watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

One for The Old Sods

Started by Fernhurst, November 24, 2014, 09:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fernhurst

Took me two blooming hours today to remember....

Playing Brighton Saturday, and in quiet reverie my mind wandered back to my days prior to reaching 10 years old.
Occasionally watched Watford as a mate at school was a fan...... Arrived at Vicarage Road early hoping for a few autographs and waited patiently for  the away team (Brighton) bus to turn up.
I was delighted to find the first person off was a famous comedian of the day.
Could I remember his name today, was up and down Google trying to find out but eventually it came to me....... Lance Percival  ..... who remembers him? Bounded up to him and he kindly took my pen and book but to my horror the pen didn't work. Can't remember one of their players that day from the 1956/7 squad but will always remember Lance.

Further examination of Google revealed he is still alive (81) and is listed on other team in Fulham's official web site as a celebrity fan!!!! Also on their list is our own Sean Davis!!

Ah well, just musing.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

spikey norman

Quote from: Fernhurst on November 24, 2014, 09:51:15 PM
Took me two blooming hours today to remember....

Playing Brighton Saturday, and in quiet reverie my mind wandered back to my days prior to reaching 10 years old.
Occasionally watched Watford as a mate at school was a fan...... Arrived at Vicarage Road early hoping for a few autographs and waited patiently for  the away team (Brighton) bus to turn up.
I was delighted to find the first person off was a famous comedian of the day.
Could I remember his name today, was up and down Google trying to find out but eventually it came to me....... Lance Percival  ..... who remembers him? Bounded up to him and he kindly took my pen and book but to my horror the pen didn't work. Can't remember one of their players that day from the 1956/7 squad but will always remember Lance.

Further examination of Google revealed he is still alive (81) and is listed on other team in Fulham's official web site as a celebrity fan!!!! Also on their list is our own Sean Davis!!

Ah well, just musing.

Remember him in quite a few comedy TV/films mainly for his teeth

Mince n Tatties

Beamer

Didn't he used to sing little calypso type ditties playing a guitar as part of his act (or have I confused him).

keith

He sounded a bit like Kenneth Williams. I think he was a member of the `That Was The Week That Was' team?.

TonyGilroy

I thought he was dead but he obviously isn't.

He'd have been young and unknown in 1956/7 though. It was That Was The Week That Was in 1961 that got him his break.

Holders

I remember him but havn't seen him for a bit, didn't realise he'd be so old now! He was a bit like a cross between Kenneth Williams and Cardew Robinson. Likeable chap.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ron

Quote from: Beamer on November 25, 2014, 08:17:07 AM
Didn't he used to sing little calypso type ditties playing a guitar as part of his act (or have I confused him).

Remember that one with the puns on the names of vegetables  "...Gladys is guzzling radishes any time, my dear old auntie chokes on artichokes....." culminating in "and if you like me then I'll beetroot to you...."    Ouch!

....I think you have to hear it for yourselves though. :033:

Holders

Does anyone remember - or, better still, have the words to - Kenneth Williams' Ma Crepe Suzette?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTlmeBBFLXg
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

bog

Morning fellow old sod. My memories are....Yes he on That Was The Week that Was. Used to stand in front of the audience  with his guitar and whatever member of the audience said he would make a rhyme out of it. He was in some of the Carry On films, later he had an horrendous car accident which left him with many facial scars.

092.gif

bog

Here's a name from that Brighton squad Fernhurst, I think....Mike Tiddy. I think he was winger and he had a natural grey streak in his black hair. Dear oh dear 58 years ago...

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: Holders on November 25, 2014, 09:22:11 AM
I remember him but havn't seen him for a bit, didn't realise he'd be so old now! He was a bit like a cross between Kenneth Williams and Cardew Robinson. Likeable chap.

Yes Im sure Percival..Williams..Robinson were sired by the same stallion.. :005:

Woodlawn

Lance Percival had a top 40 record in October 1965 with Shame & Scandal in the Family, It would no doubt be banned today as it is not PC  maybe its  on you tube Just checked it is on youtube  have a listen

Fulham1959

I had a similar pen-not-working mishap.

Summer 1962, and me and a pal decided to go down to the Victoria Ground, Stoke (2 bus trips away) to see if we could get any autographs, with the team in pre-season training - or so we were hoping.

Not much going on when we got there but we decided to pop our heads around the slightly-ajar wooden gated door, being the very primitive Players' Entrance.  Wonder of wonders, we spotted Stan Matthews talking to someone, and shouted (but not too loud) asking for an autograph.

He came down to the door, signed our books "S. Matthews' and then said, "Now run along, lads".  We then examined our autographs by the nearby sweet shop window and, to my horror, I found that my pen had not started writing until the 'M'.  I then went over the 'S', immediately invalidating the autograph !  For some odd reason, too, it was a biro with red ink.

I lost/mislaid the autograph book many years ago, which is unusual for me as I tend to hoard items with nostalgic value.  It was such a big thing locally, Stan Matthews returning to Stoke from Blackpool as the prodigal son at the age of 46, and Stoke won promotion to the top level in season 1962-63.

As an impressionable 14-year-old, and with the same initials as Stan, I actually changed the way I signed my name to roughly replicate Stan's autograph which had been reproduced quite a lot around that time in souvenir publications.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Quote from: Woodlawn on November 25, 2014, 10:03:11 AM
Lance Percival had a top 40 record in October 1965 with Shame & Scandal in the Family, It would no doubt be banned today as it is not PC  maybe its  on you tube Just checked it is on youtube  have a listen

Ha Ha I remember that, very funny @ the time

Kenneth Williams compared International Caberet & as well as a platform for his nasal inclinations they had some terrific ground breaking acts on the show

Great stuff!