watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bryan Ruiz

Started by Southcoastffc, December 01, 2014, 10:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Can I politely suggest that anyone doubting the contribution made by Bryan Ruiz to the team should look at the replay of the Brighton game.  I have been as frustrated as anyone by his 'performances' over the past couple of years but, currently, he is doing very good things for us.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Fernhurst

I don't like doing this normally but:

:plus one:
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

fulhamben

yes, but trotta scored in the third division on saturday so ruiz should be replaced by mat smith ;)
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

J.Perkins

I'm happy he's playing well, centrally, at the moment. However, I didn't expect us to pay £10m for a decent Championship player.

snarks

I've been happy with his performances since he came back in to the team, overall. I think he has the tedancy to lose the ball to easily sometimes,  but he does a lot of unseen work, defence headers marking at corners, closing the man down.

I think because he is high profile his mistakes are more glaringly obvious than most others, or certainly seizd upon more than others. I would certainly rather have him in the team than not.

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: J.Perkins on December 01, 2014, 10:39:59 AM
I'm happy he's playing well, centrally, at the moment. However, I didn't expect us to pay £10m for a decent Championship player.

The fact of the matter is that most Eredivisie strikers haven't been nearly as good as they've seemed in recent years and PL teams have continued to overpay for them hoping to hit the lottery for the once in a blue moon player whose game translates well to our league(s). I don't believe Fulham were any different in choosing Bryan.

From what I've seen and read this season, he's a player who is dissatisfied with his current situation but has remained 100% professional in honoring the contract he signed. He's done well for us. I hope he continues his form and commitment to the club, at the very least, and that we can find a suitor and deal that benefits both Fulham and Bryan.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Southcoastffc

But the reality is that, for fans, it really doesn't matter whether we paid £10m or £10k for him, only that he does well for the team.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

filham

I have always felt that Brian was a failure at Fulham but this season he has earned respect in settling in and doing a job and actually his work rate is good.

It has always been recognised that he has a high level of skill but we are not seeing the brilliance and goals that we always expected from an £11m signing. Perhaps we should stop expecting match winning performances from him and just look upon him as a good championship player.

Twig

Quote from: filham on December 01, 2014, 03:48:04 PM
I have always felt that Brian was a failure at Fulham but this season he has earned respect in settling in and doing a job and actually his work rate is good.

It has always been recognised that he has a high level of skill but we are not seeing the brilliance and goals that we always expected from an £11m signing. Perhaps we should stop expecting match winning performances from him and just look upon him as a good championship player.

Well done all, thus far this thread is fair and balanced, unusual for a Ruiz thread.  I too am a bit disappointed in his overall contribution whilst accepting that this year he has been decent.  My only other comment would be that to expect a hatfull of goals is probably unrealistic given his position which is not sufficiently advanced to provide too many scoring opportunities.

Slaphead in Qatar

you need that creative player in your team who may have bad games but can also unlock the defences and add value in the final third. bryan is currently that player for us.

nose

If being slow, getting caught in possesion, unable to deliver a corner or free kick on a regular basis, unable to hit the target, misplacing easy passes, delaying passing when a quick break is on constitutes playing well then wonderful. But for all my life these attributes that fit ruiz, have been considered bad things.

If left in acres of space and unchallenged Ruiz can show some skill, but when pressured, he does nothing much at all.

IMO if it were not for the imense overinflated price tag Ruiz would not get a sniff of a first team place and would have been gone or out on loan struggling to get into the first team at hartlepool.

I am honestly astonished so many people on this MB apologise for such a player.

I agree he tries and I agree he behaves impecably, but that is not the same as being any good. I want the best for fulham and he is not it.

nose

Quote from: Southcoastffc on December 01, 2014, 10:14:03 AM
Can I politely suggest that anyone doubting the contribution made by Bryan Ruiz to the team should look at the replay of the Brighton game.  I have been as frustrated as anyone by his 'performances' over the past couple of years but, currently, he is doing very good things for us.

Just read my post above and didn't mean to be quite so forthright.... I do understand you have a different opinion and respect that

However there is nothing lioke a good ruiz debate to set me off (used to be clint dempsey that was my favourite topic for discussion)

Southcoastffc

Quote from: nose on December 01, 2014, 04:37:35 PM

Just read my post above and didn't mean to be quite so forthright.... I do understand you have a different opinion and respect that

However there is nothing lioke a good ruiz debate to set me off (used to be clint dempsey that was my favourite topic for discussion)
Fair enough but if you have time, watch the replay and just watch him.  It will be illuminating.

nose

Quote from: Southcoastffc on December 01, 2014, 04:40:28 PM
Quote from: nose on December 01, 2014, 04:37:35 PM
Can I politely suggest that anyone doubting the contribution made by Bryan Ruiz to the team should look at the replay of the Brighton game.  I have been as frustrated as anyone by his 'performances' over the past couple of years but, currently, he is doing very good things for us.

Fair enough but if you have time, watch the replay and just watch him.  It will be illuminating.

I am going to do as you suggest when i get home, or after diner or before bed (wife does make demands on my time!!!)....  I had a friend at the game (i couldn't go but did have an excellent feed) and he said he thought ruiz should have been subbed as did the people around him and was suprised that he was star man in the Sun (I think)....

I will honestly tell you what i think as soon as I have seen the replay.

BedsFFC

I kind of made a decision not to get drawn into the Ruiz debate as I really dont think it matters. Certain people will always think he is rubbish (the abuse he gets on matchdays by people on here watching a feed is crazy) and other people will think he is our standout player.

Without in anyway wanting to sound patronising, there is a certain English mentality that will never like Ruiz, because of the way he plays. We want our players to wear their heart on the sleeve and give 150%. You can be an avergae player but do that...and we love you.

I think he is starting to do some of the more dirty work this season as he probably know sees that this is what we want. I'm sure when he leaves and goes abroad, he will stop doing that and other fans will love him for what he brings at the other end.

Yes, he does lose the ball and yes some passes go astray. So, does every one of our team. I'm sure at the end of the season, he will have most passes made and a very high success pass %. His assists will be at the top and he will get a few goals.

I have South American friends (in fact, one is a close pal of Hugo) and they watch a game and just say...Wow, Ruiz is a class above all the players on the pitch. And he is.

You know, there are quite a few fans of Barcelona who don't like Messi as he doesn't run enough. Tis true.

premFlem

He has the poise and grace of a player that should be much better than he actually is.
I wish him all the best in January.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

Berserker

Well I'm going to add my usual I think Bryan is great comment xxxx
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

ChesterTheTabby

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on December 01, 2014, 01:11:44 PM

The fact of the matter is that most Eredivisie strikers haven't been nearly as good as they've seemed in recent years and PL teams have continued to overpay for them hoping to hit the lottery for the once in a blue moon player whose game translates well to our league(s). I don't believe Fulham were any different in choosing Bryan.

From what I've seen and read this season, he's a player who is dissatisfied with his current situation but has remained 100% professional in honoring the contract he signed. He's done well for us. I hope he continues his form and commitment to the club, at the very least, and that we can find a suitor and deal that benefits both Fulham and Bryan.

0001.jpeg 0001.jpeg
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

YoungsBitter

Quote from: BedsFFC on December 01, 2014, 05:00:36 PM
I kind of made a decision not to get drawn into the Ruiz debate as I really dont think it matters. Certain people will always think he is rubbish (the abuse he gets on matchdays by people on here watching a feed is crazy) and other people will think he is our standout player.

Without in anyway wanting to sound patronising, there is a certain English mentality that will never like Ruiz, because of the way he plays. We want our players to wear their heart on the sleeve and give 150%. You can be an avergae player but do that...and we love you.

I think he is starting to do some of the more dirty work this season as he probably know sees that this is what we want. I'm sure when he leaves and goes abroad, he will stop doing that and other fans will love him for what he brings at the other end.

Yes, he does lose the ball and yes some passes go astray. So, does every one of our team. I'm sure at the end of the season, he will have most passes made and a very high success pass %. His assists will be at the top and he will get a few goals.

I have South American friends (in fact, one is a close pal of Hugo) and they watch a game and just say...Wow, Ruiz is a class above all the players on the pitch. And he is.

You know, there are quite a few fans of Barcelona who don't like Messi as he doesn't run enough. Tis true.

Very balanced view and one I agree with. He does frustrate at times by not releasing the ball quickly enough or getting caught in possession but as you say we are not blessed with a single player who you cannot say has no flaws, for example I love McCormack but wish he would make better decisions sometimes and shoot when he has the option rather than try the clever set up pass, Hugo, who is everyone's hero of late also regularly misses complete sitters, every comment about Ruiz slowing the game also applies at times to Parker.

I will say as evidenced by the games I have watched of late Ruiz is really putting a shift in defensively which shows he is putting the effort in for the team. If he stays and Kit does not stick him out wide right I would be very happy to see him in Fulham shirt every week.
Quark, strangeness and charm

colinwhite

the real question surrounding Ruiz starts with the how do we want to play football ?
If we are fans that appreciate a slick passing team , with a lot of one touch football and clever resolutions to problems in tricky situations , then we admire Ruiz . If we want pace ,hard tackling , energy , and the appearance of 100 effort at all times then we will struggle with Ruiz and don't rate him .
One man s cool/calm , unflustered is another mans  casual ,lazy not caring way to play the game . Just because you don't  bomb around all over the place ,blast the ball at goal when you get anywhere near the opponents box or  dare to hold the ball when it would be easier to send it aimlessly forward ,doesn't in my book make you a lesser player . On the contrary Ruiz has been very good for us (as was hyndman on saturday ), since he came back into the team under kit .
I watched the replay ,(ok through my biased eyes ) but thought we were always the better team and controlled the match apart from a few pressure periods , from start to finish against Brighton .