, safe and reliable Uncle Roy through to the farce that was Felix bingo. By no means am I saying that we are anywhere near the now distant dream that was the 2009-10 season, but the foundations are certainly being laid. Now that Kit has been sworn in we can assess the gaps that need to be filled in and continue moving forward.

Starting from the back and if we are being brutal you would have to say that the club do still need to consider the Number 1 spot. Bettinelli has been fantastic since Symons took over but were the right player to come available, I am sure we would all be open to another option, and preferably not one in trousers. Nikolay Bodurov has proved to be a rare positive in the Magath legacy and on performances so far is probably our best centre back. Burn alongside him appears to be building an understanding, although it remains to be seen whether Hutchinson will challenge him for that place.

I think it is sometimes forgotten that Burn is still only 22. The fact he featured in the Premier League seems to have left him labelled as a senior player but perhaps only on reflection of the young squad around him. The Football Manager fan in me wonders if Tiago Casasola may yet make that early step up, although this season will likely prove too soon. The full backs are still not established but the left side would perhaps be of more concern than the right should Hoogland remain consistent.

In midfield we are fairly well stocked. Christensen, Williams, Kavanagh and Hyndman have all put in some good displays but I can't pretend I wasn't a little bit excited when I read the rumour we were looking to bring Bairdinho back on loan. We should definitely be looking for another experienced head to relieve some of the pressure on Parker in January.

On paper we have one of the best forward trios in the league. The fact is though with Ruiz's contract up in the summer, we may well offload in January so will the likes of Dembele, Woodrow and Smith be enough to resist dipping in to the market ?

It may yet be the case that a few more of those gaps in the team are established by the time the window opens and there is certainly the opportunity for those on the fringes to show that we already have the tools to continue pushing up the league.

Despite the local pride that is very much at stake this Friday, we need to remain realistic in expecting immediate results. Things are slowly coming together but there is still a long way to go. We did however snatch a win in the cup so here's hoping for another scrappy 1-0 down at Griffin Park.

COYW!

http://www.shoot.co.uk/category/team/filling-the-fulham-gaps/

WhiteJC

Kit Relishing Atmosphere

Kit Symons is anticipating a typical derby atmosphere at Griffin Park on Friday night, but is backing his side to thrive in the situation.

The first league meeting between Brentford and Fulham since the 1997/98 season was always going to be one of the key fixtures fans of both teams look to this term, and the Whites Manager is looking forward to the clash.

"We'll make sure the boys are under no illusions as to what they're going to come up against," he said. "It will be a real fervent atmosphere, but that's brilliant, that's great experience for young players because you can channel that and use it to your advantage.

"That's the sort of environment I want my boys to be playing in – I think it will be brilliant for them. It's going to be a great game of football with a brilliant atmosphere.

"I'm very challenging and demanding in what I ask the players to do. Some people might think maybe that's a bit unfair with young players but these young players have got to grow up very quickly, and they are doing.

"But I know what they can do because I know them so well, I know what they're capable of and I wouldn't ask them to do things I didn't think they could. I'll always set people and teams up to succeed, so I'm quite mindful of peoples' strengths and weaknesses and what they can and can't do.

"But the team, the group of players involved in Fulham shirts on Friday night, will be more than able to deal with that atmosphere, for sure."

Brentford have exceeded expectations so far this season and three wins on the bounce prior to the international break left them sitting in sixth spot in the Sky Bet Championship.

Asked in Thursday's press conference if he envied the way the Bees were playing and their league position, Symons responded: "Not the way they're playing because I think we're probably playing equally as well at the moment.

"I envy where they are because they're above us in the league; anyone above us in the league I'd switch places with, positionally.

"But my group of players and this Club now is in the ascendency, without a doubt, but that's mostly down to hard work and what we feel is the right sort of work. They're doing brilliant and full credit to [Brentford] but my focus is on the work we do here and where we're going, and I'm quite pleased."

Friday's opponents are led by Mark Warburton who has impressed in his first managerial role, leading his side to promotion from League One last year and already having gone some way to consolidating their status as a second-tier outfit.

"I think he's done a tremendous job," Symons said of his opposite number. "Without a doubt he's instilled a lot of confidence.

"Just from watching them and watching his mannerisms on the sideline, he's taken the pressure off the players. He's given them a way of playing and he's taken the pressure off them which is excellent and I think he's doing a tremendous job."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/21/kit-relishing-atmosphere?

WhiteJC

West Ham's Burn hopes up in smoke

Fulham boss Kit Symons has told West Ham they can forget about signing defender Dan Burn.

The Hammers are on the look out for a centre-back with Winston Reid considering his future and a number of clubs interested in the New Zealand international.

Sam Allardyce has sent scouts to watch Burn in action for the Championship side, but recently-appointed Symons says the talented 22-year-old is not leaving Craven Cottage any time soon.

"We've got an excellent group of young players and I want to take them forward with Fulham," Symons said. "I want to keep Dan. He's a big part of how we play and he's been excellent since he's come in – he's one of our leaders."

"We're under no pressure to sell anyone. It's never once been mentioned and I don't think it will be."

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/west-hams-burn-hopes-smoke-141121125713#ddD8CbjOG59WXXoO.99

WhiteJC

U18s Visit Brighton

Fulham's Under-18s will be looking for a return to form when they travel to Brighton & Hove Albion on Saturday (11am).

The Whites have lost all three November games so far, with narrow 3-2 defeats by London rivals Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea sandwiching a heavy 5-0 loss up at Leicester City.

Brighton currently occupy fourth spot in the Barclays U18 Premier League – five places above Fulham – and have only played once this month; a 3-2 defeat by Leicester on November 1st.

The two sides have already met this season, when the Whites were beaten 1-0 at Motspur Park in our opening match of the new campaign.

It was a harsh result on the home side who threatened throughout, but the Seagulls took the points courtesy of Dessie Hutchinson's 25th minute strike.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/21/u18s-visit-brighton?

WhiteJC

Anniversary Of The Bradford Fire

All matches in the Barclays Premier League and Sky Bet Football League on the weekend of April 25th will be preceded by a minute's silence to mark the 30th Anniversary of the Bradford Fire Disaster in which 56 supporters lost their lives and hundreds more were injured. The date coincides with Bradford City's last home match of the season, when the Club traditionally marks the anniversary of the disaster which occurred on 11th May 1985.

Fulham face Middlesbrough at Craven Cottage on Saturday 25th April.

The Football Association, the Premier League and The Football League will also support efforts to help raise £300,000 for the Plastic Surgery and Burns Research Unit (PSBRU) at the University of Bradford.

The Football League's Chief Executive, Shaun Harvey, said: "This period of silence will give fans across the country the opportunity to remember the terrible events that occurred at Valley Parade back in 1985 and, in particular, the supporters of Bradford City and Lincoln City that lost their lives.  The disaster's impact continues to resonate within the Bradford community and within football and we must ensure that the lessons learned from it are never forgotten."

Premier League Chairman, Peter McCormick, said: "The Bradford Fire was one of the most terrible tragedies ever to strike English football. It will be forever remembered by all football fans not only for the loss of life but also for the many acts of bravery by the emergency services and the fans themselves.  All Premier League clubs have agreed to observe a minute's silence on 25 April 2015 in solidarity with Bradford City FC as they prepare to play their last home game of the season.

"In addition the Premier League will help the fundraising for the Club's chosen charity, the Bradford University Plastic Surgery and Burns Research Unit, beginning with a donation of £25,000 and continuing with support for Bradford City's fundraising efforts throughout April.  We would also wish to use this occasion to restate our commitment to the safety of fans, who should never again be exposed to the kind of risks that led to the Bradford tragedy."

The Football Association's Chairman, Greg Dyke, said: "Next May it will be 30 years since the terrible tragedy that cost 56 people their lives when a fire destroyed the main stand at the Bradford City v Lincoln City match at Valley Parade. It is important that football comes together to mark the tragedy and remember those who lost their lives. The Football Association sends its sincere condolences to those families and friends affected by the tragedy.

"The FA welcomes the Football League and Premier League's commitment for other clubs to join Bradford City FC in their minute's silence ahead of their final home game of the season on April 25th. The FA will also mark the anniversary at Wembley where we will also encourage fans to support fundraising for the Plastic Surgery and Burns Research Unit at Bradford University."

In addition to the minute's silence at matches on April 25, the official Commemoration will include a service of civic remembrance in Centenary Square, Bradford, on Monday May 11th as well as the annual Memorial Football Tournament for young people in Bradford during Easter weekend, April 5-6th.

Mark Lawn, the co-Chairman of Bradford City said: "I am personally delighted that the FA, The Football League and Premier League have got involved. I would like to remind people that the PSBRU is solely reliant on charitable donations by the public, charitable organisations and businesses, and has no funding from the Government.

"I am extremely pleased that Bradford City FC has helped to fund the PSBRU through the supporters raising money. This has been enough over the years to help maintain and exceed the standards coming from the Unit."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/21/anniversary-of-the-bradford-fire?

WhiteJC

Why Fulham's Chelsea and QPR duels spell bad news for Brentford
The Bees are buzzing in sixth spot in the second tier, but they're about to fall under the Cottagers' wheels for the second time this term.

Fulham's televised trip to Brentford earmarks the return of the Championship from a third international hibernation of the campaign and a fantastic price can be had backing the visitors.

The Cottagers are available at 39/20 to prevail at the Bees' hive, where they've won once already this season in the Capital One Cup.

Mark Warburton's drones assume 13/10 favouritism to prevail, while it's 9/4 about the draw.

Both bets, however, can be disregarded in favour of a wager on the underdogs, whose record in inter west London affairs is particularly laudable.

Fulham's victory at Griffin Park earlier in the piece epitomises just how good Kit Symons men are against their neighbours.

Prior to toppling Brentford, they'd lost four on the spin under the instruction of Clown University professor Felix Magath, who then failed to win the three matches that followed before being sacked.

This prevalent uselessness didn't prevent the Cottagers besting a Bees side that's lost just one other home game since.

Given the gulf in finances and, more importantly, quality between our heroes and their most prestigious local foes, Chelsea, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect the Cottagers to succumb to their huffing and puffing on a regular basis.

True, they did come off second best in their previous three tussles with the Blues, but prior to that they avoided defeat in five successive renewals.

Then there's QPR to consider.

The Super Hoops have been unable to even score a goal in six of their last eight dust ups with the men from Craven Cottage, who have emerged victorious in all but two duels across this period.

With no league loss in six, Fulham can couple this stellar derby record with excellent current form and look very much worth the money at a smidge short of 2/1.

Fulham to beat Brentford @ 9/5

- See more at: http://bwinbetting.com/leagues/championship/fulham-chelsea-duels-brentford,64030.html?#sthash.kjU3wM5M.dpuf