News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Why Are We Still Using The Diamond Formation?

Started by Forever Fulham, December 01, 2014, 07:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

If Goals Against is any indication, it isn't working.  There's got to be a better way.

f321ffc

:dead horse: DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER :dead horse:
Growing old is mandatory
Growing up is optional

Rhys Lightning 63

This is where I'm gonna need some help from someone who has gone to more games this season than me. Is it ACTUALLY a diamond (4-1-2-1-2), or is it more of a 4-3-1-2 that we are playing? Or is it a mixture of the two?
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

MJG

It started as a proper narrow diamond with Magath 4-1-2-1-2 and then Kit made it 4-3-1-2 and then he's gone back to 4-4-2 for a few games and then on Saturday it was 4-3-1-2 which is the only formation Ruiz can play in and be anything like effective.

Threw in Ruiz as he's in every other thread and didn't want him to miss out :-)

alexbishop

Whatever it is I don't think its effective but with ur lack of wingers in the squad we are kinda limited
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

ChesterTheTabby

We must remember - Yes we are still allowing goals in, however 10 were conceded with Mr. Pajamas in goal under Felix Magath. Under Kit and with his team setup we have let in a lot less. That being said, the defense does need to be sorted out because it's quite leaky.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Andy S

The diamond works well in the lower leagues and we have picked up a fair few points of late. We need a couple of signings in January and we will be pushing for the play offs.

TonyGilroy

Possibly because playing this way we're tending to score more goals than most of our opponents in the games we're playing. Or sometimes only as many. Very occasionally less.

For this we get points and we all know what that means.

Zu-Meister

Diamond is better than the flat 442 we have been using in the 3 games prior to brighton. But the formation which we should be using is 4-3-3:

Rodallega
McCormack                          David

Parker       Christensen

Holding Mid(Hoogland when fit)

Staf         Burn                 Bod          Grimmer

Bettinelli

HatterDon

I guess I'm the only guy happy with how the team has performed since Kit took over.  fp.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

eloc

diamond formation is easier for someone like parker, the field is longer than it is wide. moving side to side with wingbacks and mids means a much smaller field for his aging legs to cover. also it means that we can have a dedicated attack and defender instead of two in the middle who have to play in both roles, which we currently lack in the defensive area.

Forever Fulham

I guess it's only a diamond shape if the holding mid stays relatively the same distance back from the two outside mids, doesn't press up and 'level' the line.  And the attacking CM would likewise have to keep sufficient distance above the outside mids to maintain any semblance of a diamond shape.  And we know the high and low points of the diamond float up and back as needed, destroying the diamond shape. So maybe we should call it something else.  What we don't have, as others so rightly pointed out, is traditional vertical wide play, with greater space between players to keep defenders honest.  If we used more of the pitch within which to operate, it would be much harder for defenders to double up on key distributors.  So we don't have speed merchants on the wings.  We have a team which can possess and pass.  And off the ball movement is greatly improved under Kit.  Why not use more of the field?  Remove opponents' ability to clog the middle.  When possession is turned over, having teammates not so far in front of you, or way behind you, will mean less time for them to help meet and slow the dribbling winger.  Just a thought...

K33NY

Quote from: HatterDon on December 01, 2014, 10:14:03 PM
I guess I'm the only guy happy with how the team has performed since Kit took over.  fp.gif

Nono you have me supporting you :) I am happy as well,

mitimo

Quote from: K33NY on December 02, 2014, 06:15:00 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on December 01, 2014, 10:14:03 PM

Nono you have me supporting you :) I am happy as well,

I am happy too, but then maybe because I am so far away and only watch either highlights or video 24+ hours late.  I am not a football manager so do not presume to tell Kit how to do his job.

Brings up an interesting point, how would people on here feel about everyman and his dog telling them how to do their job every day.  I know how I would feel.

Skatzoffc

Imo, the diamond is working for us as it is more attacking, and we are strong in attacking players.

We score but we also concede as the diamond doesn't protect the back 4 as much.
The system works if u score more than them. ;-)

If we were to buy a good midfielder to work with Parker in Jan we could resort to a 442 as, unlike some on here, I do not believe we have limited wingers available.

What we have is no-one to partner Parker in a 442 formation.

Until we do, I suggest we stick with what we have.

Coyw!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

FulhamStu

Quote from: Zu-Meister on December 01, 2014, 10:10:44 PM
Diamond is better than the flat 442 we have been using in the 3 games prior to brighton. But the formation which we should be using is 4-3-3:

Rodallega
McCormack                          David

Parker       Christensen

Holding Mid(Hoogland when fit)

Staf         Burn                 Bod          Grimmer

Bettinelli

Agree with this set up.  Would suggest Forfana could play in your Parker roll with Parker as the defensive MF.  Parker would need to HOLD, he normally wants to get involved in everything and would need to be more defensive and organise from there.   Could also play a similar set up but with Woodrow and Rod up front with McCormack in the CAM role.
Agree with this

snarks

Apart from the fact that I don't think David is anything other than selfish when he plays, it's not a bad team. He had an interesting cameo against palace, top and tailed by a great goal and an outrages dive.

This season when he played under Felix, he was always trying to score when he had a sight of goal even if he was not in a good position. He's one of those players who is getting better with his absence from the squad.

jarv

Don, me too. The answer to the question is....results. Make no mistake, I think we need a top notch centre back but results are good for now.