watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Should Matches be longer?

Started by Andy S, December 08, 2014, 07:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Equalizer

How about reducing the length of the game to 60 minutes, which is then split into 15 minute 'quarters'. Then deck the players out in helmets and tights?
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: The Equalizer on December 09, 2014, 03:20:25 PM
How about reducing the length of the game to 60 minutes, which is then split into 15 minute 'quarters'. Then deck the players out in helmets and tights?

That's a good idea.
They could stop play and show adverts between each free kick, goal kick, throw, corners, drop balls and Substitutions

If we're kicking towards the Putney End start with

Betenelli, Hoogland, Burn, Hutchinson, Bodurov, Staf, Kavanagh, Amour, Parker, Voser and Grimmer.......            

Then towards the Hammy End, switch to..

Kiraly, McCormack. Roddy, Ruiz (oops) Roberts, George Williams, Dembele, Woodrow, Hyndham, LVC
and Smith.

Then if we score, swap them round again.
We could bring back Darren Freeman to go for the extra point after we score.

Including subs for unlimited injuries this means that everyone (well almost) except David will get playing time every week.

Imagine the possibilities:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this corner from the right to Wolves is being sponsored by Druggies Anonymous, a dealer at every corner"

"This throw in by Stafy is being sponsored by Bernard Mathews, Oh No it's another fowl throw"

"A special thank you to AmericanExpressRed for sponsoring the card that is being used to dismiss
Amorebietta"

"Gentleman Jims commentary is sponsored by The Friends of Ryan Shawcross"

"OK Everyone that's the end of the first quarter, the entertainment in this break will be performed by the  Mass Pipes and Drums of the American Embassy with choral accompaniment by  The Guantanamo Bay Choir"

"Why not have a tinkle or number 2 in the new carzies sponsored by Clochmerle Toilettes Chimiques, (genuine reproductions of the original Thomas Crapper & Co flushing toilets)
Enjoy a pint or two in the new Bryan Ruiz Bar, A Kartoffelpuffer in the the FelixMagath Restaurant. Both can be found in The Martin Jol Stand, or why not take a gentle stroll beside the river along the new Berbatov Walk"

Now, imagine the value for money of a 4 hour event every home game.

VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

The Equalizer

I verily laughed out loud to that! Nice work Roger!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Quote from: The Equalizer on December 09, 2014, 04:52:14 PM
I verily laughed out loud to that! Nice work Roger!

And the Thomas Crapper bit is true, he did invent the flushing toilet
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Logicalman

Yeah, but Rog, there was some report that said for the average NFL game the ball was only in play for some 12 minutes of the whole hour!!

Better idea is to reduce the time to 80 minutes, give each player electrical tape to wrap around his head, allow the player to pick the ball up and run with it, and kick it over the crossbar!  (BZ would have been good for that game)
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Cravenawin

Why don't the scoreboards keep ticking over after 90 mins so fans know exactly when whatever added time is up.

Berserker

Quote from: Cravenawin on December 10, 2014, 10:17:57 AM
Why don't the scoreboards keep ticking over after 90 mins so fans know exactly when whatever added time is up.
Yes I wish they would
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

MJG

Quote from: Berserker on December 10, 2014, 11:04:52 AM
Quote from: Cravenawin on December 10, 2014, 10:17:57 AM
Yes I wish they would
Because even in added time more time can be added by the ref, so its a moving number that only the ref knows.

HatterDon

Back in the original North American Soccer League, the ref kept time on the field. He'd signal the pressbox when to stop the clock and when to start. That way, everyone in the stadium knew how much time is left. I thought it was a mindless bit of pandering to Americans ignorant of the way football was played UNTIL .....

... one evening with less than three seconds left in the match, Bobby Moore looked up at the Alamo Stadium clock, and hoisted a 35-yard laser beam into the night and the corner of the net. Ball hits goal, clock hits zero, gun goes off, and a 0-0 draw becomes a 1-0 victory.

I believe that was the only goal he scored for us, but it is also the only goal I remember of the year and a bit tenure of the San Antonio Thunder. It DID make for some serious theater.

My opinion? The way it's done now with the clock marking the minimum extra time, should keep everyone informed.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel