more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bryan Ruiz

Started by Southcoastffc, December 01, 2014, 10:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nose

Quote from: colinwhite on December 01, 2014, 06:49:27 PM
the real question surrounding Ruiz starts with the how do we want to play football ?
If we are fans that appreciate a slick passing team , with a lot of one touch football and clever resolutions to problems in tricky situations , then we admire Ruiz . If we want pace ,hard tackling , energy , and the appearance of 100 effort at all times then we will struggle with Ruiz and don't rate him .
One man s cool/calm , unflustered is another mans  casual ,lazy not caring way to play the game . Just because you don't  bomb around all over the place ,blast the ball at goal when you get anywhere near the opponents box or  dare to hold the ball when it would be easier to send it aimlessly forward ,doesn't in my book make you a lesser player . On the contrary Ruiz has been very good for us (as was hyndman on saturday ), since he came back into the team under kit .
I watched the replay ,(ok through my biased eyes ) but thought we were always the better team and controlled the match apart from a few pressure periods , from start to finish against Brighton .

actually whilst i appreciate what you are saying my issue with ruiz is all that i have said before... we could play any style and he would be just as poor
in england the opposition press and harry and challenge quickly...ruiz wants half an hour to bruc=sh his hair and think about what's on tv and then gets going...he is to slow and too weak for the english game.

i really think that if we are too progress we need 11 ploayers playing every week, currently we have 10.

YankeeJim

I have always felt that Ruiz has lots of ability when used properly. He is not a winger and never will be. Jol badly miss-used him which got so many on his case. If he had come in this season I don't think he would cause such a controversy. I think BedsFFC nailed it. Fulham fans loved McBride because of his never say die courage, not because of his talent.  Ruiz brings some good things to the team and gets way more than his fair share of the crap. Judgments made are seldom changed. With  the exception of Baird , I can't think of another player who started out being hated and than grew to being an icon.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

BedsFFC

Quote from: nose on December 01, 2014, 07:29:58 PM
Quote from: colinwhite on December 01, 2014, 06:49:27 PM
the real question surrounding Ruiz starts with the how do we want to play football ?
If we are fans that appreciate a slick passing team , with a lot of one touch football and clever resolutions to problems in tricky situations , then we admire Ruiz . If we want pace ,hard tackling , energy , and the appearance of 100 effort at all times then we will struggle with Ruiz and don't rate him .
One man s cool/calm , unflustered is another mans  casual ,lazy not caring way to play the game . Just because you don't  bomb around all over the place ,blast the ball at goal when you get anywhere near the opponents box or  dare to hold the ball when it would be easier to send it aimlessly forward ,doesn't in my book make you a lesser player . On the contrary Ruiz has been very good for us (as was hyndman on saturday ), since he came back into the team under kit .
I watched the replay ,(ok through my biased eyes ) but thought we were always the better team and controlled the match apart from a few pressure periods , from start to finish against Brighton .

actually whilst i appreciate what you are saying my issue with ruiz is all that i have said before... we could play any style and he would be just as poor
in england the opposition press and harry and challenge quickly...ruiz wants half an hour to bruc=sh his hair and think about what's on tv and then gets going...he is to slow and too weak for the english game.

i really think that if we are too progress we need 11 ploayers playing every week, currently we have 10.

You and I support the same team, but that is where our similarities end, in regards the beautiful game.

Can I suggest that just for one game before Ruiz leaves us, take the hat off that looks at what he does wrong and just concentrate at what he does right. It should be a nice experience.

We go into any game with an average rate of scoring of 1.5 goals a game. Come to terms with the fact that we need to score to have any chance of winning. Then think of Ruiz as an asset to that end. If he then creates, say 4 opportunities for someone to score, isn't that a good performance?
That's what he does. Game in, game out.

I couldn't give a flying F that a pass goes astray or he doesn't track back. F that. Leave that to the work horses.

If I was the manager, I would say to Ruiz, stick in final 3rd, do damage there, leave the rest to other players

RidgeRider

Quote from: BedsFFC on December 01, 2014, 05:00:36 PM
I kind of made a decision not to get drawn into the Ruiz debate as I really dont think it matters. Certain people will always think he is rubbish (the abuse he gets on matchdays by people on here watching a feed is crazy) and other people will think he is our standout player.

Without in anyway wanting to sound patronising, there is a certain English mentality that will never like Ruiz, because of the way he plays. We want our players to wear their heart on the sleeve and give 150%. You can be an avergae player but do that...and we love you.

I think he is starting to do some of the more dirty work this season as he probably know sees that this is what we want. I'm sure when he leaves and goes abroad, he will stop doing that and other fans will love him for what he brings at the other end.

Yes, he does lose the ball and yes some passes go astray. So, does every one of our team. I'm sure at the end of the season, he will have most passes made and a very high success pass %. His assists will be at the top and he will get a few goals.

I have South American friends (in fact, one is a close pal of Hugo) and they watch a game and just say...Wow, Ruiz is a class above all the players on the pitch. And he is.

You know, there are quite a few fans of Barcelona who don't like Messi as he doesn't run enough. Tis true.

Lots of really good posts on this topic, but this one most closely captures my thoughts about the Ruiz debate. Well done sir.  065.gif

f bloke

Has there ever been such a marmite player for us. When he first joined over the course of 90 minutes I was a little underwhelmed but he would do one or two things a game that were good and I thought maybe. I remember him putting in one performance against arsenal when he was very very good. But his very very good performances have been few and far between. I also think he has been found out in this country.  He never liked being pressed but I also think that he I has become easy to read and neutralise due to the way he receives the ball and the need to receive on his left foot.  He is easily shepherded into a position where his default play is to receive and lay off or a simple lateral pass. He rarely passes forward these days. for a so called creative player he no longer creates very much, particularly from open play. If he is to be judged on his current creativity and open play assists he would be receiving low marks right now

Although his reputation is that of an Artiste, I think magnolia when I now watch him play - at the best safe and steady, backwards and sideways,  a good first touch but no real threat and no real positive creative contribution.

It is also intersting to see how the debate of his supporters have changed from him being a class act with the ability to do things that no other player at this club/this league can do to more prosaic qualities like good at defensive headers, now putting in more of a shift, good for team shape etc. but none of these arguments are particularly convincing in my eyes and I think we have other players who can do these more prosaic tasks better and who are equally or more creative than a he has shown of late

If we didn't have other potentially better options I wouldnt mind so much, but I think we do.
For me he is not consistently creative enough, I think he unbalances the team and I think we have better options. He would not be in my starting line up

Whitesideup

Quote from: f bloke on December 01, 2014, 11:08:20 PM
Has there ever been such a marmite player for us. When he first joined over the course of 90 minutes I was a little underwhelmed but he would do one or two things a game that were good and I thought maybe. I remember him putting in one performance against arsenal when he was very very good. But his very very good performances have been few and far between. I also think he has been found out in this country.  He never liked being pressed but I also think that he I has become easy to read and neutralise due to the way he receives the ball and the need to receive on his left foot.  He is easily shepherded into a position where his default play is to receive and lay off or a simple lateral pass. He rarely passes forward these days. for a so called creative player he no longer creates very much, particularly from open play. If he is to be judged on his current creativity and open play assists he would be receiving low marks right now

Although his reputation is that of an Artiste, I think magnolia when I now watch him play - at the best safe and steady, backwards and sideways,  a good first touch but no real threat and no real positive creative contribution.

It is also intersting to see how the debate of his supporters have changed from him being a class act with the ability to do things that no other player at this club/this league can do to more prosaic qualities like good at defensive headers, now putting in more of a shift, good for team shape etc. but none of these arguments are particularly convincing in my eyes and I think we have other players who can do these more prosaic tasks better and who are equally or more creative than a he has shown of late

If we didn't have other potentially better options I wouldnt mind so much, but I think we do.
For me he is not consistently creative enough, I think he unbalances the team and I think we have better options. He would not be in my starting line up
I agree with the above post. And I don't see the four or more goalscoring opportunities that he is supposedly creating every game. What I do see is a lack of influence, an inability to impose himself on the game when the going gets tough. So Brighton or Bolton ..hey ho. But when a team takes the game to us, eg Brentford, Ruiz does not make the contribution he should. Good players deliver against good teams, it's what separates them. I am not saying others are doing that brilliantly either at these stages of the game, and Parker, despite some good games, does not look like the Championship's best and most influential midfielder. Williams also can be very quiet. But Ruiz has been subbed loads and it's not because of a lack of fitness. These substitutions are indicative of his performance.

fulhamben

Quote from: Whitesideup on December 01, 2014, 11:26:32 PM
Quote from: f bloke on December 01, 2014, 11:08:20 PM

I agree with the above post. And I don't see the four or more goalscoring opportunities that he is supposedly creating every game. What I do see is a lack of influence, an inability to impose himself on the game when the going gets tough. So Brighton or Bolton ..hey ho. But when a team takes the game to us, eg Brentford, Ruiz does not make the contribution he should. Good players deliver against good teams, it's what separates them. I am not saying others are doing that brilliantly either at these stages of the game, and Parker, despite some good games, does not look like the Championship's best and most influential midfielder. Williams also can be very quiet. But Ruiz has been subbed loads and it's not because of a lack of fitness. These substitutions are indicative of his performance.
i think the ruiz sub is a bit of naivity from kit aswell though. its like he knows he has to do something, but doesnt know what, other than subbing ruiz. its a bit like last season all over. before a ball was kicked, you knew richardson was coming off, after about 20 mins and then parker after 60. same this season, you just know ruiz will be subbed and a left or right back
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

crazycottager

i like bryan, always have, always will, and though i tend to avoid the ruiz debate, he does far more than people think, and the fact that he's playing well is excellent, and i don't get what the ruiz bashers get so on him for, he plays the game at walking speed? all footballers do at some point in the match. i hope we get bryan happy with us again, because the way we're going, i don't want him to leave yet! but at the end of the day, i think he needs to move on after this season, it isn't working out and he needs to revive his career elsewhere, although i have a ton of respect for him.

Black, White and Fred

He seems to pick his days, first half against Brentford he did nothing. But against BHA he helped the cause even if you just count his 'assist'. Expecting Bryan to be able to track back is like expecting and Elephant to hopscotch, it's just not going to happen. Which can be frustrating as he only usually plays 70 minutes, but I bet he will be off in January so might as well get all the use out of him now.
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

snarks

Yes the debate from pro Ruiz supporters has changed to the graft, defence etc, I think mainly because they would say if you can't see the pass, the creativity he brings to the side now then trying to reinforce that aspect is a lost cause. Therefore highlighting what else he brings to the team is the only way.

Last season in the prem under Jol, I wasn't impressed, watching him in the world cup I was frustrated (why can't he do that for Fulham). This season there is no one I would play instead of him since he came into the team. Yes he frustrates the hell out of me at times with a misplaced pass or losing the ball in a bad area, then you see a run or a turn and pass or just taking a player on (it amazes me how often he gets a lucky rebound in a tackle go his way) and I think he's fine.

RaySmith

He's looked brilliant -a game changer-when he has time and space. As in the WC, on our summer tour of Costa Rica, and most recently at home to Bolton.

But without the space and time he can appear frustrating -but I have always thought him a hard worker, who tries his best for the team, and is a disciplined team player, whose good points of finding space, passing, closing down- often go unsung, while his negative points - can be slow on the ball and lose possession in a crowded, hard tackling midfield- are highlighted.

But I was very impressed with him at Brighton, and thought he played an important role in out victory.

cmg

The fact that the upturn in our fortunes started at the same time as Ruiz's return cannot, surely, be written off as mere coincidence or the Kit-factor.

Quote from: RaySmith on December 02, 2014, 09:18:03 AM
He's looked brilliant -a game changer-when he has time and space.

This sums it up perfectly and is why he can be so frustrating. Look at the replay of Saturday's game. Everytime he recieves the ball with back to goal he has to bring it on to his left foot. That, coupled with the fact that he is not blessed with great early pace, makes him all too easy to mark. He is an intelligent player with good vision and a fine striker of the ball but his limitations are those which most disadvatage him in the English game and why he was so effective in the wide-open spaces and optional marking of the Eridivisie. He might be better if he recieved more of the ball in front of him to run on to, but this requires a more ambitious passing game than we currently employ (although we are beginning to see the kind of players with this kind of ability).

fulhamben

Quote from: cmg on December 02, 2014, 09:43:27 AM
The fact that the upturn in our fortunes started at the same time as Ruiz's return cannot, surely, be written off as mere coincidence or the Kit-factor.

Quote from: RaySmith on December 02, 2014, 09:18:03 AM
He's looked brilliant -a game changer-when he has time and space.

This sums it up perfectly and is why he can be so frustrating. Look at the replay of Saturday's game. Everytime he recieves the ball with back to goal he has to bring it on to his left foot. That, coupled with the fact that he is not blessed with great early pace, makes him all too easy to mark. He is an intelligent player with good vision and a fine striker of the ball but his limitations are those which most disadvatage him in the English game and why he was so effective in the wide-open spaces and optional marking of the Eridivisie. He might be better if he recieved more of the ball in front of him to run on to, but this requires a more ambitious passing game than we currently employ (although we are beginning to see the kind of players with this kind of ability).
so Ruiz's problem is that the 3 behind him cant pick a pass. which is fair enough as everyone has said we need a new cm. and every player will try to get the ball on too their stronger foot if they can

cmg

On the subject of savoury spreads, I don't think it's quite right to describe Bryan as the ultimate Marmite player. I think most respect his talent and those who are not fans of his don't tend to react to him with disgust and loathing.

No, I think Berbatov takes the ultimate Marmite award. He was either hated or loved. And even those, like me, who thought him to be fantastic could find that too much was not good for your health. I love Marmite, but it gives me gout.

cmg

Quote from: fulhamben on December 02, 2014, 10:10:22 AM
so Ruiz's problem is that the 3 behind him cant pick a pass. which is fair enough as everyone has said we need a new cm.

Well, this is not quite what I said, was it? I said he may be seen to better advatage if we did use a more ambitious passing game. :54:

And, yes, players will tend to try to get the ball onto their stronger foot if they can (it now, it seems, being coaching policy not to try to make players two-footed). But not, surely, to the extent that is Bryan's hallmark. Basically he doesn't have a stronger and a weaker foot - he only has a left one. Ferenc Puskas got away with it for years - but, unfortunately, Bryan ain't him.

fulhamben

Quote from: cmg on December 02, 2014, 10:26:39 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on December 02, 2014, 10:10:22 AM
so Ruiz's problem is that the 3 behind him cant pick a pass. which is fair enough as everyone has said we need a new cm.

Well, this is not quite what I said, was it? I said he may be seen to better advatage if we did use a more ambitious passing game. :54:

And, yes, players will tend to try to get the ball onto their stronger foot if they can (it now, it seems, being coaching policy not to try to make players two-footed). But not, surely, to the extent that is Bryan's hallmark. Basically he doesn't have a stronger and a weaker foot - he only has a left one. Ferenc Puskas got away with it for years - but, unfortunately, Bryan ain't him.
SOMETIMES I WISH PLAYERS ONLY HAD ONE FOOT. HOW MANY TIMES DID DUFF GO TO THE BUY LINE JUST FOR HIS CROSS TO GO OUT FOR A GROUND KICK. sorry caps was on and cant be bothered to re type.

Ubik

I'm not too down on Ruiz, but think Hyndman (or David) should be getting his minutes insetad -- based on Magath's principle that Ruiz will be off, and doesn't really want to be here.

Not convinced our points tally would be much different with or without him in the team, and not convinced his eventual price-tag will much different just because he's been playing, either.

domprague

How did you feel when we did that with Ross?

Quote from: J.Perkins on December 01, 2014, 10:39:59 AM
I'm happy he's playing well, centrally, at the moment. However, I didn't expect us to pay £10m for a decent Championship player.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

J.Perkins

Quote from: domprague on December 02, 2014, 03:16:16 PM
How did you feel when we did that with Ross?

Quote from: J.Perkins on December 01, 2014, 10:39:59 AM
I'm happy he's playing well, centrally, at the moment. However, I didn't expect us to pay £10m for a decent Championship player.

It was hard to word what I wanted to say. We were a good PL side when we signed Ruiz, and I thought Ruiz would enhance that team even more, not just an average Championship team