WhiteJC

U18 REPORT: ALBION 2 FULHAM 2

ALBION 2
Mar-Larusson
Meyers

FULHAM 2
Walker
Humphrys

A rainy morning in Lancing saw Brighton & Hove Albion under-18s take the lead twice, only to be held to a draw by Fulham on Saturday.

A tight first half produced only a handful of opportunities, a couple of which fell to Jordan Maguire-Drew.

He saw a powerful left-footed strike whistle past the post in the opening ten minutes and, soon after, a high tempo Albion move eventually fell to the winger left of the six yard box, but his effort was hacked off the line.

The game had its first goal just minutes into the second half, as Albion right-back Josh Courtney flew down the right wing, receiving the ball on the overlap before delivering inside. It fell to Ragnar Mar-Larusson, whose deflected effort gave the hosts the lead.

However, it didn't last long; a long ball out of the Fulham defence found its way to the pacey Josh Walker, who rounded the onrushing Bailey Vose to equalise on 50 minutes.

James Tilley went close to restoring Albion's lead almost immediately, as he plucked a ball out of the air on his chest, before volleying it over his shoulder but unfortunately over the bar.

But on 68 minutes the lead was regained, the goal again coming from an overlapping full-back as Dylan Barnett whipped a ball across the six-yard box for substitute Remy Meyers to poke home.

A resilient Fulham side were once again quick to strike back though; this time a direct pass found Stephen Humphrys, whose run and finish eventually bobbled in despite the best efforts of the Albion defenders on the line.

The hosts were unlucky not to clinch victory late on, as Courtney struck over from close range on 88 minutes. Then, an outstanding turn from Tilley put himself through on goal, but his effort skidded wide of the post on the wet surface.

ALBION: Vose (GK); Courtney, Barclay (Horncastle 45), White, Barnett; Hutchinson, Collar, Tighe; Maguire-Drew, Mar Larusson (Meyers 63), Tilley. Subs not used: Cox, Brown, Cadman.

Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/brighton-hove-albion-fulham-under-18-report-2099668.aspx#1xudu1RK2s70Ydck.99

WhiteJC

Coventry City's Jordan Clarke digs out Fulham flat-mate Stephen Arthurworrey and proves Yeovil Town need not rely on strikers at Notts County

JORDAN Clarke has answered manager Gary Johnson's call for goals from across the pitch to prove Yeovil Town need not rely on their strikers to inspire victories.

The Coventry City loanee capped his scintillating start to life at Huish Park by heading home twice to seal a 2-1 triumph at Notts County in Sky Bet League One.

It was just Yeovil's fifth win in all competitions this season and although they again dominated their opposition, defender Stephen Arthurworrey's error had left them staring at a 1-0 defeat before Clarke struck.

The 23-year-old scored both of his goals in the last six minutes to spare the blushes of his flat-mate and fellow loanee, netting just days after his temporary boss has encouraged the squad to share the burden in front of goal.

Read more: http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Coventry-City-s-Jordan-Clarke-digs-Fulham-flat/story-24624754-detail/story.html?#ixzz3K0Gc13vd
Follow us: @thewesterngaz on Twitter | theWesternGazette on Facebook

WhiteJC

Bishop's Stortford sign former Fulham defender

BISHOP'S Stortford has signed former Fulham defender Daniel O'Reilly from Hereford United.

The centre-half featured regularly for Fulham's U18 side and has also captained Ireland's U15s, 16s and U17 teams.

But the 19-year-old joins the Blues from the Evo-Stik League Southern Premier Division side after spending time at Ryman South Walton Casuals last season.

Read more: http://www.hertsandessexobserver.co.uk/Bishop-s-Stortford-sign-Fulham-defender/story-24641928-detail/story.html?#ixzz3K0GsWv2h
Follow us: @HertsEssexObser on Twitter

WhiteJC

Williams: Still Positive

George Williams admits the Whites were hurting after the Brentford match but insists the Team will not dwell on it as they seek to get back to winning ways.

Having only tasted defeat twice in our last ten Sky Bet Championship games, the losing feeling is not a familiar one, but two late Brentford goals on Friday night cancelled out Hugo Rodallega's opener as Fulham left Griffin Park empty handed.

But Williams insists the Whites win together and lose together, and they will not let that result affect the positive attitude which runs throughout the camp.

"It's going to hurt," Williams said. "But we're a really strong, together team at the moment.

"We're back in training and we'll focus on the next game. That game has gone now. We will put it behind us.

"We're going to go [to Brighton] for the three points. We will go there full of confidence as well. The Brentford result won't put us down too much."

The Whites were much improved after the interval at Griffin Park and, after Ross McCormack forced a save from Bees goalkeeper David Button, Williams intercepted a pass and found McCormack, who squared for Rodallega to finish.

Goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli had been the scourge of the Bees, making save after save, and Williams believes Rodallega's clinical finish showed the importance of taking your chances.

"We always believe in ourselves and we knew we had the quality to win this match," added the 19-year-old.

"Going 1-0 up was obviously a big positive. They dominated for most of the game but to get that goal at a time where we were under pressure, that was a big positive for us.

"We just need to work on controlling the game once we get that 1-0 lead and seeing out the rest of the game.

"We knew it was going to be a hard match. Brentford are in great form near the top of the table, they're on a good run of games, they haven't lost in a while.

"So we knew it was going to be tough, but and like I said, we need to work on seeing the game out."

The Welsh international reserved special praise for 1,599 Fulham supporters in the sold-out away end, and revealed the Team felt their presence throughout.

"The fans were magnificent," he continued. "We could hear them the whole time, even in the last few minutes when we went down, they still believed in us. Credit to the fans, they were great."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/24/williams-reaction?

WhiteJC

Kit keen to re-start run

Fulham manager Kit Symons has challenged his side to go on another unbeaten run.

Symons has overseen a massive improvement since he took over from Felix Magath in September with the Cottagers bottom of the table. But their run of six games without defeat came grinding to a halt when they were beaten 2-1 at derby rivals Brentford on Friday night. "My focus is fully on improving us and making us better," said Symons. "I feel like since day one it has been my team. I've been delighted with the response that the players and everyone at the club has given me and I couldn't have asked for more. "It takes time. It is a work in progress for sure. That was the end of a really good unbeaten run for us. Let's go again for another one."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/kit-keen-to-re-start-run-1748571.html?

WhiteJC

FA Youth Cup v Fulham: Details

Alex confirmed to take on Cottagers at Gresty Road in Round Three

Crewe Alexandra are set to meet Fulham in the FA Youth Cup Third Round at the Alexandra Stadium on Wednesday 10th December, 7pm kick-off.

Crewe defeated Preston North End on penalties in round one after a 2-2 draw, before negotiating a much more comfortable passage through round two with a 4-0 win over York City.

Fulham are joining the competition in round three as all Premier League and Championship sides enter, but the Cottagers boast real pedigree having been runners-up in last year's competition - losing the two-legged final to Chelsea.

Ticket arrangements will be on a pay-on-the-gate basis and will once again be priced at £3 for adults and £1 concessions (Seniors, juniors & students)

Read more at http://www.crewealex.net/news/article/fa-youth-cup-v-fulham-details-2101808.aspx#ZRHoRUcS3lQcKkDp.99

WhiteJC

The Craven Corner: Brentford were on another level and Fulham MUST strengthen in January

Our Fulham blogger has given his verdict on the Whites' 2-1 loss to Brentford on Friday and the changes he would make in January.

I've got to be honest, we didn't deserve to win against Brentford on Friday and, while I know they are big rivals, their performance was on another level. They played with a high tempo and wanted to win more than the Fulham side that was facing them. Credit where credit is due though and Marcus Bettinelli was simply man of the match in my eyes, his wonder saves helped us keep the score line from getting embarrassing – proving himself that he is ready for the national setup.

It was always going to be a tougher game than the cup clash earlier this year, but after watching the game it is clear we lacked some experience, and considering we've had Dickson Etuhu training with us, it was crying out for him to get on the pitch if that was an option. Sadly, the only options on our bench were very fragile in the form of Thomas Eisfeld & Emerson Hyndman. Part of me, and I'm scared that I'm saying this but, I would have put on Fotheringham if he was on the bench for some experience. It would have helped break down the stampede of attacks that were thrown at us. But this is where we will need to strengthen in the January window. A solid, strong central presence whose main game is literally shutting down opponents and giving it to the creative folks. Derek Boateng or Dickson Etuhu kind of player who will be a brick wall in the centre of the pitch – No nonsense.

Well done to all the fans who bought tickets, some reports say that Fulham's allocation sold out within the first hour of being on sale which is great news!

Playoffs is still an option for this season, but it's going to be incredibly tough as we have to average more than two points a game for the mathematicians amongst us. But, at the end of the day we have January to hopefully bring back a few loanees in the likes of Ryan Tunnicliffe, Alex Kacaniklic and Jack Grimmer who would provide some serious strength in this division. Not only that, but the squad will get re-vamped under Kit Symons so expect the Felix flops to be sent out of the club to free up the wage bill.

What will be the focus will be players who know this division and will be capable of pushing Fulham for a late promotion push, or be strong enough to push Fulham into promotion chasing outfit the following season. We must remember that January isn't all about improving the squad we will most likely lose Chris David, Bryan Ruiz and Patrick Roberts. Roberts will most likely remain on loan with the club until the end of the season and should command a sizeable fee to help recruit new players. But he's tipped as one of the England youngsters who will play a big part in the future of the national setup, so expect a series of big clubs incoming for him. Bryan's contract runs out in the summer so any offer in the region of £3m-£4m will make the board sell and David looks destined to return to Holland after falling out of favour with Kit.

Whatever happens, it will be full of excitement and this season will get better and the squad will continue to grow as a unit under Kit Symons.

http://www.london24.com/sport/football/clubs/fulham/the_craven_corner_brentford_were_on_another_level_and_fulham_must_strengthen_in_january_1_3860519

WhiteJC

Symons making steady progress

Fulham boss Kit Symons believes his team are improving all the time and has challenged them to go on another unbeaten run.

There has been a marked improvement in the performances and results of the Cottagers since Symons took charge of the team in September following Felix Magath's departure. The west London side have moved out of the relegation zone under the former Wales international's guidance and were on a six game unbeaten run heading into Friday's derby with Brentford. While the Bees were able to get the better of Fulham, Symons was not too downbeat about the defeat, claiming there is plenty to come from his side. "My focus is fully on improving us and making us better," said Symons. "I feel like since day one it has been my team. I've been delighted with the response that the players and everyone at the club has given me and I couldn't have asked for more. "It takes time. It is a work in progress for sure. That was the end of a really good unbeaten run for us. Let's go again for another one."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/championship/symons-making-steady-progress-1748618.html?

WhiteJC

Grimmer Recalled

Jack Grimmer's loan spell at Shrewsbury Town has been cut short after Fulham Football Club exercised a recall clause in the arrangement.

The 20-year-old, who usually plays at centre-back or right-back, turned out seven times for the Shrews. He started each game in a run of five straight victories in Sky Bet League Two, and played 90 minutes in the narrow 2-1 home defeat against Chelsea in the Capital One Cup.

His initial one-month loan deal, signed on Saturday October 18th, had been extended until Saturday January 3rd, but the Scotland Under-21 international will now return to Motspur Park.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2014/november/24/grimmer-recalled?

WhiteJC

Grimmer Returns to Fulham

Youngster recalled by parent club

Young defender Jack Grimmer has returned to Fulham after the London club triggered the recall clause in the loan agreement.

Fulham are missing a number of players in Jack's position through suspension and injury and have recalled Jack to help ease these problems.

Jack has impressed staff and the club and fans alike with his performances in the Shrewsbury Town shirt since making his debut for Town in the 1-0 win at York City in October.

He's made seven appearances in the league and Capital One Cup and shown that he should have a bright future in football with his improving performances.  His last game for Town was the 3-2 defeat at Exeter but he once again showed his ability to create chances with the ball for James Collins second goal as well as a number of other good chances.

The news comes as a blow to Town manager Micky Mellon but he has been pleased with Jack contribution both on and off the pitch;"Jack has been a delight to work with and is a credit to Fulham and to himself.

"He has continued to develop in his time with us and with the games he's players and returns to Fulham a better player for it.

"I spoke to Jack and he's thanked everyone at the club and the fans for the support and reception he's received during his time at Shrewsbury.

"We wish him well for the future and will continue to watch his development with interest."

Read more at http://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/article/grimmer-returns-to-fulham-2102471.aspx#3PFMKfZGc7HTxmUy.99

WhiteJC

Young Defender Recalled!

With the defence lacking in numbers ahead of our trip to Brighton this weekend, Kit Symons has taken the opportunity to recall Jack Grimmer.

For the trip to Brighton, Kit Symons is likely to be without the injured duo of Tim Hoogland and Fernando Amorebieta, he`ll also have to cope without the suspended Da Burn.

Therefore, it appears a wise decision to recall Jack Grimmer from his loan spell at League Two Shrewsbury Town.

Whilst on loan at Shrewsbury, Grimmer made seven appearances and was part of the Shrewsbury side that pushed Chelsea all the way in the Capital One Cup.

Whether Grimmer gets to play, at either of his favoured positions of right-back or centre-back remains to be seen but welcome back Jack.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=377805#ixzz3K3HAg6Lv

WhiteJC

Town's Jack Grimmer is recalled by Fulham
Fulham have recalled defender Jack Grimmer from his loan spell at Shrewsbury Town.

The 20-year-old full-back had his initial 28 day loan extended earlier this month until January 3.

However, the Championship outfit have now recalled him due to shortage of fit first-team defenders. It leaves Town are now short in the right wing-back position.

Manager Micky Mellon previously stating he doesn't think it's a role suited to Cameron Gayle, while he sees Jermaine Grandison as a centre-half.

Grimmer has impressed for Salop since making his debut in the 1-0 win at York City in October.

In total he made seven appearances in blue and amber in both the league and Capital One Cup.

Boss Mellon said: "Jack has been a delight to work with and is a credit to Fulham and to himself.

"He has continued to develop in his time with us and returns to Fulham a better player for it.

"I spoke to Jack and he's thanked everyone at the club and the fans for the support and reception he's received during his time at Shrewsbury.

"We wish him well for the future and will continue to watch his development with interest."

Grimmer turned to Twitter to thank the club and fans for their support during his loan spell.

He said: "Loved every minute of my short spell at @shrewsweb great lads, staff, fans and club! #promotion"

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/shrewsbury-town-fc/2014/11/24/towns-jack-grimmer-is-recalled-by-fulham/?